IGNORED

Pregnant Student Athletes Losing Scholarships

iacas
Note: This thread is 3530 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Should a female student athlete on an athletic scholarship lose her scholarship if she becomes pregnant and cannot perform as an athlete?

• Yes
    • No

Even if they get injured playing their own sport?

Academic scholarships are lost even when the student works their hardest to make the grades. So, I don't see a difference how it is lost.

That being said, I am sure that in certain situations there will most likely be an alumni group willing to help sponsor the remainder of their education. There are always other avenues as well.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Academic scholarships are lost even when the student works their hardest to make the grades. So, I don't see a difference how it is lost.

That being said, I am sure that in certain situations there will most likely be an alumni group willing to help sponsor the remainder of their education. There are always other avenues as well.

Veeeeery different. If you get an academic scholarship and fail to meet the requirements, it means one thing...you didn't put in the work to keep it. The requirements aren't that stringent, and college is not all that difficult.

An athlete blowing out his knee giving 100% in the game in which he received the scholarship is a completely different story, and would be irresponsible of the school (not to mention just...shitty) to revoke the scholarship.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Side note:  I left this site to go to google and search for stories about athletes losing their scholarships to try and get more information ... and one of the returns on the first page ... was this thread. ;)

Side note:  I left this site to go to google and search for stories about athletes losing their scholarships to try and get more information ... and one of the returns on the first page ... was this thread. ;)

How do they know already???? Someone must be spying on us.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

College sports are a big business.   If anybody thinks different, they are naive.   The student athletes are nothing more than paid (their education) subcontractors.   The cost of their education can run well over $100k.   They are expected to perform the job in which they were hired.    If they can't perform, the school has the option to void their contract.   If it's an injury, the school is usually accepting and will extend the scholarship.   All of the student athletes sign a contract with the school which includes a moral section too.   I voted yes.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

How do they know already???? Someone must be spying on us.

YOU......CANNOT.....LEAVE

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

College sports are a big business.   If anybody thinks different, they are naive.   The student athletes are nothing more than paid (their education) subcontractors.   The cost of their education can run well over $100k.   They are expected to perform the job in which they were hired.    If they can't perform, the school has the option to void their contract.   If it's an injury, the school is usually accepting and will extend the scholarship.   All of the student athletes sign a contract with the school which includes a moral section too.   I voted yes.

That's not true. Basketball and Football? Sure. They aren't making the big bucks on tennis, volleyball, soccer, and golf scholarships.

I get what you're saying though...if universities had their way, they wouldn't even give out scholarships for most of their "non-money" sports...but title IX and all...

Ryan M

Veeeeery different. If you get an academic scholarship and fail to meet the requirements, it means one thing...you didn't put in the work to keep it. The requirements aren't that stringent, and college is not all that difficult.  An athlete blowing out his knee giving 100% in the game in which he received the scholarship is a completely different story, and would be irresponsible of the school (not to mention just...shitty) to revoke the scholarship.

My thought on the athlete giving 100% and getting injured, is that alumni foundations can help. They keep asking me for money, I figure it goes to good causes like this one. Most students put a great deal of effort when they are on an academic scholarship, and sometimes things happen out of their control. They would still lose the scholarship. How is this different from an athlete getting injured? I object to a university giving money to students in these cases and not others, and it keeps tuition high for those that could not get scholarships. No easy solution, once you pay out for one exception and not another.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

My thought on the athlete giving 100% and getting injured, is that alumni foundations can help. They keep asking me for money, I figure it goes to good causes like this one.

Most students put a great deal of effort when they are on an academic scholarship, and sometimes things happen out of their control. They would still lose the scholarship. How is this different from an athlete getting injured?

I object to a university giving money to students in these cases and not others, and it keeps tuition high for those that could not get scholarships.

No easy solution, once you pay out for one exception and not another.

What would cause not keeping your grades up that is directly contributed to your scholarship itself? Nothing.

If you are injured doing the thing that got you the scholarship, you should keep it. You're putting your body and livelyhood at risk with sports, look at college football players who will have lifelong issues from playing in college...and that university makes Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiig money off of the student athletes...

Most academic scholarships don't require you to keep a 3.8...they aren't asking all that much.

Ryan M

What would cause not keeping your grades up that is directly contributed to your scholarship itself? Nothing. If you are injured doing the thing that got you the scholarship, you should keep it. You're putting your body and livelyhood at risk with sports, look at college football players who will have lifelong issues from playing in college...and that university makes Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiig money off of the student athletes... Most academic scholarships don't require you to keep a 3.8...they aren't asking all that much.

I was thinking of extended sickness, or mental illness induced by excessive stress or anything else. Agreed that physical ailments are more obvious, but the reason they are so traumatic is mental aspect of the injuries. Many people get crippled outside of sports too, but they get through it. Sure, sports are big money for most universities. That's why there will always be alumni foundations that can help wounded athletes..

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

This thread is an extended mental illness.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

:-)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I was thinking of extended sickness, or mental illness induced by excessive stress or anything else.

Agreed that physical ailments are more obvious, but the reason they are so traumatic is mental aspect of the injuries. Many people get crippled outside of sports too, but they get through it.

Sure, sports are big money for most universities. That's why there will always be alumni foundations that can help wounded athletes..

Sorry, but *Puts on anti-PC hat* that's a load of bullshit.

Extended sickness? Sure...you get cancer or something that requires long-term (2 week plus) hospitalization, and you temporarily keep your scholarship. Most schools would actually do that anyway.

ADD or some other BS because you "study too much"...please, get out of here with that garbage (not you specifically...just ranting).

Ryan M

[RIGHT][/RIGHT][quote name="Slice of Life" url="/t/70713/pregnant-student-athletes-losing-scholarships/90#post_911912"] Most schools would actually do that anyway.  [/quote] No, students don't keep it, if a student is out for, say 9 months. The school politely asks if you would be willing to give it to another student in need of the scholarship. In any case, no one able to play should keep their scholarship. An injured athlete, as you have exemplified, would get help elsewhere. When and if they recover, they can get the scholarship again. No need to BS, this happened to a few of my old schoolmates with sports and academic scholarships. I watched them on the field and in the classroom. All impressive. Burnout is not a fun thing. Just glad they are still around. They lost/"gave" away their scholarships to other needy students, and found other means to finish school later. The mental recover was many years, while the physical recovery was months. Sure, they were not 100%, but they could still perform better than the average person in any form of athleticism. One of them is now teaching poor urban kids.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

No, students don't keep it, if a student is out for, say 9 months. The school politely asks if you would be willing to give it to another student in need of the scholarship.

In any case, no one able to play should keep their scholarship.

An injured athlete, as you have exemplified, would get help elsewhere.

When and if they recover, they can get the scholarship again.

No need to BS, this happened to a few of my old schoolmates with sports and academic scholarships. I watched them on the field and in the classroom. All impressive. Burnout is not a fun thing. Just glad they are still around.

9 months is a different story, I'm talking about one semester. Of course taking a year off is gonna lose you your scholarship.

If you "burnout" to the point on not doing the work well enough to keep an academic scholarship, then there were probably more deserving people than you in the first place. I worked (3 jobs at one point) and finished my degree in 3.5 years under academic scholarships. It isn't all that difficult. Sure, I got "burned out"...everyone does. So what? Be an adult and get your s*** done.

Sorry if that's harsh, but it is what it is. I went through it, I feel like I'm allowed to have an opinion on it.

Ryan M

9 months is a different story, I'm talking about one semester. Of course taking a year off is gonna lose you your scholarship. If you "burnout" to the point on not doing the work well enough to keep an academic scholarship, then there were probably more deserving people than you in the first place. I worked (3 jobs at one point) and finished my degree in 3.5 years under academic scholarships. It isn't all that difficult. Sure, I got "burned out"...everyone does. So what? Be an adult and get your s*** done.  Sorry if that's harsh, but it is what it is. I went through it, I feel like I'm allowed to have an opinion on it.

You got your engineering degree in record time, and definitely make for a success story.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

My two cents.

I voted yes, if the athlete can't perform in the sport, the school isn't getting any value for the scholarship and it should be given to someone that can perform.  How the school handles the student's situation after revoking the athletic scholarship is a different issue, but the student should lose the athletic scholarship.

Joe Paradiso

You got your engineering degree in record time, and definitely make for a success story.

Thanks, but one of the reasons I was able to, was because even though I was working a lot sometimes, I still didn't have to work nearly as much as I would have without the academic scholarships. Allowed me to throw in 20-21 credit hour semesters.

And that's my real point...most academic scholarships require 16. So that's typically 3 real classes and a fluff course...if you can't handle that without burning out, someone else deserves your scholarship. That's the point I'm trying to make.

Ryan M

Note: This thread is 3530 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!