IGNORED

How do television announcers read putts?

Chipless
Note: This thread is 4182 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

"This one looks like it's right edge."  "At least, but more likely one ball outside the cup."

How in the world are the announcers able to "see" these putts without actually being down on the greens?

Some of it you can see from the TV, some of the commentators have played the courses, and a lot of it comes from going out in the morning to read the greens.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think they mostly have notes about the greens from prior rounds played by golfers or have seen what the putts have done from the golfers that have already been through the hole that day.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

[INDENT][/INDENT][quote name="jamo" url="/t/62420/how-do-television-announcers-read-putts#post_772761"]Some of it you can see from the TV, some of the commentators have played the courses, and a lot of it comes from going out in the morning to read the greens.[/quote] Yup

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Perhaps some sort of mapping and contour device is used months prior which then creates from a clay mold a miniature green, say 3ft x 3ft,  precisely as found on the course. Then the TV  guys just pull out the 3rd green from the rack  of 18 and mark the position of the ball.  The clay mold never changes unless the green itself is modified.

Some of the time it's because they happen to be in the tower above the green, sometimes it's because they have notes, sometimes its because they've seen others try that putt earlier, and sometimes its fed to them through their earpiece from someone they have at the green. It by no means is always a correct read that they will give you, contrary to what they lead you to believe.

My bag:

Driver: G10 10.5* w/ Pro Launch Red Reg 

3 Wood: G10 w/ Pro Launch Red Reg 

18* and 21* hybrids: G10 with Pro Launch Red Stiff 

4-PW: Ping Eye 2 Irons w/ Reg GS 95 

56* and 60*: Tour-S Rustique Wedges w/ Stiff KBS Tour 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 

Also, it's easy for Johnny Miller to read greens from the 18th tower as long as he has a compass, since all putts break towards Lake Merced.
  • Upvote 4

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Some of the tournament courses have computer simulations of their greens that show which way the breaks run. Combine that with seeing the early groups play the hole, and this gives the announcers details for that day's cup.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

All of the above and even with that, they are not always right.  Roger Maltbie was saying that Tiger`s putt on 15 looked straight with only a hint of right possible and it looked like he started it outside left and missed a cup or more on the right...Dufner had the same putt and also had it dive right.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Originally Posted by MEfree

All of the above and even with that, they are not always right.  Roger Maltbie was saying that Tiger`s putt on 15 looked straight with only a hint of right possible and it looked like he started it outside left and missed a cup or more on the right...Dufner had the same putt and also had it dive right.

Any read can vary with the speed at which the putt is hit.  Some players play the ball well past the hole, others try to die it into the hole, and that can change the break drastically on a big breaking putt.  If the putt isn't hit at the speed that the announcer's information was taken at, then the line will be different.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Any read can vary with the speed at which the putt is hit.  Some players play the ball well past the hole, others try to die it into the hole, and that can change the break drastically on a big breaking putt.  If the putt isn't hit at the speed that the announcer's information was taken at, then the line will be different.

Exactly. When I take a playing lesson from my usual teacher, I always have to add an inch or more of break because I prefer the ball to turn into the hole on its last revolution, where he likes it to go a little bit past the hole.

My bag:

Driver: G10 10.5* w/ Pro Launch Red Reg 

3 Wood: G10 w/ Pro Launch Red Reg 

18* and 21* hybrids: G10 with Pro Launch Red Stiff 

4-PW: Ping Eye 2 Irons w/ Reg GS 95 

56* and 60*: Tour-S Rustique Wedges w/ Stiff KBS Tour 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 

Originally Posted by Chipless

"This one looks like it's right edge."  "At least, but more likely one ball outside the cup."

How in the world are the announcers able to "see" these putts without actually being down on the greens?

Because they've been watching players putt on the green all day long from same positions.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Originally Posted by zipazoid

they've watched all the players come thru & have likely seen the putt they're commenting on a dozen times already.

Pretty much that.................

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I have a friend who was a "spotter" for the US open.  They relay up to the guys announcing anything from the break of the putt, to the lie of the ball (in rough/sand), to the branches in the way of a shot...  I'm sure the announcers have a pretty good idea of the break of the putt, but they also get information this way.  Not to mention how they often "send it down to Dotty," or "Send it down to Rog."

VR-S Covert
taylormade.gif Burner 3 wood
taylormade.gif 3-AW

56*
cleveland.gif CG14 60*
Laguna 2

I have worked quite a few tournaments. I have seen Johnny Miller driver out to the last 2-3 holes early on before the players get there and hit many (30?) putts from various angles and lengths so that he has a feel for those holes. Like him or hate him, he does appear to do his own homework.

Titleist 915 9.5 w/GD AD-DI shaft Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 14 degree FW wood Ping Anser hybrid 19 degree Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4-pw or Callaway Apex Titleist Vokey SM5 50, 54, 58, (62) Edel E3 Putter ES14 launch monitor ARCCOS

Note: This thread is 4182 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!