IGNORED

My Swing (Golfingdad)

Golfingdad
Note: This thread is 1297 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

@Golfingdad When doing the drill, slide the foot back, but feel like you are trying to keep your heel on the ground (probably not possible, but I want you to try)

I bet you'll never guess it, but............................. straighter right leg ;)

Stephan Kostelecky

Golf Instructor

Youtube

Look like pretty good swings, how were you hitting it?

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You gotta get some shirts that stay tucked in the front, man!

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

So you're trying to straighten your left leg more at impact? I tried that myself the other day (I probably should have asked Erik or Mike first) and really liked the solid feel. Your swing really looks solid. I'm jealous of that shoulder tilt!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

How far away is that bridge..?

And, what's wrong with Purple..?

About 400 yards. ;-) That range does usually play downwind, but ... not quite that much.  I've rolled one close to the other end of the range a couple of times, which google maps tells me is 310, but that's it.

And there is nothing wrong with purple, I just don't want to typecast myself into the Barney role too much.  I actually have several sweaters of various colors. ;)

@Golfingdad   When doing the drill, slide the foot back, but feel like you are trying to keep your heel on the ground (probably not possible, but I want you to try)

I bet you'll never guess it, but............................. straighter right leg ;)

Great, thanks again Stephan!  I tried that last night in the living room, and will take it out to the range tomorrow.

Look like pretty good swings, how were you hitting it?

Meh.  Lots of push cuts yesterday.  Of course, it's the first time with that drill and the first time I got to the range since winter ended (you know what I mean - the winter that started last Thursday and ended Sunday ;)), so I was a little rusty.

You gotta get some shirts that stay tucked in the front, man!

I know.  The magic size for me is XLT or XXLT ... but unless I start shopping at the specialty "big and tall" stores, those "T" shirts are hard to find.  Plus that one is an IJP shirt meant to fit a little snug ... not exactly the right style for guys like us. :-P But it was on sale!

So you're trying to straighten your left leg more at impact? I tried that myself the other day (I probably should have asked Erik or Mike first) and really liked the solid feel.

Your swing really looks solid. I'm jealous of that shoulder tilt!

Correct.  Actually both legs, as Stephan pointed out above.  My knees tend to be really bent at impact, so it's been a haul trying to get out of that.  This latest drill is going to help though, I can tell.

I think the guys next to me at the range wanted to give me some pointers on how to stay balanced or to perhaps get shoes with better spikes while I was doing the drill, lol.

And thanks for the compliment!!  I'm working on it.  Now, if I could only get to the point where I start scoring well!  I want to be that guy (forgot his name ;)) that says this every week on his decent, but not great days ... "Today was OK, shot a 78 with a birdie and a silly double" :beer:

@Golfingdad, when I do the drill my ball flight changes to a slightly larger draw.

Noted.  I'm not sure what other goofy thing I was doing that was causing that ball flight.  I'll keep tabs on it tomorrow.  If I'm still hitting cuts with the drill, I'm obviously doing something wrong. ;)

I know.  The magic size for me is XLT or XXLT ... but unless I start shopping at the specialty "big and tall" stores, those "T" shirts are hard to find.  Plus that one is an IJP shirt meant to fit a little snug ... not exactly the right style for guys like us. :-P   But it was on sale!

I bought some XLT undershirts recently. So comfy, I wish I could find more shirts in that size.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I bought some XLT undershirts recently. So comfy, I wish I could find more shirts in that size.

You guys are about to see why I need some of these shirts coming up here in the next few hours. Or maybe I will just cut the video before things get ugly. Dang winter weight! ;)

Nate

:tmade:(11.5) :touredge:(2H) MIURA MB-101(3-PW) :mizuno:(52/56/60)

:odyssey: :snell: 

@Golfingdad   When doing the drill, slide the foot back, but feel like you are trying to keep your heel on the ground (probably not possible, but I want you to try)

Today's version of the "Norman Drill" along with a couple other swings.  I think it's a little better here with the thought of trying to keep my right heel on the ground.  And although I have no video to prove it, I think I was taking some pretty good swings after these drills today, as well. :)

Last swing looked pretty good.!  BTW, I like your shirt..

Thanks!  (Snake Eyes brand from, I believe, Golfsmith). :beer:

I still have that stupid little "hitch" from A4 to A4.1 where the shaft tips up.  Really annoying because this seems like it should be easy to eliminate.  I know what that should feel like because I do slow motion swings, poses, everything, to get into that position.  But switch to regular swing mode, and I'm still tipping out.

Looking different, looking good.

Yeah that right foot is going to feel like it's sliding forward (right pic) rather than the heel twisting back (left pic). Keep it up and keep feeling more like the right pic and that's where you'll see those big curving push draws @sk golf was talking about.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• 2 weeks later...

Had a tournament today.  Started off slow with a couple horrid bladed approach shots, and each of them led to double bogeys.  Finished horribly with a quad, which is frustrating because it was a stupid mistake.  I had 208 to the pin from the right rough, with the ball above my feet, into the wind, and had to cut it around some trees.  It would probably be a hybrid, and I wisely chose not to be a hero with that club.  But I facepalmed a few minutes later, because this pea-brain chose to hit a 4 iron instead.  If I know I'm not reaching the green anyway, then WTF am I hitting so much club??  So I hit it straight, very close to the hazard, and had a bush in my backswing, and had to hit it under a tree and over a bunker.  Hacked it around from there to an 8.  Should've just grabbed an 8 or 9 iron, put it in the fairway, and left myself with 75 yards or so for an "easy" bogey, possible par.

Could try and tell myself that I knew that I needed a par or birdie to have a chance, but that is not really true.  I just made a dumb mental mistake, and a handful of silly physical mistakes on the other three holes that I doubled, leading to an 84.  Yeah, other than 4 holes, I was +2 the rest of the day.  All in all, not so bad.  Played for the middle of the green all day, hit some good shots, some not so good, and ended up in a tie for 7th place, out of 21 competitors.  Not the worst, but it could always be better.

Next time!! :beer:

Slow start?  Three birdies through 6 holes isn't very slow in my book :-)  I assume one of the bladed approach shots was on #3?

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Slow start?  Three birdies through 6 holes isn't very slow in my book :-)  I assume one of the bladed approach shots was on #3?

It was a big tournament and they had us starting on split tees, and my flight started on #10.  Here's a quick re-cap of the mistakes:

#10 - Pretty short dogleg left par 4, with the approach shot over water.  4 iron off the tee, into the VERY mild right rough.  I had 120 left, and just rolled a gap wedge into the water.

#11 - Straightforward par 5, hit decent tee shot just into left rough, then rolled layup shot into fariway bunker 40 yards in front of me.  Next layup was pushed right, then approach just off the green into the bunker.

#12 - Short par 4, 4 iron into the fairway, another gap wedge approach, this one actually got in the air a little ... just enough to go over the entire green ... bogey.

#3 - Topped drive about 60 yards, didn't reach the fairway.  Next shot hit a 3 wood that was a little low and caught the lip of the fairway bunker, 1 foot higher and it would have rolled 80-100 yards, leaving me a 60-70 yard pitch for a chance at a par.  Had to hit a really awkward 7 iron, got it to the greenside bunker, pitched on, 2 putt double.

#9 - When I got to this tee, I was re-thinking my "no driver" strategy because it was dead into the wind and uphill.  But I hadn't hit any drivers to that point, and I wasn't about to break it out on a hole with hazard left and OB right.  Hit a decent, not great, 3 wood into the right rough.  And you know the rest.  4 iron left, chip into back bunker, 2 to get out, 3 putt, snowman.

If only ... I could have back my 2nd shot on 10, 11, and 9 and my tee shot on 3 ... that would be anywhere between 5 and 9 shots right there.  Funny game.

Note: This thread is 1297 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!