IGNORED

The Films and Movies Thread

iacas

• Administrator

I watched I, Tonya with the wife tonight.

It's a lip-out par for me. It tells the story primarily from Tonya's side, but the movie might have been a bit better if it had set up the rivalry between Tonya and Nancy in a better way.

After the 1992 Olympics, Nancy Kerrigan was shooting toward fame and getting endorsement deals. Tonya was pissed at that, and the big payday she wanted was being taken by Nancy. Of course, being motivated by money makes Tonya less sympathetic, so… that's probably why they left it out. But they could have set up the rivalry better.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 hours ago, iacas said:

I watched I, Tonya with the wife tonight.

It's a lip-out par for me. It tells the story primarily from Tonya's side, but the movie might have been a bit better if it had set up the rivalry between Tonya and Nancy in a better way.

After the 1992 Olympics, Nancy Kerrigan was shooting toward fame and getting endorsement deals. Tonya was pissed at that, and the big payday she wanted was being taken by Nancy. Of course, being motivated by money makes Tonya less sympathetic, so… that's probably why they left it out. But they could have set up the rivalry better.

Nancy Kerrigan lives 5 miles from me in the next town over. She never really went for the fame after that Olympics and leads a very quiet life here. Sad thing is I was a fan of Harding because of her underdog nature. But her activities since then lead me to believe she was the fame seeker.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Nancy Kerrigan lives 5 miles from me in the next town over. She never really went for the fame after that Olympics and leads a very quiet life here. Sad thing is I was a fan of Harding because of her underdog nature. But her activities since then lead me to believe she was the fame seeker.

I never thought Tonya was the underdog. She was the better skater, the better athlete. Both grew up relatively poor, though Nancy had the "wholesome" thing going for her while Tonya had a bit of the "rebel" thing going.

It was interesting after the Olympics how the press got their pound of flesh from Kerrigan, too. The Mickey Mouse comment, the makeup comment… etc.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The wife and I watched Suicide Squad over the weekend.  Morgot Robbie was fun (and hot) to watch as Harley Quinn, and Will Smith moderately amusing as Deadshot.  Jared Leto was great as The Joker, but his character was so inconsequential and somewhat out of place that I kept wishing he played that role in one of the batman films instead.  Generally a really bad movie with a dumb plot line and poorly directed action scenes. It was like walking away knowing you made a good bogey.

18 minutes ago, Eric C said:

The wife and I watched Suicide Squad over the weekend.  Morgot Robbie was fun (and hot) to watch as Harley Quinn, and Will Smith moderately amusing as Deadshot.  Jared Leto was great as The Joker, but his character was so inconsequential and somewhat out of place that I kept wishing he played that role in one of the batman films instead.  Generally a really bad movie with a dumb plot line and poorly directed action scenes. It was like walking away knowing you made a good bogey.

I agree will smith was alright, but Margot Robbie was really the only reason to watch that movie. What a smokeshow. Other than that, the flick was a waste of my time. 

Edited by Groucho Valentine

• Administrator

Hoosiers, par. It's a bit cheesy.

The Florida Project bloopers and outtakes. Spoilers. NSFW. Moonie is adorkable.

Spoiler

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator

Saw View from the Top, a 2003 stupid movie with a surprisingly deep cast.

Honestly, seriously, I give it a par. It was better than I expected it to be. It wasn't good, but the casting made up for it a bit (Gwyneth Paltrow, Mark Ruffalo, Mike Meyers, Candice Bergen, Christina Applegate, Rob Lowe briefly, Joshua Malina, Kelly Preston… and of course, Gwyneth Paltrow's legs).

• Administrator

I Love You, Beth Cooper, double bogey.

Hayden looked good, though.

Instead of watching the Olympics, I'm just recording just about anything I've never seen on HBO before and just watching them while I do other work. :-)

One of my favorite movies of all time is On Demand on Xfinity, but only until tomorrow. 

Seven Samurai.  

For those of you who aren't familiar with it, it's a 3-1/2 hour epic Japanese movie with English subtitles, filmed in 1954, black and white.  One of the greatest action movies of all time.  It makes all the top movies of all time lists.  Highly recommended. 

Seven Samurai Modern Trailer (not the real trailer, but it'll give you a good idea about the movie)

Edited by Marty2019

• Administrator

That was a good watch, @iacas

Watched American Made last night.  I generally really like a good Tom Cruise movie, but this wasn't one of them.  Pretty boring and slow.  I'll give it a par.

I watched Black Panther yesterday morning.   I give it a birdie.   The movie was fast paced and I didn't feel a lull at any time.    The movie answered questions that were asked about the history of Black Panther.    I liked how Marvel tied it into Civil War.    The CG was pretty amazing.     

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Mary and the Witch's Flower - par, nothing groundbreaking, familiar story, some interesting characters and great animation but a letdown.

Before We Vanish - birdie, again, a retread of a familiar story, but the taking away a concept idea was interesting.

Have a Nice Day - par, was hoping for more social commentary, more of a straight up wild story with wacky characters.

Love French suspense thrillers:

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

It(2017).  I caught this on the plane last night.  Even edited, it was pretty damn creepy.   Giving this an easy birdie.   As awesome as Tim Curry was in the tv miniseries, I really loved the new version more.  

Corey

• Administrator

The Informant, bogey. Just a slog and unfunny.

• Administrator

The Take, par. Better than expected. Robb Stark is a pickpocket.

Black Panther - birdie. I'm tired of superhero movies, this one goes through a lot of familiar moves, but the parallels to today rang true with me plus MBJ is an incredible actor, the whole cast is full of amazing actors, the quippy one liner jokes here felt more organic, it was maybe a little too forced in Ragnarok.

Steve