IGNORED

Question for teachers: Why are Dan McLaughlin's (www.thedanplan.com) numbers so low

garybbq
Note: This thread is 3908 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by soon_tourpro

No wonder you suck due to golf instruction pretty much is clueless in general its not your fault.

I find it funny when I see a PGA well known trainer who people think is good, train someone and my brain is like why do he teach that way as it makes it hard to learn and do?

I talked to some trainers also, and I talk to players also, once you know as I done added 50 yards to someones driver and they hit it long in regard to others in 5 minutes, you have to ask what they are doing in golf.

I see so many posts about what happens inside your head before the impact and I go, dont they know once you start the swing its automatic and no consious interuption is needed?

why do people insist they can control things in a swing action that happens in a second or so that is beyond their own perception during the sequence?

oh yes, your golf instructor said you can do it.

Talent is a conceptual idea people use when they have no clue and make guesses.

its more comforting for people that fail and blame their lack of talent for the reason insetad of something else like drug abuse, or being lazy or simply listening to bad instruction.

In regard to Dan, he is doing a plan, wont mean its a good one.

He works a bit to much, he has bad mechanics IMO, but a good short game, so once he get the ball striking going which is unlikely he be dropping a lot of shots due to the rest of his game is good and solid. he struggles now due to being short and wild.

due to a lack of sequence and pivot.

Talent includes genetics, you were dealt a bad hand having to overcome cancer at 13 and the host of problems that followed.  It's a credit to your efforts and determination that you've gotten this far in the sport, but you can't dispute you'd likely be even better had you not had to overcome the physical limitations that you've faced.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You really think so? I mean 4000 hours is a seriously long time to spend on golf. I have seen quite a few high handicap golfers in reasonable shape carry past 250 and they certianly didnt spend 4000 hours with a coach.

I recently played with a guy who's swing plane was perfect. He would get over the play rehearse his swing getting it into postions (to mechanical for my liking). He left all or most of his weight on his front foot...can you guess that I was passing him like a slow boat to China. I wanted to say something but never did. I am by no means a big hitter. Your first move to the ball Is getting forward. You can't get go forward if you never go back. Leaving weight forward is good for a low punch shot. Google YouTube video Bobby Jones on clearing the left side

• Administrator

soon_tourpro, three quick things:

1. Some people can train all they want and will never be able to jump as high as Michael Jordan does when he rolls out of bed in the morning. Talent is not a myth - it's a very real thing.
  2. Multi-quote when you want to respond to several posts.
  3. Stop knocking "instruction" because you're posting on a site with some great instructors, and you've never done anything on here to help anyone, or engaged in any real conversation, or anything like that. It's rude, and shows that you've not done anything to actually read what's posted here by Mike, myself, and others.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by MS256

My opinions with nothing to back them up

Hehehehe...this sounds like 99.99% of everything ever said on the interweb ;)

Regards

Mailman

Mailman

Whenever talent or natural ability come up I go watch this,

http://www.ted.com/talks/black_my_journey_to_yo_yo_mastery.html

However I am sure he had talent and natural ability and succeeded the first time and pulled all that off in a minute.

He had God given gifts and his hand behind him I am sure.

Most can practice a lot, wont make you good, just a bit better, then a few understand that deliberate/deep practice allows you to become good not just better and then there are even fewer that also understand that a superior strategy allows you to succeed beyond what people call talented and natural ability.

Robert Something

I don't care how much he works at it, or how superior his strategy is, this dude ain't playin' for the Red Sox!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Whenever talent or natural ability come up I go watch this,

http://www.ted.com/talks/black_my_journey_to_yo_yo_mastery.html

However I am sure he had talent and natural ability and succeeded the first time and pulled all that off in a minute.

He had God given gifts and his hand behind him I am sure.

Most can practice a lot, wont make you good, just a bit better, then a few understand that deliberate/deep practice allows you to become good not just better and then there are even fewer that also understand that a superior strategy allows you to succeed beyond what people call talented and natural ability.

Talk out of your ass much?

Yea, and good luck with getting people to view practicing a freakin' yo-yo with playing golf.

Seriously though, this constant platitudes thing is endless with you, man.

Constantine

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

Yea, and good luck with getting people to view practicing a freakin' yo-yo with playing golf.

You mad Bro?

;)

Upset even?

Dont you understand?

Dont feel bad I can help you with that.

I understand the limited mindset you have and others have, its ok.

You dont want to understand? cool :)

Robert Something

You mad Bro? ;) Upset even? Dont you understand? Dont feel bad I can help you with that. I understand the limited mindset you have and others have, its ok. You dont want to understand? cool :)

I realise you arent talking to me but, understand what? I don't recall you ever really saying anything of substance. It's all very vague.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

I realise you arent talking to me but, understand what? I don't recall you ever really saying anything of substance. It's all very vague.

I speak knucklehead, so allow me to translate.....

STP believes that with proper instruction (specifically his.....), superior strategy (does not translate to English), and proper practice, ANYONE can become a tour level player.   Talent and natural ability have no bearing on anyone's ultimate capacity to perform.

Of course, even though he's set that level of play for his own goals, in the past 3 years, he's still struggling to break 80.  But hey, he hasn't said how long it's supposed to take, so I guess there's still hope for us all, even an old, arthritic, guy like me.  I can't wait......I'm comin' after you Freddie, SOON!

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Quote:

You mad Bro?

;)

Upset even?

Dont you understand?

Dont feel bad I can help you with that.

I understand the limited mindset you have and others have, its ok.

You dont want to understand? cool :)

Haha, I got what I wanted. A troll response. To the newer players here, this should be obvious now that soon_tourpro has nothing to offer here except providing us an example of someone who claims to know a lot about golf when in fact he is all smoke and mirrors. And I believe that I'm about the fifth or sixth member now to have called you out, so this is nothing new, I admit.

A non-troll response might have included DanPlan's swing with concrete suggestions over how he can improve. That wouldn't have been too difficult for a good instructor because DanPlan has a lot of swing flaws.

Constantine

That wouldn't have been too difficult for a good instructor because DanPlan has a lot of swing flaws.

I personally am beginning to wonder if he is truly interested in getting better or making the whole thing into a circus. Many of his posts in his blog now are which equipment he is working on and what conference talk he is giving, or interviews or other non-golf nonsense.

Michael

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Why do we have another thread on the Dan Plan?  Isn't one enough?

Pretty sure OP is new enough that he didn't know about that thread and nobody bothered to combine them.  ;)

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Pretty sure OP is new enough that he didn't know about that thread and nobody bothered to combine them.  ;)

Just to chime in here, I did read the other thread. I started this one to get different opinions just on Dans distance (or lack of). Not the born with talent / talent doesnt matter stuff it seems to have turned into.

Originally Posted by mchepp

Quote:

That wouldn't have been too difficult for a good instructor because DanPlan has a lot of swing flaws.

I personally am beginning to wonder if he is truly interested in getting better or making the whole thing into a circus. Many of his posts in his blog now are which equipment he is working on and what conference talk he is giving, or interviews or other non-golf nonsense.

I definitely think he wants to get better, but I guess it's hard to talk about his swing all the time when he doesn't really know what's wrong (I'm not saying that I do, I'm just saying that he doesn't). He doesn't spend a whole lot of time talking about his lessons or specifically the trials and tribulations on working on his teacher's suggested solutions.

I'm mostly surprised that given his enthusiasm and interest in technology that he hasn't found this website or the instructors here. Or at the very least, given his fondness for writing, reading and photography, he hasn't discovered many of the various teaching schools of thought in golf like, say, TGM or S&T; or 5SK, or MORAD, or whatever. I'm not saying he should be jumping at anything specific, I'm just saying it's surprising at this point he has yet to blog about anything like that. Maybe he has seen that stuff and just hasn't told anyone, but if he hasn't, I'm surprised at the lack of intellectual curiosity in this regard based on his own personal Trackman and his constant internet use.

If nothing else however, it seems this proves that Trackman alone in the hands of an amateur doesn't translate into better golf!

I agree though that it's a bit circus with the equipment related postings, interviews, and speaking engagement updates that dominate his website. There are numerous swing threads on this forum that are far more interesting. In fact, I'm surprised that his blog doesn't have a section devoted solely to his instruction and swing videos, like a swing thread here. And I'm obviously not referring to his Video section, which he hasn't updated in while. That part of his site was pretty darn cool. And I loved that video he posted of a nine-hole round he played earlier this winter.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Why do we have another thread on the Dan Plan?  Isn't one enough?

Haha, good point.

Constantine

I definitely think he wants to get better, but I guess it's hard to talk about his swing all the time when he doesn't really know what's wrong (I'm not saying that I do, I'm just saying that he doesn't). He doesn't spend a whole lot of time talking about his lessons or specifically the trials and tribulations on working on his teacher's suggested solutions.  I'm mostly surprised that given his enthusiasm and interest in technology that he hasn't found this website or the instructors here. Or at the very least, given his fondness for writing, reading and photography, he hasn't discovered many of the various teaching schools of thought in golf like, say, TGM or S&T; or 5SK, or MORAD, or whatever. I'm not saying he should be jumping at anything specific, I'm just saying it's surprising at this point he has yet to blog about anything like that. Maybe he has seen that stuff and just hasn't told anyone, but if he hasn't, I'm surprised at the lack of intellectual curiosity in this regard based on his own personal Trackman and his constant internet use.  If nothing else however, it seems this proves that Trackman alone in the hands of an amateur doesn't translate into better golf!  I agree though that it's a bit circus with the equipment related postings, interviews, and speaking engagement updates that dominate his website. There are numerous swing threads on this forum that are far more interesting. In fact, I'm surprised that his blog doesn't have a section devoted solely to his instruction and swing videos, like a swing thread here. And I'm obviously not referring to his Video section, which he hasn't updated in while. That part of his site was pretty darn cool. And I loved that video he posted of a nine-hole round he played earlier this winter.

I know his current coach Adrian knows a good deal of S&T.; He coaches one of my friends and most of what my friend tells me they work on is S&T-like; stuff.

Michael

Note: This thread is 3908 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!