IGNORED

Funny Rule/FAQ

Strandly
Note: This thread is 3862 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was browsing the USGA site rules page and came across this and it made me laugh... apparently this happens enough that it warrants a FAQ entry:

Rule 4-3

Club Broken After Slammed in Anger

Q. A player breaks the head off his club as a result of slamming it on the ground in anger, throwing it, or intentionally striking something (e.g. a tree) other than during a stroke, practice stroke, or practice swing.

May the player replace the damaged club before the completion of the stipulated round?

A. No. As the club was damaged other than in the normal course of play, it may not be replaced during the round. See also Decision 4-3/1, Decision 4-3/7 and Decision 4-3/9.

I was browsing the USGA site rules page and came across this and it made me laugh... apparently this happens enough that it warrants a FAQ entry:

Rule 4-3

Club Broken After Slammed in Anger

Q.  A player breaks the head off his club as a result of slamming it on the ground in anger, throwing it, or intentionally striking something (e.g. a tree) other than during a stroke, practice stroke, or practice swing.

May the player replace the damaged club before the completion of the stipulated round?

A.  No. As the club was damaged other than in the normal course of play, it may not be replaced during the round. See also Decision 4-3/1, Decision 4-3/7 and Decision 4-3/9.

This strikes you as unusual?  I've seen it happen with casual golfers and with pros - at least one pro in particular.  I was working as a hole marshal at The International in the driver landing area on the par 5 17th when Baddely hit a 4I second shot into the greenside bunker short of the green.  He was only about 15 feet away from me when he snapped the shaft of the club across his thigh.  We had already received a report that he threw a tantrum on the 14th tee, beating the ground with his driver and tearing up large chunks of the tee box.  He really was a bit of spoiled brat in his younger days on Tour.

I've heard of a number of others who have broken clubs in anger, whether deliberately like Aaron did or accidentally by just whacking something with them.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Do people get mad and break their clubs?

Do professionals?

Does the guy who just won $11.44 million?

Well here is Stenson after hitting his tee shot on the 72nd hole at the BMW Championship

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFZNHuy_N60

Players play, tough players win!

I wonder what would happen if Tennis had a similar rule?  My guess is that not nearly as many guys would slam down and/or destroy their rackets.

I know a guy who double 18 at Riviera CC (home of the L.A. Open) to shoot 68 when he was 17.  He proceeded to fungo his ball with his putter (which had been very good that day) and bent the shaft.  He bent it back that night as he was playing in the So Cal Amateur the next day.  He was playing well the next day but hit his putter either into the ground or against his shoe on the 14th hole and it broke.  He putted with his driver and sand wedge the last 4 holes and shot 69 (and ended up finishing 3rd for the 54 hole tournament).

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

I wonder what would happen if Tennis had a similar rule?  My guess is that not nearly as many guys would slam down and/or destroy their rackets.

Not sure how much tennis you watch, but this isn't all that common.  Probably partially due to the fact that they do have a rule called "racquet abuse" and they will deduct points (or add to the other guy, I don't remember which) each time you do it.  The first one is a warning, I believe.

Not sure how much tennis you watch, but this isn't all that common.  Probably partially due to the fact that they do have a rule called "racquet abuse" and they will deduct points (or add to the other guy, I don't remember which) each time you do it.  The first one is a warning, I believe.

I watch tennis occasionally and am somewhat familiar with the "racquet abuse" penalty, but don't know the specifics.  IIRC, it escalates, being less of a penalty the first time, and more for repeated violations.  You may be right about the first one being a warning which means there isn't a lot of downside to destroying a racquet if you get them for free and have another one handy (although a fine is also possible).

Overall, I would say that I have seen just about as many pro golfers and pro tennis players destroy a club/racquet.

I watch tennis occasionally and am somewhat familiar with the "racquet abuse" penalty, but don't know the specifics.  IIRC, it escalates, being less of a penalty the first time, and more for repeated violations.  You may be right about the first one being a warning which means there isn't a lot of downside to destroying a racquet if you get them for free and have another one handy (although a fine is also possible).

Overall, I would say that I have seen just about as many pro golfers and pro tennis players destroy a club/racquet.

The rules for competitive tennis seem to be overly complicated. They should probably look at modifying them a bit so they are easier to understand and follow.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

The rules for competitive tennis seem to be overly complicated. They should probably look at modifying them a bit so they are easier to understand and follow.

ROFLMAO!!! :dance:

Very subtle kick in the nuts.  Thanks for the great laugh!

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I don't mind if you guys can make yourself laugh at my expense, but don't blame me if every thread turns into a rules debate.  I find it amusing that even when I agree with others about a specific situation or rule, they either think I am disagreeing or actually change their position figuring it must be wrong if I agree with them.

I don't mind if you guys can make yourself laugh at my expense, but don't blame me if every thread turns into a rules debate.  I find it amusing that even when I agree with others about a specific situation or rule, they either think I am disagreeing or actually change their position figuring it must be wrong if I agree with them.

If every thread turns into a rules debate I won't automatically blame you but you will certainly be pretty high on my list of suspects. :-X

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

There are 30 Rules of Tennis plus 9 Appendices

Seems a lot for a game that is played on a fixed size and shaped course.

However, there are very few decisions and they immediately follow the relevant rule.

Actually it is not every thread.  Just the ones you are in.  Because you turn them into rules debates.  Even when the rules don't even apply.  Like your one man scramble. You turn them into rules debates.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Note: This thread is 3862 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!