IGNORED

How to Effectively Create Lag on the Downswing

mvmac
Note: This thread is 2370 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

Is the proper lowering of the arms a significant contributor to maintaining one's inclination to the ground on the downswing through impact? To me, it feels (key word here) like I have the proper amount of spinal flexion deeper into my downswing the better the arms come down, as opposed to say, keeping my arms completely loaded, in which case, the only way I can get to the ball is to extend my spine excessively and tip my head back.

I'm not sure about you're initial question. Hopefully it will be addressed by a better player. If this is relevant, I start my downswing off by dropping my hands slowly at first until I get into the slot(?) before letting my body accelerate them through. If I try to start too fast from the top, I will often top the ball.

Regarding your last sentence: To me, it feels like my head and shoulders are tipping back and my back is arched a bit at impact. Might be wrong, but I'm not sure how else you could keep your head stationary while bringing your hips, weight and hands forward. I seem to make good contact resulting in decent ball flight - at least much of the time.

Jon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by JonMA1

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

Is the proper lowering of the arms a significant contributor to maintaining one's inclination to the ground on the downswing through impact? To me, it feels (key word here) like I have the proper amount of spinal flexion deeper into my downswing the better the arms come down, as opposed to say, keeping my arms completely loaded, in which case, the only way I can get to the ball is to extend my spine excessively and tip my head back.

I'm not sure about you're initial question. Hopefully it will be addressed by a better player. If this is relevant, I start my downswing off by dropping my hands slowly at first until I get into the slot(?) before letting my body accelerate them through. If I try to start too fast from the top, I will often top the ball.

Regarding your last sentence: To me, it feels like my head and shoulders are tipping back and my back is arched a bit at impact. Might be wrong, but I'm not sure how else you could keep your head stationary while bringing your hips, weight and hands forward. I seem to make good contact resulting in decent ball flight - at least much of the time.

Sorry, I should'nt have used the word "feel" as feel isn't real obviously, but I linked my proposed feels to legitimate questions about universal mechanics.

The video actually addressed my initial question. I just hadn't viewed it in a while, so I forgot that it was there.

Constantine

Originally Posted by cipher

You pull the handle down, get the arms moving fast and the rest happens if the keys are in place.

Mike is right, for me it has been about 30 yards with my driver, about 15 or so yards on my irons, and I have a long way to go.

I finally got a chance to swing my 5 iron after work tonight. Started out very ugly - I couldn't seem to stay balanced. Then I started to pull the handle down low towards the ball . I think this creates the lag you guys are talking about. Anyway, everything started to click. 5, 6, 7 shots in a row with the same clean contact and ball flight.

Every shot was extremely high and had nice fade but not much distance. Don't get me wrong, I prefer the high flight and a predictable fade doesn't bother me. But this swing was producing a bit more of each than I'm used to. Tried the inside to out path to no avail. So then I moved the ball back in my stance thinking this might fix both. It straightened out my fade but I couldn't get the ball to fly lower. Lack of distance is still a concern but as you and Mike have suggested, the swing needs a lot of work so maybe the distance will improve. Still have to get more weight forward and finish on balance.

Jon

I finally got a chance to swing my 5 iron after work tonight. Started out very ugly - I couldn't seem to stay balanced. Then I started to pull the handle down low towards the ball . I think this creates the lag you guys are talking about. Anyway, everything started to click. 5, 6, 7 shots in a row with the same clean contact and ball flight.   Every shot was extremely high and had nice fade but not much distance. Don't get me wrong, I prefer the high flight and a predictable fade doesn't bother me. But this swing was producing a bit more of each than I'm used to. Tried the inside to out path to no avail. So then I moved the ball back in my stance thinking this might fix both. It straightened out my fade but I couldn't get the ball to fly lower. Lack of distance is still a concern but as you and Mike have suggested, the swing needs a lot of work so maybe the distance will improve. Still have to get more weight forward and finish on balance.

It sounds like key number three is out of place as well. Flat left wrist. I have been having issues with this as of late. For me I cannot really think about the left wrist, in the backswing, I think about right wrist extension(backwards bend). For some reason when you change certain things in the swing you can seem to loose track of this. Have you thought about evolvr? Maybe you are doing it already, but they will find all this stuff in your swing when the rest of us cannot.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Haven't tried Evolvr but I just now went to the website. The monthly plan seems very reasonable. I'm really sold on the 5sk method and will buy the DVD set very soon. If for no other reason, it has already helped my swing out so much I feel like I owe them at least that.

I'm really trying not to take advantage of the TST as far as asking for free advice but sometimes I get carried away when talking golf. Thanks for the help.

Jon

Haven't tried Evolvr but I just now went to the website. The monthly plan seems very reasonable. I'm really sold on the 5sk method and will buy the DVD set very soon. If for no other reason, it has already helped my swing out so much I feel like I owe them at least that.  I'm really trying not to take advantage of the TST as far as asking for free advice but sometimes I get carried away when talking golf. Thanks for the help.

I became a supporter as a way to give back. I also do Evolvr but that's more of a straight up business transaction. Supporter is a great way to support the site and give back for all they have done for me.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Supporter is a great way to support the site and give back for all they have done for me.

and to ensure that nobody is talking about you behind your back. ;)

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Shhhhh ...

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Haha, yeah that too. :-)

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I always just assume that's going on. Keeps me from feeling guilty when I do the same. It's only when people talk crap to my face that I get in trouble.

In this case, you guys could tell me what a cheap bastard I am and I couldn't argue. I really wasn't aware that most everyone donated to the site. I might have to lay low for a while - no more asking for free advice. Either that or tell GVSU next semester's tuition is going to TST. I'm sure they'll understand.

Thanks for all the help the last couple of months. This is a great site!

Jon

I always just assume that's going on. Keeps me from feeling guilty when I do the same. It's only when people talk crap to my face that I get in trouble. In this case, you guys could tell me what a cheap bastard I am and I couldn't argue. I really wasn't aware that most everyone donated to the site. I might have to lay low for a while - no more asking for free advice. Either that or tell GVSU next semester's tuition is going to TST. I'm sure they'll understand. Thanks for all the help the last couple of months. This is a great site!

Don't worry it only happens if you deserve it! ;)

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

I always just assume that's going on. Keeps me from feeling guilty when I do the same. It's only when people talk crap to my face that I get in trouble.

In this case, you guys could tell me what a cheap bastard I am and I couldn't argue. I really wasn't aware that most everyone donated to the site. I might have to lay low for a while - no more asking for free advice. Either that or tell GVSU next semester's tuition is going to TST. I'm sure they'll understand.

Thanks for all the help the last couple of months. This is a great site!

Sorry Bro, I didn't mean to imply in any way that you were cheap or that donations were required. My bad if it came off that way. Far as I know, the only obligation around here is to be civil, oh and avoid being willfully ignorant, that can getcha in trouble around here too. LOL. Other than that welcome to the community!

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Sorry Bro, I didn't mean to imply in any way that you were cheap or that donations were required. My bad if it came off that way. Far as I know, the only obligation around here is to be civil, oh and avoid being willfully ignorant, that can getcha in trouble around here too. LOL. Other than that welcome to the community!

No worries, I didn't take it that way at all. Most of my reply was a poor attempt at humor, but I am serious about owing the 5SK guys. I still suck at golf, just not as bad thanks to them.

Jon

I really wasn't aware that most everyone donated to the site.

Not sure if that's the case.  I'm still not really sure how I got access anyway.

Not sure if that's the case.  I'm still not really sure how I got access anyway.

Brandon, you're a forum leader. Somebody nominated you and Erik accepted so that's how you got in. Most of us had to buy our way in. ;)

Brandon, you're a forum leader. Somebody nominated you and Erik accepted so that's how you got in. Most of us had to buy our way in. ;)

Hmmm, must be one of the guys I paid off to be my friend.  I guess we all pay in our own way

Hmmm, must be one of the guys I paid off to be my friend.  I guess we all pay in our own way a1_smile.gif

Yep. Some of you smart and witty guys get invited. Guys like me gotta pony up.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUrCLTAPZZY[/VIDEO]

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Note: This thread is 2370 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!