Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stogiesnbogies

President Obama's Golf Weekend: Off Topic Political Bullshit

22 posts in this topic

Originally Posted by Rick Martin

Interesting article on Obama and Bush and their golfing habits. 100 rounds for Obama in 4 yrs of his presidency (as of last June 2012). And Bush said he regrets golfing during the wars -

http://www.whitehousedossier.com/2012/06/17/obama-plays-golf-100th-time-presidency/

Does Bush also regret starting unecessary wars...and putting them on the nations credit card?

Does he regret such wreckless and irresponsible behavior and leaving it all to be mopped up by President Obama?

One would certainly hope so....since he took Clinton's  budget surplus and turned it into a massive deficit and economic crisis which Obama has begun mopping up- setting the ship aright.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sign up (or log in) today! It's free (and you won't see this ad anymore)!

Sign up (or log in) today! It's free (and you won't see this ad anymore)!

Originally Posted by stogiesnbogies

Does Bush also regret starting unecessary wars...and putting them on the nations credit card?

Does he regret such wreckless and irresponsible behavior and leaving it all to be mopped up by President Obama?

One would certainly hope so....since he took Clinton's  budget surplus and turned it into a massive deficit and economic crisis which Obama has begun mopping up- setting the ship aright.


You do realize that shortly after Bush took over, there was a recession that was caused by Clinton era policies?  And by his aggressive tax cuts and policies, he pulled us out of it pretty quickly.  I guess no one remembers that, since it's convenient to forget.  And Clinton didn't actually have a budget surplus, he did what others have done and moved discretionary money around to make it appear that there was, but we were still racking up a national debt during that time, just nowhere as large as we are now.  At least a part of the current melt-down was caused by Clinton era policies put in place.... ie Fanny May and Freddie Mac and pushing lending institutions to made risky home lones that came crashing down just a few years ago, and are still a big problem in my area.

Look, I'm no Bush fan at all.  I lost a lot of friends during my time in the Army before I was wounded and retired myself for no apparent reason and the Patriot Act was the largest Unconstitutional policy since the 1940's.  But this 6 years later, blame Bush crap is getting a little old.  While this started when Bush was in office, it could have been over for a long time now, given the proper policies and a more "hands-off" approach by Government toward big business.  Obama won't even come out and say that the Sequester was his plan and idea at all now.  All he wants to do is put police and fire personnel behind him and say they're going to lose their jobs when the fact is that 98% of police and fire are paid by local and state governments.

If they can't make a 7% cut in discretionary spending without it being this massive overhaul that they say will hurt everyone, they need to go back to a simple budgeting class.  I've loss more than 7% this year to my income because of health spending and tax increases, so I don't feel bad for any of them.  They've had 18 months to figure this out, but it wasn't important to them.

The ship is nowhere near upright.  If anything it's being torn in two by separate entities who have two visions for America....... One, the wrong vision, which is leading to the path of Austerity measures because of rampant uncontrolled spending, and the other that doesn't want to get involved because they're not popular and really don't seem to have a clear cut vision of the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Bullitt5339

You do realize that shortly after Bush took over, there was a recession that was caused by Clinton era policies?  And by his aggressive tax cuts and policies, he pulled us out of it pretty quickly.  I guess no one remembers that, since it's convenient to forget.  And Clinton didn't actually have a budget surplus, he did what others have done and moved discretionary money around to make it appear that there was, but we were still racking up a national debt during that time, just nowhere as large as we are now.  At least a part of the current melt-down was caused by Clinton era policies put in place.... ie Fanny May and Freddie Mac and pushing lending institutions to made risky home lones that came crashing down just a few years ago, and are still a big problem in my area.

Look, I'm no Bush fan at all.  I lost a lot of friends during my time in the Army before I was wounded and retired myself for no apparent reason and the Patriot Act was the largest Unconstitutional policy since the 1940's.  But this 6 years later, blame Bush crap is getting a little old.  While this started when Bush was in office, it could have been over for a long time now, given the proper policies and a more "hands-off" approach by Government toward big business.  Obama won't even come out and say that the Sequester was his plan and idea at all now.  All he wants to do is put police and fire personnel behind him and say they're going to lose their jobs when the fact is that 98% of police and fire are paid by local and state governments.

If they can't make a 7% cut in discretionary spending without it being this massive overhaul that they say will hurt everyone, they need to go back to a simple budgeting class.  I've loss more than 7% this year to my income because of health spending and tax increases, so I don't feel bad for any of them.  They've had 18 months to figure this out, but it wasn't important to them.

The ship is nowhere near upright.  If anything it's being torn in two by separate entities who have two visions for America....... One, the wrong vision, which is leading to the path of Austerity measures because of rampant uncontrolled spending, and the other that doesn't want to get involved because they're not popular and really don't seem to have a clear cut vision of the future.

Well, I thought we were supposed to refrain from politics in this thread.

Look, most know that tax cuts work for a couple of years to raise revenue by a larger percentage and then revenue as a percentage decreases

Clinton's surplus was measured relevant to all other Presidential budgets - so don't try your own voodoo economics.

After Bush's tax cuts, he was clueless as to what to do with the economy - as a last resort, you got $600 back and Bush hoped you'd spend it - that was his stimulus. Meanwhile, housing was starting to burst and they had no answers.

The economic deregulation begun under Clinton caused a collapse of the markets because Bush would not fund regulators. He believed in the free market, not realizing that big business and Wall Street only cared about themselves, and didn't mind filling their pockets with cash to help pull down a nation.

Recent books have revealed that Bush and Cheney "lied" us into Iraq. We now have over 4k dead and 36k wounded (from memory) in that conflict. Many will suffer their wounds with the resulting VA costs for the rest of their lives. Others will be wounded mentally for the remainder of their lives (PTSD) along with their families. My bet is Bush and Cheney did not even think about that...

I suggest we all cut the anti-Obama Rhetoric and work together, unlike the GOP - the GOP House was elected in 2010 to create jobs and did less than any other Congress for at least 70 years. Congress passes laws, not the President. He signs or vetoes them, and can be overridden. This new House is do nothing, too. They call the GOP the "stupid party." Even they call themselves "stupid." Believe it.

While I don't care for Obama that much, I care a helluva lot less for the GOP and its failure to govern or participate in government.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Bullitt5339

You do realize that shortly after Bush took over, there was a recession that was caused by Clinton era policies?  And by his aggressive tax cuts and policies, he pulled us out of it pretty quickly.  I guess no one remembers that, since it's convenient to forget.  And Clinton didn't actually have a budget surplus, he did what others have done and moved discretionary money around to make it appear that there was, but we were still racking up a national debt during that time, just nowhere as large as we are now.  At least a part of the current melt-down was caused by Clinton era policies put in place.... ie Fanny May and Freddie Mac and pushing lending institutions to made risky home lones that came crashing down just a few years ago, and are still a big problem in my area.

Look, I'm no Bush fan at all.  I lost a lot of friends during my time in the Army before I was wounded and retired myself for no apparent reason and the Patriot Act was the largest Unconstitutional policy since the 1940's.  But this 6 years later, blame Bush crap is getting a little old.  While this started when Bush was in office, it could have been over for a long time now, given the proper policies and a more "hands-off" approach by Government toward big business.  Obama won't even come out and say that the Sequester was his plan and idea at all now.  All he wants to do is put police and fire personnel behind him and say they're going to lose their jobs when the fact is that 98% of police and fire are paid by local and state governments.

If they can't make a 7% cut in discretionary spending without it being this massive overhaul that they say will hurt everyone, they need to go back to a simple budgeting class.  I've loss more than 7% this year to my income because of health spending and tax increases, so I don't feel bad for any of them.  They've had 18 months to figure this out, but it wasn't important to them.

The ship is nowhere near upright.  If anything it's being torn in two by separate entities who have two visions for America....... One, the wrong vision, which is leading to the path of Austerity measures because of rampant uncontrolled spending, and the other that doesn't want to get involved because they're not popular and really don't seem to have a clear cut vision of the future.

You are still drinking the GOP austerity koolaid mate...the very same policies that are burying England and other foolish Euro nations who fail to understand the simple Keynesian economic commandment: Thou shalt NOT cut government spending in the midst of a recession or its fragile recovery. You can NOT simply CUt your way back to prosperity.  The fastest time tested approach to economic recovery is Government investment in shovel ready and badly needed infrastructure projects which places cash in the hands of the true job creators -working people who create consumer demand....tax cuts for the rich is a tried and true abject failure as study after study as well as cold hard reality demonstrate.....yes it's counterintuitive -which is why Nobel prize winning economists have long advocated this approach...like Paul Krugman at Princeton and Joseph Stiglitz at Columbia.....Obama has tried repeatedly to follow this approach which the great FDR used to get us out of the last GOP-created Crash of '29/Great Depression but to no avail as the obstructionist GOP House refuses to even bring the American Jobs Act to the floor....the answer is becoming increasingly more clear for working Americans ...deal with the gridlock until '14 and flip the House to the Dems....with all 3 branches returned to adult supervision we can rapidly employ the Keynesian policies which have proven effective in cleaning up past GOP messes....btw Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac had little to NOTHING to do with the GOP deregulation of banking which led to the derivative, bundling and other Wall Street bankster ponzi schemes.....that, my friend is a laughable GOP lie since Barney Frank and company could not possibly have influenced a GOP run congress to such an extent-its a blatant lie and indeed has racist and classist overtones as the Repubs want to blame poor people and minorities for what their policies rendered......we know what needs to be done and the American people stand ready to oust the GOP obstructionists and get back on the road to full recovery.....the Democratic Party has been cleaning up Republican messes since 1933.  Just watch how this latest GOP hostage taking with the sequester backfires on the Repubs as they will rightfully get the blame for shutting down essential programs .....which will basically seal their electoral fate come 2014.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

It's cute that you guys think there's a difference between the two parties.

It's cuter that you can't discern the differences.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

We tend to lay all blame on the President with regards to budget, deficit, taxes, etc.  However, it is Congress who has the responsibility and power for taxes and revenue, not the President.  Article 1, Sections 7 and 8.  The President only can approve what is presented by Congress.  The President can propose a budget, but the bill must originate in the House.

http://billofrightsinstitute.org/founding-documents/constitution/

Congress has created these issues over the last three administrations, both Democrat and Republican.

Back on topic.  I wonder if Tiger gave any tips to the President like, "When throwing a club in anger, keep your left wrist flat and don't over rotate."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by stogiesnbogies

You are still drinking the GOP austerity koolaid mate...the very same policies that are burying England and other foolish Euro nations who fail to understand the simple Keynesian economic commandment: Thou shalt NOT cut government spending in the midst of a recession or its fragile recovery. You can NOT simply CUt your way back to prosperity.  The fastest time tested approach to economic recovery is Government investment in shovel ready and badly needed infrastructure projects which places cash in the hands of the true job creators -working people who create consumer demand....tax cuts for the rich is a tried and true abject failure as study after study as well as cold hard reality demonstrate.....yes it's counterintuitive -which is why Nobel prize winning economists have long advocated this approach...like Paul Krugman at Princeton and Joseph Stiglitz at Columbia.....Obama has tried repeatedly to follow this approach which the great FDR used to get us out of the last GOP-created Crash of '29/Great Depression but to no avail as the obstructionist GOP House refuses to even bring the American Jobs Act to the floor....the answer is becoming increasingly more clear for working Americans ...deal with the gridlock until '14 and flip the House to the Dems....with all 3 branches returned to adult supervision we can rapidly employ the Keynesian policies which have proven effective in cleaning up past GOP messes....btw Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac had little to NOTHING to do with the GOP deregulation of banking which led to the derivative, bundling and other Wall Street bankster ponzi schemes.....that, my friend is a laughable GOP lie since Barney Frank and company could not possibly have influenced a GOP run congress to such an extent-its a blatant lie and indeed has racist and classist overtones as the Repubs want to blame poor people and minorities for what their policies rendered......we know what needs to be done and the American people stand ready to oust the GOP obstructionists and get back on the road to full recovery.....the Democratic Party has been cleaning up Republican messes since 1933.  Just watch how this latest GOP hostage taking with the sequester backfires on the Repubs as they will rightfully get the blame for shutting down essential programs .....which will basically seal their electoral fate come 2014.

You are truly delusional, and it all makes sense now.  You're a walking/typing Progessive billboard.  And by the way, I'm not a Republican, as a Progressive, you'll love the fact that I am a Libertarian Constitutionalist and in that I hate both parties equally, but you just went on the typical full Progessive attack mode, quoting everything from the Progressive stance in almost one shot.  And you brought up racism and that the GOP hates poor people.  Good job.  Sal Alinsky would be proud of you.

Keysnesian Economics?  Seriously?  Yes, it's the basis of Macroeconomics, but in Macroeconomics you also learn that Government spending can push out spending by the Private Market because less is available in the market for Private Borrowing.  Sound familiar?  Keysnesian Economics only works in a totalitarian government.  If it worked, we'd be already out of this recession with the two huge Stimulus bills that did absolutely nothing.  If your Keysnesian Economics was so sound, why hasn't the Trillions that the Government pumped into the economy in the past 6 years made a dent?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

Clinton's surplus was measured relevant to all other Presidential budgets - so don't try your own voodoo economics.


My VooDoo economics?

Surplus in it's definition indicates that there was more revenue than expenditures.  That did not happen, we still spent more than we took in as a nation, so who's really guilty of VooDoo economics?  Wow........  We still had a $17.91 billion deficit.

Twisting the wording around doesn't account for the facts, even though I do believe Clinton and his Republican Congress worked well together and we were soooooo close to where we needed to be on spending.  Too bad it's just ballooned out of control since then, and even the people who called Bush "UnPatriotic" for running up so much debt now have no problem with the debt being added at a substantially higher rate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Bullitt5339

My VooDoo economics?

Surplus in it's definition indicates that there was more revenue than expenditures.  That did not happen, we still spent more than we took in as a nation, so who's really guilty of VooDoo economics?  Wow........  We still had a $17.91 billion deficit.

Twisting the wording around doesn't account for the facts, even though I do believe Clinton and his Republican Congress worked well together and we were soooooo close to where we needed to be on spending.  Too bad it's just ballooned out of control since then, and even the people who called Bush "UnPatriotic" for running up so much debt now have no problem with the debt being added at a substantially higher rate.

Ahhhhh, there's where you're going wrong.  You can't use normally understood definitions when dealing with liberals.  They redefine words or phrases to suit themselves and to persuade others who mistakenly believe that words mean the same thing to everyone.   It works too, because unfortunately there are too many people out there that are incapable of critical thought for themselves and simply accept what they hear on TV.......usually between episodes of Entertainment Tonight, Judge Judy, and Dr Phil.

I know......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

Quote:

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

It's cute that you guys think there's a difference between the two parties.

It's cuter that you can't discern the differences.


Two different names, same goal to perpetuate dependence on government and self preservation of  their egos. I am sorry but our country needs to overthrow the current government. It is only a matter of time before we hit rock bottom.Self importance by having differing opinions causing a false sense of "fighting" for a their important cause sapping the country of resources...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

We don't have many rules here, but when we say "no more politics in this thread" we mean it. You've all been docked five skins. You could have easily started a thread here in this forum, but instead, chose to ignore the request and continued to post in the original thread in Golf Talk .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Bullitt5339

My VooDoo economics?

Surplus in it's definition indicates that there was more revenue than expenditures.  That did not happen, we still spent more than we took in as a nation, so who's really guilty of VooDoo economics?  Wow........  We still had a $17.91 billion deficit.

Twisting the wording around doesn't account for the facts, even though I do believe Clinton and his Republican Congress worked well together and we were soooooo close to where we needed to be on spending.  Too bad it's just ballooned out of control since then, and even the people who called Bush "UnPatriotic" for running up so much debt now have no problem with the debt being added at a substantially higher rate.

I think its because Bush caused Hurricane Katrina...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

Quote:

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

It's cute that you guys think there's a difference between the two parties.

It's cuter that you can't discern the differences.

Two different names, same goal to perpetuate dependence on government and self preservation of  their egos. I am sorry but our country needs to overthrow the current government. It is only a matter of time before we hit rock bottom.Self importance by having differing opinions causing a false sense of "fighting" for a their important cause sapping the country of resources...

Yep, Valleygolfer gets it.

Today's political leaders on both sides have figured out that they can keep taxing us and spending our money with no accountability. Policies will always be controlled by whoever can throw the most money at the policy makers. It's no coincidence that 7 of the 10 most affluent counties in the nation are in the DC area - it's because government has become the most profitable business there is. The president doesn't have the power to change that system even if he wanted to.

You may think voting for president gives you a voice in what happens, but it's really just the appearance of having a voice.  It's the perfect system for those in power: As long as the people *think* they have some control over the course this country takes - as long as they *think* there really is a difference between dems and reps once they're in office - then they're happy to simply vote for the party they identify with based on the stereotypes that party advertises. It gives meaning to people when they think there are battle lines drawn, and that their side is the "good" side. They think, "We just have to bide our time and keep trying to get our side elected - then things will be better!"

But short of violent revolution (which I'm not advocating, ok FBI spybots?), I can't see anything changing until this country collapses under its own debt and mismanagement. The bailout a few years ago only postponed the inevitable: either hyperinflation or massive default.  One of those is going to happen regardless of who's in the white house - there's too much inertia for any other outcome.

Originally Posted by iacas

We don't have many rules here, but when we say "no more politics in this thread" we mean it. You've all been docked five skins. You could have easily started a thread here in this forum, but instead, chose to ignore the request and continued to post in the original thread in Golf Talk.

You're right Erik - sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by iacas

We don't have many rules here, but when we say "no more politics in this thread" we mean it. You've all been docked five skins. You could have easily started a thread here in this forum, but instead, chose to ignore the request and continued to post in the original thread in Golf Talk.

Yes, but I did notice that in the original thread, the political sniping continued after post 31, where you asked that political talk cease. When it continues or the thread is not edited or locked, the posters assume the gloves are off again or they missed your point about ceasing political talk because it continued further in the thread.

Of course, I defer to your judgment, and you have spoken ... decisively.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This is much ado about nothing.

The empty suit of a campaigner and the guy who might look like his son did not solver world hunger, did not stop global warming and neither one walked on water as far as I know.

All that occurred was the campaigner in chief wasted another million of the tax payers money so he could go chill with his choom gang and play a round of golf with his peeps.

Why everyone has their panties in a bunch thinking this is a great thing baffles me, and a s much as the story in and of itself sickens me, this is really a nothing story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by stogiesnbogies

You are still drinking the GOP austerity koolaid mate...the very same policies that are burying England and other foolish Euro nations who fail to understand the simple Keynesian economic commandment: Thou shalt NOT cut government spending in the midst of a recession or its fragile recovery. You can NOT simply CUt your way back to prosperity.  The fastest time tested approach to economic recovery is Government investment in shovel ready and badly needed infrastructure projects which places cash in the hands of the true job creators -working people who create consumer demand....tax cuts for the rich is a tried and true abject failure as study after study as well as cold hard reality demonstrate.....yes it's counterintuitive -which is why Nobel prize winning economists have long advocated this approach...like Paul Krugman at Princeton and Joseph Stiglitz at Columbia.....Obama has tried repeatedly to follow this approach which the great FDR used to get us out of the last GOP-created Crash of '29/Great Depression but to no avail as the obstructionist GOP House refuses to even bring the American Jobs Act to the floor....the answer is becoming increasingly more clear for working Americans ...deal with the gridlock until '14 and flip the House to the Dems....with all 3 branches returned to adult supervision we can rapidly employ the Keynesian policies which have proven effective in cleaning up past GOP messes....btw Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac had little to NOTHING to do with the GOP deregulation of banking which led to the derivative, bundling and other Wall Street bankster ponzi schemes.....that, my friend is a laughable GOP lie since Barney Frank and company could not possibly have influenced a GOP run congress to such an extent-its a blatant lie and indeed has racist and classist overtones as the Repubs want to blame poor people and minorities for what their policies rendered......we know what needs to be done and the American people stand ready to oust the GOP obstructionists and get back on the road to full recovery.....the Democratic Party has been cleaning up Republican messes since 1933.  Just watch how this latest GOP hostage taking with the sequester backfires on the Repubs as they will rightfully get the blame for shutting down essential programs .....which will basically seal their electoral fate come 2014.

I have to agree with you there Stogies, In Australia we spent big dollars on education, a broadband network and other schemes, and the proof of the pudding's in the eating. We've got 5.2% unemployment, good growth, bugger all debt etcetc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

It's cute that you guys think there's a difference between the two parties.


This.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2017 TST Partners

    PING Golf
    Leupold Golf
    Snell Golf
    Talamore Golf Resort
    Lowest Score Wins
  • Posts

    • Thanks for your questions Swede. Regarding data for irons, if I understand what you are asking, the driver data can't really be correlated. Each iron would have it's own ideal launch conditions (launch angle, spin rate, ball speed) which would be based off of the player's swing speed.  The ball is designed to perform differently with longer clubs than shorter clubs, but if you can get dialed in with your driver, you'll be pretty close with the rest of the set also. The driver/shaft combo certainly affects the trajectory as well, and sometimes guys are playing the wrong ball and the wrong driver.  But what I see more often is a player who goes through the fitting process when purchasing a driver and irons, then they play whatever ball happens to be on sale.  It would be like using a different driver every time they played!  When trying to optimize trajectory, the ball is a good place to start.  Why buy a new driver when moving to a different ball can make the difference?  Sometimes the ball will help some, but to get where a player needs to be a different shaft or driver might be needed also. A lot of guys will go through a ball fitting whenever they get a new driver, which is not a bad idea.  Usually, if your previous driver fit properly and the new one fits properly, the ball will work just fine.  I usually suggest going through a ball fitting at least every-other-season just to make sure.  Sometimes our swings evolve...maybe your swing has improved or swing speed has increased, or it could be the other way, but it's good to make sure your stuff is correct.
    • To be clear, I have never talked about "the Titleist fitting." I don't know what they do to fit players. I'm simply talking about their recommendation to start at the green and work backward, but ultimately to consider all the shots you play in a round of golf, not just ones with the driver. I'm not talking about "here's two balls, try them out." I'm talking about the idea of "here are 30 kinds of golf ball. I eliminated a few because they felt horrible off my putter. I eliminated a few more for poor performance around the green. I eliminated some more for poor spin or flight with my irons. Of the six that I had left, these two performed well with my driver, so one of them is a good fit. If they have a super official "ball fitting" process, I wasn't talking about that, nor was I talking about a "here is a Pro V1 and a Pro V1x… hit some shots and pick one." So… I wish you hadn't devoted that much attention to the "Titleist method" in your post when that's not at all what I was asking. My point was… I'm skeptical that the Bridgestone method (only hitting a few balls, not doing much to account for consistent tee heights, ball position, players getting "warmed up" during the process, etc., only using the driver and disregarding the rest of the shots) is a great method, either.
    • 1. Golf is elitist. So far from true but I still get way too many people who chuckle at my interest in golf- as if I should be embarrassed that I enjoy such a snobby pastime.  2. Just swing your swing- and stop obsessing about getting a "pretty" swing. Sorry, but that's not sound advice - when I get rid of the key elements that are holding me back, yes, sure- then I'll make the most of what I've got. I'll swing that swing. Until then, not a chance, now that I have learned about the fundamentals . There's work to be done to make my future golf far more enjoyable and competitive.   3. Lessons are expensive. Nope- look hard enough and you can find quality swing guidance at a reasonable price.  I agree with lotsa others above but these resonate for me at my level of play right and interactions with people now. 
    • Let me address the things you mentioned and clarify a little bit, because I think there is some misconceptions on some of the aspects. There is perception that the Titleist fitting covers everything and the Bridgestone only addresses the driver.  One of the biggest issues I have with the Titleist method is it's not a real golf ball fitting.  They give you a Pro V1 2-ball pack and a Pro V1x 2-ball pack and basically tell you to hit some shots and see which one you like best. So regardless of swing speed, handicap, launch numbers or anything else, they are saying you can pick this ball or that ball.  The other models in Titleist's line are not included and competitor models are not included.  I know for a fact that there are many players who don't fit into either of those models, but Titleist doesn't offer other options or comparisons.  They claim the Pro V1 and Pro V1x have the best distance, best short game spin, best flight characteristics, softest feel and great durability.  I hate to tell everyone, but there is no such thing as a perfect golf ball.  The laws of physics and aerodynamics apply to Titleist just like everyone else.  A ball that is designed for high spin will not be as long as a lower spinning model and will tend to curve more, and a ball designed for distance will not have the same type of performance on approach shots and around the green. Titleist also doesn't offer any data that shows how those models stack-up for players, or how they perform compared to their ideal numbers.  Sure, people love the spin that they get around the green, but do they need that much spin?  Is all that spin hurting them in other areas?  High spin actually gets a lot of players in trouble and costs them more strokes than it saves them.  Similar to the Titleist method that has players go through the process on their own, after a Bridgestone tech works with a player and their driver and shows them the data, a 2-ball pack is given to the player to continue their testing on the course with irons and short game.  As far as the number of shots on the launch monitor is concerned, you are correct...typically 3 or 4 shots with each ball is recorded.  It's not a lot, but it's 6-8 more shots over a launch monitor than a Titleist fitting. Obviously it would be great to do more, but a fitting could easily stretch to an hour per player, so a typical 4-5 hour event we could only help a handful of players.  A normal fitting takes about 15 min, so that is 16-20 players per event.  At that number, the cost of each fitting was right around $40/player.  If an hour was spent with each player, it would cost almost $200/player which isn't cost effective. On the launch angle issue, what I said was there are many things that can affect the launch, including the ball.  I didn't say 2* wasn't possible and I didn't say in the example I posted that only 1/2* could be attributed to the ball.  Honestly, I can't say how much of that 2* is related to moving to a different model...even if other variables like tee height, ball position were removed, the difference in loft will vary from player-to-player due to different swing speeds, swing paths, angle of attack etc which is unique to everyone.  Plus depending on what model is used first and which model is recommended could have a smaller or larger affect than other combinations.  You could probably make the same case for every category if you wanted though, right?  You could say how much of the difference in spin was caused by the ball change and how much was the result of some other variable?  Spin is more important than the launch angle, so even if the l.a. stayed the same, the drop in spin would have made a nice difference by itself.  But we know the player was launching the ball too low with too much spin, a lower spinning/higher launching ball was recommended and the results were a more efficient trajectory and an increase in performance. I believe the key is to be able to show a player in black and white what their launch conditions are with their current ball and how it compares to their ideal numbers.  If you can't show a player the areas that need improvement, then how can you confidently recommend the best ball for them?  The truth is, most people are playing the wrong ball, so it's not that hard to make an improvement, and honestly there are probably a handful of different makes/models that would be better.    
    • 1-5. Putting matters most. Uh huh. What are the chances I gain 2 strokes because I (or just about any golfer) 4 putted? It's happened. Rarely. What are the chances I (or just about any golfer) hit an errant tee shot and blow 2 strokes? 40% every tee shot for me. 
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Blog Entries

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Dragondrake
      Dragondrake
      (57 years old)
    2. Mistabigevil
      Mistabigevil
      (36 years old)
    3. Taylor56
      Taylor56
      (61 years old)
  • Get Great Gear with Amazon