IGNORED

2013 NFL Football

Golfingdad
Note: This thread is 3752 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Look ... I fully get that they are taking one extra small gamble here than they are when they hold it in a dome or the south, but I'm thinking it's a risk that is being A) blown out of proportion, and B) going to provide a decent reward at the end.  I think its going to be a success.

We'll see, I guess. But the logistics will be the most difficult ever, even without bad weather. The game is being marketed as a NY Super Bowl when, in reality, it is 15-20 miles away from midtown Manhattan in North Jersey. The parking lot around the stadium will be used almost strictly for high-end hospitality tents and such so there will be no parking nearby. They will have remote parking where they will charge a minimum of $50 to take a bus from a lot that will charge upwards of $100. Buses from midtown Manhattan the day of the game will cost a mortgage payment. I love visiting NY, but I wouldn't want to be anywhere near it that week, even if my team was in the game.

This will be a very costly event, beyond the means of most football fans.

Bill M

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

We'll see, I guess. But the logistics will be the most difficult ever, even without bad weather. The game is being marketed as a NY Super Bowl when, in reality, it is 15-20 miles away from midtown Manhattan in North Jersey. The parking lot around the stadium will be used almost strictly for high-end hospitality tents and such so there will be no parking nearby. They will have remote parking where they will charge a minimum of $50 to take a bus from a lot that will charge upwards of $100. Buses from midtown Manhattan the day of the game will cost a mortgage payment. I love visiting NY, but I wouldn't want to be anywhere near it that week, even if my team was in the game. This will be a very costly event, beyond the means of most football fans.

You have tickets? That's awesome.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

I love football and will always watch the Superbowl regardless of who is playing.  Given that, I have zero desire to actually be at the game.  This game has too many extra items to appease the non-football masses and I think with that and the expense, I would pass.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

We'll see, I guess. But the logistics will be the most difficult ever, even without bad weather. The game is being marketed as a NY Super Bowl when, in reality, it is 15-20 miles away from midtown Manhattan in North Jersey. The parking lot around the stadium will be used almost strictly for high-end hospitality tents and such so there will be no parking nearby. They will have remote parking where they will charge a minimum of $50 to take a bus from a lot that will charge upwards of $100. Buses from midtown Manhattan the day of the game will cost a mortgage payment. I love visiting NY, but I wouldn't want to be anywhere near it that week, even if my team was in the game.

This will be a very costly event, beyond the means of most football fans.

All of that might be true, but I'm under the impression that the logistics are no different than they have been for a lot of recent Super Bowls in any town.  A couple of observations:

- It's $51 to take the bus from Madison Square Park.  Not cheap, but not exactly "a mortgage payment."  And considering those people likely already paid 4 figures for their game tickets, its a drop in the bucket.

- Who, in their right mind, rents a car when visiting NYC anyways???  Thats nuts!!  I wouldn't for one second, consider anything but public transportation if I was going to the game.

And again ... the statement "This will be a very costly event, beyond the means of most football fans." has been true of every Super Bowl for several years now.  Heck, that is practically true of a lot of REGULAR SEASON games in some of the newer stadiums.

Oh, and here's a link I found from Super Bowl 46 in Indianapolis. http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/nationnow/2012/01/399-for-super-bowl-parking-and-still-a-20-minute-walk.html $399 parking to tailgate and "only" have to walk 20 minutes to get to the game.  Reinforces my belief that you guys are way over-dramatizing the negative aspects of this Super Bowl in comparison to previous Super Bowls.

Oh stop @Golfingdad -This Super Bowl will be just as bad as the US Open at Merion-according to phan. Dont you know he knows all?[quote name="Golfingdad" url="/t/69880/2013-nfl-football/504#post_928723"] Oh, and here's a link I found from Super Bowl 46 in Indianapolis.  [URL=http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/nationnow/2012/01/399-for-super-bowl-parking-and-still-a-20-minute-walk.html]http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/nationnow/2012/01/399-for-super-bowl-parking-and-still-a-20-minute-walk.html[/URL]  $399 parking to tailgate and "only" have to walk 20 minutes to get to the game.  Reinforces my belief that you guys are way over-dramatizing the negative aspects of this Super Bowl in comparison to previous Super Bowls. [/quote] Ive been to eight super Bowls.-Seven were a long time ago when there were still empty seats in the stands. One was six or seven years ago because a friend had tickets.-Never again. Even with free tickets it cost me a few thousand bucks after hotel, parking, transpo......

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

I love football and will always watch the Superbowl regardless of who is playing.  Given that, I have zero desire to actually be at the game.  This game has too many extra items to appease the non-football masses and I think with that and the expense, I would pass.

I totally agree.  I'd go if my team was playing, but that's about it.  I just figured that if Phan's biggest complaint about the NY superbowl was the logistics of actually getting there, I figured he must be one of the 80,000 in the stands.  I can't imagine why the other 100 million people who watch from home would care about that at all.

All of that might be true, but I'm under the impression that the logistics are no different than they have been for a lot of recent Super Bowls in any town.  A couple of observations:

- It's $51 to take the bus from Madison Square Park.  Not cheap, but not exactly "a mortgage payment."  And considering those people likely already paid 4 figures for their game tickets, its a drop in the bucket.

- Who, in their right mind, rents a car when visiting NYC anyways???  Thats nuts!!  I wouldn't for one second, consider anything but public transportation if I was going to the game.

And again ... the statement "This will be a very costly event, beyond the means of most football fans." has been true of every Super Bowl for several years now.  Heck, that is practically true of a lot of REGULAR SEASON games in some of the newer stadiums.

Oh, and here's a link I found from Super Bowl 46 in Indianapolis.  http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/nationnow/2012/01/399-for-super-bowl-parking-and-still-a-20-minute-walk.html  $399 parking to tailgate and "only" have to walk 20 minutes to get to the game.  Reinforces my belief that you guys are way over-dramatizing the negative aspects of this Super Bowl in comparison to previous Super Bowls.

I would actually think that NY is better equipped to handle it than most cities.  Its close to multiple major airports, hotels, etc., and there is a well developed public transit system that's used to moved huge numbers of people.

Think about the World Series--particularly the 2000.  About 55k people for each of five games.  Some on weeknights.  Three of them on long island--so you've got everyone either taking trains or having to go over one (probably 2) of only a few bridges, and two in the Bronx.  The entire city much more consumed in that than it will be the super bowl.

The super bowl attracts more people, and particularly out of towners, but I bet NY is as well equiped to handle it as anyone else.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

I would actually think that NY is better equipped to handle it than most cities.  Its close to multiple major airports, hotels, etc., and there is a well developed public transit system that's used to moved huge numbers of people.

Think about the World Series--particularly the 2000.  About 55k people for each of five games.  Some on weeknights.  Three of them on long island--so you've got everyone either taking trains or having to go over one (probably 2) of only a few bridges, and two in the Bronx.  The entire city much more consumed in that than it will be the super bowl.

The super bowl attracts more people, and particularly out of towners, but I bet NY is as well equiped to handle it as anyone else.

Yes!!!!  If your city is getting bombarded with 8 billion rabid football fans, how is it not a good thing that your city already never sleeps, has 9 kajillion hotel rooms, and the best mass transit system on the continent???

The last Super Bowl in San Diego was, I think, Green Bay and New England, and all I remember was that city turned into one giant wheel of cheese for that entire week.  ;)

I don't know, maybe its just me or the fact that I don't live that far from NY, but if the NFL wanted to go the cold weather route then, as a football fan, I would have much rather seen them go totally old school and pick a stadium like Lambeau. Not exactly sure many people have spending thousands of dollars to go to North Jersey in February on their bucket list.

• Administrator
I don't know, maybe its just me or the fact that I don't live that far from NY, but if the NFL wanted to go the cold weather route then, as a football fan, I would have much rather seen them go totally old school and pick a stadium like Lambeau. Not exactly sure many people have spending thousands of dollars to go to North Jersey in February on their bucket list.

I'm pretty sure that'll you'll be proven wrong on that one… Do you expect the NFL to have a flop of a Super Bowl because it's in one of the largest and highest ranked "destination" cities in the world?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I totally agree.  I'd go if my team was playing, but that's about it.  I just figured that if Phan's biggest complaint about the NY superbowl was the logistics of actually getting there, I figured he must be one of the 80,000 in the stands.  I can't imagine why the other 100 million people who watch from home would care about that at all.

Not completely disagreeing, but a few points;

1. MetLife is in NJ, Yankee Stadium is in the Bronx, the mass transit is better equipped to get people to the Bronx.
  2. Majority of playoff and WS tickets goes to Yankee season ticket holders and NY'ers, minority of SB tickets will be sold to NY/NJ residents
  3. SB is one game and the biggest sports spectacle in the US, there is a lot more media coverage for SB than WS. which means more news / television crews

Joe Paradiso

I'm pretty sure that'll you'll be proven wrong on that one… Do you expect the NFL to have a flop of a Super Bowl because it's in one of the largest and highest ranked "destination" cities in the world?

Seriously.  People keep trying to reference the fact that it's in New Jersey to make it sound less desirable.  As if there's a giant wall down the middle of the Hudson.  Or an ogre standing at the beginning of the Holland Tunnel.  "Nope, sorry folks, nothing to see here.  Nothing to do here.  Just turn around, go to the Holiday Inn Express in Paramus, enjoy the continental breakfast and free full service gas stations, and oh, good luck getting on and off "the 17" :-P while cars are whizzing by at 9,000 miles an hour and you're coming out of a DRIVEWAY!!"

Originally Posted by newtogolf

MetLife is in NJ, Yankee Stadium is in the Bronx, the mass transit is better equipped to get people to the Bronx.

Majority of playoff and WS tickets goes to Yankee season ticket holders and NY'ers, minority of SB tickets will be sold to NY/NJ residents

SB is one game and the biggest sports spectacle in the US, there is a lot more media coverage for SB than WS. which means more news / television crews

Yes, you are right about 1 ... but you should still consider that the comparison needs to be made in relation to other possible host cities.  The subway to Yankee Stadium is more convenient than the buses to Metlife, but the buses to Metlife are going to be quite similar to the buses to Qualcomm or Joe Robbie (don't remember the new name) or the Superdome, I imagine.

And 2 and 3 are not at all unique to this Super Bowl and this year.  If any city can handle the influx of people, and news, and television crews more than any other ... wouldn't you think that New York would be that city???

Oh, I have no doubt they will have zillions upon zillions of people attending (like they do every year) and it will be a huge success, but I'd also wager that if you asked the actual fans of the teams at the game (forgetting about the corporate types, they'll go anywhere) if they'd rather be in say New Orleans or Miami for that week, most would probably say yes...I know I would, but I'm from Philadelphia and we're taught to hate all things New York from a very young age (just look at my avatar).

MetLife is in NJ, Yankee Stadium is in the Bronx, the mass transit is better equipped to get people to the Bronx.

Majority of playoff and WS tickets goes to Yankee season ticket holders and NY'ers, minority of SB tickets will be sold to NY/NJ residents

SB is one game and the biggest sports spectacle in the US, there is a lot more media coverage for SB than WS. which means more news / television crews

Yeah, those are all good points.  The Superbowl is bigger and people come from further, and thus are more reliant on public transport.

Is Metlife on the same grounds as the old Giant Stadium?  Its been a while since i've been to a Giants game, but isn't that an enormous complex with a race track and the Devil's arena right next door?  Seems like there

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

Quote:

Originally Posted by iacas

Oh, I have no doubt they will have zillions upon zillions of people attending (like they do every year) and it will be a huge success, but I'd also wager that if you asked the actual fans of the teams at the game (forgetting about the corporate types, they'll go anywhere) if they'd rather be in say New Orleans or Miami for that week, most would probably say yes...I know I would, but I'm from Philadelphia and we're taught to hate all things New York from a very young age (just look at my avatar).

Not sure why people hate on New York for this time of year.  I think its beautiful in the winter.  I'd much rather be in New York in February than in August. ;)  I can add layers all day long if needed, but when the heat and humidity kick in, not much can be done about that.

@dsc123 go check out google maps!  I just went there to see the stadium, and you can actually see how close it is to the old stadium (basically touching) because whenever they took those satellite images they were still demolishing the old one.  Looks pretty cool! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by iacas

Isn't "gang green" a nickname for the jets?

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

@dsc123 go check out google maps!  I just went there to see the stadium, and you can actually see how close it is to the old stadium (basically touching) because whenever they took those satellite images they were still demolishing the old one.  Looks pretty cool! :)

Good idea.

View Larger Map

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

Note: This thread is 3752 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!