IGNORED

2013 Solheim Cup Discussion Thread

Tontj5
Note: This thread is 3880 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I admit that I don't follow the LPGA much . .but I do enjoy watching the majors and other tournaments here and there .. I was kind of excited about the the Solheim Cup since it's bit of a slow golf-week otherwise.  But when I watched some pre-tournament coverage, all the best players were missing!  7 of the world top 10 are missing!

I know it's the same deal with the Ryder Cup . .but I'm not sure if I'd watch the Ryder Cup if 7 of the top 10 were missing.  Time to figure out a way to get the Asians in!  And Karrie Webb, too.  I pretty much consider Australia as Europe . .don't most people? (lol)

Kerr and Creamer put up a couple wins to try and close the gap but it was too little too late. Surprised on this one. 3 to 1 after alternate play - euros are up 4 ball teams are defined now

Pressel and Korda won their match. Kerr and Creamer lost theirs.

Originally Posted by barbm12thtee

Pressel and Korda won their match. Kerr and Creamer lost theirs.

He is referring to the last couple of holes they won in an attempt to come back.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingWhacker View Post

I admit that I don't follow the LPGA much . .but I do enjoy watching the majors and other tournaments here and there .. I was kind of excited about the the Solheim Cup since it's bit of a slow golf-week otherwise.  But when I watched some pre-tournament coverage, all the best players were missing!  7 of the world top 10 are missing!

I know it's the same deal with the Ryder Cup . .but I'm not sure if I'd watch the Ryder Cup if 7 of the top 10 were missing.  Time to figure out a way to get the Asians in!  And Karrie Webb, too.  I pretty much consider Australia as Europe . .don't most people? (lol)

make it western vs eastern hemisphere, or let the Aussies and Asians join the US, or something

Quote:
He is referring to the last couple of holes they won in an attempt to come back.

Thanks Dave - that's exactly it.  I fully expect Pressel/Korda to win.  But expected the same from Kerr/Creamer and they just didn't get it together in time.

Bill - 

Tony, thanks for the always awesome LPGA insight.  This will be an awesome tournament.   Lots of build up I've seen on TV and I hope to see a tight match with both teams grinding towards the final climax.  Hopefully we'll see a lot of hole outs.

I saw what you did there. ;-)

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Originally Posted by Dave2512

FIFY

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motley01 View Post

Typical Douche. Wow sometimes......

Originally Posted by kw purp

I just can't get enough Solheim Cup action. I am on the edge of my seat for every second of coverage.

Seriously though who gives a f***

Typical New Yorker. Wow sometimes......

Much better! Sad thing is, they are all moving to Denver.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Only players born on USA soil can join USA team. Just like the POTUS.  This according to Wikipedia.  I don't recall if same stipulations apply to Europeans. So this ruling, wherever it comes from, means all naturalized USA citizens are denied this opportunity to play for the 'land of opportunity and equality'.

Lexi Thompson just bombed it 54 yards past Suzann Pettersen on 18.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Originally Posted by mvmac

Lexi Thompson just bombed it 54 yards past Suzann Pettersen on 18.

If only they gave points for that.

So there was a bad ruling on the 15th hole today, below is the story.  Important thing to keep in mind is that is was a LATERAL water hazard not a water hazard.

Ciganda and partner Suzann Pettersen both hit their second shots into a lateral hazard right of the par-5 15th. A lengthy discussion ensued with rules officials not only to locate the balls, but decide where a proper drop should be taken.

Crowds chanted their complaints and American opponents Stacy Lewis and Lexi Thompson grew impatient as officials paced around the area. European captain Liselotte Neumann was on hand, and American captain Meg Mallon arrived several minutes later. All told, the ruling took about 25 minutes.

Ciganda hit her fourth shot onto the fringe and made the par putt to secure an unexpected halve with Lewis and Thompson.In the end, Ciganda received an incorrect ruling from a member of the Solheim Cup Rules Committee. As the official in charge later explained, the point where Ciganda’s ball crossed the margin of the hazard was accurately established. Among Ciganda’s options was to drop on the opposite margin of the hazard equidistant from the hole, another point that was accurately established. However, Ciganda should have dropped within two club lengths from that point. Instead, she was allowed to take her ball back about 40 yards, keeping that point on line with the flagstick.

“Obviously I’m not happy about it,” Mallon said. “The thing I’m most unhappy about is that it took ... about 25 minutes for this to happen. And from our perspective, the momentum, which was coming in our favor at that point in time, obviously had stopped.”

Questions were posed at the time of the drop, Mallon said, but perhaps not the right ones. Play proceeded, and Pettersen birdied the next hole to take the Europeans 1 up. They won by that margin at the 18th, when Pettersen made a clutch two-putt par.

“I wanted the reasoning behind it, but the explanation did not make it more clear to me,” Lewis said of the ruling. “It actually made me have more questions.”

By the time that first group completed the 15th hole, three groups were stacked there. Europeans Caroline Masson and Caroline Hedwall, 1 up at the 15th, won their match while Americans Brittany Lincicome and Brittany Lang took the third match, 4 and 3. The Americans halved the afternoon with the Europeans, and trail 5-3 after Day 1.

“If you know anything in sports, you know momentum is everything,” Mallon said.

The ruling will stand because it was given to Ciganda incorrectly. As Mallon said, it’s now a moot point.

Despite halving the 15th, it was among the parts of Ciganda’s Solheim Cup debut that seemed like they couldn’t have gone any worse.

“It was very stressful at the time,” Ciganda said of the early holes, where she struggled to contribute.

As for the Americans, Mallon knows she may have to go home and help Lewis with a rally – if she hasn’t already rallied herself.

“As far as moving on, the good thing is we are only two points down and, if anything, this just gives everyone more motivation,” Lewis said

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

So there was a bad ruling on the 15th hole today, below is the story.  Important thing to keep in mind is that is was a LATERAL water hazard not a water hazard.

Yeah, saw the highlights of that.  She hit her shot into the water at 5:45 and then hit her shot onto the green at 6:21, 36 minutes later.  Bad enough that it took them that long, and then on top of it, they didn't even rule right.  Whoops.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Yeah, saw the highlights of that.  She hit her shot into the water at 5:45 and then hit her shot onto the green at 6:21, 36 minutes later.  Bad enough that it took them that long, and then on top of it, they didn't even rule right.  Whoops.

Yeah, but at least in that time we didn't have to see Michelle Wie putting or the caddies trying to get as much air time as possible.

What is it with these guys? Are they so worried about being in a female environment they try extra hard to look as if they are in control? Their swaggering and lining up and loud voices for the benefit of the cameras makes me ill.

Thank God we also don't have to look at Natalie Gulbis's chicken legs and horrible head dip. Unfortunately we do have to see Paula Creamer being all girly and nice.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

So I watched about an hour of the Solheim Cup today and maybe it was just me, but didnt it seem like on both sides, the ladies seemed to miss read the greens, and just miss putts that they should be making 95% of the time???    especially within 5 to 10ft

I mean i seen Creamer hit a putt that ended up 3 feet away from the cup and the ball actually broke the opposite way from what she thought it would..  And then she kind of had a dumbfounded look on her face like she couldnt believe it..

Now me being me, right as she putted, i was like where the hell is she going??  cuz i could see on tv the ball wasnt going to be close to the cup..

It is what it is

Another (not ruling but infringement) when Kerr lifted her touching ball next to Wie's. And she cleaned it. Luckily she did not make the putt.

“I love match play. I love Solheim. I love my country. And I love Cristie Kerr,”

Michelle Wie said after her afternoon match.

This reminds me of Rocky Balboa,

"I love my son, i love my country"

Very clever guy

maybe its just me but I think wie should tone down her antics a bit.ya she is a good match player but she has been god awful the past 2 years and is lucky she is even on the team.

Yeah, but at least in that time we didn't have to see Michelle Wie putting or the caddies trying to get as much air time as possible. What is it with these guys? Are they so worried about being in a female environment they try extra hard to look as if they are in control? Their swaggering and lining up and loud voices for the benefit of the cameras makes me ill. Thank God we also don't have to look at Natalie Gulbis's chicken legs and horrible head dip. Unfortunately we do have to see Paula Creamer being all girly and nice.

I agree. Love it when they wipe their face and all that makeup ends up on their shirtsleeve. I like players like Pressel and Pettersen. They're there to play, not compete in a fashion runway.

Note: This thread is 3880 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!