IGNORED

Butler National Members Vote To Keep Women Out

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4132 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by zipazoid

Most likely through buying them a BMW or private schooling.

Pretty much.  There is no explaining... Wives of the super rich aren't asking their banks why they are closed on Saturday and Sunday, and can't withdrawal cash.  They just grab the charge card.  That's how they roll.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

More power to them. If I had the means to join such a club I certainly would. My father and I played Bear Creek in Denver. Its all male and it was really nice. I am no male chauvinist with a wife and three daughters at home, but I understand wanting an all male club. At my course the women's association is a giant pain in the ass. They want everything to be their way, they bitch and moan constantly about everything. And I am sorry for saying this but they play really stinking slow.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

You must be 12 years old too since Stretch doesn't seem to understand the drama women create in these associations.

Originally Posted by NM Golf

More power to them. If I had the means to join such a club I certainly would. My father and I played Bear Creek in Denver. Its all male and it was really nice. I am no male chauvinist with a wife and three daughters at home, but I understand wanting an all male club. At my course the women's association is a giant pain in the ass. They want everything to be their way, they bitch and moan constantly about everything. And I am sorry for saying this but they play really stinking slow.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by newtogolf

You must be 12 years old too since Stretch doesn't seem to understand the drama women create in these associations.

I wish I was 12! Think of everything I could do if I knew then what I know now.

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 

You could cause all sorts of drrrrrama!

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

No doubt!  I'd start playing golf at 12 not 45.  I'm trying to get my son interested enough to take golf lessons now rather than wait until he's older like I am.

Originally Posted by NM Golf

I wish I was 12! Think of everything I could do if I knew then what I know now.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Pretty much.  There is no explaining... Wives of the super rich aren't asking their banks why they are closed on Saturday and Sunday, and can't withdrawal cash.  They just grab the charge card.  That's how they roll.

Yeah. I'm sure the wife of a Butler National member is aghast over her husband's membership as she gets her daily massage/pedi & screws the pool boy.

Originally Posted by Dave H

I don't see what the big issue is. Here in Evanston (suburb of Chicago) we have a women's club. It's for women only. No one complains about it, especially men because men don't want to be there. Once again, it's for women only. Since when did it become a bad thing to have a club for men (or women)? We're talking about recreation, people, get a grip.

It's not a big deal except if you believe what the article says about the financial condition of the club. They are private and can do whatever they'd like including go under if that's in the cards. It's a big deal for Butler National as they are a visible club due to their previous history hosting a prestigious PGA Tour event. They are also in the Chicago area which makes them a good choice for a major or Ryder Cup and due to their policy they are not eligible for these events.

Originally Posted by MSchott

It's not a big deal except if you believe what the article says about the financial condition of the club. They are private and can do whatever they'd like including go under if that's in the cards. It's a big deal for Butler National as they are a visible club due to their previous history hosting a prestigious PGA Tour event. They are also in the Chicago area which makes them a good choice for a major or Ryder Cup and due to their policy they are not eligible for these events.

I still don't agree that the financial status of the club makes it a big deal. Private enterprises do things all the time contrary to popular opinion. I also don't agree that their history makes it a big deal. They used to hold a tournament there when it was ok with the tour do so at clubs with men only membership. Now they don't, so what?

For what it's worth, I'm not sure I believe that they're hurting financially. And if they are, they're dumb, but it's their choice to be dumb.

Originally Posted by iacas

I don't understand comments like this. So what? It's a men's club. They're not breaking any laws. They're not even being jerks IMO. They explain it by saying to their wives and daughters "if you want to join a women's club, I understand."

It may be their mistake in the end. Or perhaps they'll rebound. We'll see. But it's their club, and they can run it how they see fit.

This^^

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

Originally Posted by Dave H

I still don't agree that the financial status of the club makes it a big deal. Private enterprises do things all the time contrary to popular opinion. I also don't agree that their history makes it a big deal. They used to hold a tournament there when it was ok with the tour do so at clubs with men only membership. Now they don't, so what?

For what it's worth, I'm not sure I believe that they're hurting financially. And if they are, they're dumb, but it's their choice to be dumb.

When he said 'big deal' he didn't mean in a social sense ... he meant exactly what you said in your last sentence.  It's a 'big deal' in the sense that they would rather go down as a men's club than live on as a golf club.  Again, as you also said, assuming that you believe that they are hurting financially.

why do people spend so much time trying to bend others to their beliefs , lets tax them , i wouldn't be a member , trying to bring public pressure on them to change, or a boycott,

ridicule  ,   and so on ---  It is a Private Club on their own land  , life is not equal for everyone never has been and won't be  i believe this idea of being politicly correct has gone to far

but that is my opinion no one has to endorse it

This "It's a private club, let them do what the want" argument reminds me of when I was a kid and we briefly lived in the Bible Belt.  Someone recommended we try a particular restaurant in town and we discovered it was a supper club.  Although there are plenty of restaurants in the more rural portions of the upper midwest that to this day call themselves "supper clubs," that simply denotes a very traditionally styled family restaurant (typically with dark wood paneling in the interior) that serves basic comfort food - steak-and-potatoes, roasted chicken, fish fry, dinner rolls on the table and a big salad bar.  In the South, a "supper club" was a different establishment altogether, as we found out.  Any white person could go there for dinner and instantly be made a member, but black people were told at the door that it was a "private club for members only."  I don't see that much difference between an all-male golf club and a no-blacks-allowed restaurant calling itself a supper club; there's a difference and I'll just acknowledge that I'm not blind to the distinctions, but to me, the difference isn't that significant.

It's very easy for a WASP male to sit back and argue the "Who are we tell others what to do?" line when they themselves have never been discriminated against because of their membership in a protected class of persons.  I'm guessing that not a single person complaining about "interfering with individual's decisions" has ever been discriminated against because of his skin color, ancestry, national origin, religion, etc....

A golf club like Butler National is not about playing golf on a spectacular course - there are plenty of great publicly and privately owned courses available for everyone to play and a course like Pebble Beach doesn't attract "riff-raff" if one is concerned about playing only with "a better class of player."  If the concern was only to preclude slow (i.e. female) golfers, make a rule that no one under a 20 or 25 handicap gets a tee time before 10 a.m. on weekends.   It's also not about playing with one's friends, as such a club's membership is far too large for anyone to know even half of the members.  No, a golf club like Butler National is about mixing business with pleasure.  And keeping women out of that mix reinforces the glass ceiling in business.  I don't see a whole lot of difference in the rationales behind American males trying to keep women from competing in business and Taliban males saying that women shouldn't be educated or have equality with men.

But I guess this bizarre idea I have about the importance of maintaining equality among all people is a real lefty, pinko sort of mentality, isn't it?  I'm not a "real American" for having such ideas, am I?  Except, the origin of this concept is, in part, a little document called the Declaration of Independence.

[WG descends from soapbox]

• Upvote 1

In my bag: - Ping G20 driver, 10.5 deg. S flex - Ping G20 3W, 15 deg., S flex - Nickent 4dx 3H, 4H - Nike Slingshot 4-PW - Adams Tom Watson 52 deg. GW - Vokey 58 deg. SW -Ping Half Wack-E putter

You're missing the point on equality.  Equality in this country means everyone has the same rights, it doesn't mean that you can't form a club and restrict who joins no matter how much you try and twist the facts.

The equality is that women and minorities can and do have private clubs.  Curves is a female only gym and there are female only golf clubs.  Clubs have the right to decide who they allow to become members,  restaurants do not.

How about age discrimination?  Should we do away with senior citizen housing rules that restrict renters and owners on the basis of age?

Originally Posted by Wisguy

But I guess this bizarre idea I have about the importance of maintaining equality among all people is a real lefty, pinko sort of mentality, isn't it?  I'm not a "real American" for having such ideas, am I?  Except, the origin of this concept is, in part, a little document called the Declaration of Independence.

[WG descends from soapbox]

Joe Paradiso

I have to say comparing the Members of Butler National to the Taliban might be a tad overboard. One wants to keep women covered up and illiterate, the other just wants to keep a round of golf under 4 hours.

So a male WASP have never been discriminated against?  What about bullied?  Come on... Give it up already.  It's a freaking golf club for men.  Period.

^

I

I

I

I

I

I

I

I

I

PS. I started a Socal Golf Group on this site... It's that way - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

(I'm thinking of making it male only)

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

So a male WASP have never been discriminated against?  What about bullied?  Come on... Give it up already.  It's a freaking golf club for men.  Period.

^

I

I

I

I

I

I

I

I

I

PS. I started a Socal Golf Group on this site... It's that way - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

(I'm thinking of making it male only)

LOL!  I get the impression from the ratio on this site that it's going to be men only on its own.

However, if there is going to be a democratic vote, I'm going for coed!  (I like the ladies!)

Note: This thread is 4132 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!