IGNORED

Declaring an unplayable lie

dennyjones
Note: This thread is 3890 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I played Sunday at a local course and was playing well until I hit a sand trap like they have in Scotland. I couldn't see over the trap to the green. It took me three shots to clear the trap. Later I was thinking about the round and was wondering if it is legal or logical to take an unplayable lie from a sand trap.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't think you can take your unplayable out of the trap, you need to take your relief from the unplayable lie within the sand trap.

Edit* sorry, that's confusing. What I mean is you can declare the ball unplayable and move it no nearer the hole but you must remain in the hazard. At least, that is my understanding.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I played Sunday at a local course and was playing well until I hit a sand trap like they have in Scotland. I couldn't see over the trap to the green. It took me three shots to clear the trap. Later I was thinking about the round and was wondering if it is legal or logical to take an unplayable lie from a sand trap.

it is certainly allowed and occasionally the best option

Just remember, you're still required to drop in the bunker.  You may not remove the ball from the bunker, unless you opt to replay at the spot from which you played your last shot (stroke and distance).

Rule 28 applies....

If the player deems his ball to be unplayable, he must, under penalty of one stroke:

a. Proceed under the stroke and distance provision of Rule 27-1 by playing a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5 ); or

b. Drop a ball behind the point where the ball lay, keeping that point directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with no limit to how far behind that point the ball may be dropped; or

c. Drop a ball within two club-lengths of the spot where the ball lay, but not nearer the hole .

If the unplayable ball is in a bunker , the player may proceed under Clause a, b or c. If he elects to proceed under Clause b or c, a ball must be dropped in the bunker .

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

There are three options for unplayable. Play from the previous spot (does not need to be in the bunker), Within two club lengths no nearer the hole (must stay in the bunker), or as far back in the bunker as you like keeping the spot where the ball came to rest between you and the hole.

Let's say you were in on 2. Then 3, 4, 5 out. Or, go back and rehit where you hit from on your second as your forth, and you have 2 shots to get to where your 3rd try out of the bunker ended up.

Rarely would that be the logical play, as even in the deep pot bunkers, you'd hope to get out in two...but it's a legal option.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

The situation of declaring a second bunker shot unplayable but not being able to drop outside is called a Hamlet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81VUHm6JEj4

Dang, I wish I had been aware of that special "rule" when I played in Scotland this past July.

Brian Kuehn

And you must drop the ball. In many bunkers that increases the odds of a plugged/bad/buried lie.

Seen and done it when the ball is really unplayable -- such as nearly buried and under the lip with no chance of moving the ball in any direction. In Scotland, many bunker shots are aimed away from the hole in an effort to get the ball out.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

I should have taken the A option last week. Could not see where to go as many jungle canyons lurking everywhere. Needed about 125 to get clear next shot but popped one only 100, into a bunker with big lip. Still could not see where  or how far. Took 2 to get out. I could called 'unplayable', gone back to original spot, used the 9i, and maybe saved a stroke. A bit of an ego buster to take the unplayable from the bunker, however.

In the heat of the moment after a bad shot, or even a bad break, I often forget about the option of going back and re-hitting.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Note: This thread is 3890 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!