• Announcements

    • iacas

      Visit FlagstickRule.com   03/13/2017

      Visit the site flagstickrule.com to read about and sign a petition for the USGA/R&A regarding the one terrible rule in the proposed "modernized" rules for 2019.
Liko81

What do you use to keep track of your stroke count?

0   52 members have voted

  1. 1. What method of stroke counting do you use?

    • Digital Scorecard
      11
    • Clicker-style counter
      1
    • Thumbwheel counter
      0
    • String of Beads
      1
    • Other purpose-made counter device
      1
    • Pencil and paper or other "general-purpose" device
      21
    • I just trust my head
      76

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

70 posts in this topic

Just thought I'd throw this out. There are a lot of ways to keep track of the number of swings you've taken during play of a hole before marking it down on the scorecard; which one do you find works best for you?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sign up (or log in) today! It's free (and you won't see this ad anymore)!

Sign up (or log in) today! It's free (and you won't see this ad anymore)!

Weird poll ... I like that you put "I just trust my head" last, almost as an afterthought.  I also think you need an accompanying poll showing age because I'm going to guess that about 99% of people under 85 will all vote "their head."  I've seen those silly counters, and bead strings, etc, in the gadget section of the golf store, but I have never once played with somebody who actually used one.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

i tried using apps on my phone and it was just too much of a hassle.  part of the reason i enjoy golf is because i get to toss my cell in the bag and forget it.

i prefer using my head, but i'm a gadget junkie...so if anyone has any neat stroke-counting thing-a-ma-bobbers, then please post a link

fwiw...i'm 33yrs old

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The day that I'm hitting the ball so many times that I can't keep track of them will be a good day to take up another sport......

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by indykappa

i prefer using my head, but i'm a gadget junkie...so if anyone has any neat stroke-counting thing-a-ma-bobbers, then please post a link

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Easy enough to remember how many it takes to get it in the hole. My brain is fried but I'm good for the 8 minutes or so it takes to finish a hole. Especially when you consider that there is a specific goal in mind. Doesn't everyone stand over a ball and and think about what shot/stroke it is relative to par or whatever the scoring opportunity may be? Heck that's a big reason I blow short putts. By letting the gremlins in my head go wild trying to save par, bogey or worse.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I got some fingers! They work well for me.

I am truly lucky that I have the opportunity to play many courses, but perhaps only that one time. Not the "big" ones, but many that are my fellow golfers would say are their favorite ones. Finishing out a hole and turning around to see what I have just accomplished, gives me tremendous satisfaction.

When I am at home, my favorite partner will Tee off at # 1, and start doing the Calculus formulas on what he needs to break his personal course record.

I don't want to know. Not by hole, not at the turn and especially not at the last 3 or four holes. That's his game, not mine. I just want to play.

When my golf shoes are off, that's when I'm interested in what has occurred. When we are playing, and my partner  starts to get what I call the "score itch", I remind him he didn't take the two stroke penalty for just pulling into the parking lot? I didn't think so...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pennys. Put some in your left pocket and everytime you make a stroke shift one to your right.  Of course for some of us, carrying that many pennys would cause our pants to fall down.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like this question comes up every month on here, with that said I'll answer it the same way I do everytime.  I use GolfLogix on my iPhone.  I don't see why any serious golfer would not use GolfLogix or a similar service that can store your score online for you to review later.  You can also track tons of other stats that may help you address your issues in your golf game.  To me those that keep score in their head are playing just for fun and not to better themselves or compete.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The old fashioned score card or an app om my phone.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

While i'm perfectly capable of replaying and counting every shot I make during a round, I use the free devices that every course provides.  That would be scorecard and pencil (preferably with an eraser ).

Don't understand the obsession some have for with messing with an iPhone all the time.  My Garmin GPS is capable of keeping score for 4, stats, and downloading to my computer, but it's not worth the hassle for me so I just use it for distances.  If I want stats (rarely), it's just as fast to note them on the card.


Originally Posted by Motown88

I feel like this question comes up every month on here, with that said I'll answer it the same way I do everytime.  I use GolfLogix on my iPhone.  I don't see why any serious golfer would not use GolfLogix or a similar service that can store your score online for you to review later.  You can also track tons of other stats that may help you address your issues in your golf game.  To me those that keep score in their head are playing just for fun and not to better themselves or compete.

Not so.  Some of us are just less ACD than others.  I can look at a round and know exactly where I lost strokes without noting everything down.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've been trying to keep better stats on my game so I use OOBGolf app on my iPhone with the GPS feature turned off.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Zeph

The old fashioned score card or an app om my phone.

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I've been trying to keep better stats on my game so I use OOBGolf app on my iPhone with the GPS feature turned off.

Originally Posted by Motown88

I feel like this question comes up every month on here, with that said I'll answer it the same way I do everytime.  I use GolfLogix on my iPhone.  I don't see why any serious golfer would not use GolfLogix or a similar service that can store your score online for you to review later.  You can also track tons of other stats that may help you address your issues in your golf game.  To me those that keep score in their head are playing just for fun and not to better themselves or compete.

Originally Posted by Zeph

The old fashioned score card or an app om my phone.

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I've been trying to keep better stats on my game so I use OOBGolf app on my iPhone with the GPS feature turned off.

I think OP is talking about counting your score for the hole, not the round.  i.e., using beads or something so that you know you've hit the ball four times not three.

I was shocked when I looked at the results and saw 19% use an app on their phone to count their strokes.  But this explains it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ah. When you mention it, it makes sense. I keep count of the shots on a hole in my head. On disaster holes where I need 10+ shots, I may have to re-count after I've holed out, but I stopped using beads a long time ago.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Zeph

Ah. When you mention it, it makes sense.

I keep count of the shots on a hole in my head. On disaster holes where I need 10+ shots, I may have to re-count after I've holed out, but I stopped using beads a long time ago.

Well, duh! I read it as total too.  If you can't count high enough to keep track of strokes on a hole then maybe you need more range time before coming to the course.

I've never known anyone but a couple of very bad women players who used a stroke counter.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Weird poll ... I like that you put "I just trust my head" last, almost as an afterthought.  I also think you need an accompanying poll showing age because I'm going to guess that about 99% of people under 85 will all vote "their head."  I've seen those silly counters, and bead strings, etc, in the gadget section of the golf store, but I have never once played with somebody who actually used one.

That's one opinion. The poll shows about a 50-50 split between mental scoring and other methods, so without a breakdown by age I would hazard my own guess that yours is wrong. As far as ordering the choices, the current order is by complexity/cost of the solution; keeping track in your head is free and the simplest method, while a digital scorecard is usually the most expensive (taking into account the cost of the smartphone in addition to the free app run on it, in that case). I ordered the questions this way and not from simplest to most complex to encourage people to at least consider all options before saying you just keep track in your head.

BTW, this thread was post #2 on this forum, and this post, #4, will be my last as the welcome I have received has been downright chilling. Thank you Zeph, newtogolf, Hazard Magnet, indykappa, and Dave for your helpful and at least neutrally-voiced posts. Fourputt and David in FL, shame on you; I don't know how you got to be forum leaders or what the title implies here, but this forum will die if its "leaders" continue to show the elitism and snobbishness evident in your response to such a simple question.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Liko81

That's one opinion. The poll shows about a 50-50 split between mental scoring and other methods, so without a breakdown by age I would hazard my own guess that yours is wrong. As far as ordering the choices, the current order is by complexity/cost of the solution; keeping track in your head is free and the simplest method, while a digital scorecard is usually the most expensive (taking into account the cost of the smartphone in addition to the free app run on it, in that case). I ordered the questions this way and not from simplest to most complex to encourage people to at least consider all options before saying you just keep track in your head.

I think its likely that the 9 people who chose apps or pencil misunderstood the question and that only 2 of the 21 actually use a device to count strokes in the way that you meant.  Those two are probably you and Derrick Parker, judging from the responses.

I think I've seen someone use beads once or twice and I would guess that I've played with 300 or 400 people.

Originally Posted by Liko81

BTW, this thread was post #2 on this forum, and this post, #4, will be my last as the welcome I have received has been downright chilling. Thank you Zeph, newtogolf, Hazard Magnet, indykappa, and Dave for your helpful and at least neutrally-voiced posts. Fourputt and David in FL, shame on you; I don't know how you got to be forum leaders or what the title implies here, but this forum will die if its "leaders" continue to show the elitism and snobbishness evident in your response to such a simple question.

Since you've only got a few posts I looked at the the others (you're at 7, btw ).  You asked about G10s and got kind and helpful responses, and you posted on a few other threads but either had no direct replies or a reply that was in agreement with you.  So I've got to think that the "downright chilling" response you received was based on this thread.  Gotta say, t his is the internet, you've got to grow thicker skin if you're going to ask for people's opinions.  David in FL's comment was extremely mild.  By your own count you had 6 helpful responses and two unhelpful ones? "Downright chilling"?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I love it!!!! I have had holes where I need one of these (or was it 2)!!!! I'm the type of guy who would show up on the first tee on Saturday morning with one of these hanging from my bag for a few laughs, mostly at myself.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2017 TST Partners

    PING Golf
    Leupold Golf
    Snell Golf
    Talamore Golf Resort
    Lowest Score Wins
  • Posts

    • Played yesterday at SGCC. 36-40-76 -2 birdies and 2 doubles (ugh), one double was a 3-putt
    • I am going to try the TP version of my old club.  It has a 390CC head.  It was only 30 bucks so I figured it couldn't hurt to see if it helps a little on the forgiveness.  I guess the game is just passing me by...I can't see myself using those gigantic drivers.  The thing I noticed is that with the smaller head, that I am more focused on hitting the sweet spot.  With the giant club it just seems like you hit it anywhere on the face.  Am I correct in thinking that a "sweet spot" is not any larger on the bigger heads?  Is it just that on off center hits there is better chance of hitting it straight?  
    • I'll keep this on the short side because some random person's Member Swing thread isn't really the place for this kind of discussion… By most I'll clarify: the vast, vast majority. I'm not talking about 53% here. That doesn't mean you were doing it right or most efficiently. You may very well have been capable of making the change - and making it more quickly - with a ball if you'd done it differently. Sounds slow. Not for everyone, but for a good chunk of people. That's not what I advocate in the above linked post, either. Generally speaking, here's what I see: You tell people to fix the move without a golf ball. They work and work and film and record, and eventually, they've got a great practice swing. You say "great, now do that with a ball" and they almost immediately and completely revert to their old swing. Simply put, what I recommend to people is: A rehearsal swing or two. Often these too are shorter, slower, simpler swings. A shorter, slower, simpler swing focusing just on the "piece" while hitting a ball. As you become proficient, the swing gets less short, less slow, and closer to the full swing. Practice at the edge of your ability, but do it with a ball. The approach there blends no-ball practice (the first bullet) but immediately ties it to a motion you make with a golf ball. If you're shanking, topping, etc. the ball too much, you're not doing it slowly, "shortly," or simply enough.
    • Shot a 41 in my match play League.  Opponent was giving me 3 strokes.  I won the match 5 to 4. 5 pars 3 bogeys 1 double Good:  Drove 6/7 fairways and the only one that I missed was by about a foot.  Hit some very good approach shots.  I had 4 birdie putts ranging from 6-25 feet.  Alas, i made none. Bad: Other than duffing 2 shots on the first hole (an easy par 5) i played pretty solid.    
    • This entirely depends on where you play. I play courses that usually have three groups and a couple of singles out per side, and I would say no, but then I get to an urban course, like Long. Island, or South Florida, and it's anger management time.  I like to watch my friends's shots, and compliment their successes, I take a couple practice swings if I am in an uneven lie, or whatever, but I am not going to spend time searching for extra balls while walking between shots, or sit and BS at the tee before shooting. For some reason I am always ready to hit first, honors or no, and I just don't get why people take so long there. As long as I can do the things I enjoy, like watching my shots and my friends shots, and take due care taking my shots and putting, I don't feel rushed, but three hours for a foursome means you have four serious golfers. My golfing is more social so that is unlikely to happen. I play with one guy who takes pace seriously, and we do fine.  If we want to pick up the pace of a group, we play best ball. Maybe the conversations on the tee are because that's where everybody gathers together for the next hole and people like to talk. I like to play golf.
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Blog Entries

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Golfgirl10543
      Golfgirl10543
      (43 years old)
    2. jkettman
      jkettman
      (28 years old)
    3. old man1953
      old man1953
      (64 years old)
  • Get Great Gear with Amazon