IGNORED

Anchored Putters Rules Change (Effective January 1, 2016)

mvmac
Note: This thread is 2520 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I dont understand the whole potential lawsuit side of this.  rules change all the time in every sport and you never hear of a lawsuit.  I am sure that plenty of the physical corners in the NFL experienced some sort of dropoff after the contact rule started being enforced.  Should they be able to file a lawsuit?  What about the implementation of the quasi zone in the NBA?  Can players who could bully guys 1 on 1 file a lawsuit?  What about handchecking?

The whole lawsuit argument is really stupid and will make golf look incredibly bad if anyone actually went through with it.

Originally Posted by Spyder

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/usga-announces-final-approval-ban-anchored-putting-2016

This may have to be amended if an anchored/long putter is in the bag when another major is won over the next few years.

I can't wait to be able to watch Adam Scott play golf again instead of having to skip forward whenever I see him on screen.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by laconic517

I dont understand the whole potential lawsuit side of this.  rules change all the time in every sport and you never hear of a lawsuit.  I am sure that plenty of the physical corners in the NFL experienced some sort of dropoff after the contact rule started being enforced.  Should they be able to file a lawsuit?  What about the implementation of the quasi zone in the NBA?  Can players who could bully guys 1 on 1 file a lawsuit?  What about handchecking?

The whole lawsuit argument is really stupid and will make golf look incredibly bad if anyone actually went through with it.

Well, I'm not sure anybody understands Vijay Singh suing the PGA Tour for not punishing him for using a product on the banned substance list, but then again it's not like people use the best judgement when it comes to taking advice from lawyers who see nothing but dollar signs.

Someone will sue.  I'd put money on it.  It may not go far, but someone will sue.

I can't wait for these ugly things to be illegal! I hated them from the day they came out, my only complaint is they are giving too long of a grace period!

Bag:

DriverG25 or  XCG5 11.5* 3++ fairway wood

3w:  XCG6 15*

*5w: XCG6 18* (out if I bag my 3-iron)

Irons: Rocketbladez tour  3-pw(47*) (I sometimes bag the 3 iron but usually the 5w) 

Wedges:   SM-4  52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Versa #7 (white on black)

Originally Posted by Goldigger

20 Years ago this same organization looked at the long putter issue and came to the conclusion that it was not a issue, now 20 years later they say it is cheating or whatever. Shame on you guys just because you have a few different board members that have swayed your original feelings 20 years ago. The PGA should have a showdown and stand by their decision to not recognize the new rule. You talking about interesting. Give the R&A; and USGA the @#$%sandwich. Golf is loosing millions of players a year because of difficulty, they should be making the game easier !!!

I couldn't disagree more with this, If you dumb down the game, the good players will quit, if you make it more difficult it mostly affects hacks... there is no reason to make a game easier, just so people who aren't good at it can think they are better than they are. Where would the motivation to get better come from when everyone can do it? and I am in no way calling myself a pro, sure i can hit it long, but it sure isn't always straight, but I strive every day to get better and enjoy the feeling of accomplishment. If they kept making the game easier, where would I find my motivation, I would just think "they will come out with another gimmick to make it easier, why should I try...  Also I would like a source for your claim that golf is losing millions of players  a year.

• Upvote 2

Bag:

DriverG25 or  XCG5 11.5* 3++ fairway wood

3w:  XCG6 15*

*5w: XCG6 18* (out if I bag my 3-iron)

Irons: Rocketbladez tour  3-pw(47*) (I sometimes bag the 3 iron but usually the 5w) 

Wedges:   SM-4  52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Versa #7 (white on black)

Originally Posted by 2ironfrenzy

I couldn't disagree more with this, If you dumb down the game, the good players will quit, if you make it more difficult it mostly affects hacks... there is no reason to make a game easier, just so people who aren't good at it can think they are better than they are. Where would the motivation to get better come from when everyone can do it? and I am in no way calling myself a pro, sure i can hit it long, but it sure isn't always straight, but I strive every day to get better and enjoy the feeling of accomplishment. If they kept making the game easier, where would I find my motivation, I would just think "they will come out with another gimmick to make it easier, why should I try...  Also I would like a source for your claim that golf is losing millions of players  a year.

I agree with this. The fun in golf to me is the challenge of getting better each and every day. Some days are good and some days are horrible, but I believe of all sports; Golf is the ultimate test of your character and work ethic. I firmly believe that you can get out of golf what you put into it. The sport makes you focus some of your most least touched areas of your psyche and physical skill.

The putting stroke, in my view, is likely the most penutlimate part of Golf. A steady hand, keen senses, clear psyche, and commitment means that the time tested ways of executing the putt is essential to the game. To tarnish it by providing for shortcuts for its execution in hopes of a reeward is simply regrettable. Yay USGA and R&A;!

"Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.."

Originally Posted by dave67az

Well, I'm not sure anybody understands Vijay Singh suing the PGA Tour for not punishing him for using a product on the banned substance list, but then again it's not like people use the best judgement when it comes to taking advice from lawyers who see nothing but dollar signs.

Someone will sue.  I'd put money on it.  It may not go far, but someone will sue.

Yup, someone will sue.  right up to the point where they realize that they will need to sit in a deposition and answer question, under oath, that are put to them by hostile skilled attorneys.  Like, "Mr. Singh, have you ever been accused of cheating in a professional golf tournament or been sanctioned for cheating by a professional golf tour?"

Or, "Mr. Clark, you contend that your physical condition makes it impossible for you to use a conventional putter.  Could you explain how that condition does not make it impossible to chip the ball?"

Originally Posted by tstrike34

I agree with this. The fun in golf to me is the challenge of getting better each and every day. Some days are good and some days are horrible, but I believe of all sports; Golf is the ultimate test of your character and work ethic. I firmly believe that you can get out of golf what you put into it. The sport makes you focus some of your most least touched areas of your psyche and physical skill.

The putting stroke, in my view, is likely the most penutlimate part of Golf. A steady hand, keen senses, clear psyche, and commitment means that the time tested ways of executing the putt is essential to the game. To tarnish it by providing for shortcuts for its execution in hopes of a reeward is simply regrettable. Yay USGA and R&A;!

Yup, the essence of golf is the same as the essence of life - overcoming adversity.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Valvey

Billy Casper may have been the first anchored putter. Wonder what he thinks of this new rule.

Their is a distinct difference. The putter is not anchored.

Bill M

I detected some humor/sarcasm in that Billy Casper post.

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

I do not buy the argument that the long putter saved backs. An upright posture and a 35-37 inch putter works well. Ray Floyd, I believe, uses a 36 inch putter (or did). I use a 35 inch putter and an upright posture - and am middle-aged. No back issues with the putter.

Sergio putts well with a saw grip. Some pros use a grip that limits the right hand tendency to take over. One can help with nerves by turning the belly button instead of using the arms. One can "Kuchar" it against the forearm. One can beat nerves with traditional methods.

Speaking of which, makes me wonder when they're going to ban that ugly "claw" grip.  Or cross-handed putting.  No other club is swung that way and it's not in the true spirit of the game of golf.  People should have to grip the putter the same way they grip every other club in the bag.  Besides, the claw or cross-handed grip is used in an attempt to cure putting woes and make a more steady stroke, thus giving them an advantage over other golfers.

• Upvote 1

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Originally Posted by Mac62

Speaking of which, makes me wonder when they're going to ban that ugly "claw" grip.  Or cross-handed putting.  No other club is swung that way and it's not in the true spirit of the game of golf.  People should have to grip the putter the same way they grip every other club in the bag.  Besides, the claw or cross-handed grip is used in an attempt to cure putting woes and make a more steady stroke, thus giving them an advantage over other golfers.

No.  Stop it.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Quote:

No.  Stop it.

Kidding.  Sort of.

[ETA:]  For the record, I don't anchor and really couldn't care less one way or the other about the new rule - it has no impact whatsoever on my game.  I only object to it on the basis that I think it's a kind of a silly "nanny" rule change.

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Kidding.  Sort of.

[ETA:]  For the record, I don't anchor and really couldn't care less one way or the other about the new rule - it has no impact whatsoever on my game.  I only object to it on the basis that I think it's a kind of a silly "nanny" rule change.

Then we probably disagree on such a fundamental level as to never see eye-to-eye on this topic.  I feel that mandating a club be freely swung is so core to the fundamentals of golf that it was a big mistake to not have banned it decades ago.  I think it's one of the more important and basic aspects of golf.  The grip, on the other hand, I couldn't care less about.  They are still freely swinging the club.

I really think they got it wrong. I do not anchor and never will. But everyone seems to be worried about bifurcation of the rules. So what. Many sports do this . The three point line in baskeball, the number of minutes played in high school vs college verses pro. What about aluminum bats in College and high school baseball , but not in the pros. I think the USGA and the R and A should ban it for the pros and leave it for the amateurs. Let the game be more enjoyable to the masses and let the pros show why they are the best and only use the non anchoring putter.

Or, "Mr. Clark, you contend that your physical condition makes it impossible for you to use a conventional putter.  Could you explain how that condition does not make it impossible to chip the ball?"

I don't understand that one. He's able to swing a driver and any other club in the bag at 70-100+ mph, but can't make a small putting motion? Sounds like bullshit.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Originally Posted by Zeph

I don't understand that one. He's able to swing a driver and any other club in the bag at 70-100+ mph, but can't make a small putting motion? Sounds like bullshit.

The response was that he could putt if he had to using a conventional putter and putting stroke during a match.  His issue is practice and that his condition would make it too painful and difficult for him to practice enough to be proficient without anchoring.

Joe Paradiso

But it is a golf swing.

Some people chip left hand low. You going to ban?

Anchoring is not a golf swing (according to the Rule Czar).

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Note: This thread is 2520 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!