IGNORED

My Swing (cipher)

cipher
Note: This thread is 978 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Not sure if it is the same reference. Erik was having me see more of my right shoulder in between my left forearm and right arm. Since your right arm isn't retracted behind you, I think you are probably on the flatter side but acceptable. You aren't as flat as Matt Kutchar.

Yeah it is definitely not a priority, but maybe something I will work on later this year, if the evolvr guys think I should.  It just bugs me obviously more than anything else.  Maybe it is just splitting hairs, but I would like to see the left shoulder just off my chin, which will mean the back swing is shorter as well.

Nate

:tmade:(11.5) :touredge:(2H) MIURA MB-101(3-PW) :mizuno:(52/56/60)

:odyssey: :snell: 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

This is from a number of months ago, but it has not changed and really bugs me. I don't like how flat I am with the driver and how I take it back too far. Or am I being overly picky about it being too flat?

Look at the picture. Now imagine your spine.

It should probably left tilt 5-10° while yours appears straight.

Yeah, it's a bit nit-picky - but it's easy to fix. Just left tilt more, and that will clean up the left arm and the hands. Left shoulder will go down, hands will seemingly go up.

One thing, several items fixed.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

"Don't just practice something until you get it right, practice it until you cannot get it wrong."

OT, but I thought this was worth mentioning again. Who ever thought of this should get a big pat on the back, or a cold beer..lol

Look at the picture. Now imagine your spine.

It should probably left tilt 5-10° while yours appears straight.

Yeah, it's a bit nit-picky - but it's easy to fix. Just left tilt more, and that will clean up the left arm and the hands. Left shoulder will go down, hands will seemingly go up.

One thing, several items fixed.

Yeah it should be pretty easy to clean up.  I have done it correctly before in one of my videos, can remember which.  I just actually have to think about it.  I will try and get some video in Florida next week.  I should be able to work it into my feels.  I find I can pretty much have one backswing feel and one downswing feel and that is about all I can work on/think about at one time. I am a simple mind.

"Don't just practice something until you get it right, practice it until you cannot get it wrong."

OT, but I thought this was worth mentioning again. Who ever thought of this should get a big pat on the back, or a cold beer..lol

I think the legend that is Erik coined that phrase...yeah it was definitely Erik. ;-)

Nate

Tried it a bit this morning.  My lack of flixibility is a bit limiting but feeling the stretching now in my left shoulder is a good indication of the change.  It is a slight change and I can maybe do it a little better as I work on it.  As Erik was saying it does seem to be cleaning up a few other things as well.  I like how it restricts me from going back too far a bit better.  As long as I can maintain my downswing feel, I may add this into my routine now.

Nate

Hey Nate, Any tips on getting to that position at impact, were the hips are that open?

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Hey Nate, Any tips on getting to that position at impact, were the hips are that open?

Yeah just spend about six months obsessing over it. :-D I have not been very good at explaining this but my best effort is probably here (post# 40) in @coachjimsc 's swing thread.  We might have pretty similar struggles with this so maybe it will help you.  Sorry if it does not.  I have been trying to figure out how best to explain it and it is hard to figure out, it is just that the feels that Erik and Dave gave me for it clicked.

Nate

Yeah just spend about six months obsessing over it.     I have not been very good at explaining this but my best effort is probably here (post# 40) in @coachjimsc's swing thread.  We might have pretty similar struggles with this so maybe it will help you.  Sorry if it does not.  I have been trying to figure out how best to explain it and it is hard to figure out, it is just that the feels that Erik and Dave gave me for it clicked.

Yea its not a priority piece right now. The dreaded backswing is. I get the whole stuck behind me look going on, right elbow likes to get retracted. Dread syndrome, Right Elbow Retractions. That sound professional. :-D Need more up than in with the hands. Pain in the ass feel for me. If I did that whole open hips thing right now my right hand might be behind my right hip going into impact with my current backswing, and probably totally miss the ball. Those are my two major things right now, backswing, and hips more open at impact. Seems to me you and I are mirroring each other a bit, but you are lightyears ahead in the hip department. :-D

I'll keep an eye out on your thread for some more tips :dance:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Seems to me you and I are mirroring each other a bit, but you are lightyears ahead in the hip department.

Yes that seems to be the case with the similar swing faults, but it more like just six months ahead of you in the hip department... :-D I'll take your swing speed though!  Please!

It will be probably the next priority for you I would assume so if you need anymore help let me know, but again I may not be the best at explaining it.

Nate

Wait, you're a 3.8, right? Do you play tourneys on ultra challenging courses? I've just started playing tourneys and I finally understand how hard it is to play above average in competition, but at a 3.8 I'd guess you'd be carding a ton of 78-82 and be disappointed you never card those 72-75 rounds you can card sometimes in casual rounds?

My third tourney was the first I felt like I played pretty well (82). I literally chanted this to myself before maybe 1/2 my shots and whenever I felt myself tightening up or getting frustrated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gvo-CCtC3Zs (the poem/mantra itself starts around 0:45 if you don't have patience for the intro). Worked like a charm.

@mdl those are good questions. I am moving my answer over to my thread, so I don't clutter @Golfingdad 's thread up too much. Technically yes I am a 3.8, but one who play nine holes of the same 36 hole course in soft conditions each morning during the summer before work. So take that for what it is worth... :-D The other thing is that I have really only played in one real tournament in the past three years which was the state am qualifier last year, in which I did not finish. If you want to know more about that, here you go. :8) Essentially I completely melted down mentally.  I virtually have no tournament experience.  I did play in one other tournament almost 4 years ago in which I was standing on the last tee with 80...and then I took a 10 on the last hole. The courses have not been that tough it is just that I need to learn to deal with the environment.  I was not going to play in any more tournaments but some of the guys here have talked me into confronting it by playing in a lot more. I guess I am a masochist. I plan on playing in a few this year to see if I can get over the problems I had last year.  So the expectations on my end are pretty low at this point. Basically just FINISH the round and hope to shot a half decent score at first. Thanks for the link BTW.

80 at a modestly difficult 73.0/135 course gives a differential of 5.8......within 2 strokes of his index. Tournament pressure, unfamiliar course that's likely set up tough. Yep, I'm right there with @cipher, anything close to cracking 80 is usually a really good tournament round.

Yep, and if I am able to start playing well in some then I might expect a bit more.

Nate

• 2 weeks later...
I have been down in FL and have played a couple rounds. First round was pretty rough. Second round went better. It was a twilight round and we only got 15 in. Shot 41 on the front with greens that were impossible to stick because of how hard they were. I could only find one ball mark and I have no idea if it was even mine. I was on pace to do about the same on the back. Good to get out though and I am really happy with how the changes are helping my ability with the woods and long irons especially so far. Just an update on what I have been noticing in my gaps. I might have a slight issue. About ten yards have been added to my carry with i20's since Erie...oh darn. ;) But here is my possible gap problem. 8 iron - 150 9 iron - 140 Edel 47 - 115-120 Edel 52 - 100 roughy Edel 57 - 85-90...maybe, not even sure yet. Is this OK? Maybe I should weight the nine down a bit? Heck, maybe I should be playing with heavier than D0 irons all together, IDK.

Nate

Maybe bend the 9 a degree or two weak?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Just an update on what I have been noticing in my gaps. I might have a slight issue. About ten yards have been added to my carry with i20's since Erie...oh darn. ;) But here is my possible gap problem.

8 iron - 150

9 iron - 140

Edel 47 - 115-120

Edel 52 - 100 roughy

Edel 57 - 85-90...maybe, not even sure yet.

Is this OK? Maybe I should weight the nine down a bit?

I'm really not at all familiar with what changing the weight to clubs would even do ... so I'd probably just go with David's answer and weaken the loft of the 9-iron.

I have a similar issue, but between my 50 and 54.5.  It's about a 20 yard gap, whereas everything else is 10-ish.  Part of me thinks it's how I swing.  I think I just need to take smoother, easier swings with the gap and bring it back about 5 yards. :)

Naw, just swing really hard with your pitching wedge :-P

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Naw, just swing really hard with your pitching wedge

Now that's advice we can all relate to! :-D

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Maybe bend the 9 a degree or two weak?

I'm really not at all familiar with what changing the weight to clubs would even do ... so I'd probably just go with David's answer and weaken the loft of the 9-iron.

I have a similar issue, but between my 50 and 54.5.  It's about a 20 yard gap, whereas everything else is 10-ish.  Part of me thinks it's how I swing.  I think I just need to take smoother, easier swings with the gap and bring it back about 5 yards. :)

Thanks guys.  I might do that with nine if you can with a cast club.  I did not know you can do that.  Maybe like you GD I just need to learn to take something off the nine. Easier said than done I spoze.

Naw, just swing really hard with your pitching wedge

I am pretty sure what I actually need to do is donate my i20's as they are no longer effective and buy some S55 irons, don't you think? :-D

Nate

I am pretty sure what I actually need to do is donate my i20's as they are no longer effective and buy some S55 irons, don't you think?

Sounds good except the S55 lofts are the same as the i20/25's. No problem ordering the 9 iron with a weaker loft. You can always make the wedge a little stronger as well. I really like the 55's, actually think I hit them slightly better than the i25's.

BTW you can customize the swing weight (you were talking about D0) in PING irons, that's what the weight port in the cavity is for. I go D3.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 978 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!