IGNORED

Sergio Garcia states racial remark towards Tiger Woods

tmac20
Note: This thread is 3861 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Has Sergio Garcia officially taken this too far?

• Yes. He shouldn't have said that.
    • No. That remark wasn't racist.

Originally Posted by Stretch

Maybe Sergio can call Rocco and get Tiger's number. Oh wait, he doesn't have it either. Hey Stricks, you got his number?

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Originally Posted by luu5

Next time I have Swedish friends visiting I will not serve meatballs to them...

Is calling Bubba a redneck racism?

No.  But my experience with schoolyard joking (or playing the 'dozens', in some circles) lends credence to the following theory:  Those with thin skin will joke about the following more often than not, because they know no better:  1) parents (especially deceased parents)  2) girlfriend/wife 3) stereotypes.  Sergio, one who is known to have not only rabbit ears, but thin skin, fits this mold to a T, much more so than him being out and out raycess (spelled like this on purpose).

I like fried chicken, collard greens, and watermelon. Unfortunately I cannot invite a person of color over to my digs because they'd be offended by the menu.

If I wanted to insult Tiger, I'd offer to meet him for sushi and rice.

Carry Bag, experimental mix-- 9* Integra 320, TT X100 Gold shaft
MacGregor Tourney 2-iron circa 1979

High grass club: #5 Ginty
Irons: 3,4,8,9 Cleveland 588P RTG Proforce 95 Gold shafts
Hogan fifty-three Hogan 5612

Ping Kushin

Originally Posted by Incite

Uh yeah, Sergio and Tiger were in an argument which is why the question was asked in the first place. One can argue with a black guy without being racist.

Also, everyone has a filter, or do you just say whatever comes out of your mouth without thinking about it first? People are a product of their environment - some people are born in a racist environment (speaking generally here, not necessarily about Sergio) and subconsciously have racist thoughts that they cannot control. Filtering those out is expected and even admirable.

People have been put to death all over the world because of racism. It does a disservice to the memory of true racial atrocities when we blow up at the very slightest infringement dealing with fried chicken of all things. Where's the sense of context? The anchors on golf channel right now make me sick with their talk of "this is the most important 15 minutes of Sergio's life". No it's not. Shut up.

Of course you can argue with a black man without being racist.  That's what happened.  They argued over whether Tiger should have pulled a club or whatever.  Then Sergio made a joke based on a racial stereotype, intended, as you said, as a "jab" at Tiger.  That's a racist comment.

I don't need a filter to not say racist things because, for example, when someone asks me about having a person over for dinner who happens to be black, the color of their skin wouldn't enter my mind.  Clearly, when Sergio thinks about Tiger, or wants to make a joke about Tiger, "black" is one of the things that come to mind quickly.

And Sergio obviously thinks this is pretty important to his career.  His sponsors called and he's suddenly announcing to the world that he called Tiger's agent to apologize.

Originally Posted by jetsknicks1

I wouldn't exactly hold Wikipedia up as the bastion of true information.

At the end of Wikipedia's definition, it cited three sources.  Did you look at those?

Originally Posted by Stretch

He sounds terrified of losing his sponsors.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Ole_Tom_Morris

I like fried chicken, collard greens, and watermelon. Unfortunately I cannot invite a person of color over to my digs because they'd be offended by the menu.

Sure you could.  But if you were in an argument with a black person, and sarcastically said that you would invite him over and serve him those things, then that would be inappropriate.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

What bugs me is that Tiger is no more black then he is oriental.   Obama is no more black than white.  But they are considered -- and consider themselves -- black.

Culturally black, I can see that.   But we all tend to see "blackness" as a stain, like putting ink in the washing machine.  Any black ancestry makes you all black.  The illogic of the miscegnation laws carried over into modern society:  a person who was 1/8 black could marry a black person but not a white person.  There was supposed to be some rationality in that?

My point, I think, is that in our everyday attitudes we carry Jim Crow with us still, whether we are white or black.

Carry Bag, experimental mix-- 9* Integra 320, TT X100 Gold shaft
MacGregor Tourney 2-iron circa 1979

High grass club: #5 Ginty
Irons: 3,4,8,9 Cleveland 588P RTG Proforce 95 Gold shafts
Hogan fifty-three Hogan 5612

Ping Kushin

As I stated, I don't think Sergio is a racist but his comment was ignorant and insensitive.  For all of you looking to make excuses for him consider the following;

1. He's openly admitted to not liking Tiger so any comments / jokes he makes about him are not "good natured".
  2. His "joke" centered around a common stereotype used by racists, it would have been no different (other than the offended race) if instead of "fried chicken" he used "chow mein".
  3. He claimed to have no knowledge of the comment Fuzzy made, which makes it even worse.  When it was first reported I assumed he was just piling on what Fuzzy said years ago and almost considered it witty.
  4. If Tiger had made a joke referencing a Hispanic stereotype, he would have been slaughtered in the press.
  5. This has all come about because Sergio has yet to accept responsibility for his crappy shot and instead continues to wrongly claim that Tiger caused the crowd to cheer while Sergio was in the middle of his shot.

Sergio needs to just keep quiet and not talk to the press for a while since he's already convinced us he's a whiner and ignorant.

Joe Paradiso

Serge needs to shut the up and just play golf.

Oh, and keep Tiger's name out of his mouth. As a Black man, I viewed his comments not racist but utterly ignorant, jealously-driven, and insensitive.

Do your talking at the Winner's Circle, not at the bottom of the 17th at TPC Sawgrass.

• Upvote 1

"Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.."

What bugs me is that Tiger is no more black then he is oriental.   Obama is no more black than white.  But they are considered -- and consider themselves -- black.

Culturally black, I can see that.   But we all tend to see "blackness" as a stain, like putting ink in the washing machine.  Any black ancestry makes you all black.  The illogic of the miscegnation laws carried over into modern society:  a person who was 1/8 black could marry a black person but not a white person.  There was supposed to be some rationality in that?

My point, I think, is that in our everyday attitudes we carry Jim Crow with us still, whether we are white or black.

Oriental?????  Wow.  And you're likely too ignorant to even know better.  It's a shame.

Rugs can be oriental.  Decor can be oriental.  People are Asian.

• Upvote 1

nike.gif  VR-S Covert 10.5*

nike.gif  SQ2 15*

Idea Black Hybrid, 19*

mizuno.gif  MP54, 4-PW

vokey.gif SM 50*, 54*, 58*

nike.gif  Method 001

nike.gif  RZN One

I had to google miscegnation laws and Jim Crow !! That doesn't make me ignorant, that makes me Canadian .

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Culturally black, I can see that. But we all tend to see "blackness" as a stain, like putting ink in the washing machine. Any black ancestry makes you all black.  The illogic of the miscegnation laws carried over into modern society:  a person who was 1/8 black could marry a black person but not a white person.  There was supposed to be some rationality in that?

Please, speak for yourself. There's no "we" here.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Oriental?????  Wow.  And you're likely too ignorant to even know better.  It's a shame.  Rugs can be oriental.  Decor can be oriental.  People are Asian.

Really, the hyper-sensitivity and constant "I'm offended" is really making the world a tedious and boring place. If someone's a dick, call them a dick.

Originally Posted by RonTheSavage

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryTimes

I guess I look at what being racist is differently.  To me, a racist comment would be something that was negative based on that persons race.  To me, while the comment is stupid, it's just stating a stereotype.  Tiger is also Asian, if he said he'd serve some sesame chicken, would you still think it's racist?  People need to relax.

Absolutely.

To me this qualifies as a racist comment. I dont know Sergio Garcia personally so I have no idea if he's a racist or not. It takes way more than this for me to paint someone as a racist. But his comment was racist. I have a right to feel this way and please sir do not tell me I need to relax.

+1.  The 'sesame chicken' comment is absolutely racist.  It's basically the same thing Sergio said just aimed at a different ethnicity.

Lastly, people need to understand how it comes across when they try to tell someone else how they SHOULD feel about any issue, but specifially when it comes to issues involving race.

My father was forced to go to an all-black school.  I wouldn't dare tell him how he should feel about racism in this country.

• Upvote 1

nike.gif  SQ2 15*

Idea Black Hybrid, 19*

mizuno.gif  MP54, 4-PW

nike.gif  Method 001

nike.gif  RZN One

Originally Posted by jamo

Please, speak for yourself. There's no "we" here.

Oh weally?

Actually we are often we here, that's what I like about this forum. We are clearly not all we here in this thread though.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Oh weally? Actually we are often we here, that's what I like about this forum. We are clearly not all we here in this thread though.

;-) I meant the stain remark. I'd hope we are all here. Otherwise who the hell have I been responding to with my 6000-some odd posts?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by jamo

I meant the stain remark.

I'd hope we are all here. Otherwise who the hell have I been responding to with my 6000-some odd posts?

I gotcha.

Just felt the need to make a jackass comment (as is my wont) and this seemed to be the right place so...bombs away

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Originally Posted by SoundandFury

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClayHbg

Oriental?????  Wow.  And you're likely too ignorant to even know better.  It's a shame.

Rugs can be oriental.  Decor can be oriental.  People are Asian.

Really, the hyper-sensitivity and constant "I'm offended" is really making the world a tedious and boring place. If someone's a dick, call them a dick.

You can keep on advocating for more acceptance of racist, homophobic, and steretypical rhetoric.  I'll keep advocating for ALL OF US to be more culturally competent.  Cool?

• Upvote 2

nike.gif  SQ2 15*

Idea Black Hybrid, 19*

mizuno.gif  MP54, 4-PW

nike.gif  Method 001

nike.gif  RZN One

Originally Posted by ClayHbg

You can keep on advocating for more acceptance of racist, homophobic, and steretypical rhetoric.  I'll keep advocating for ALL OF US to be more culturally competent.  Cool?

Culturally competent, I love it!

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Note: This thread is 3861 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!