IGNORED

5SK Video Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 3035 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Bubba Watson ain't got nothing on this shoulder turn!

Yea, he writes in the book that his front foot is flared and his rear is square, despite pictures and video showing otherwise.

Although, IIRC, he explicitly stated that both feet square was not a good thing. I'll have to look later to confirm.

To be fair I would say on iron shots his right foot was pretty square (from the videos I've seen). He definitely flared it on longer clubs though (below). I'm a big fan of foot flares but I will say that it's not "required" to flare you rear foot in order to perform an effective backswing. It just makes a few things much easier. The benefits that come with flaring the rear foot: centered hip turn, turning the hips steep enough, banking the right foot on the downswing, Hogan didn't need "help" with this stuff.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This video demonstrates why we prefer to see foot flares in most of our students.

How much is overdoing it? Is say 30* the max for either foot for someone of average flexibility?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

How much is overdoing it? Is say 30* the max for either foot for someone of average flexibility?

Yes, shouldn't go over 30-35 degrees

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Finally made it through this entire thread. Lot's of good stuff here. The trick is putting it all in perspective. I don't want to down the entire medicine cabinet at once. Great work guys!

- Shane

Key for me is to only work on 1 or 2 pieces, and not at the same time, also do them Really Slow, and do a bunch of reps on each piece to ingrain those feelings into your normal swing. For me, it's taken almost 6 months to finally get a couple of those keys somewhat part of my swing, then again, I'm Not a fast learner..lol :-$

Key for me is to only work on 1 or 2 pieces, and not at the same time, also do them Really Slow, and do a bunch of reps on each piece to ingrain those feelings into your normal swing. For me, it's taken almost 6 months to finally get a couple of those keys somewhat part of my swing, then again, I'm Not a fast learner..lol

Still working on flaring per @mvmac . Thought I had it until I reviewed the last video.

- Shane

Still working on flaring per @mvmac. Thought I had it until I reviewed the last video.

Ha, took me awhile to get the foot flare thing down, now it come natural..but, I still check my foot position all the time, just to be sure. It does help with my hip and shoulder turn, so definitely worth doing.

Im struggling with key 2. I Just can't seem to get a feel for it. When I was working on key 1 I had the feel that my head was going down a little even though it wasn't that's what l felt. So far for #2 nothing. I seem to be able to do it on the range but I don't do it on the course.

Im struggling with key 2. I Just can't seem to get a feel for it. When I was working on key 1 I had the feel that my head was going down a little even though it wasn't that's what l felt. So far for #2 nothing. I seem to be able to do it on the range but I don't do it on the course.

Same here. Have you tried the Hips Forward Preset drill..? Really helps with feeling the weight forward, I actually hit a few full shots last night at the range doing that drill. The vid should be in Key #2 somewhere..Give it a try.

Ha, took me awhile to get the foot flare thing down, now it come natural..but, I still check my foot position all the time, just to be sure. It does help with my hip and shoulder turn, so definitely worth doing.

Definitely. My turn seemed more "free".

- Shane

• Administrator

Still working on flaring per @mvmac. Thought I had it until I reviewed the last video.

Please help me understand something (and hopefully take this as generally inquisitive): why are you "working on" a setup position?

You just do it, don't you? What's to "work on"?

I sometimes ask students how much athletic skill setting up properly takes… the correct answer is "none." You just have to remember to do it, and I suppose to occasionally check yourself in the mirror (or if it's your feet, look down, which you're doing anyway).

Why are you "working on" something that you should just say "okay, what else?" and remember to do it every time? Help me understand. If you can explain it, maybe I can learn something and better help students.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlSpackler

Please help me understand something (and hopefully take this as generally inquisitive): why are you "working on" a setup position?

I sometimes ask students how much athletic skill setting up properly takes… the correct answer is "none." You just have to remember to do it, and I suppose to occasionally check yourself in the mirror (or if it's your feet, look down, which you're doing anyway).

Why are you "working on" something that you should just say "okay, what else?" and remember to do it every time? Help me understand. If you can explain it, maybe I can learn something and better help students.

I realize this was not directed at me, but I feel I am "working on" posture/setup stuff.  I understand that it is something I can remember to just do.  I work on it by leaving a mirror and golf club in the living room of my house.  Every time (or most times) I walk by, I pick up the club, setup, and look in the mirror to check.  Sometime I have to make a minor tweak, but it gets better each time.

I guess to summarize, I would like to "work on" it until it feels natural, and I know I am setting up correctly every time without having to think about it or check the mirror.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Same here. Have you tried the Hips Forward Preset drill..? Really helps with feeling the weight forward, I actually hit a few full shots last night at the range doing that drill. The vid should be in Key #2 somewhere..Give it a try.

If it's the one where you bank your back foot yes I have. Mike told me to preset my hips a little forward for my driver and that has helped with my driver. Im not sure if im supposed to do that for all my clubs so I haven't been.

If it's the one where you bank your back foot yes I have. Mike told me to preset my hips a little forward for my driver and that has helped with my driver. Im not sure if im supposed to do that for all my clubs so I haven't been.

Here's the link to the vid. Sorry should have included it before..

http://purestrike5sk.com/videos.php#video_playback

It's more a matter of breaking old habits. I set up with my feet square for so long, it still feels natural. When I start thinking of something else and not focusing on that, BAM! When I looked at my last video, I liked other things that I saw, but noticed that my feet were back to almost square. "Working on it" is making it the "new norm" if that makes sense.

- Shane

I realize this was not directed at me, but I feel I am "working on" posture/setup stuff.  I understand that it is something I can remember to just do.  I work on it by leaving a mirror and golf club in the living room of my house.  Every time (or most times) I walk by, I pick up the club, setup, and look in the mirror to check.  Sometime I have to make a minor tweak, but it gets better each time.

I guess to summarize, I would like to "work on" it until it feels natural, and I know I am setting up correctly every time without having to think about it or check the mirror.

I do the exact same thing, but without the mirror. I still need to make a trip to Ikea to get one. Planning to build a mirror wall in the Drum room / Man-cave.

- Shane

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14ledo81

I do the exact same thing, but without the mirror. I still need to make a trip to Ikea to get one. Planning to build a mirror wall in the Drum room / Man-cave.

That would be nice.  You could hit foam balls at it as well.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Note: This thread is 3035 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!