IGNORED

2013 Players at TPC Sawgrass, Tiger and Sergio Feud Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3991 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Sounds like someone asked him a question, but either way it's cool to see him able to speak freely about things.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Remember this guy?  Well now he's making his Players debut at 52

Daley only had two full years on the PGA Tour. He spent 10 full years in the minors, long enough to play under three umbrella sponsors - Nike Tour, Buy.com Tour and Nationwide Tour. When he turned 50, he had to Monday qualify for Champions Tour events. He finally got his big break with a 66-64 weekend in the Senior PGA Championship to tie for fourth, which make him eligible for the Senior Players.
And here he is.

"It's a lot of years of hard work, man," he said. "It's pretty cool."

To put some of that into perspective, the winner of The Players Championship gets $1.71 million. That's nearly as much as Daley's earnings ($1.96 million) in two decades playing the PGA Tour, the Champions Tour and what is now called the Web.com Tour.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by jimmyc

Horschel, tiger and phil in a playoff sunday.

Tiger in the water, Horschel birdies, Phil misses the putt.

Hows that for a prediction. HA!

I like it. I went with Sergio, Donald, Streelman, Horschel. I'm sticking with the two hot golfers. In my pool once you pick a guy you can't use him for the rest of the year. I'm hoping for 4 top 10s one of which is a win.

D:      Titleist 913 D2 (10.5, Stiff, Diamana D+ 62 / Tipped 1/2 inch)

F:      TaylorMade RBZ (15.0, 43 inches & 19.0, 42 inches, Fujikura Rombax Type-X, 75S)

H:      Adams A12 (21 degree, 40 inches, Diamana HY92, Stiff)

I:        Mizuno JPX 800 Pro 5-PW (KBS Tour, X-Flex, Soft Stepped 1x)

GW:   Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 50 (KBS Tour, X-Flex, non-conforming)

SW    Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 56 (bent one degree strong, KBS Tour, Stiff, non-conforming)

LW:    Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 60 (non-conforming, stock shaft)

P1:     Scotty Cameron California Coranado

Originally Posted by RonTheSavage

Sounds like someone asked him a question, but either way it's cool to see him able to speak freely about things.

If you watch the whole interview, they ask him several questions about the red carpet and Ms. Vonn. Almost to the point where it was annoying. I want to hear Tiger talk about golf and the course. I couldn't care less what the man does once he leaves the course.

Originally Posted by Mike Seedleton

Tiger Woods has recently been talking about the Players Championship and can't help mentioning his new girlfriend either

See, that will likely cost him a penalty stroke.

Bill - 

Originally Posted by mvmac

Remember this guy?  Well now he's making his Players debut at 52

I've missed many of short putts in my life.  But that miss is terrible.  The cup looks like it wasn't placed into the ground deep enough?

On a similar note... RSJ in Irvine, they have a practice area... And many of the cups are barely placed into the ground.  And I've seen balls on the putting green regularly bounce out from the bottom of the cup back onto the putting surface.

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

I've missed many of short putts in my life.  But that miss is terrible.  The cup looks like it wasn't placed into the ground deep enough?

On a similar note... RSJ in Irvine, they have a practice area... And many of the cups are barely placed into the ground.  And I've seen balls on the putting green regularly bounce out from the bottom of the cup back onto the putting surface.

thats BS...i would probably count it as holed.  of course, i have no integrity...

Colin P.

Brandel Chamblee thinks the 17th hole is helping prevent The Players Championship from becoming the fifth major in professional golf.

The hole, as golf fans know, is the 132-yard par-3 No. 17 at TPC Sawgrass in Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla., the site of The Players Championship, which is to be played this week and carried on the Golf Channel and NBC. It is the signature hole of the course.

During a conference call with reporters on Tuesday, Chamblee explained why he doesn't like it.

"I think it comes too late in the round," Chamblee said. "I think it has the potential to play too much of a role for the quality of the hole. It's 130 yards and . . . sometimes it's an absolute nothing short iron when the wind is not blowing.But when the wind is blowing, there is too much luck involved in the shot and too much of the penalty for a miss.

"I really do think this tournament should be a major," Chamblee said. "I absolutely think this tournament should be a major. I think one of the things that keeps it from really getting its due is the 17th hole. If you look at the way Augusta National or the Masters become a major, it grew into a major organically. There was a reverence there, an awe there, and over a period of time, people looked at it and went, this is a major. You can't deny the quality of the people and the quality of this golf course.

"But there's a contrived part of that 17th hole that makes it great TV, that makes it great drama, that I think just makes the feel of the golf course quirky," Chamblee said. "The rest of the golf course is fabulous. But . . . I love watching it as an analyst."

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Not sure that it should be a major, but the 17th hole is not unfair. It's only 130 yards, and they all play it. If they can't deal with the wind them that's their fault.

Colin P.

Brandel Chamblee thinks the 17th hole is helping prevent The Players Championship from becoming the fifth major in professional golf.

The hole, as golf fans know, is the 132-yard par-3 No. 17 at TPC Sawgrass in Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla., the site of The Players Championship, which is to be played this week and carried on the Golf Channel and NBC. It is the signature hole of the course.

During a conference call with reporters on Tuesday, Chamblee explained why he doesn't like it.

"I think it comes too late in the round," Chamblee said. "I think it has the potential to play too much of a role for the quality of the hole. It's 130 yards and . . . sometimes it's an absolute nothing short iron when the wind is not blowing.But when the wind is blowing, there is too much luck involved in the shot and too much of the penalty for a miss.

"I really do think this tournament should be a major," Chamblee said. "I absolutely think this tournament should be a major. I think one of the things that keeps it from really getting its due is the 17th hole. If you look at the way Augusta National or the Masters become a major, it grew into a major organically. There was a reverence there, an awe there, and over a period of time, people looked at it and went, this is a major. You can't deny the quality of the people and the quality of this golf course.

"But there's a contrived part of that 17th hole that makes it great TV, that makes it great drama, that I think just makes the feel of the golf course quirky," Chamblee said. "The rest of the golf course is fabulous. But . . . I love watching it as an analyst."

As soon as I see that your posts starts with "Brandel Chamblee thinks ... " I start salivating and wondering what idiotic thing he said this time.  However, I don't think these comments are terribly radical or anything.

1. There is more luck involved than your average 17th hole when the wind is blowing . - That's true

2. This course/tournament has to quality to become a major someday but it has to happen organically . - Also seems true to me.

3. The 17th hole is great for fans, and great to watch on TV, however is a bit contrived and gimicky. - OK.  It's a Pete Dye course, that's not out of the norm there.

Whether or not the 17th hole plays much of a part in this tournament ever organically turning into a major is a hard conclusion to justify ... however, I don't think that these comments are at all ridiculous.  (Just wanted to get this out there before people start going nuts on him ;))

• Upvote 2

I don't think it'll ever be officially recognized as a Major, but in my mind, its the unofficial 5th. Very competitive and deep field, tough course, and the winner rightly earns it. As for Chamblee's comments about 17 being largely based on wind and luck, is that any different than 12 at Augusta? How many times this year did we see the first guy go long and the second guy come up short all because of the swirling winds?

I like the way Phill is playing right now. No brainer. Lots of talk about Matt Kuchar which is just a lot of talk. Love the drama on the island. Been some big numbers on that par 3

THIS is why I loathe Brandon Chamblee, nonsensical BS like this... As if he is issuing an edict on TPC Sawgrass....  Really Brandel, Really?

Brandon Chamblee = Nancy Pelosi = Lord Vordemort = He Who Shall Not Be Named

"Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.."

I'm pulling for ol' Snedeker.  Tennessee boy is playing well but let it slip away at the Masters.  I think he'll be looking for redemption here and get a big win.

In the blue and tan grom Bag:

Driver r7 460 10.5*
Fairway Woods '07 Burner 15* and 18*
Irons 4-PW r7 XDWedges 47*, 52*, 58* CG14,Putter TiffanyBall One Tour D

Brandel Chamblee thinks the 17th hole is helping prevent The Players Championship from becoming the fifth major in professional golf. The hole, as golf fans know, is the 132-yard par-3 No. 17 at TPC Sawgrass in Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla., the site of The Players Championship, which is to be played this week and carried on the Golf Channel and NBC. It is the signature hole of the course. During a conference call with reporters on Tuesday, Chamblee explained why he doesn't like it. "I think it comes too late in the round," Chamblee said. "I think it has the potential to play too much of a role for the quality of the hole. It's 130 yards and . . . sometimes it's an absolute nothing short iron when the wind is not blowing.But when the wind is blowing, there is too much luck involved in the shot and too much of the penalty for a miss. "I really do think this tournament should be a major," Chamblee said. "I absolutely think this tournament should be a major. I think one of the things that keeps it from really getting its due is the 17th hole. If you look at the way Augusta National or the Masters become a major, it grew into a major organically. There was a reverence there, an awe there, and over a period of time, people looked at it and went, this is a major. You can't deny the quality of the people and the quality of this golf course. "But there's a contrived part of that 17th hole that makes it great TV, that makes it great drama, that I think just makes the feel of the golf course quirky," Chamblee said. "The rest of the golf course is fabulous. But . . . I love watching it as an analyst."

Chamblee's an idiot. Can't say I'm actually rooting for any one golfer, I just love the event. Set the DVR this morning so I can watch it all when I get home.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Note: This thread is 3991 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!