IGNORED

My Swing (Golfingdad)

Golfingdad
Note: This thread is 1295 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't want to hijack your swing thread, but the advice here raised a general question for me. Is it generally advisable to have a flatter swing plane on the downswing than on the takeaway?

Generally yes, simple answer is that going "shallow to steep" makes the downswing more complicated with how the sweetspot has to to travel to the ball. So the player can run into face, path and contact issue. No one really swings on the same plane back and through, there are some that might come close but it's never exact.

And there is obviously more to it that just the shaft angles, it's how the body is moving to achieve the change in direction.

For shot shape, this guy draws it,

and this guy fades it. It certainly is easier to draw it going "steep to shallow" but you can also fade it.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Random Note:  A little embarrassed as I realized last week that I've been misinterpreting what it means to be steeper on the backswing.  For some reason, I was looking at the arms and not the club shaft, so I was adjusting to go back straighter with my arms and less deep.  Whereas I now realize the deep hands were fine, it was just a slight rotation of the wrists and forearms that I needed there to have the club shaft steeper.

Anywho's ... :whistle:

• Upvote 1

• Administrator

Random Note:  A little embarrassed as I realized last week that I've been misinterpreting what it means to be steeper on the backswing.  For some reason, I was looking at the arms and not the club shaft, so I was adjusting to go back straighter with my arms and less deep.  Whereas I now realize the deep hands were fine, it was just a slight rotation of the wrists and forearms that I needed there to have the club shaft steeper.

Anywho's ...

It was my green lines, wasn't it? It's okay, you can tell us. You're among friends here. ;-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

A lot of pulls at this point?  Current fix for that?  Question motivated by the fact that I've had troubles pulling the ball as well when I try to exaggerate the flattening at the top.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

• Administrator
A lot of pulls at this point?  Current fix for that?  Question motivated by the fact that I've had troubles pulling the ball as well when I try to exaggerate the flattening at the top.

Pulls tend to come when doing this at this speed because the pivot pulls the arms down and there's very little natural arm-generated speed.

And perhaps more importantly, he's overdoing the palmar flexion, which is shutting the face. But that's how you learn to do it a little, and it's changing the picture.

• Upvote 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

For some reason, I was unable to upload a couple of videos into Analyzr so I couldn't draw lines on them, but I can see that there is a little progress already made here.  The clubbed actually moves a pinch to the left from A3.9 to A4.1 (instead of tipping out) and the right elbow, although it's still too far around, at least it doesn't separate from my body as much.  The best part, though, is that there is really no left wrist cupping on the way down, and the clubhead appears to be pointing nearly at the ball at A5.

This is the funnest part of this game.  Knowing that things are improving, no matter the pace. :beer:

For some reason, I was unable to upload a couple of videos into Analyzr so I couldn't draw lines on them, but I can see that there is a little progress already made here.  The clubbed actually moves a pinch to the left from A3.9 to A4.1 (instead of tipping out) and the right elbow, although it's still too far around, at least it doesn't separate from my body as much.  The best part, though, is that there is really no left wrist cupping on the way down, and the clubhead appears to be pointing nearly at the ball at A5.

This is the funnest part of this game.  Knowing that things are improving, no matter the pace.

wow.. that is looking nice.. club head at A6 looks really good too.. Was that shot a slight straight draw?

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

[QUOTE name="Abu3baid" url="/t/60622/my-swing-golfingdad/510_30#post_1133259"]   wow.. that is looking nice.. club head at A6 looks really good too.. Was that shot a slight straight draw? [/QUOTE] No, contact was crud ... :-P It was really thin and it did go straight. Pretty sure if I didn't catch it so thin, it was going to be a shank. :-O

This is the funnest part of this game.  Knowing that things are improving, no matter the pace.

Nice work....!!

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

• Administrator

Drew, be very, very careful that you're not doing it with the right shoulder…

… as you do in that video.

Drew, be very, very careful that you're not doing it with the right shoulder…

… as you do in that video.

Isolate it to the wrists, yes.  You mentioned that recently.  I will keep working on that, thank you!

EDIT:  In fact, it was just last week: :-P ...

And letting your wrist conditions lay the shaft down. Not doing it through your shoulders ...

Drew, be very, very careful that you're not doing it with the right shoulder… … as you do in that video.

Yeah, I went through a bad phase where I could lay the shaft way down but was doing it with "tippy" shoulders. A screen shot of A6 looked amazing but it was total crap in reality.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Yes Drew you do not want to shallow it out like @Crim . And @Crim I agree with the comments in your thread that you do not want to swing that way. :-)

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Nice work, GD.

Glad to see you put up a video of how you're practicing.  Very helpful. :)

Thanks!  Yeah, I've been spending the last week or so working on keeping the right shoulder soft.  To the point that I was "practicing" while walking through the zoo yesterday.  I was pushing a stroller and realized my shoulder was kind of "tense" and high - a little "shrugged," so I just kept trying to feel them as being more relaxed all of the time.  Weird, I know, but hey.

Also spent some time over the weekend trying to map an A3.9 to A4.1 that didn't involve the shoulder dropping at all - trying to develop a feel for it.

Thanks!  Yeah, I've been spending the last week or so working on keeping the right shoulder soft.  To the point that I was "practicing" while walking through the zoo yesterday.  I was pushing a stroller and realized my shoulder was kind of "tense" and high - a little "shrugged," so I just kept trying to feel them as being more relaxed all of the time.  Weird, I know, but hey.

Also spent some time over the weekend trying to map an A3.9 to A4.1 that didn't involve the shoulder dropping at all - trying to develop a feel for it.

I didn't even know people described points in a swing to decimal points, haha.

Yeah, at times I'll randomly practice my swing in the air while bsing with co-workers, and I wouldn't be surprised if they thought I was crazy, but it just kind of happens. :-$

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

These are from a drill I "made up" for myself today.  Still spending a lot of time mapping the whole swing, but also trying to get a feel for the flatter downswing at speed, I tried mapping to A4, getting the shaft shallowed out, and then swinging down from the top at full speed.  Here are a few stills from one of those swings:

A4.5:

A5:

A6:

A7:

One thing I notice is that I'm losing my posture a bit.  My head doesn't go up or down, but it moves off the ball a couple of inches through the downswing.

Note: This thread is 1295 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!