IGNORED

Has anyone ever made a cheap vs expensive clubs comparison test?

Note: This thread is 1913 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 8/7/2013 at 6:53 PM, Lihu said:

I have had my eyes on the MP53s. :-)

I just picked up a set of used MP-53's from 2ndswing for around $300.  Great condition, very new looking grips.  Highly recommend picking up a used set vs a Wally-world set (for those considering that). 

The cheaper manufactured clubs have the same issues that all cheaply manufactured goods have - quality control and materials.  These companies basically take (steal, in some cases) standard designs and then make them as cheaply as they can.  You might find that the lies are inconsistent in the set or that the materials and hardening is not as good and the lies and lofts get out of whack with use.  Stuff like that. 

With the availability of used golf clubs - I'd say there's not even a reason to buy super cheap new clubs. 

This is mostly about "major brand" clubs vs "super cheap" clubs.  I'm not talking about "2nd tier" brands that make good equipment but focus on value . .like Tour Edge (maybe - I'm not super up on brands), etc.  I think most or all of those are fine clubs. 

On August 5, 2013 at 4:08 PM, golfingnooob said:

I know they have machines that can swing a golf club in the exact same place at the same speed using a robotic arm.

Has anyone ever done this with a cheap club against an expensive one? Do you think the expensive driver would go much further, or the expensive irons would be more accurate or whatever?

My thinking is that these companies like Ping and Callaway invest loads of money in R&D; but then the year after, other companies can just copy their clubs, and I imagine most are made the same way with the same materials. Plus these companies have to spend money on marketing, sponsorship, etc.

What are your thoughts?

I think it depends on why they are expensive.

Just expensive for the sake of a brand name, then of course there are no differences.

However, if they are expensive because of the materials used, or they were custom fitted to you swing style, then there will be a difference.

6 minutes ago, Rainmaker said:

I just picked up a set of used MP-53's from 2ndswing for around $300.  Great condition, very new looking grips.  Highly recommend picking up a used set vs a Wally-world set (for those considering that). 

The cheaper manufactured clubs have the same issues that all cheaply manufactured goods have - quality control and materials.  These companies basically take (steal, in some cases) standard designs and then make them as cheaply as they can.  You might find that the lies are inconsistent in the set or that the materials and hardening is not as good and the lies and lofts get out of whack with use.  Stuff like that. 

With the availability of used golf clubs - I'd say there's not even a reason to buy super cheap new clubs. 

This is mostly about "major brand" clubs vs "super cheap" clubs.  I'm not talking about "2nd tier" brands that make good equipment but focus on value . .like Tour Edge (maybe - I'm not super up on brands), etc.  I think most or all of those are fine clubs. 

I'm still thinking of getting an MP-53 or MP-54 or even an MP-25. I am totally sold on my MP-52, and would continue to use them for quite some time if I can't get a deal on the other ones. Someday, I will even be willing to pay full price on Mizuno clubs, but that needs to wait a few years yet. My kids' college is going to be pretty expensive. . .

One thing I would recommend is to change the grips. Find one that is perfect for you. It's only $40 to get them replaced by a professional, or about $25 yourself getting them in bulk.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

36 minutes ago, Lihu said:

I'm still thinking of getting an MP-53 or MP-54 or even an MP-25. I am totally sold on my MP-52, and would continue to use them for quite some time if I can't get a deal on the other ones. Someday, I will even be willing to pay full price on Mizuno clubs, but that needs to wait a few years yet. My kids' college is going to be pretty expensive. . .

One thing I would recommend is to change the grips. Find one that is perfect for you. It's only $40 to get them replaced by a professional, or about $25 yourself getting them in bulk.

I was prepared to change the grips but I like these.  They are the blue golf pride that I'm pretty sure are or where standard on some Mizuno irons . . but they've hardly been played and feel great to me . .so - bonus!

4 minutes ago, Rainmaker said:

I was prepared to change the grips but I like these.  They are the blue golf pride that I'm pretty sure are or where standard on some Mizuno irons . . but they've hardly been played and feel great to me . .so - bonus!

Bonus! That's the thing about quality clubs, they continue to look quality even when all banged up. My Mizuno clubs still look pretty nice even when I put them through my daily game.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

On 4/20/2016 at 9:04 AM, newtogolf said:

In the instances I was referring to, it wasn't the heads, but the shafts that broke.  If you're selling an entire set for $150 it's not likely being built with the best components so overall quality is going to suffer.  

I agree, but I never broke a shaft either.

Cheap or expensive sort of depends on where you purchase your club. For example, my Cobra Flyz + driver is currently selling at Dick's Sporting goods for $200 plus tax, whereas I bought it on ebay for $139 with free shipping. My Cobra Bio Cell hybrid is currently selling at Dick's for $90 plus tax, but I got it on ebay for $59 with free shipping. Basically, I saved approximately $125 by buying from ebay as opposed to Dick's. That $125 I saved will be used to buy other equipment.

Yes, I have. The expensive ones cost more. 

• Upvote 2

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• 1 year later...
On 8/6/2013 at 1:30 AM, joekelly said:

Some years ago someone took middle range cast irons, and middle range forged irons and painted them all black. No one could see any difference. Then some touring pros were asked to hit some balls. No touring pro could find any difference in performance. Nuff said?

Doesn't surprise me.

In my bag Driver: Cleveland CG tour black Fairway Woods: Diablo Octane 3 wood; Diablo 5 wood Irons: Mizuno MP53 5-9 Hybrid: Cobra 3, 4 T-Rail Wedge: 46* Cleveland, 50* Cleveland, 54* Titleist, 60* Titleist Putter: Odyssey protype #6 Ball: Maxfli U4/U6... But I'm not really picky about the ball I use.

• 1 month later...
On 8/7/2013 at 6:10 PM, Lihu said:

I have Cleveland CG Tour for my main "learning" club. I also have ping i10, burner 1.0 and really cheap Zevo clubs. To be honest, they all hit about the same now. I would say the the Clevelands are the easiest to hit a consistent distance with the I10 coming in a close second. The burners and the Zevo clubs could hit much farther, but I just don't like the look of the clubs. They are much easier to hit, but they look kind of big. My hybrids have the same size head as the SW on both the burner and the Zevo clubs. My two favorite clubs sets are the Clevelands and the pings. I wouldn't mind finding a second hand set of taylormade MB or CB clubs. The ultimate clubs I would like are titleist or mizuno, but they are expensive even for used clubs. It would take quite a bit for me to get a brand new set of $1000 plus clubs, perhaps I am too cheap?

I hate to bring up an old topic, but I am actually looking into getting a new set, and am by no means looking to break the bank. I just want good, quality clubs that will last a while, considering I only golf maybe 6 or 7 times a year, if lucky enough to do so, and can't justify $500+ clubs at this point. 

I have seen a Zevo z450 complete club set for under $200 on sale, and was curious if anyone has used them before and what their overall impressions on the clubs themselves were, and if they thought they were indeed a good buy for the cost. Granted, I'm not trying to come across as cheap, but if I can find good quality for under $300 that will last, then by all means, I'll look into it. I can just be leery of either non-big named brand clubs, for fear of being cheap quality and/or breaking easily. 

I've also checked out the Callaway Strata sets for around $220, but those have gotten very mixed reviews, with some claiming club heads break off and/or just aren't good enough quality to last, which is alarming from a brand like Callaway, in my opinion, of course, they aren't top of the line, but still. 

Cheers! 

Edited by pmack18

29 minutes ago, pmack18 said:

I hate to bring up an old topic, but I am actually looking into getting a new set, and am by no means looking to break the bank. I just want good, quality clubs that will last a while, considering I only golf maybe 6 or 7 times a year, if lucky enough to do so, and can't justify $500+ clubs at this point. 

I have seen a Zevo z450 complete club set for under $200 on sale, and was curious if anyone has used them before and what their overall impressions on the clubs themselves were, and if they thought they were indeed a good buy for the cost. Granted, I'm not trying to come across as cheap, but if I can find good quality for under $300 that will last, then by all means, I'll look into it. I can just be leery of either non-big named brand clubs, for fear of being cheap quality and/or breaking easily. 

I've also checked out the Callaway Strata sets for around $220, but those have gotten very mixed reviews, with some claiming club heads break off and/or just aren't good enough quality to last, which is alarming from a brand like Callaway, in my opinion, of course, they aren't top of the line, but still. 

Cheers! 

The Zevo are solid clubs, but kind of chunky. If you don't mind that they could be a good fit. I'd definitely replace the driver and woods in the set eventually.

• Like 1

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

1 hour ago, Lihu said:

The Zevo are solid clubs, but kind of chunky. If you don't mind that they could be a good fit. I'd definitely replace the driver and woods in the set eventually.

That's good to know. I've been debating between getting this Zevo complete set, or trying to find a decent quality iron set $150 to $250, that I can use with the current driver I have. Only problem is trying to find one new that isn't poor quality, or one used that doesn't look like it's been beaten to hell and back. Gotta love it! :-)

Just now, pmack18 said:

That's good to know. I've been debating between getting this Zevo complete set, or trying to find a decent quality iron set $150 to $250, that I can use with the current driver I have. Only problem is trying to find one new that isn't poor quality, or one used that doesn't look like it's been beaten to hell and back. Gotta love it! :-)

Yeah, beginners clubs go through a lot of abuse. Try getting a used set of good clubs. There are quite a few places that have those as well.

The thing about the Zevo clubs was their lifetime warranty. I don't know if they still have it, but as a Golfsmith product they were warranted for life. I got shafts replaces and head glued on many times for free. The name brand products like TM or Callaway required shipping back to the manufacturers and could take a couple weeks.

Shop around a bit.

• Like 1

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Hands down, if you want to play your best you're better off going with a competent builder and a component brand. Reason being that the money gets to the equipment and the fitting more than it gets back to tour pros. Buying off the rack clubs doesn't help anyone except retailers because you'll keep buying and buying and buying whenever the newest comes out. 

• Like 2

At the moment, I found and am leaning towards a Mizuno MP52, used in Very Good Condition, 4-PW Iron set, which will total roughly $170, so not too shabby at all. 

Of course it is a stiff flex, but that can always be adjusted to, and might even help my game out a little bit, can't make it any worse, that's for sure! Ha 

7 hours ago, The Club Nut said:

Hands down, if you want to play your best you're better off going with a competent builder and a component brand. Reason being that the money gets to the equipment and the fitting more than it gets back to tour pros. Buying off the rack clubs doesn't help anyone except retailers because you'll keep buying and buying and buying whenever the newest comes out. 

I like this comment!

5 hours ago, pmack18 said:

At the moment, I found and am leaning towards a Mizuno MP52, used in Very Good Condition, 4-PW Iron set, which will total roughly $170, so not too shabby at all. 

Of course it is a stiff flex, but that can always be adjusted to, and might even help my game out a little bit, can't make it any worse, that's for sure! Ha 

Actually, yes it could!

8 hours ago, pmack18 said:

Great clubs. $170 is cheap. I love mine.

Just don't get frustrated with lower trajectories at first. This club with an S300 shaft has a notoriously low trajectory until you get your swing speed up. That said, they're really good clubs, and I think you'll enjoy them as well.

• Like 1

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 1913 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!