IGNORED

To fluff or not to fluff?

SouthernBuckeye
Note: This thread is 4123 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by turtleback

Personally I play it down.  No improving the lie.  But unless I am playing in a competition or playing a match against someone I really don't care what they do.  People fool themselves in all kinds of ways in life and I don't feel like I need to let it upset me nor make me the enforcer.

this is it -

I don't much let what others do bother me - especially when we're talking about just a leisure activity.  And if what I do bugs someone else, then it's really their problem

I like to putt it out and let people know it so they don't pick my ball up and throw it to me when it's close.  I really don't care about the 'purity of the game' or anything like that.  It's just that, to me, the sound of the ball falling in the cup is part of my enjoyment.  I'll also not damage my clubs from a bad lie or poorly maintained conditions. etc etc etc

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I agree you shouldn't let what others do affect you. You should play the course and not the other guys in your group.

Play with a good deal of common sense though. Why damage your clubs for poor conditions on the course?

Commonplace unfortunately...seems like very few people like to play by the proper rules...and they don't take the game seriously enough to want to make the difficult shots...

Originally Posted by SouthernBuckeye

I have only been playing this great game for three years now, I did not start until I was fifty years old.  Only regret I have is that I did not start when I was young.  However there is one thing that bothers me about the players in my area, they will not play the ball as it lies.  I would say that 90 percent of the players that I have played with will improve their lie before hitting the ball, some will move it from under trees and bushes.  Some play so called winter rules year round.  Every time I question them about it I hear the same old excuse, "we are not pros" or "we don't play for money".  I don't care, cheating is cheating even if you are only cheating yourself.  What I think has drawn me to this game is the fact that golf is the hardest sport I have experienced in my life, I do not believe I will live long enough to master it.  It is supposed to be hard, it is supposed to be challenging, if you don't hit the ball out of deep rough, then you will never learn how to, same for trees, bushes, etc, etc.  I was just wondering if this is something unique to the area that I live in or is it commonplace everywhere, and if it is, why???

I don't do it, don't care if others do. I see it all the time and I get why people do it but for me the challenge is overcoming things like bad lies, mishits, bad bounces, whatever. Some of the most gratifying experiences I've had on the course this year were the result of a great recovery shot. Likewise some of the most frustrating were the recovery shot that didn't work out. But that's part of the deal and how I measure how well I played. If I end up a couple of strokes over what I consider acceptable I can review what happened and pinpoint the mistakes and try to correct it.

Dave :-)

Originally Posted by scottothegreat

What happens if one of these players wins or gets a prize for a low score or net score wouldn't you have a problem with it  then.

I think a winner knows the difference between fluffing and not and what that means, to respect the game.  OK, I made a mistake and I understand why it's wrong!  But, I am trying to point out that we are assuming that by fluffing the ball, the golfer is going to make amazing shots and come out on top.  That is not necessarily the case.  Fluffing the ball may make the golfer scoop their shot or whatever.  It doesn't mean you'll do what you want the ball to do.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Originally Posted by Pablo68

I agree you shouldn't let what others do affect you. You should play the course and not the other guys in your group.

Play with a good deal of common sense though. Why damage your clubs for poor conditions on the course?

I regard the little dings in my clubs as badges of honor.  But since I'm not playing a match with you nor are we fellow competitors in a stroke play competition I have no opinion either way on how you do it.  Why should I?  It is your life, and it is not is one size fits all world.  For me the priority is being able to know my handicap is as dead on accurate as possible.  Other people have other priorities and that is fine.

The one thing that really bugs me is when someone has their own little rules quirks they play by and tries to convince me that those are the real rules when I know otherwise.  But that doesn't apply to you.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

I think it is ridiculous for some one who shoots over 110 all the time to worry about playing by all the rules. It slows up the pace of play for all.  If someone can not advance the ball even off a beautiful middle of the fairway position then I think they should put the ball in the fair way from about where in went and hit again. They learn nothing from hitting off bad lies. And as I said it slows up the game.

I think it is ridiculous for some one who shoots over 110 all the time to worry about playing by all the rules. It slows up the pace of play for all.  If someone can not advance the ball even off a beautiful middle of the fairway position then I think they should put the ball in the fair way from about where in went and hit again. They learn nothing from hitting off bad lies. And as I said it slows up the game.

I agree. I have small hands so I refuse to dribble the ball when I play basketball. Rules are just for the pros and other experts. I enjoy the game just the same......why would I ever care about getting better?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Not really concerned about what other people do when they play golf as long as they are not tearing up the course or acting like an idiot. If some guy enjoys the game more by improving his lie its not my place to tell him not to do it. Unless you are playing for money or playing in a tournament don't worry about it. I myself play by the rules all the time, bumping the ball is a really bad habit to get into.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

The only factors I care about are:  Pace of play & the amount of fun I am having.

If I am not in a tournament/playing for money then I could care less what others do as long as it isn't effecting the two items above.  Not everyone is serious about the game and just get out there to be outside and have a good time.  If that makes them happy and promotes the sport then good for them.

Jeff

Originally Posted by phillyk

I think a winner knows the difference between fluffing and not and what that means, to respect the game.  OK, I made a mistake and I understand why it's wrong!  But, I am trying to point out that we are assuming that by fluffing the ball, the golfer is going to make amazing shots and come out on top.  That is not necessarily the case.  Fluffing the ball may make the golfer scoop their shot or whatever.  It doesn't mean you'll do what you want the ball to do.

It also doesn't mean that you don't have a responsibility to the field.

Bill M

Originally Posted by SloverUT

The only factors I care about are:  Pace of play & the amount of fun I am having.

If I am not in a tournament/playing for money then I could care less what others do as long as it isn't effecting the two items above.  Not everyone is serious about the game and just get out there to be outside and have a good time.  If that makes them happy and promotes the sport then good for them.

If I am not posting a score I might move my ball a little because I play a lot of golf late in the day when I am only getting in a few holes. But it doesn't hurt to get used to hitting shots that are not under perfect conditions. It can only help when you play in a tournament.

Play it where it lies.

Bill M

Originally Posted by David in FL

I agree.

I have small hands so I refuse to dribble the ball when I play basketball. Rules are just for the pros and other experts. I enjoy the game just the same......why would I ever care about getting better?

Not the same. If you're playing basketball against somebody else and don't dribble, you're giving yourself an unfair advatage over your opponent. If you & I get paired together on Saturday morning and I roll the ball in the fairway how does that affect you or your game in anyway? Not everybody plays golf to see how low they can get their handicap, some of us just enjoy the day with friends or family and hitting a golf ball.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Originally Posted by jetsknicks1

Not the same. If you're playing basketball against somebody else and don't dribble, you're giving yourself an unfair advatage over your opponent. If you & I get paired together on Saturday morning and I roll the ball in the fairway how does that affect you or your game in anyway? Not everybody plays golf to see how low they can get their handicap, some of us just enjoy the day with friends or family and hitting a golf ball.

My thoughts as well.

Jeff

Originally Posted by turtleback

I regard the little dings in my clubs as badges of honor.  But since I'm not playing a match with you nor are we fellow competitors in a stroke play competition I have no opinion either way on how you do it.  Why should I?  It is your life, and it is not is one size fits all world.  For me the priority is being able to know my handicap is as dead on accurate as possible.  Other people have other priorities and that is fine.

The one thing that really bugs me is when someone has their own little rules quirks they play by and tries to convince me that those are the real rules when I know otherwise.  But that doesn't apply to you.

Well put.

I read an article recently from a caddie's perspective about the difference between caddying for Tom Watson then Greg Norman. He related that Greg Norman would be 4 under, hit a great drive and wind up in a divot in the fairway. Greg would respond 'Can you believe my luck' whereas Tom Watson would reply 'watch this!'.

I play it down unless I'm damaging my clubs. I grew up poor, know the value of things and if it means moving a ball off rocks to avoid damaging my clubs, so be it. I treat this game with the respect it deserves but I keep in mind it IS a game.

Take care and again, well put.

Originally Posted by Pablo68

Well put.

I read an article recently from a caddie's perspective about the difference between caddying for Tom Watson then Greg Norman. He related that Greg Norman would be 4 under, hit a great drive and wind up in a divot in the fairway. Greg would respond 'Can you believe my luck' whereas Tom Watson would reply 'watch this!'.

I play it down unless I'm damaging my clubs. I grew up poor, know the value of things and if it means moving a ball off rocks to avoid damaging my clubs, so be it. I treat this game with the respect it deserves but I keep in mind it IS a game.

Take care and again, well put.

Ever thought of moving the rocks/stones?, If the course is rife with small rocks/stones there usually is a local rule to cover,otherwise take a penalty or just hit it 10 yards, then you will be treating the game with respect.

Originally Posted by David in FL

Quote:

Originally Posted by VegasRenegade

I agree.

I have small hands so I refuse to dribble the ball when I play basketball. Rules are just for the pros and other experts. I enjoy the game just the same......why would I ever care about getting better?

My point is that you do not get better from playing from bad lies if you can not yet play from good ones. You would improve much more by playing all your shots from good  lies until you can make good contact most of the time. Then work on sand, rough divots etc  unless you are posting a score there will be plenty of time to play by the rules after you learn to play the golf swing.  I am now playing the golf swing and no longer playing golf. Even though I can shoot in the high 80-mid 90s I learn to do so with a very bad swing and a better than average short game. I wish I would have decided to play golf swing a long time ago and not worry about playing golf. Until I hand learn the swing.

Note: This thread is 4123 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!