IGNORED

2013 PGA Championship at Oak Hill Discussion Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 3895 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by iacas

The rough is pretty bad at Firestone this week, isn't it?

Not at all. Tiger's reaching the green on almost all his missed drives. He won't be able to do that next week. That's my worry with him. He has to be more straight next week to have a chance. He can't expect to get up and down constantly from missed fairways like he did yesterday. A good, long ball-striker who can hit it straight is going to be a tough contender next week....that's why you're hearing Adam Scott's name a lot on the short list of contenders.

Originally Posted by ChrisP

Not at all. Tiger's reaching the green on almost all his missed drives. He won't be able to do that next week. That's my worry with him. He has to be more straight next week to have a chance. He can't expect to get up and down constantly from missed fairways like he did yesterday. A good, long ball-striker who can hit it straight is going to be a tough contender next week....that's why you're hearing Adam Scott's name a lot on the short list of contenders.

The fact that you all but write Tiger off for next week, and then say that the course is well-suited to a player like Adam Scott is a huge contradiction. They have very similar games. Both are in the top 20 for total driving for this season, with Tiger the slightly more accurate of the two.

I'm not saying that the course is perfectly suited to Tiger but I think one of the keys to his game and the reason he's number 1 in the world is that he can win and compete on all sorts of different courses. On top of this, from what I've heard, Oak Hill sounds like a slightly more extreme, more difficult version of Firestone, how's Tiger doing there?

Originally Posted by tefunk

There are several good spots.  What I usually do is find a couple greens and tees that are in a general area so I can take short walks between the few, depending on who is making their way through those holes.

The course is pretty much surrounded by residential neighborhoods (also small parts back up to Monroe Ave, and Irondequoit CC... but you won't be able to get on from there), so there really isn't any better option than to park at MCC and take the shuttle in.

I found some paid parking at a house just off Kilbourn. Hopefully it will be better than the shuttle. Craigslist has several options.

I have been to many events, not just at Oak Hill. I agree on finding a place with several option.  I can look at the course layout, but was just wondering if anyone had specific suggestions.

Thanks.

Might as well get this week on and give the thread a bump. Lots of expectations this week for Tiger, but it would be really cool to see Rory come out of nowhere and play like, well, Rory.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What are the people in the know saying about how difficult Oak Hill will play this week?  Will it protect par?  Like Merion did?  Or is it going to be moreso like other PGA tournaments where ~ -10 wins?

Originally Posted by dtc48

I found some paid parking at a house just off Kilbourn. Hopefully it will be better than the shuttle. Craigslist has several options.

I have been to many events, not just at Oak Hill. I agree on finding a place with several option.  I can look at the course layout, but was just wondering if anyone had specific suggestions.

Thanks.

That's true, there are probably several people in that neighborhood willing to make some cash.  I didn't think of that.  That's actually where I'm parking as well (a friend of mine lives on Stoneleigh).

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

What are the people in the know saying about how difficult Oak Hill will play this week?  Will it protect par?  Like Merion did?  Or is it going to be moreso like other PGA tournaments where ~ -10 wins?

Oak Hill is brutal... small and undulated greens, many trees to tend with, long for a par 70 (7100 plus), not many birdie opportunities.  I've heard the rough won't be as bad as past tournaments though (there will be three cuts).

My thought is the winner will make the fewest mistakes (which isn't uncommon I guess) and pull of a few great shots to put some birdies on their card... luck will certainly come in handy as well.

How many times will Tiger use driver at Oak Hill? His irons were good at Firestone, but the driver sending him into trouble left and right.

DRIVING ACCURACY 71.43% 64.29% 57.14% 57.14% 62.50% T11
LONGEST DRIVE 324 379 333 326 379 2
GREENS IN REGULATION 88.89% 72.22% 50.00% 83.33% 73.61% 2

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Originally Posted by tefunk

That's true, there are probably several people in that neighborhood willing to make some cash.  I didn't think of that.  That's actually where I'm parking as well (a friend of mine lives on Stoneleigh).

I am also on Stoneleigh. Hope the traffic getting out is not too bad. Still better than the bus, I hope. Good money for people there as long as it does not rip up their lawn too much. Got the idea from an article in the D&C.;

Originally Posted by Zeph

How many times will Tiger use driver at Oak Hill? His irons were good at Firestone, but the driver sending him into trouble left and right.

DRIVING ACCURACY

71.43%

64.29%

57.14%

57.14%

62.50%

T11

LONGEST DRIVE

GREENS IN REGULATION

88.89%

72.22%

50.00%

83.33%

73.61%

Tiger won't have to pull driver that often at Oak Hill, but he needs to trust it when he does. There were times at Muirfield where he needed to hit driver off the tee, but lacked the confidence (or adopted overly conservative course management, at least) to do so. It definitely cost him there; on a course whose closing holes are a pair of 500-yard par fours, it will cost him again if he's in contention late Saturday or Sunday.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Originally Posted by Chilli Dipper

Tiger won't have to pull driver that often at Oak Hill, but he needs to trust it when he does. There were times at Muirfield where he needed to hit driver off the tee, but lacked the confidence (or adopted overly conservative course management, at least) to do so. It definitely cost him there; on a course whose closing holes are a pair of 500-yard par fours, it will cost him again if he's in contention late Saturday or Sunday.

If Woods doesn't pull out his driver this week, he won't win. Plain and simple. However, using his driver could cost him the win as well. There are plenty of holes on this course where if you don't hit driver, you'll be way too far back to have any chance getting it close, but if you do hit driver there is trouble right and left. The best drivers of the ball this week will likely be in the top 3 on Sunday, which is why I'm leaning towards Adam Scott and Hunter Mahan.

Woods drove it pretty well at Firestone, always on the correct side of the fairway or (mostly) only a few yards in the rough. He was third in total driving.  As long as he does thie same at the PGA the driving won't be the problem. It will all come down to putting again.

• Administrator
No, its not bad at all. hard for us, easy for them

Spitfisher, were you at Firestone last week like I was, or at Oak Hill right now like I am? If the answer to either is no how can you reasonably compare the rough or tree lines? BTW there are more trees at Firestone. [quote name="ChrisP" url="/t/68920/2013-pga-championship-at-oak-hill-discussion-thread/30#post_877905"] Not at all. Tiger's reaching the green on almost all his missed drives. He won't be able to do that next week. That's my worry with him. He has to be more straight next week to have a chance. He can't expect to get up and down constantly from missed fairways like he did yesterday. A good, long ball-striker who can hit it straight is going to be a tough contender next week....that's why you're hearing Adam Scott's name a lot on the short list of contenders. [/quote] Adam Scott is basically no better a driver than Tiger.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just FYI, if Tiger is in contention going into the weekend, I will not be able to join you guys in the fancy chatroom.  Every time I join, he starts playing poorly.  When I'm in the regular chat, he plays great.

I know you all will miss me, but I gotta do what I gotta do.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Just FYI, if Tiger is in contention going into the weekend, I will not be able to join you guys in the fancy chatroom.  Every time I join, he starts playing poorly.  When I'm in the regular chat, he plays great. I know you all will miss me, but I gotta do what I gotta do.

Tiger wanted me to tell you that both he and I appreciate your consideration and we look forward to working with you in the future! :-D

• Upvote 1

Colin P.

Oak Hill is a course that Tiger can win on with his iron play alone.  Think back to Hoy Lake.  The scores will be such that he won't need to make many birdies to stay in contention.  Pars will serve players well.  As for those that say you need to hit driver at Oak Hill, you don't.  The holes that seem like driver holes such as 7, 9, 17, 18, although striping one 320 will set the hole up nicely, the difference between hitting a 6 iron and 4 iron into a green is not great, when it comes to proximity to the hole and birdie average.  So, the difficult holes are played for par, and then some of the easier holes need to be capitalized on, such as 2, 5, 10, 12, 14.

I think Tiger has a great chance because of his iron play.

Cheers!

Liam Friedman
PGA Assistant Golf Professional
Trying to make the TOUR
Contestant on Big Break: Greenbrier

Note: This thread is 3895 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!