IGNORED

Pants/Slacks or Shorts??

PapaBear
Note: This thread is 3843 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yo fourputt,

I was a "blue collar" Tool & Die Maker all my working life.

I still adhere to respectful dress criteria. Sorry, I'm not a rebel.

I'm a United States steel worker.blue collar.. Work in a blast furnace I abide by it,..but I don't like it ;-) But I'm there because I love golf for 32 years now..and hopefully 32 more

Like working on the swing,,score means nothing to me. Might just go to the range and give up playing... ( might happen)

Yo fourputt,

I was a "blue collar" Tool & Die Maker all my working life.

I still adhere to respectful dress criteria. Sorry, I'm not a rebel.

That's where we differ. Actions speak to respect, not apparel.  You show respect for the people you play with and for the course and for the game by how you comport yourself, not how you dress.

You show respect for people by taking a good demeanor to the course with you.  You demonstrate respect for other players by practicing good etiquette and being aware of what is happening around you - doing nothing to interfere with other players while they are making a stroke.

You show respect for the facility by adhering to their dress code.  If the code is relaxed, then you are not being disrespectful by wearing more casual apparel.

The course doesn't care beans for how you dress.  To the course it only matters that you fill divot holes and repair ball marks - do nothing that causes damage to the course or diminishes the condition of the course for other players.

You show respect for the game by following the rules of golf and by maintaining a good attitude when playing.  This too does not require any specific clothing.

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That's where we differ. Actions speak to respect, not apparel.  You show respect for the people you play with and for the course and for the game by how you comport yourself, not how you dress.   You show respect for people by taking a good demeanor to the course with you.  You demonstrate respect for other players by practicing good etiquette and being aware of what is happening around you - doing nothing to interfere with other players while they are making a stroke. You show respect for the facility by adhering to their dress code.  If the code is relaxed, then you are not being disrespectful by wearing more casual apparel. The course doesn't care beans for how you dress.  To the course it only matters that you fill divot holes and repair ball marks - do nothing that causes damage to the course or diminishes the condition of the course for other players. You show respect for the game by following the rules of golf and by maintaining a good attitude when playing.  This too does not require any specific clothing.

I've never worn a pair of jeans golfing in my life, but this is 100% right.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

i just keep a pair of pants and/or shorts in my office in case I play after work. I think at alot of clubs the jean ban is to draw the line so to speak. I have seen people show up in jeans covered with oil. also seen dickie work pants too. I guess you just have to know the dress code .

I got in the habit of keeping clothes suitable for golf in my truck at all times. My job was so "blue collar" that it started out blue but was actually black collar, and pants, and everything else by the end of a shift.

Except for the usual huge holes burned in my clothes covered with duct tape.

Even when I was much too tired to play, and had no intention of playing, my truck always got the urge to turn left into the golf course driveway on the way home so changing clothes in the truck was standard procedure.

It would have been embarrassing to even wear my work clothes into the club dressing room to change.

Agree.

If the course allows, the golfer can't howl...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I agree that if a course allows jeans, you arent being disrespectful to your fellow players, the course or the game of golf.  You just look like youre low-class.  If you dont care, thats cool but dont get upset when people treat you like youre trash.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I agree that if a course allows jeans, you arent being disrespectful to your fellow players, the course or the game of golf.  You just look like youre low-class.  If you dont care, thats cool but dont get upset when people treat you like youre trash.

If someone treats me like trash because of the type of pants I am wearing I wouldn't give a damn what they thought anyway. :)

Nor would I want to associate with them.

Jeff

Unbelievable.  Un-f**king-believable.

If someone treats me like trash because of the type of pants I am wearing I wouldn't give a damn what they thought anyway :)

I can remember one instance when I still had my truck and showed up to the range of a somewhat nice course just to hit a bucket of balls.  Before I could even inquire about buying a bucket of balls, the guy in the pro shop says to me, "Ummmm......can I help you with something???"  No joke.  Keep in mind, this was just a nice course in NE Wisconsin.  It wasnt Pebble Beach...

I know of a few courses here in Columbus where Im sure youd be treated the same way if you showed up to play golf in jeans.  Like I said, at the munis no one cares though.

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I can remember one instance when I still had my truck and showed up to the range of a somewhat nice course just to hit a bucket of balls.  Before I could even inquire about buying a bucket of balls, the guy in the pro shop says to me, "Ummmm......can I help you with something???"  No joke.  Keep in mind, this was just a nice course in NE Wisconsin.  It wasnt Pebble Beach...

Was there a dress code at that range/course?  The country club I belong to has a posted dress code for the range/course and I respect that.  However, the few posts above specifically refer to courses that allow jeans, etc.  If they allowed that type of dress code and treated you like that, then I'd never visit that course again.

If they had a posted dress code, then it was still rude behavior and I'd have turned and walked out the door.  There is always a range/golf course that will treat me properly in exchange for my $$.

Either way, I don't care what I am wearing.  If a course treats me disrespectfully because of what I am wearing, then I won't give them my hard earned money.  Just the same as I won't visit shops/stores who have poor customer service.

If someone shows up to a course dressed improperly based on their dress code they can still politely inform them of this information.

Jeff

I agree that I have never worn jeans to a course to play (practice facility are a different matter) I would have to disagree with the quoted statement... I was always taught that you do need to pay respect to the course repairing your divots and such but you pay respect to the game of golf by the way you dress and act. As I have said before I am not much of a slack wearer due mostly to where I live but I still think that it is important to look like you give a hoot when you are on the course. I was taught the same about going to church when I was growing up, God could care less what you are wearing and you won't be asked to leave the church based on what you are wearing but you should show the proper respect for building that you are in. BTW I'm not comparing God/church to golf, I'm just making the point that you dress for the occasion that you are attending. And I am inserting this disclaimer because I know that someone will will try to be a smartass. :)

Was there a dress code at that range/course?  The country club I belong to has a posted dress code for the range/course and I respect that.  However, the few posts above specifically refer to courses that allow jeans, etc.  If they allowed that type of dress code and treated you like that, then I'd never visit that course again.

If they had a posted dress code, then it was rude behavior, but a bit more understandable.

Either way, I don't care what I am wearing.  If a course treats me disrespectfully because of what I am wearing, then I won't give them my hard earned money.  Just the same as I won't visit shops/stores who have poor customer service.

If someone shows up to a course dressed improperly based on their dress code they can still politely inform them of this information.

Nope, no posted dress code.

Nope, no posted dress code.

On a course that permits jeans I doubt anyone would consider you trash for wearing them.

I'm not calling you a liar but I've never been to a course that didn't post some dress code, maybe you didn't see it.  Based on the reaction from the pro, your jeans were not part of it.

Joe Paradiso

You just managed to invalidate anything you might ever say on this board.  If that's how you evaluate people, then all I can feel for you is pity.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Ha, I've seen people wearing jeans on a municipal course, it doesn't bother me, and I don't feel like the person is lower class, but I would never wear them, it did make me think the course managers have lower standards and/or are in need of revenue though!

Gaz Lee

Let us look back to the past and examine "proper" golf dress. The early golfers in Scotland dressed to protect themselves from the weather and wind with knickers and warm tweed jackets. Collared shirts, neckties, and tweed caps were also the norm. As times changed and as the sport expanded so did golfers' dress. The "gentleman's game" became more accessible to the masses and thus dress changed. During the 70s we saw some really "interesting" fashion trends, and today, players dress much more subtle and subdued (save a few mavericks if you will), but there was a constant theme that ran throughout golf's dress code: respect for the game. Tradition dictates respect in golf from within. Yes there are rules, but many are self regulated. You keep your own score, you call penalties on yourself. There is a higher level of commitment in golf from its players. That being said, do jeans and tee shirts indicate that you have no respect for the game of golf? That is a question of opinion. I say no it does not. However, I would not feel comfortable wearing such attire on any course. That comes from within and if someone wants to wear jeans and tee shirts and the course dress code allows it, so be it. That is their own personal decision. How can you judge someone based on their clothing choice; shouldn't we examine our peers on content of their character? How many of you attend church and see people dressed in jeans? I personally wouldn't feel comfortable wearing jeans to church, but I certainly wouldn't condemn anyone for wearing such attire to worship.

Driver: Adams TightLies Titanium High Launch Max COR (10.5°) R Flex Graphite SuperShaft Lightweight Mid Kickpoint, GolfPride Multicompound Grip

Fairway Wood: Ping G20 4-Wood (16.5°), R Flex Ping TFC 169F Shaft, Ping ID8 Grip | Hybrid: Ping G25 (23°), Ping TFC 189H Shaft, GolfPride Tour Velvet Grip

Irons: Cleveland TA-5 Gunmetal R Flex True Temper Sensicore Shafts, BlackWidow Widowmaker Black/Black Grips: 5-I (27°) 6-I (30°), 7-I (33.5°), 8-I (37°), 9-I (41°), PW (45°)

Wedges: Cleveland Tour Action REG 588 Gunmetal Dynamic Gold Sensicore Shafts, BlackWidow Widowmaker Black/Red Grips: 51°/6, 57°/10, LW 64°/8

Putter: Carbite Polar Balanced DC, Tiger Shark Oversized Grip 31"

Note: This thread is 3843 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!