IGNORED

Anchored Putters Rules Change (Effective January 1, 2016)

mvmac
Note:Β This thread is 2520 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Originally Posted by JerseyThursday

They lobbied hard (imposing their will) to the governing boards to do away with it without one shred of numerical statistics that proved it gave an advantage to user.

They may have lobbied but the RBs didn't make it part of the case of course.

They simply concentrated on the stroke.

Originally Posted by turtleback

And, as an aside, if it doesn't provide YOU with an advantage why do you use it?

It gave an advantage to me only in that it felt comfortable to me.
For every person like myself, that liked the belly putter, there were 5 others who didn’t like it and putted worse with it.

Driver: Ping K15 10Β°, Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 63g Stiff
Fairway 4-wood: TaylorMade RocketBallz Tour TP 17.5Β°, Matrix Ozik TP7HD S shaft

Hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 3H-4H, Aldila DVS Stiff
Irons: MIURA PP-9003, Dynamic Gold Superlite S300, Sand Wedge: Scratch 8620 56Β°
Putter: Nike Method Concept Belly 44"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B330-S

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/8699495/keegan-bradley-called-cheater-fan-using-belly-putter-world-challenge

I guess we'll see a few more stories like this over the next 12 months...although it doesn't appear to be that big of a deal.

Quote:

"I had some guy here call me a cheater on the last hole, which was no fun," said Bradley, who is two shots behind leader Graeme McDowell at the World Challenge presented by Northwestern Mutual.

"That's unfortunate. It's very disrespectful. But it's fine with me. I've got to try and look at it as motivation to help me try to win this tournament."

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I'm glad you found an alternative that's permitted by the new rule change.Β  Will they be able to bend your current putters that much or will you still have to purchase new equipment?

I was at my club today and 5 of us anchored putter users were on the putting green consoling each other and fiddling around with alternative methods that were going to be legal. The pro saw us and walked out to us saying: β€œI can guess what you guys are discussing.” He went on to tell us, that in his opinion, the easiest transition for anchored belly putters would be going to the Kuchar grip and the rule for that is the grip can press up against your left forearm but can't extend above your elbow.

We all had typical belly putters so it didn’t work perfectly (the loft hadn’t been added to accommodate for the forward tilt and the flat side of the grip was facing forward), but I really like the way it felt. I played 9 holes and again it felt really good.

Point being, I can see why Odyssey is developing the β€œarm-lock” putter and I can see a lot ofΒ  people switching to this method when the time comes.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That's a downside to the rule change not taking effect until 2016.Β  Anyone that uses an anchored stroke until then is going to be seen as a cheater by some and will be subject to greater scrutiny by fans and media when the win using one.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/8699495/keegan-bradley-called-cheater-fan-using-belly-putter-world-challenge

I guess we'll see a few more stories like this over the next 12 months...although it doesn't appear to be that big of a deal.

"I had some guy here call me a cheater on the last hole, which was no fun," said Bradley, who is two shots behind leaderΒ Graeme McDowellΒ at the World Challenge presented by Northwestern Mutual.

"That's unfortunate. It's very disrespectful. But it's fine with me. I've got to try and look at it as motivation to help me try to win this tournament.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by newtogolf

That's a downside to the rule change not taking effect until 2016.Β  Anyone that uses an anchored stroke until then is going to be seen as a cheater by some and will be subject to greater scrutiny by fans and media when the win using one.

Quote:

"I had some guy here call me a cheater on the last hole, which was no fun," said Bradley, who is two shots behind leaderΒ Graeme McDowellΒ at the World Challenge presented by Northwestern Mutual.

"That's unfortunate. It's very disrespectful. But it's fine with me. I've got to try and look at it as motivation to help me try to win this tournament.

I don't look at it as a downside.... more like motivation.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Maybe so, but this is their career.Β  Some may not be able to make the switch and keep their pro card, others may drop in rankings and money earned.

If the rules don't take effect until 2016 they are within their right to use an anchored stroke and they shouldn't be called cheaters for doing so.

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Maybe so, but this is their career.Β  Some may not be able to make the switch and keep their pro card, others may drop in rankings and money earned.

If the rules don't take effect until 2016 they are within their right to use an anchored stroke and they shouldn't be called cheaters for doing so.

Quote:

The Pro Tours are supposed to be composed of the best players in the world, not just the best players who can't putt. Β Players who use the belly or broomstick putters do so because they perceive it as an advantage to them. Β If they can't take the heat for the next three years, then they better start to work in the off season and figure it out. Β These guys have crazy hand eye coordination or they wouldn't be on Tour in the first place. Β There is no way that they shouldn't be able to find a solution within the boundaries of the new stroke definition.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Originally Posted by Fourputt

The Pro Tours are supposed to be composed of the best players in the world, not just the best players who can't putt. Β Players who use the belly or broomstick putters do so because they perceive it as an advantage to them. Β If they can't take the heat for the next three years, then they better start to work in the off season and figure it out. Β These guys have crazy hand eye coordination or they wouldn't be on Tour in the first place. Β There is no way that they shouldn't be able to find a solution within the boundaries of the new stroke definition.

^^ That.

The 'proof' that anchoring was an advantage you need look no further to the careers of guys like Moody or Langer. They simply could not win due to being poor putters; great ball strikers but poor putters. They then get a long putter & anchor it & boom - they started winning. It was an express elevator, bypassing hard work, to the top for many tour players.

Again, you never saw Tom Watson resort to anchoring when his putting went south. He worked through it.

To me, it's about the integrity of the game.

Motivation to switch sooner, or motivation to win with their current putter? Β Depending on the personality, it could go either way.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Quote:

Motivation to switch sooner, or motivation to win with their current putter? Β Depending on the personality, it could go either way.

I said it to change of course. I have always thought the anchor was unfair. Yea there is a bunch of variances on why or why they don't help. Green reading, speed are part of it but I am happy they will be out. My personal opinion was that they looked stupid and felt like it was one more way to cut a corner on skill. I do tend to be more traditional in my club selection though..

Originally Posted by zipazoid

^^ That.

The 'proof' that anchoring was an advantage you need look no further to the careers of guys like Moody or Langer. They simply could not win due to being poor putters; great ball strikers but poor putters. They then get a long putter & anchor it & boom - they started winning. It was an express elevator, bypassing hard work, to the top for many tour players.

Again, you never saw Tom Watson resort to anchoring when his putting went south. He worked through it.

To me, it's about the integrity of the game.

Well put.

Based on the talk around my club yesterday the vast MAJORITY of the members agree with the change.

In fact the majority of the golfers that I play with always felt thatΒ a putting stroke where oneΒ anchors to a part of the body is cheating regardless of the existing rules.

You need look no further to the careers of guys like Moody or Langer. They simply could not win due to being poor putters; great ball strikers but poor putters.

Were you putting for Langer when he won the Masters?

Fairway 4-wood: TaylorMade RocketBallz Tour TP 17.5Β°, Matrix Ozik TP7HD S shaft

Irons: MIURA PP-9003, Dynamic Gold Superlite S300, Sand Wedge: Scratch 8620 56Β°

Are you saying the long putter/anchoring didn't help his career?

No, I’m saying for every Langer I could example 5 other pros who were having putting problems, tried the anchored putter, and still had putting problems.
It’s not a magic wand.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by phan52 View Post

I don't see a problem. The club does not appear to be anchored in either instance.

"Forearms Held Against the Body" is anchoring, although you and the R&A; and USGA may call it something else to justify your dislike of long putters.

No, I’m saying for every Langer I could example 5 other pros who were having putting problems, tried the anchored putter, and still had putting problems.

It’s not a magic wand.

Not to be picky, but 5 for every 1? How do you know that?

But let's just say you're right. Even that 1 is enough to look at banning it. It should not be a matter of a poor putter becoming a good putter simply by anchoring the club. Not golf.

Quote:

It’s not a magic wand.

Not to be picky, but 5 for every 1? How do you know that?

But let's just say you're right. Even that 1 is enough to look at banning it. It should not be a matter of a poor putter becoming a good putter simply by anchoring the club. Not golf.

I like how people are claiming that there is no proof on the decision, are making other unproven claims to refute claims that they claim are unproven.....

Note:Β This thread is 2520 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!