IGNORED

U.S. Maps of Varying Pronunciations

jamo
Note: This thread is 3737 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by jamo

I think those new Coca-Cola soda fountains with the touch screens let you add orange flavor to Coke.

As a matter of fact, yes they do!

They also have cherry, vanilla and lime.

For the record, lime is great ... my go-to soda is diet pepsi with lime. ;)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Quote:

I think those new Coca-Cola soda fountains with the touch screens let you add orange flavor to Coke.

As a matter of fact, yes they do!

They also have cherry, vanilla and lime.

For the record, lime is great ... my go-to soda is diet pepsi with lime. ;)

I'm a big fan of Sprite with lemon, especially when it's hot.

Tyler Martin

Originally Posted by geauxforbroke

I'm a big fan of Sprite with lemon, especially when it's hot.

Isn't that sort of like saying I love coke flavored coke? ;)

Speaking of soda in the heat though.  I've always been told since I was younger that soda is not a very good refreshing "cool down" drink when you're hot.  (I don't know, something about the carbonation, blah, blah, blah)  But, man, when I have a diet pepsi after having been in the heat ... its like heaven.

Isn't that sort of like saying I love coke flavored coke? ;)

I should have been more clear. I like Sprite with lemon juice , not the lemon flavoring. I guess the acid makes it not so sweet and somehow more refreshing.

My wife thinks it's weird too.

Tyler Martin

In Iran they also say Coke. Coke was the first soda there. China did that at first, but " Chi Hsueh" meaning powerful water, gave them native name to call it, and now they use two chinese words that sound like soda. So, another billion people now say something sounding like "soda".

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

It's fizzy drink!

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Seriously ... that just sounds gross.

However, applying what I've learned here in the past couple of days, it makes perfect sense.

In the south coke=soda, so it stands to reason that orange soda would be orange coke.  No matter how gross it sounds at first. ;)

On that note, as a kid my parents used to buy "Shasta" cola because it was dirt cheap (basically store brand) and came in a million different flavors.  One time we were shopping and they had "chocolate" as one of the flavors, and using sound logic (soda is delicious, chocolate is delicious, therefore chocolate soda has to be delicious) I went ahead and got a six pack.  Never again.  That was the most vile beverage I had ever tasted to that point in my life, and quite possibly still is.

Around Mass, Polar Cola is the cheap brand.  Of course, we pronounce it, "Polah Colah".  They have this giant inflatable Polar Bear on a sign at their headquarters in Worcester just off Route 290.  The poor thing has been shot with arrows and bullets many times.  I even know of someone who used a cross box to fell the beast back in the late '70s.  He got caught and had to pay to fix it and do community service.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Seriously ... that just sounds gross.

However, applying what I've learned here in the past couple of days, it makes perfect sense.

In the south coke=soda, so it stands to reason that orange soda would be orange coke.  No matter how gross it sounds at first. ;)

On that note, as a kid my parents used to buy "Shasta" cola because it was dirt cheap (basically store brand) and came in a million different flavors.  One time we were shopping and they had "chocolate" as one of the flavors, and using sound logic (soda is delicious, chocolate is delicious, therefore chocolate soda has to be delicious) I went ahead and got a six pack.  Never again.  That was the most vile beverage I had ever tasted to that point in my life, and quite possibly still is.

Actually i don't thin the transitive property works there. I'm form Ohio and we don't say Orange Pop, its always Orange Soda. so, there are some difference because its a proper noun.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

OK, here's text exchange with the wife, not sure how much it helps ...

The "ah" sound she's referring to for marry is confusing.  She says the "a" exactly the same way you'd say it in the word "at."  Anyway, like I said ... if you heard one of "those people" ;) say those words, you'd understand. :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shorty, I don't know what to tell you about then and than.  I've noticed it as well, way more than I should.  The letters are not close enough together to chalk it up as typos.

Something that never makes these lists, but I find happens a lot more often than it should (which is never) is when people try to add an adverbin the middle of the word "another."  As in "That's a whole nother story."  Huh?  Nother isn't even a flippin word!   And when I say people, I include myself, because I do that all of the time.  And once I realized it, and tried to stop, I have been noticing that a lottttttttt of people out there do it. ;)  Whoops.

Haha, okay this does help. Very interesting! Although I still think they're crazy

In the Bag:
:titleist: 913 D3 - 9.5* - Diamana Stiff 62g
:mizuno: MP 64s 3-PW - DGS300
:cleveland: CG12 52* & 56*
:tmade: Rosa

Originally Posted by boogielicious

There is an on-line test I have taken a couple of times.  Both times it said, "98% Boston" for my accent.

Of the accents I had acquired over the years through the US, there are a few that stick around with me like it or not.

The strongest being in order are: Georgia, Texas and mostly Boston.

I think "Medfud and Woosta" accents are the ones that stand out the most.

What's really bad is I am practically a native CA. 85% of my time has been spent here!

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Originally Posted by butt3r3dt0ast

Haha, okay this does help. Very interesting! Although I still think they're crazy

Totally agree.  I like to mess with her whenever I have the chance ... this morning, in fact.  Like I said before, my wife's name is Sheri, and she pronounces it like anybody would, Sh-air-ee.  Now, if you ask her to say the name "Shari", she will absolutely say it differently.  The "a" gets that "aa" sound as in "at."  This morning, she has to tell our son to share his toys with his sister.  Funny enough, she pronounces share normally ... just like she says her name; "sh-air."  So, I'm like "Ha, proof that you are wrong!"

--------------------------------------------

On a related note ... how do you guys all say the word "donkey?"  Apparently those from Long Island say "dunkey," like monkey.  I chuckle every time. ;)

Totally agree.  I like to mess with her whenever I have the chance ... this morning, in fact.  Like I said before, my wife's name is Sheri, and she pronounces it like anybody would, Sh-air-ee.  Now, if you ask her to say the name "Shari", she will absolutely say it differently.  The "a" gets that "aa" sound as in "at."  This morning, she has to tell our son to share his toys with his sister.  Funny enough, she pronounces share normally ... just like she says her name; "sh-air."  So, I'm like "Ha, proof that you are wrong!"

--------------------------------------------

On a related note ... how do you guys all say the word "donkey?"  Apparently those from Long Island say "dunkey," like monkey.  I chuckle every time. ;)

Haha, that's great. Caught her red-handed!

Definitely pronounce it "Donk-ee". If memory serves though, I believe Shrek pronounces it "Dough-nk-ee"

In the Bag:
:titleist: 913 D3 - 9.5* - Diamana Stiff 62g
:mizuno: MP 64s 3-PW - DGS300
:cleveland: CG12 52* & 56*
:tmade: Rosa

HaHa, not like monkey!

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Isn't that sort of like saying I love coke flavored coke? ;) Speaking of soda in the heat though.  I've always been told since I was younger that soda is not a very good refreshing "cool down" drink when you're hot.  (I don't know, something about the carbonation, blah, blah, blah)  But, man, when I have a diet pepsi after having been in the heat ... its like heaven.

Most people discourage soda in the heat because caffeinated drinks actually dehydrate you more.

I grew up in New York and now I live in a MD suburb of DC.  I always said Bo-wie, but have started to correct it with Boo-wie lately.  There's a town around here that's pronounced that way, which I imagine is why people where would pronounce the knife the same.  Its interesting to see that tiny little pocket right over this area.

How can you just cut out syllables like that?

Definitely Hero, the teeny little spec on long island.  And since we're the only people with true delis, you're all wrong.

They're all different words, spelled differently, shouldn't they be pronounced different?  I've talked with friends about this who cannot repeat the distinctions that I make when I say these three words.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

• Administrator

They left out "yinz" for "a group of people" as a colored dot in the Pittsburgh area.

As in "Yinz goin' to the Bucco game?" or even "What are yinz all doin' later?"

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I agree with almost all of them except Coke. I think in California and I have lived south, central and north and mostly I hear coke. I can't remember the last time I heard someone order a soda.

Michael

Note: This thread is 3737 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!