IGNORED

What do you use to keep track of your stroke count?

Note: This thread is 2614 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

53 members have voted

1. 1. What method of stroke counting do you use?

• Digital Scorecard
    • Clicker-style counter
    • Thumbwheel counter
    • String of Beads
    • Other purpose-made counter device
    • Pencil and paper or other "general-purpose" device
    • I just trust my head

Originally Posted by Liko81

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Weird poll ... I like that you put "I just trust my head" last, almost as an afterthought.  I also think you need an accompanying poll showing age because I'm going to guess that about 99% of people under 85 will all vote "their head."  I've seen those silly counters, and bead strings, etc, in the gadget section of the golf store, but I have never once played with somebody who actually used one.

That's one opinion. The poll shows about a 50-50 split between mental scoring and other methods, so without a breakdown by age I would hazard my own guess that yours is wrong. As far as ordering the choices, the current order is by complexity/cost of the solution; keeping track in your head is free and the simplest method, while a digital scorecard is usually the most expensive (taking into account the cost of the smartphone in addition to the free app run on it, in that case). I ordered the questions this way and not from simplest to most complex to encourage people to at least consider all options before saying you just keep track in your head.

BTW, this thread was post #2 on this forum, and this post, #4, will be my last as the welcome I have received has been downright chilling. Thank you Zeph, newtogolf, Hazard Magnet, indykappa, and Dave for your helpful and at least neutrally-voiced posts. Fourputt and David in FL, shame on you; I don't know how you got to be forum leaders or what the title implies here, but this forum will die if its "leaders" continue to show the elitism and snobbishness evident in your response to such a simple question.

Well, sorry to ruffle you're feathers, but some of us have different opinions, and discussions on this forum are 90% opinion, 10% factual data.  You don't like what I said, refute it, don't run away.

I don't keep stats, and I don't see any real use for them.  That is simply my opinion.  I think that some get overly obsessed with that to the detriment of just having fun playing golf.  Others would say that I'm overly obsessed with playing by the rules.  I'm fine with their opinion as long as they just let me be.  In spite of our differing opinions, we can still play together and have a great time, you  keeping your stats and me obsessing over making a correct drop.  It is what it is.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That's one opinion. The poll shows about a 50-50 split between mental scoring and other methods, so without a breakdown by age I would hazard my own guess that yours is wrong. As far as ordering the choices, the current order is by complexity/cost of the solution; keeping track in your head is free and the simplest method, while a digital scorecard is usually the most expensive (taking into account the cost of the smartphone in addition to the free app run on it, in that case). I ordered the questions this way and not from simplest to most complex to encourage people to at least consider all options before saying you just keep track in your head.

BTW, this thread was post #2 on this forum, and this post, #4, will be my last as the welcome I have received has been downright chilling. Thank you Zeph, newtogolf, Hazard Magnet, indykappa, and Dave for your helpful and at least neutrally-voiced posts. Fourputt and David in FL, shame on you; I don't know how you got to be forum leaders or what the title implies here, but this forum will die if its "leaders" continue to show the elitism and snobbishness evident in your response to such a simple question.

Huh?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Well, sorry to ruffle you're feathers, but some of us have different opinions, and discussions on this forum are 90% opinion, 10% factual data.  You don't like what I said, refute it, don't run away.   I don't keep stats, and I don't see any real use for them.  That is simply my opinion.  I think that some get overly obsessed with that to the detriment of just having fun playing golf.  Others would say that I'm overly obsessed with playing by the rules.  I'm fine with their opinion as long as they just let me be.  In spite of our differing opinions, we can still play together and have a great time, you  keeping your stats and me obsessing over making a correct drop.  It is what it is.

Those without bounds of talent may have to keep stats to work more efficiently on their game. A lot of the players in this forum want to become as good as they can get. They don't just play for fun. Personally, improving is what I find fun.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Originally Posted by dsc123

I think OP is talking about counting your score for the hole, not the round.  i.e., using beads or something so that you know you've hit the ball four times not three.

I was shocked when I looked at the results and saw 19% use an app on their phone to count their strokes.  But this explains it.

You're 100% right, I track shots of current hole in my head, then after putting out, put the stats into OOBGolf.  Guess I need to learn to read more carefully.  Thanks

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by Zeph

Those without bounds of talent may have to keep stats to work more efficiently on their game. A lot of the players in this forum want to become as good as they can get. They don't just play for fun. Personally, improving is what I find fun.

+1

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

All due respect, based on the actual comments people left, its pretty clear that several of them misunderstood your question.  You were clearly asking how you keep track of your shots during a hole, not during a round.  So take all of the "digital" and "scorecard" votes and add them to the "trust your head" total and what do you get?  Currently it's 23-2.  Without knowing the age of the 2 people who voted beads and clickers, lets (for your sake) assume they are under 85.  That means you are right because only 92% of respondents have voted for "trust your head."

So, I apologize and I stand corrected.

(Yes, I'm being sarcastic there.  I don't care too much for whiney people, and if you ask a question then bitch about people who are nice enough to answer your question, then, well, you get what you ask for)

Whoops, just now realized that you said you were quitting the forum already.  I guess I'm talking to the air right now.

Originally Posted by Zeph

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Well, sorry to ruffle you're feathers, but some of us have different opinions, and discussions on this forum are 90% opinion, 10% factual data.  You don't like what I said, refute it, don't run away.

I don't keep stats, and I don't see any real use for them.  That is simply my opinion.  I think that some get overly obsessed with that to the detriment of just having fun playing golf.  Others would say that I'm overly obsessed with playing by the rules.  I'm fine with their opinion as long as they just let me be.  In spite of our differing opinions, we can still play together and have a great time, you  keeping your stats and me obsessing over making a correct drop.  It is what it is.

I didn't say that I was opposed to keeping stats, only that I don't do it.  And you'll never mistake my talent level with that of Tiger Woods.  I think that we all find improvement fun.  I just choose not to make that my focus when I play.  Until I retired I never had the time to work on every aspect of my game and still have time to play as much as I wanted, so I chose to put my focus on my greenside play.  That's where I could see a need without recourse to keeping detailed stats, and where I could get the most bang for my practice hour.  By following that philosophy I improved from an 18 handicap to an 11 in just a 3 month period, and ultimately got down to a 9.  Even though my cap is now in the 13 range (I don't keep an official one any more), I can still shoot in the mid 70's a few times a year on my home course (even beat our head pro straight up 4 years ago), and that's really all I ask of my game.

I never wanted to be one of those guys who gets unduly frustrated when he hits his personal wall and can't find a way to pass it.  I've always chosen play over practice when I had that choice because that is what makes golf fun for me.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

@Fourputt: I understand. My comment was mainly directed to this one: [quote]That is simply my opinion. I think that some get overly obsessed with that to the detriment of just having fun playing golf.[/quote] Where I wanted to mention that practicing, keeping stats and improving is the fun for a lot of people, even though they may get a bit mad at themselves after a poor shot.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Maybe the day will come when I can't keep the simple stats I keep in my head, but for now I am able to "replay" the round in my mind and jot my stats on the score card.  I keep my score on a score card, and after the round I replay the round in my head and mark fairways hit, putts, penalty strokes and then enter the results into the tracking software that is available with my Skycaddie subscription.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

You gotta love it.  I have a buddy who can never remember what he had on a hole (usually wants to forget a stroke here or there), think I will get him one of these.  :)

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

I keep track of my strokes in my head as I'm playing the hole, then I write them on the scorecard at the conclusion of each hole.  It's never seemed that difficult to me and I've never felt like I needed any other device to accomplish the purpose.  I also track fairways hit and # of putts on the scorecard - after the round, I enter the stats into OOBGolf (I maintain a GHIN handicap, but also use OOB for stat tracking purposes).

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

• 2 weeks later...

I always keep my score in my head, to write down after every hole. But my GPS keeps track of it far better, with shots, club used, distances. Its a great gadget for when nobody is behind you, and time is not important, you can learn a lot about your game and your clubs..

Scorecard is fantastic as well.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

I always keep my score in my head, to write down after every hole. But my GPS keeps track of it far better, with shots, club used, distances. Its a great gadget for when nobody is behind you, and time is not important, you can learn a lot about your game and your clubs..

Scorecard is fantastic as well.

Callaway upro mx+?

Originally Posted by Mathwiz

Callaway upro mx+?

on the money.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

• 1 year later...

Being a senior golfer retired who walks nine holes on our league I notice some of us get brain dead while figuring out the score on the hole and may forget to count that trip into the sand trap and a few of the topped shots on the way to green so I think I can also relate to the question at hand.  I had a five dollar clicker I used but the thing broke fast so I used ten beads on leather string but the problem is sometimes the beads slipped down while walking or you hit the ball and forget to pull down another bead.  The best way I had explained to me by another senior golfer is to just hit the ball which is hitting one.  The ball goes into the water or lost in the woods score one in and then two out of the water or woods (your penalty) and then your hitting three which is really laying two (not one because of penalty).  You then hit three and if it goes into the woods or gets lost four in five out and you are laying five shooting six until you reach the green which when you land saying lets say you are on in six.  Then I count the puts which I hope happens in two but more than likely three putt I add that to my score of six on the green which would be a total of nine for just for my example here.  Now go ahead an laugh all you want but I thank God everyday I am still able to drag my worn out butt out on the golf course walk nine holes with my push cart with all the jokes I get about is it raining when I have my umbrella up to protect me from the heat and sun and still can remember to find the way there and back home.   I can handle the jokes and love to send a few digs back also.   I like that Callaway upro mx+ suggested and just googled info on it and just may end up buying one to help me out as they are reasonably priced .  Thats the kind of info I think Liko 81 was asking for but got silly answers instead IMHO...

I use Golf Pad GPS app on iPhone.  It can track a ton of stats and keep your scores.  I really only use it for the scorecard.  I like it though.  I keep my phone in my back pocket, use it as a GPS for every shot, and I can just tap it to record 1 stroke.  And it keeps track of GIR's, numbers of putts and penalties etc.  I haven't really explored everything else it can do.  But I know you can go as far as inputting which club you used for each shot.

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

Note: This thread is 2614 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!