IGNORED

U.S. Maps of Varying Pronunciations

jamo
Note: This thread is 3736 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Totally agree.  I like to mess with her whenever I have the chance ... this morning, in fact.  Like I said before, my wife's name is Sheri, and she pronounces it like anybody would, Sh-air-ee.  Now, if you ask her to say the name "Shari", she will absolutely say it differently.  The "a" gets that "aa" sound as in "at."  This morning, she has to tell our son to share his toys with his sister.  Funny enough, she pronounces share normally ... just like she says her name; "sh-air."  So, I'm like "Ha, proof that you are wrong!" -------------------------------------------- On a related note ... how do you guys all say the word "donkey?"  Apparently those from Long Island say "dunkey," like monkey.  I chuckle every time. ;)

How does she say "towel?" A lot of people I know from Long Island pronounce it as one syllable. As if you replaced the "h" in the name "Hal" with a "T."

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted by jamo

How does she say "towel?" A lot of people I know from Long Island pronounce it as one syllable. As if you replaced the "h" in the name "Hal" with a "T."

LOL ... she actually says it normally, but she is familiar with the pronunciation you mention.  I will ask her dad when I see him tomorrow.  He's the one that still has the pretty strong accent. ;)

Here's another one ... this may just be my wife's goofiness, and not actually an accent though, that's why I'm asking.

When she says "forward," instead of pronouncing it "four-word," she says "foe-word."

Also, when she says "always" she leaves out the "L."  ... "ah-ways."

Anybody know if that's an east coast, or NY, or Long Island thing?  Or is she just a goofball?

Could be slight Boston with "foe-wud". Does she say "fore" or "foe-wa" for the number 4?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Here's another one ... this may just be my wife's goofiness, and not actually an accent though, that's why I'm asking. When she says "forward," instead of pronouncing it "four-word," she says "foe-word." Also, when she says "always" she leaves out the "L."  ... "ah-ways." Anybody know if that's an east coast, or NY, or Long Island thing?  Or is she just a goofball?

What about "orange?" One syllable or two? And does she say "aks" instead of "ask?" The Long Island accent is crazy. Half of my extended family is from there, but only some of them have the accent. The ones who really have it you can tell, because they pronounce Long Island as "Lon Guy-Land."

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Here's another one ... this may just be my wife's goofiness, and not actually an accent though, that's why I'm asking.

When she says "forward," instead of pronouncing it "four-word," she says "foe-word."

Also, when she says "always" she leaves out the "L."  ... "ah-ways."

Anybody know if that's an east coast, or NY, or Long Island thing?  Or is she just a goofball?

I think that's a long island thing, at least.  I've been working to insert the "r".  Does she pronounce "drawer" as "draw"?

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Originally Posted by jamo

What about "orange?" One syllable or two?

And does she say "aks" instead of "ask?"

The Long Island accent is crazy. Half of my extended family is from there, but only some of them have the accent. The ones who really have it you can tell, because they pronounce Long Island as "Lon Guy-Land."

I think I may have even mentioned it up the thread somewhere, but yeah, she absolutely pronounces orange with 1 syllable. .... "arnj"

Originally Posted by dsc123

I think that's a long island thing, at least.  I've been working to insert the "r".  Does she pronounce "drawer" as "draw"?

Her accent is very mild ... She had been out of LI for several years before I met her so I don't know if she lost it or never had it.  It's just a few funny words that she says.  When we go visit our friends/family though ... especially the LI friends, forget about it.  Listening to them is entertainment enough for me.  She also has some City relatives that have a much milder accent.

Did you mean to reverse those by the way?  Her dad absolute ADDS an R to the end of words like "draw"  I mentioned above ... he orders "rawr" onions on his steak or burger in restaurants, and the waiters out here never understand him the first time, and usually don't the second time.  Then I step in and translate.

When my kids go to visit their grandparents (every week ... they live out here now) they sometimes come back with an accent.  Like if it's a new word they first learned from Grandpa.  They "play" chess sometimes and he taught my son the names of all of the pieces, including the pawns.  Not really sure how to explain the LI version of the word phonetically on paper, but I guess the closest I could get would be "pwon."  You guys probably know the sound I'm talking about though.  Funny to hear your 3 year old son, who was born in Cali and always lived in Cali randomly have a LI accent for a couple of words.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

When we go visit our friends/family though ... especially the LI friends, forget about it.

I believe that's actually pronounced like this

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Did you mean to reverse those by the way?  Her dad absolute ADDS an R to the end of words like "draw"  I mentioned above ... he orders "rawr" onions on his steak or burger in restaurants, and the waiters out here never understand him the first time, and usually don't the second time.  Then I step in and translate.

Maybe I get my "draw" from somewhere else, you're definitely right about "rawr onions"

Its been about 10 years since I lived there and now when I go back its like nails on a chauwkboard.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

Originally Posted by dsc123

Its been about 10 years since I lived there and now when I go back its like nails on a chauwkboard.

Isn't it chauk boad ?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

In Oklahoma a washer is a "warsher" in which clothes are washed, or "worshed."  Think "war" as in World War "war-sher" or "wore-sher."

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Isn't it chaukboad?

it might be.  I'm not convinced that I hear r's enough to be too sure about this.  The first part is definitely Chauwk, kind of like a hawk.

Originally Posted by TJBam

In Oklahoma a washer is a "warsher" in which clothes are washed, or "worshed."  Think "war" as in World War "war-sher" or "wore-sher."

My grandparents lived upstate new york, rochester region, and they definitely said "worsed."  I don't even know how to write out their pronunciation of "wallet" .... maybe "woulet"

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

Here in Rhode Island submarine sandwiches are called "grinders".

Really? Then what do you call lap dancers?? Must get confusing.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Originally Posted by VOX

Here in Rhode Island submarine sandwiches are called "grinders". They go well with a "cabinet" (aka milkshake).

And hot dogs can be called "Gaggahs"!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 2 weeks later...

The guy Joshua Katz who did the research for the graphs in the OP also has a survey that you can take that will pinpoint your dialect and give you a cool map. My results: My most similar cities: Waterbury, CT; Springfield, MA; New Haven, CT; Hartford, CT; Bridgeport, CT. My least similar cities: Jackson, MS; Clarksville, TN; Nashville, TN; Chattanooga, TN; Wichita, KS. Here's the link: http://spark.rstudio.com/jkatz/DialectQuiz/

In my bag:

• Administrator

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Harmonious

Most similar: Tacoma, WA

Are you from there?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 3736 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!