• Announcements

• iacas

GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Contest   09/22/2016

Join our GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Challenge to win an autographed GAME GOLF, a Pebble Steel watch, and many more great prizes!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Slicer219

Don't pull the pin!!!

37 posts in this topic

Yesterday, I was chipping onto the green for birdie from about 20 feet out.  It was a nice little downhill run and I read it beautifully, I watched the ball land on the green and break just at the right time and head for the hole.  What I didn't notice was the gentleman I was playing with take a couple steps over and remove the pin until it was too late to stop him.  The ball was a touch too fast, popped over the hole and proceeded to travel on down the hill.  I'm not saying I would have holed it, although I think it was very possible, but at worst it would have been stopped by the flag and I could have put it in for par as opposed to the bogey I carded.  My first reaction was to wrap my pitching wedge around his neck... just wondering if anyone else had something like this happen to them and how they would have reacted.

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

I think it's up to you to say "Leave it in" before your shot.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

His name wouldn't be jga226 by any chance, would it? ... http://thesandtrap.com/t/68310/attending-the-flagstick/0_30

The closest thing I've had to that is a nice chip that was going dead straight without too much speed where I chose to leave the pin in.  I didn't pay much attention to it prior, but had I looked I would have noticed that the pin wasn't sitting straight, but was leaning towards me ... the only reason why I didn't fall.  Whoops, my bad.

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

I usually agree with you Desmond, but not here.

If I want it pulled I'll say so... and if somebody else is chipping/putting from off the green I won't pull it unless asked to do so.

I actually looked it up after I got home last night and I believe (if i'm interpreting it right) that should fall under rule 17-2 Unauthorized Attendance, and he should have incurred a penalty.  As it was, it was just a friendly match so I didn't make that big of a deal out of it, just irritated the heck out of me.  No, it wasn't jga226... Lol

Best not to interfere with someones shot unless they ask. If I'm not asked to pull it for a shot off the green I assume that means leave it in. Besides who has time to do the mind reading thing. I'm concerned with my shots and score not the person I am playing with.

Originally Posted by tristanhilton85

If I want it pulled I'll say so... and if somebody else is chipping/putting from off the green I won't pull it unless asked to do so.

Agreed.  If a playing partner is chipping/pitching/putting from off the green and hasn't said anything to anybody else prior to the shot, it's a pretty safe bet (as in 100%) that he is ok with the status quo.

The next time somebody hits a shot without saying anything, then after his shot hits the pin and bounces away, says (in all seriousness) something like "Why didn't one of you guys pull the pin for me?!?!" will be the first time.

The most pro-active I will ever be in a situation like that is to ask him if he wants it pulled when he's putting from 6" on the fringe, but still, only prior to him setting up for his shot.  Even in that situation - where he's putting and his ball is just barely on the fringe - if he didn't say anything, it's a safe assumption he wants the pin left alone ... so leave it alone.

Originally Posted by Slicer219

Yesterday, I was chipping onto the green for birdie from about 20 feet out.  It was a nice little downhill run and I read it beautifully, I watched the ball land on the green and break just at the right time and head for the hole.  What I didn't notice was the gentleman I was playing with take a couple steps over and remove the pin until it was too late to stop him.  The ball was a touch too fast, popped over the hole and proceeded to travel on down the hill.  I'm not saying I would have holed it, although I think it was very possible, but at worst it would have been stopped by the flag and I could have put it in for par as opposed to the bogey I carded.  My first reaction was to wrap my pitching wedge around his neck... just wondering if anyone else had something like this happen to them and how they would have reacted.

Sounds like some gamesmanship to me.  I'd use the art of sarcasm to show that I was not pleased.  This will also assist in helping me to keep my composure so that it won't affect me later in the round.

Had it happen to me in a tournament.  I chipped from off the green, ball is breaking right towards the hole and my fellow competitor runs over grabs the pin and attempts to pull it.  Instead, he pulls the plastic liner up and my ball bounces off of it.  He just stands there stunned.

Yes, it is best to announce (loudly if necessary) please leave the pin in ot please pull the pin.  Just make sure everyone knows what you want.

Originally Posted by tristanhilton85

I usually agree with you Desmond, but not here.

Agree with you --

I was not clear.

I did not intend to say it's your responsibility under the Rules to say, "Leave it in." I am saying as a practical matter you ought to say, "Leave it in" because most people don't know the Rules and don't know proper golf etiquette.

As a result, if you want to make certain the pin stays in, Say "Leave it in ... please."

As a result, if you want to make certain the pin stays in, Say "Leave it in ... please."

I'll definitely be doing that next time... in the meantime I'm thinking about ordering another rulebook from the USGA and highlighting it for him as a gift.  Lol

It's poor etiquette to remove the flagstick unasked when a player is playing a stroke from off the green.  He shouldn't have to say anything if he wants it left in.  I will sometimes ask whether he wants it left in, attended or removed if I happen to be near the hole and a player is preparing to putt from the fringe, because I've played with a lot of players who don't want the flag in the hole in that case.  But I probably wouldn't even ask if a player is chipping.  In that case it's up to him to make his wishes known if he want's it attended or removed.

However, if I'm playing with strangers and I haven't gotten a read on how well versed they are on the niceties of the game, I will probably make my wishes known.

The only time when I ask someone if they want the flag pulled, is if they are attempting a short putt from just off the green.  I would say 90%+ either don't want it in or don't care if it is in, in that scenario.  Other than that I only pull it if asked to do so.  The thing I find that is bad etiquette is when you are away and ready to hit your putt and they are just standing by their balls not pulling the pin and making you do it.  For some reason there a few guys I play with who will never remove the pin or place it back in when the hole is over.

I completely disagree. It's up to others to leave it alone unless asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post

It's not rocket science.

"You want the pin in, or out?"

I usually get one of two answers.......

(on the other hand, I've never had someone pull the pin unasked or unconfirmed (other than after we're all on and no huge putts)....that seems a bit odd)

Quote:
I chipped from off the green, ball is breaking right towards the hole and my fellow competitor runs over grabs the pin and attempts to pull it.  Instead, he pulls the plastic liner up and my ball bounces off of it.  He just stands there stunned.

that's hilarious, and a bit odd of him....

personally, I want the pin in for chips and pitches and sandies - my good shots don't seem to matter as the pace is normally fine, but when I miss, it's usually with a bit of extra energy, so I LIKE the pin in on those chips and pitches.....

If I'm putting from fringe, I'd ask for it out.  Putting from somewhere off fringe, where it's probably smarter for me to pitch or chip, .....in

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

Agree with you --

I was not clear.

I did not intend to say it's your responsibility under the Rules to say, "Leave it in." I am saying as a practical matter you ought to say, "Leave it in" because most people don't know the Rules and don't know proper golf etiquette.

I completely disagree. Common sense in most players should, by default, kick in and trigger them to leave the pin alone unless asked to remove it. Or, they should always at least ask if it is wanted with a simple "In or out?".

Bad break on the OP, but definitely by no fault of his own.

PS: Sorry for the double post, I did not initially see that you responded twice.

Originally Posted by Spyder

Read Post #10.

But if you want to leave it to chance, go ahead, but it won't make your day.

Read Post #10.

But if you want to leave it to chance, go ahead, but it won't make your day.

Read Post #16.

I will be the first one to ask someone if they were born in a barn!

Common sense should always prevail, Mr. Desmond. Someone should always ask. The rules justify them asking and common sense does as well.