• Announcements

    • iacas

      Introducing TST "Clubs!"   08/28/2017

      No, we're not getting into the equipment business, but we do have "clubs" here on TST now. Groups. Check them out here:
Sign in to follow this  
MissouriHack

What are your "Golf" rules?

Recommended Posts

What are the rules that you set for yourself that help you too go low in a round? Were do you apply them? What happens if you break them?

My rules:

You here to have fun.

I can get a little too serious sometimes.

You not a professional golfer

This helps me keep things in perspective. I should try and shoot an 88 not a 68.

If you don't need the driver don't use it.

The weakest club in my back. My 3wood will get me around most courses just fine.

Aim for the middle of the green dummy, don't chase pins unless you can use a wedge.

I was shooting for the pins from everywhere lol

The ball is your friend, don't hit it like you just caught it trying to steal your T.V.

Slow and smooth like Freddy

Birdie putts have to get there to go in. Don't leave them short.

On the rare occasions that I do see a birdie putt I tend to not to hit them. Don't ask why.

No, and I mean NO hero shots ( see rule 2) take your medicine if you don't it will cost you more than one stroke.

self explanatory

Uphill putts don't break as much as down hill putts.

Its better to be short than long (most of the time)

I would love to hear any gems that you guys have. Not aiming at the pins seems like its a no brainer but it really helped me out.

cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sign up (or log in) today! It's free (and you won't see this ad anymore)!

Sign up (or log in) today! It's free (and you won't see this ad anymore)!

MS256    145

Let the lie dictate what shot to hit and which club to hit it with instead of picking the club I want to hit and trying to make it work for the lie.

Sounds like a no-brainer but I mess up and break that rule fairly often and see other players mess it up even more than I do. Comes into play mostly from 50 yards and in. I usually break that rule when I think I am playing well enough to do whatever I want to do (only to find out I wasn't).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Teamanglerx    10

One of the key ones I have been using is "Every shot is playable".  I have been in this mode where I have mentally put pressure on myself to force shots and make them instead of letting the shot happen naturally (which has more success).  It also keeps my frustration level down when I make a bad shot because I know that even if it is not the best situation, the shot is still playable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

turtleback    484

If you find yourself in trouble, make sure you are NOT in trouble on your next shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

phan52    145
Originally Posted by MissouriHack

What are the rules that you set for yourself that help you too go low in a round? Were do you apply them? What happens if you break them?

Uphill putts don't break as much as down hill putts.

Actually that is incorrect, from my experience. As uphill putts die, they will break significantly more than dying downhill putts. I just try to get a downhill putt in line, while uphill putts require more of an understanding of the necessary pace because they WILL break without it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fourputt    922
Originally Posted by phan52

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissouriHack

What are the rules that you set for yourself that help you too go low in a round? Were do you apply them? What happens if you break them?

Uphill putts don't break as much as down hill putts.

Actually that is incorrect, from my experience. As uphill putts die, they will break significantly more than dying downhill putts. I just try to get a downhill putt in line, while uphill putts require more of an understanding of the necessary pace because they WILL break without it.

Yep.  This is a common misconception.  Up hill breaking putts will break dramatically as they die.  How much break you play depends on how aggressively you hit the ball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

zipazoid    266

Your best chip is your worst putt - When deciding what to do when just off the green. Putt it.

Every putt has break - While not technically true, I try to discern 'some' kind of break in every putt so I have more of the hole to work with.

When in doubt, overplay the break - A putt that breaks below the hole never goes in.

Don't fall in love with the line - Once you got the line, forget it. Concentrate on the stroke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

David in FL    1,521
If you find yourself in trouble, make sure you are NOT in trouble on your next shot.

Similar to this...... Don't follow a bad shot with a stupid shot!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

hammerhead    2
Originally Posted by zipazoid

Your best chip is your worst putt - When deciding what to do when just off the green. Putt it.

Every putt has break - While not technically true, I try to discern 'some' kind of break in every putt so I have more of the hole to work with.

When in doubt, overplay the break - A putt that breaks below the hole never goes in.

Don't fall in love with the line - Once you got the line, forget it. Concentrate on the stroke.

But it can lead to a side hill putt for par.If it is below the hole you usually have a straight uphill putt left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by phan52

Actually that is incorrect, from my experience. As uphill putts die, they will break significantly more than dying downhill putts. I just try to get a downhill putt in line, while uphill putts require more of an understanding of the necessary pace because they WILL break without it.

around 2:30, just in case you don't want to watch the hole thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

boil3rmak3r    22
- Have a consistent and quick preshot routine which includes visualizing your shot. Do this EVERY time. - Hit it and forget it. I find that I play better if I don't think about my last shot or my next shot until I walk up to my ball. - On missed GIR's, have confidence and an expectation that you can get it up and down. Short game practice is critical... If you hit enough pitches, chips, and sub-six footers while you practice, getting up and down often should become an expectation. - Don't dwell on your score. Play one shot at a time. I've gotten better at this the last few years. If I had an early double or a string of bogies, I used to almost shut down and go through the motions, not caring, the rest of the round. It is a natural tendency that I have worked to try to get away from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

phan52    145

Quote:

Originally Posted by phan52

Actually that is incorrect, from my experience. As uphill putts die, they will break significantly more than dying downhill putts. I just try to get a downhill putt in line, while uphill putts require more of an understanding of the necessary pace because they WILL break without it.

Originally Posted by MissouriHack

around 2:30, just in case you don't want to watch the hole thing.

That makes no sense. As he said, "uphill, my speed is really important." Why? Because without the proper speed, the ball will break too much (or not enough).

I can go to the fastest green on my golf course and I can putt a ball 10 feet downhill and 10 feet uphill. The green has a slight bias to the right on the uphill putt, and I have to play the ball a good cup to the left of the hole. If it misses the hole, it will invariably end up on the other side of the hole because of the break when the ball slows down. On the downhill putt, If I play it more than on the edge, no matter how hard I hit it, it has no chance of going in the hole and it will never get to the other side of the hole at any point.

This guy is talking about variables like "imperfections in the green". Well, the number one variable is the speed. There is far more variables of speed on the uphill putt. You just have to get the downhill putt moving on the proper line and the line is much easier to discern. It is just gravity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

zipazoid    266
Originally Posted by hammerhead

But it can lead to a side hill putt for par.If it is below the hole you usually have a straight uphill putt left.

True.

So if your intent on the putt is to make the next one easier then your point is valid.

If, however, you're trying the make the putt, I like my strategy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

phan52    145

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammerhead

But it can lead to a side hill putt for par.If it is below the hole you usually have a straight uphill putt left.

Originally Posted by zipazoid

True.

So if your intent on the putt is to make the next one easier then your point is valid.

If, however, you're trying the make the putt, I like my strategy.

I was playing with a +2 handicapper a few weeks ago and I hit a difficult sidehill putt that broke below the hole, and I noted that I was relieved that it stopped and left me about a four foot, straight, uphill putt. He laughed and said, "weren't you trying to make it?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

boogielicious    1,159
Originally Posted by phan52

Actually that is incorrect, from my experience. As uphill putts die, they will break significantly more than dying downhill putts. I just try to get a downhill putt in line, while uphill putts require more of an understanding of the necessary pace because they WILL break without it.

Are you talking straight up and straight down?  If you are talking at some angle to the slope, 30, 45, 60 degrees for example, the downhill putt will have an overall break of much more than the same uphill putt with the same angle to the slope.  It will start breaking right away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

dbuck    48
Any putt will break more as it loses speed, uphill or down. Thing with a true uphill putt and especially a short one, is that the back of the cup is higher than the front, and you can hit the putt a little firmer, taking out some of the break. The higher back lip acts as a backstop. On a downhill putt, the opposite is true--the back of the lip is lower than the front. Absent the "backstop", the downhill putt must not carry as much speed at the hole and thereby breaks more because it must be struck a little less firm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2017 TST Partners

    Talamore Golf Resort
    PING Golf
    FlightScope Mevo
    Mission Belt
    Snell Golf
    Frogger Golf
    PitchFix USA
  • Posts

    • Clearly it's a lot of both, but I've always wondered that if golf is such a mental game, why do players only seem to practice the physical side.  And how does one even practice the mental side?  I've known a few players, not that many, who didn't have the most athletic or orthodox swings but were really consistent and knew how to score.  Were they not better golfers than players with long, aesthetic but unreliable swings?   What do these players who learn just enough to hit playable shots know that most golfers don't?   Comments?  Is the game in your head or in your hands, and how does your approach to improving at this game (or the mythical optimal approach) reflect your answer?
    • FWIW he played his third double round in three weeks.  90 and 96.
    • It's a disappointing end (w/ or w/o "closure"), but I've got no hate for Dan. Yea, even w/ the same final outcome he could have handled things better to the people following him. But really it never cost me anything and I was entertained when he was still at it (regardless of any issues w/ his approach to the project and/or how he portrayed it). He also made it easy to follow his story... I remember checking out his stats page every few months, and it was kinda fun to just see it. I'd prob still give it a google if I heard he was trying for the Senior tour in the future.
    • I had 2 in my last round on thick and grainy poa annua greens.  Both were from over 30 ft.  One was uphill and against the grain.  I thought I hit it hard enough to get there but came up 10 ft short.  I was first to putt so didn't get a read on the grain.  The other was a left to right breaker and I didn't realize the grain was also running that way.  Ended up about 10 ft below the hole. 
    • I agree with @Buckeyebowman. I was practising my swing on the range yesterday and was putting some business card in front of the ball. Very pure ballstriking almost no mishits, straight ballflight I swept the card away every the time. I was focusing on my swing and the card. Then we got on the court. First hole perfect ball striking I was able to focus behind the ball and on my swing.  Then second hole I made a mistake with my driver (know the reason now). But anyway my confidence was getting smaller. 200m to the hole. So I got my hybrid out "I have to hit this ball 200m very hard now". I still tried to focus behind the ball and the shot was OK. But far from perfect. From now on from hole to hole ball striking got worse. At the end I even hit in the ground in front of the ball with my sand wedge which never has happened to me before. My head was going "You have to hit this ball now!" No loose swings as on the range before. And no thinking about the loose swing going to the target. The more frustrated I got the more I focussed on the ball. I was noticing in the end I was focussing in front of the ball and on my swing but when I made the actual downswing my eyes got back to the ball which leaded to terrible shots. I noticed the eyes really jumped.  What this means to me. I have to practise to change my focus now every time on the range and make this a priority. I also tried widening my focus which really helped. But its a different task to this on the actual court it seems.
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Blog Entries

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Dresilved
      Dresilved
      (52 years old)
    2. kpetrina
      kpetrina
      (25 years old)
    3. Luana
      Luana
      (39 years old)
  • Get Great Gear with Amazon