IGNORED

Sergio Garcia states racial remark towards Tiger Woods

tmac20
Note: This thread is 3890 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Has Sergio Garcia officially taken this too far?

• Yes. He shouldn't have said that.
    • No. That remark wasn't racist.

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

Sergio should do a commercial for KFC's Boneless Chicken.

Perfect for Chokers....

(attributed to someone more droll than I)

Well played kind sir, well played.  *Polite Golf Applause*

"Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.."

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

For all the posters claiming that the comment isn't racist (which blows me away by the by) lets try a little experiment. Head down to a predominantly black neighborhood and toss around some fried chicken and watermelon comments and report back. Bring a camera, some video will likely clear this up.

Ernie,

I have been called worse. Serge's comments doesn't set off my Blackdar (Ask me about it sometime living in the South), but does set off my Hater Alarm.

I found it funny because my Dad always told me, " When they start calling you out your name, you have already won the fight without firing a shot or landing a single blow ".

Again, Sergie needs to stay on the porch (or the bottom of TPC@Sawgrass' 17th) with the little dogs, while the Big Dogs run the yard.

Very, very simple. I view Sergie as a ignorant bumpkin who can swing a club now and then.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by newtogolf

You can't make a determination on whether Sergio is a racist by one stupid comment.  The statement was ignorant, it exploited a stereotype often used by racists but that in itself does not make Sergio a racist.

If the guy had a history of making racial comments and perpetuating racial stereotypes I'd agree but to my knowledge he hasn't.  He was hanging out, celebrating the Ryder Cup win with a bunch of his buddies, when someone acted as his straight man and set him up to take a cheap shot at Tiger and he blurted something ignorant out.   We've all said stupid things we've regretted the moment the words left our lips.

I wasn't a fan of Sergio after all his whining about Tiger at the Players but to ruin his career and ability to earn an income by labeling him a racist based on this one comment is a complete over reaction in my opinion.

I 100% agree with your entire post. Im not gonna crucify the guy for one racial comment. Again that one comment does not make him RACIST, it just makes him a F_____G Idiot. Everyone here is entitled to their own opinion but what makes me cringe is when people tell me how I should feel when it comes to the subject of race. I've experienced full on all out racism first hand.

• Upvote 1

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Originally Posted by tstrike34

Ernie,

I have been called worse. Serge's comments doesn't set off my Blackdar (Ask me about it sometime living in the South), but does set off my Hater Alarm.

I found it funny because my Dad always told me, "When they start calling you out your name, you have already won the fight without firing a shot or landing a single blow".

Again, Sergie needs to stay on the porch (or the bottom of TPC@Sawgrass' 17th) with the little dogs, while the Big Dogs run the yard.

Very, very simple. I view Sergie as a ignorant bumpkin who can swing a club now and then.

Fantastic Post

Too bad I've given out too many skins already today, because this post deserves one.

Fantastic Post :dance: Too bad I've given out too many skins already today, because this post deserves one.

I "lent" you a skin and did it for you. ;-) I didn't even know there was a limit on the skins you can give per day????

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I assume you are not replying to me as I have gone on record earlier in the thread with similar points.

You assumed correctly, I would have quoted your post if I was responding to you directly.

Joe Paradiso

I "lent" you a skin and did it for you.

I didn't even know there was a limit on the skins you can give per day????

Thank you sir! LOL

This whole thread is really crap if your putting the screws to Garcia. I mean if you have ever called someone fat or short or a dumbass, your just as racist as the next person is. Some of my best friends in the world are black and I love'em, but we still sit around and joke on one another every now and then whether it's considered racist or not.

I have respect for all the players. The media puts a lot of pressure on these guys and yes, sooner or later somebody is going to say something that someone else doesn't like. The man gave his apology and that really should be the end of it. Everybody is making a mountain out mole hill. Just my 2 cents.

Driver      -  K15 10.5 w/ Ping TFC149D Shaft in stiff

4 Wood   -  Rapture V2 17.5* Aldila S-75

Hybrid    -   Super Hybrid SS 19* w/ Matrix Program

Irons      -   i20's 3-W, UW, SW & LW w/ KBS Tour Stiff +1/2" White Dot

Putter    -   White Ice #9 33"

Ball       -   B330-S & B330-RXS

D2 Feel

Bragging about a 200 yard 7 iron is not golf.

Originally Posted by Na5carr3

This whole thread is really crap if your putting the screws to Garcia. I mean if you have ever called someone fat or short or a dumbass, your just as racist as the next person is. Some of my best friends in the world are black and I love'em, but we still sit around and joke on one another every now and then whether it's considered racist or not.

I have respect for all the players. The media puts a lot of pressure on these guys and yes, sooner or later somebody is going to say something that someone else doesn't like. The man gave his apology and that really should be the end of it. Everybody is making a mountain out mole hill. Just my 2 cents.

uhh, how is that a race thing????  I always thought that in order for something to be racist, you must slur someones race?

The chief of the Euro tour says today that Sergio has "many colored friends".......really...colored?

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Originally Posted by Na5carr3

I mean if you have ever called someone fat or short or a dumbass, your just as racist as the next person is.

I didn't realize that fat people were their own race. Ditto that for short people and dumbass people.

The bottom line is really this... Was Sergio's comment racist? Yeah, of course it was. Is he a racist? I don't know, maybe. If he is though, it isn't because he made this one comment. It was a stupid thing to say, no doubt, but in my opinion it was a bad joke gone horribly wrong.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

I didn't realize that fat people were their own race.

Yep, they're called Americans. LOL. OK, OK. I gotta lay low for a while. :-D

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

For all the posters claiming that the comment isn't racist (which blows me away by the by) lets try a little experiment. Head down to a predominantly black neighborhood and toss around some fried chicken and watermelon comments and report back. Bring a camera, some video will likely clear this up.

It's still not racist. How those people in the predominantly black community perceive it still doesn't make it racist. It's a stereotype. If I ask a latino man if he wants a taco when he's at the restaurant it's crude, judgemental and STEREOTYPICAL. Not racist. I'll reiterate again, his remark was rude and not acceptable, but still isn't defined as racist.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Originally Posted by RonTheSavage

Fantastic Post

Too bad I've given out too many skins already today, because this post deserves one.

Thank you kindly sir.

You know what my fantasy would be?

Sergio and Tiger paired up in the 2nd Round of the US Open, then Tiger unleashing a hellfire round of golf... Talking to Sergio after every shot (or even glaring) like what Michael Jordan used to do to opposing teams whose players talked crap about him in the press the day before the game.

*Remember Jordan used that for fuel to score 40 against your team and humiliate that team's best defender (except Olajuwon and Joe Dumars) *

Originally Posted by Paradox

The chief of the Euro tour says today that Sergio has "many colored friends".......really...colored?

Doubtful what with him being British - he said something like this: -

The chief of the Euro tour says today that Sergio has "many coloured friends".......really...coloured?

Originally Posted by tstrike34

Sergio and Tiger paired up in the 2nd Round of the US Open, then Tiger unleashing a hellfire round of golf... Talking to Sergio after every shot (or even glaring) like what Michael Jordan used to do to opposing teams whose players talked crap about him in the press the day before the game.

I much prefer the "let the play do the talking" approach.  I think that Tiger having a great round of golf, and never once ackowledging Sergio is even there (except to make damn sure he waits his turn to pull his clubs so Sergio has nothing to complain about) is the way "cooler" response.

In football, instead of knocking the guys head off, then dancing around and showboating, I perfer knocking the guys head off, helping him back up, and running back to the huddle to get ready to knock his head off again.

In baseball, instead of charging the mound when the guy throws a brushback, or glaring at all, just hit a home run (yes, its way easier to write than it is to actually do ;)) jog the bases, and sit down without a glance at the guy.

(Of course, that's not my fantasy ... that would just be my preference for how yours would play out. ;))  Mine would be - besides 2 chicks at the same time, of course** - that everybody puts all of this silliness behind them and plays good golf.  Perhaps Tiger and Sergio playing together Sunday afternoon and it being all about the shots, and nothing petty. :)

** Not serious ... just quoting Office Space ;)

Yep, they're called Americans. LOL.

OK, OK.

I gotta lay low for a while.

That's because we keep eating Canadian delicacies like Poutine!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 3890 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!