IGNORED

The Virtue of Being a Stupid Monkey (and How it can Help Your Golf Game)

iacas
Note: This thread is 1329 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have been literally working on one priority piece with Stephan since January.  This is the only thing I have been practicing.  I finally have made enough progress for him to add a piece.  I don't even feel that I could be considered a Stupid Monkey because monkeys are higher order primates.  I feel more like a Stupid duck billed platypus.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So tempted to get Stupid Monkey bag tags to hand out as a prize when we award the badge on-site. TST logo on one side, "Stupid Monkey" stuff on the other.

Not sure who would make them, but if they weren't too expensive, I think @mvmac and I would definitely consider it.

That's awesome! That would make one heck of a conversation piece. =)

- Shane

• Administrator
I have been literally working on one priority piece with Stephan since January.  This is the only thing I have been practicing.  I finally have made enough progress for him to add a piece.  I don't even feel that I could be considered a Stupid Monkey because monkeys are higher order primates.  I feel more like a Stupid duck billed platypus.

Don't underestimate the platypus! They're poisonous.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Don't underestimate the platypus! They're poisonous.

Totally! We put 'em on our nickels.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Your priority piece should be to try and feel more monkey and less platypus. Either way it's a banana slice or a duck-billed hook.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

• Administrator
"we treat students like stupid monkeys."

Good lord man...

Let me help you...try this

"We simplify our instruction for students and reduce complexity to help them"

Thanks, but I've gotta ask: did you read the entire post, or just copy something out of context? You didn't even get the :-D smiley or the rest of the sentence before it (which talks about our online instruction).

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

"we treat students like stupid monkeys."

Good lord man...

Let me help you...try this

"We simplify our instruction for students and reduce complexity to help them"

golfbarefoot, I have to admit when I first joined the site it probably took me a good 2-3 months before I even thought about reading the thread on how being a stupid monkey can actually help your golf game.  I used to think to my self this is probably just some running joke on the site, and I don't really want to waste my time.

However, I remember when I finally said to my self let me read what this is all about it made total sense to me.  It isn't really about treating the students like stupid monkeys.. On the contrary, I have been a student with one of the instructors for over 5 months, and things are just as you mentioned.. simplified and specific to my swing and tendencies.

Stupid Monkey is just a state where as a student you just do what you are instructed to do exactly how you are told to do it for the period you are told to do it.  No one says don't know what it is you are doing and why, but usually when you start thinking mechanically about things it will just take longer for you to learn and change how your swing looks.

I can' really explain it better than that, but if you just give the thread a chance and go through the first post I think you might change your mind!

Cheers!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Read it. I think you know my comment had nothing to do with the content of that post in regards to the underlying message. Just trying to help someone choose their words in a more friendly, and less condescending way. It's simple really. Even if you 'think' people are 'stupid monkeys' and even if you do treat them like they are 'stupid monkeys'... an intelligent mind can articulate their thoughts with compassion, right? That's all. It's easy.. or maybe not..

Read it. I think you know my comment had nothing to do with the content of that post in regards to the underlying message. Just trying to help someone choose their words in a more friendly, and less condescending way. It's simple really. Even if you 'think' people are 'stupid monkeys' and even if you do treat them like they are 'stupid monkeys'... an intelligent mind can articulate their thoughts with compassion, right? That's all. It's easy.. or maybe not..

I think your missing the point entirely. "Stupid Monkey" is actually a badge of honour around here because it means that you're capable of focusing on your priority piece and are able to resist the temptation to try a million McTips that are just going to retard your progress. It's about being able to follow instruction and not overthink things. I'm proud to be considered a stupid monkey and it took a lot of dedication and discipline to get there. I'll take tough love over hand holding ego stroking any day. I'll also add that you'd be hard pressed to find a more "compassionate" instructor than Erik (Iacas), we're talking about a guy that helps golfers with world class instruction for free every day and week, year in and year out. You're seriously misreading the situation here and would be doing yourself a huge disservice to disregard what is happening here on this site.

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

[quote name="Ernest Jones" url="/t/67401/the-virtue-of-being-a-stupid-monkey-and-how-it-can-help-your-golf-game/90_30#post_1005661"] I think your missing the point entirely.[/quote] Ditto. If you take it as insulting, that's on you.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Yep. I'm a stupid monkey and proud of it.

I'm actually trying to get stupid-er.

:smartass:

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Yep. I'm a stupid monkey and proud of it. ;-)

I'm still just a monkey :-(

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I'm still just a monkey :-(

Just be "dumb" and do what you're told. The hardest part is ignoring all the faults that jump out at you when looking at your vids. If your coach hadn't said anything about them, it means they're good enough. Could they be better? Yes, but they're not a priority yet so ignore them. That is the hardest part. Most of us who hang out here a lot are way over-educated on swing mechanics and that can become a real problem because as good as we are at spotting flaws, we generally suck at identifying the priority piece that will have the most impact. A good priority piece will fix a lot of faults at the same time. A bad priority piece (also known as a guess) will just suck you into a viscous cycle of chasing your tail forever.

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Just be "dumb" and do what you're told. The hardest part is ignoring all the faults that jump out at you when looking at your vids. If your coach hadn't said anything about them, it means they're good enough. Could they be better? Yes, but they're not a priority yet so ignore them. That is the hardest part. Most of us who hang out here a lot are way over-educated on swing mechanics and that can become a real problem because as good as we are at spotting flaws, we generally suck at identifying the priority piece that will have the most impact. A good priority piece will fix a lot of faults at the same time. A bad priority piece (also known as a guess) will just suck you into a viscous cycle of chasing your tail forever.

Yea, I hear you. Maybe this time, I'll listen, too :smartass:

Not sure if it's any consolation to anybody, but I do it at home, too. I'll spend hours working on a problem, only to go back and do the thing my wife told me to in the first place. :8)

• Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

Ditto. If you take it as insulting, that's on you.

Not really. I mean, the point is to be understood, not misunderstood and insulted.

But… and I say this with all due respect… I don't think most people (a high percentage) would read that post and feel that it was insulting. I think the tone and explanation of what a "stupid monkey" is makes it sound just as many have described: a badge of honor. A good thing. A positive.

You're the only person who seems to have taken it badly (not you @jamo of course, but @golfbarefoot ).

Read it. I think you know my comment had nothing to do with the content of that post in regards to the underlying message.

Just trying to help someone choose their words in a more friendly, and less condescending way. It's simple really. Even if you 'think' people are 'stupid monkeys' and even if you do treat them like they are 'stupid monkeys'... an intelligent mind can articulate their thoughts with compassion, right? That's all.

It's easy.. or maybe not..

Yeah, you still don't seem to have really read the OP.

Being a stupid monkey is a good thing (if you want to get better at golf). Too many people try to understand and know and think too much, and that's not the way to improve at golf. Find a great instructor, then "KISS". Or, per this thread, "KISSM" - Keep it simple, stupid monkey.

Being a "stupid monkey" is a good thing. The tone in the OP clearly conveys that, I feel.

You disagree, and you're entitled to, but you seem to be in a small minority.

Note: This thread is 1329 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!