IGNORED

What's the most you've paid for a round of golf (all included)

skywaterbanjo
Note: This thread is 3872 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Bought a round at Winged Foot in a charity auction. Three of us paid $1200 to play with a member. After we paid for our caddies (and the member's caddie) it came out to a little more than $500.00 each. Played it a couple weeks before the US Amateur in 2004, so it had some teeth. Well worth it to play a historic track at it's best. (also worth it because it was for charity).

Bill M

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

We clearly have a full range of disposable income levels here.  The only way anyone could justify the price they ask for Pebble is if he is in a very different income bracket than I am.

You might spend more on food. Or housing. Or something else.

Rich, you constantly do this in these kinds of threads - imposing your values as if they're the values of all, and completely failing to understand and appreciate that others can have different values and viewpoints. Some people will "save their birthday money" (so to speak) to play at Pebble Beach ONE TIME. You saved enough to retire to the Bahamas. Good for you - but you come off as incredibly (something) when you say things like "paying that much creeps me out." Other people place different values on different things. Your failure to grasp this after 60+ years on Earth is astounding.

That's pretty much what I said.  I said we have differing levels of disposable income.  How how that income is disposed of is also different.  What's the big deal?  I said I wouldn't pay that much for a round of golf at Pebble Beach, and I doubt I would even if I had the income for it.  It simply doesn't mean anything to me.

The Old Course is a different story.  St. Andrews is steeped in golf history, and that is something I love.  If I ever get to Scotland, that is on the top of my very short bucket list.  At the $300 you mentioned, I'd do it.  If it gets too much higher, then I'd probably have to think hard about how much it means vs. what else I can do with the money (meaning that I could play several Scottish links courses for the same outlay).  But first I'd have to get to Scotland, and at the moment I have no such plans.

I never really questioned anyone's values, only stated that I couldn't see the value in it.  If someone wants to save his vacation money for years to play one round at Pebble, that's his privilege.  He simply has a very different idea of how to dispose of his disposable income than I do.  I guess it's not so much a case of the amount, but how one chooses to use it.  When I see a person driving a $60,000 car, it's obvious to me that he either has more money than I do, or he values his ride (or his image) a lot more than I do.  It's no different than choosing where one plays golf.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

• Administrator
:doh: More tk.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I've never spent over $80, though I did play a course in Nashville that was $110 (I believe) but I had a received a gift card for a free round as a gift from my aunt.

I think about $300 would be the max for me. I would love to play some of these high level courses, TPC Sawgrass in particular, but I think going over $300 would make it more difficult to enjoy the round. I would have to play awfully slow and really try to make the most of the experience if I went over that... I say that to say this, if you went and stood me on the tee box of Pebble Beach, I would have a REAL hard time not pulling out the wallet. I would just be wondering why I paid so much the entire round.

My grandfather played Pebble Beach and Torrey Pines back in the 80's. He carried those memories with him to his grave, and always welcomed an opportunity to talk about the time he walked down the 18th and Pebble Beach. I don't know what it cost him, but in hindsight, he could have paid 10 times that amount and it still would have been worth it.

We clearly have a full range of disposable income levels here.  The only way anyone could justify the price they ask for Pebble is if he is in a very different income bracket than I am.  I'm living in a nice house on a 2 acre lot right on the beach in the Bahamas, yet the thought of paying more than $500 for a single round of golf just creeps me out.  And that doesn't count the cost of food and lodging and getting there.

A few weeks ago, my brother and I played golf for 7 days on premium courses in Colorado for less than the cost of one round at Pebble.  I'll stick to watching it on TV.

I hear you.

I settled on taking my brother (was terminally ill with cancer, now RIP) to Pasatiempo.   Financially, I could take him to Pebble Beach but he would have refused it.  He knew how much it'd cost me and would not be comfortable with the idea.    He didn't play well at Pasa that day which soured his experience with the course.   Several years later before he passed away, he told me he enjoyed the outing & liked the course ... and that made me happy.     A year before his passing, I promised him to take him to Pebble Beach if he gets better.   Obviously, that didn't happen.  I think there are reasons that one would spend $500 on a golf round regardless of their income level.   I've just listed one.

My brother is the one who took me to my very first golf round and I regret that I didn't play with him more before his illness took over his body.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

• Administrator

I said we have differing levels of disposable income.

That isn't necessarily the case, no. Not everyone with the SAME level of income as you, or the SAME level of disposable income as you, places the same values on it as you. That's what you continually fail to convey that you understand.

Someone might even make LESS than you and have LESS disposable income than you, but be willing to pay $1000 to play Pebble Beach. That doesn't mean they're a bad person or make bad choices. It's just their personal value judgment.

I wouldn't pay that much for a round of golf at Pebble Beach, and I doubt I would even if I had the income for it.  It simply doesn't mean anything to me.

Your posts on this topic always come off as though your values are the same as everyone's, and anyone who spends that much on a round anywhere is foolish or stupid or "must be rich" or something.

The Old Course is a different story.

See? For some, Pebble Beach "is a different story."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

That's pretty much what I said.  I said we have differing levels of disposable income.  How how that income is disposed of is also different.  What's the big deal?  I said I wouldn't pay that much for a round of golf at Pebble Beach, and I doubt I would even if I had the income for it.  It simply doesn't mean anything to me.

The Old Course is a different story.  St. Andrews is steeped in golf history, and that is something I love.  If I ever get to Scotland, that is on the top of my very short bucket list.  At the $300 you mentioned, I'd do it.  If it gets too much higher, then I'd probably have to think hard about how much it means vs. what else I can do with the money (meaning that I could play several Scottish links courses for the same outlay).  But first I'd have to get to Scotland, and at the moment I have no such plans.

I never really questioned anyone's values, only stated that I couldn't see the value in it.  If someone wants to save his vacation money for years to play one round at Pebble, that's his privilege.  He simply has a very different idea of how to dispose of his disposable income than I do.  I guess it's not so much a case of the amount, but how one chooses to use it.  When I see a person driving a $60,000 car, it's obvious to me that he either has more money than I do, or he values his ride (or his image) a lot more than I do.  It's no different than choosing where one plays golf.

I think you need to relook into your definition of "very."  $500 for one round at Pebble (plus travel and lodging) versus $300 for one round at St. Andrews (plus travel and lodging) is not "very" different.  When you factor in that each person has to get to each of these places ... for arguments sake, coming from the Bahamas, it's going to be $2500 versus $2300 or something like that.  Point being, it is certainly something other than "very" different.

You are in awe of the Old Course ... that's cool, so am I.  I would absolutely pay the $300 to play there once.  I am equally in awe (or close to it) of Pebble and will absolutely pay the $500 one of these to play there once as well.

Related note:  Circumstances also factor in.  Based on a lot of responses in this thread, I regularly pay more for an average round of golf, than a lot of people here EVER have.  And that has nothing to do with the quantity of my disposable income, and everything to do with the fact that decent courses near me cost 80-100. :(

Oh, and to answer the OP ... I believe it was the last time the wife and I were in Hawaii, I played Waikoloa (Big Island) and I want to say that they charged me something like $140 or so (along with $25 or $30 rider fee for my wife, if that counts).  But before I die ... the answer will absolutely be $500, cuz I'm playing Pebble someday!!

I think you need to relook into your definition of "very."  $500 for one round at Pebble (plus travel and lodging) versus $300 for one round at St. Andrews (plus travel and lodging) is not "very" different.  When you factor in that each person has to get to each of these places ... for arguments sake, coming from the Bahamas, it's going to be $2500 versus $2300 or something like that.  Point being, it is certainly something other than "very" different.

You are in awe of the Old Course ... that's cool, so am I.  I would absolutely pay the $300 to play there once.  I am equally in awe (or close to it) of Pebble and will absolutely pay the $500 one of these to play there once as well.

Related note:  Circumstances also factor in.  Based on a lot of responses in this thread, I regularly pay more for an average round of golf, than a lot of people here EVER have.  And that has nothing to do with the quantity of my disposable income, and everything to do with the fact that decent courses near me cost 80-100. :(

Oh, and to answer the OP ... I believe it was the last time the wife and I were in Hawaii, I played Waikoloa (Big Island) and I want to say that they charged me something like $140 or so (along with $25 or $30 rider fee for my wife, if that counts).  But before I die ... the answer will absolutely be $500, cuz I'm playing Pebble someday!!

I am retired and, fortunately, in a position to use my 'disposable' income to take advantage of places that I vacation and play some amazing rounds of golf.  Some people buy great wine, some people buy retirement homes in the Atlantic.  Me, I like to play different golf courses that are challenging, well-maintained, and scenic.  Yep, those usually cost more than my $24 municipal course. I would love to play the Old Course but, with the price of an plane ticket, it would be WAY more than Pebble was.

GolfingDad, I'm glad you understand where I am coming from.

Mark in Colorado

That isn't necessarily the case, no. Not everyone with the SAME level of income as you, or the SAME level of disposable income as you, places the same values on it as you. That's what you continually fail to convey that you understand.

Someone might even make LESS than you and have LESS disposable income than you, but be willing to pay $1000 to play Pebble Beach. That doesn't mean they're a bad person or make bad choices. It's just their personal value judgment.

Your posts on this topic always come off as though your values are the same as everyone's, and anyone who spends that much on a round anywhere is foolish or stupid or "must be rich" or something.

See? For some, Pebble Beach "is a different story."

I've had a couple people flip out and accuse me of this type of thing before also and it always surprises me that someone could be so dense.  I think I've narrowed it down to how it happens though.  When I make an observation or state an opinion the majority of the time I won't say "I think..." instead I'll just say what I think.  Like this..  "Golf sucks" and "I think golf sucks".  I don't think it's necessary to qualify the statement with "I think" because honestly, what the hell else am I doing?  Knitting?  But when people hear "golf sucks" they may think I'm commanding them to accept the idea that golf sucks and get mad and accuse me of trying to impose my views on them.  The idea that someone would go around telling people things and expect those people to just instantly believe them is hilarious to me and sounds like a plot from a Seinfeld episode... but based on a couple of my own experiences it seems a few people out there actually believe that's what's going on.

Anyway. the point of this is I think the guy dogging on the expensive rounds was just stating an opinion without actually saying it was opinion.  I mean that's where the confusion in the bolded part above is coming from, right?  If he had said "I think it's nuts to pay XYZ dollars for a round of golf!" would you still be busting his balls?  I bet not.

Quality over quantity.

Depends on the situation.  If you're on vacation and can choose to play 7 courses or Augusta once then of course you're choosing Augusta, but during the average days of my year I'm definitely choosing quantity over quality, or in most cases "high quantity at high quality over low quantity at very high quality" (don't want to play goat tracks of course).  You could be referring to a vacation type scenario though and in that case I agree.

I haven't paid more than like 80 all in for any trip for golfing, more because I've not had any opportunity to go to a nice course that would cost more. Also, until recently I wouldn't have had the income to do it anyway.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

No way.  I'd rather play a well maintained $30 course x 20 over one big name $600 course any day of the week.

I am pretty much the same, I don't think I've spent 600 yet myself this year total. I can't imagine spending more on one day on the course than I've spent all year. Now that could change given a change of income and/or a once in a lifetime opportunity presented to me.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I've had a couple people flip out and accuse me of this type of thing before also and it always surprises me that someone could be so dense.  I think I've narrowed it down to how it happens though.  When I make an observation or state an opinion the majority of the time I won't say "I think..." instead I'll just say what I think.  Like this..  "Golf sucks" and "I think golf sucks".  I don't think it's necessary to qualify the statement with "I think" because honestly, what the hell else am I doing?  Knitting?  But when people hear "golf sucks" they may think I'm commanding them to accept the idea that golf sucks and get mad and accuse me of trying to impose my views on them.  The idea that someone would go around telling people things and expect those people to just instantly believe them is hilarious to me and sounds like a plot from a Seinfeld episode... but based on a couple of my own experiences it seems a few people out there actually believe that's what's going on.

Anyway. the point of this is I think the guy dogging on the expensive rounds was just stating an opinion without actually saying it was opinion.  I mean that's where the confusion in the bolded part above is coming from, right?  If he had said "I think it's nuts to pay XYZ dollars for a round of golf!" would you still be busting his balls?  I bet not.

Even if you preface your opinion with "I think," there will be posters who are intent on taking your opinion apart for whatever their reasons are.   One may be a perfectionist and/or can't lose an argument, and yet another poster may just be obnoxious.      The ones I least appreciate are posters putting words in another's mouth to boost their position.

Now back to the original topic ... methinks, if you can afford to spend top dollar on a round, knock yourself out and make it worth it.    Pebble Beach here I come ... next year, maybe.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

well, obviously, whatever people here THINK disposable income is- there are PLENTY of people who have whatever kind of income to play Pebble whenever they want. If there weren't, it would be easier to get a tee time. With or without staying at the Lodge. Shadow Creek is on my "list", and has been since it opened. But I knew at that time it was an invitation only deal. Wynn asked if you wanted to play- no calling Golfnow for a tee time or even walking up as a single for a quick loop. They have since made it an "event" that you can book in advance. Only a few groups allowed, Limo pickup, lunch and other stuff is included. Last I heard it was running around a grand for the experience. And it wasn't easy to get a slot, so there are people with even MORE whatever kind of income to be coddled and spoiled.

Note: This thread is 3872 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!