IGNORED

Cleaning irons after every shot.

Motley01
Note: This thread is 3990 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Motley01

Yikes! You better keep those AP2s of yours in good condition. 3 hours or less? You must be a club member. No public course in this country where you can play that fast.

David forged metal doesn't need a spit shine after every shot IMO but yeah i play a private club and a semi private club and both i can get rounds in less than 3 hours quite easily. I just tend to shy away from playing saturdays because they are really busy, i use that as a range day.i will clean them after every round though.

Bag:  ping.gif Hoofer

Driver: titleist.gif 910D2 9.5* Ahina 72

Irons: titleist.gif AP2 712

Hybrid: adams.gif Idea A12 19*

Wedges: cleveland.gif 58* vokey.gif 52*

Putter:  odyssey.gif DFX 2 Ball Blade

Wet towel and a brush on the bag = clean clubs after every shot. I don't want to start cleaning it before hitting a shot and I definitely don't want to hit with a dirty club.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I clean before a shot. If i made my club selection i clean the face and go to my routine, ( Grip it and rip it ) haha

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

On the course: Every shot.

On the range: Every 3rd shot at most.  Often each shot though.

Oh, but ditch the iron covers.  Bag chatter make 'em look cool.  Used to love the look of my 681s all banged up from carrying them around.

Just saying...wouldn't it be more important to clean your irons before every shot? What good is it to clean it after it's done its work?

Originally Posted by zipazoid

Just saying...wouldn't it be more important to clean your irons before every shot?

After the last shot is before the next shot.....no?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Just saying...wouldn't it be more important to clean your irons before every shot? What good is it to clean it after it's done its work?

Did you read your post before you submit it? :-P

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

[quote name="David in FL" url="/t/67426/cleaning-irons-after-every-shot/0_100#post_850696"] After the last shot is before the next shot.....no?  :-) [/quote] [quote name="Zeph" url="/t/67426/cleaning-irons-after-every-shot/0_100#post_850699"] Did you read your post before you submit it? :-P[/quote] Lol. I love this place. :-D

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Originally Posted by Zeph

Did you read your post before you submit it?

Sorry, I was busy inflating my tires after I drove on a flat for 10 miles instead of inflating them before I got in the car.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by David in FL

Quote:

Originally Posted by zipazoid

Just saying...wouldn't it be more important to clean your irons before every shot?

After the last shot is before the next shot.....no?

I don't want to give the crud time to dry and get set up in the grooves.

There is usually plenty of time for a quick brush and wipe as I put the club  away.  If I'm the last to hit in the group, then I wait to put the club away until I've driven to the next spot.  It never slows anything down.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

After every shot(it only take a second or two).  You need the groves for the spin.  Plus it lets you see exactly where the ball hit the club face.

Driver: :tmade: R11S (9 degree)
Woods: :tmade: R11 3 (15.5 degree) & 5 (19 degree)
Irons: :tmade: R11 4-AW
Wedges: :tmade: ATV 54 & 60 degree
Putter: :scotty_cameron: 2012 Newport 2
Ball: :titleist: ProV1
Rangefinder: :bushnell: Tour V2

I carry a wet towel and brush when I play.  I clean the irons when the grooves have debris in them.  Since I am a "picker" this isn't usually every shot.

Butch

I inspect after the shot and wipe or brush if needed.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

A big reason I prefer to ride is the ball washer/club cleaner on the cart. I use that and I carry a wet towel. My clubs are old and worthless but I don't like pulling a club and seeing dirt and grass jammed into the grooves. Has a way of making me think about it when I shouldn't be.

Dave :-)

If I'm playing a round of golf, I clean it off so the grooves are clear.  If I play a tournament round, I make sure the whole clubface looks good, I don't know how much it helps but mentally, it makes me feel like I'm ready to hit a ball without any distraction or obstruction.

When I'm practicing on the driving range, I clean the club but I leave the debris in the grooves BECAUSE I practice a lot and I don't want to wear out my grooves from hitting range balls when I don't care about spin.  I also don't have money to buy brand new sets every year so I need these babies to last!

Will dirt and stuff in the grooves keep them sharp longer?

Originally Posted by grubby98

You need the groves for the spin.

I thought tests have shown that a non-grooved club will spin the ball just as much as a grooved one, and that the grooves were only necessary to channel grass/water/etc away on shots in the wet or from the rough... I could be wrong...

Bill

Note: This thread is 3990 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!