IGNORED

If you could change ONE rule, what would it be?

Q.Q.Quillume
Note: This thread is 3470 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

That is fine except it means that your handicap is not valid.  And it is very possible to cheat in golf.

If one cheats in golf, they know it as does the rest of the group.  Even a questionable interpretation of the rules will eat on me and the guys I play with so we err on the side of caution.

The game is what it is  Where did the notion come from that difficult means not fun?  Why should people who like the game the way it is have to have their game screwed with to satisfy people who may someday play, or make up new "easy" rules for the people who never followed the rules in the first place?

How would that change anything?

Rangefinders could speed up play which is an issue on professional tours.

Rangefinders could speed up play which is an issue on professional tours.

No chance.  They already have all of the numbers in their yardage books from the extensive work they did earlier in the week.  Not knowing the numbers is not the reason they take their time.  It's in analyzing the numbers.  A rangefinder won't speed that up one iota.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

No chance.  They already have all of the numbers in their yardage books from the extensive work they did earlier in the week.  Not knowing the numbers is not the reason they take their time.  It's in analyzing the numbers.  A rangefinder won't speed that up one iota.

That was my thought as well.  When they spend time talking a shot over with the caddie it isn't the yardage they are trying to figure out, it is the wind, the angle, the elevation change, etc., IMO.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Guess we will have to disagree.  If they already have the distance, then a rangefinder shouldn't be an issue.  I think it would even the field for Monday qualifiers and players that don't have a full time caddy.  But hey, I am only talking opinion.

Guess we will have to disagree.  If they already have the distance, then a rangefinder shouldn't be an issue.  I think it would even the field for Monday qualifiers and players that don't have a full time caddy.  But hey, I am only talking opinion.

But that's not what you said.  You said you thought it would speed up play.  It absolutely would not.  In fact, I would be willing to wager a few bucks that it would do quite the opposite.  The more deliberate players would use it as an opportunity to second guess and double and triple check all of the work they did pre-tournament.

And the Monday qualifier guys all get the same yardage book that the regular guys get, and they all have Tuesday and Wednesday with that book and their caddy to add whatever other info they need.  A rangefinder isn't going to help them much either.

The game is what it is  Where did the notion come from that difficult means not fun?  Why should people who like the game the way it is have to have their game screwed with to satisfy people who may someday play, or make up new "easy" rules for the people who never followed the rules in the first place?

The game is already difficult. Who said difficult isn't fun? I said making more difficult isn't fun. Who is making up easy rules? You are putting words in my fingers. Who does changing club and ball rules benefit? Does it benefit you? Me? No. It benefits club manufacturers. Most tour players use blades. Most of the rest of us mid to higher handicap players use cavity back clubs. They changed the grooves on the clubs to make it more difficult to apply spin. They're outlawing the belly putter (actually anchored strokes) in 2016 - this rule change due to a change in putting posture forced me to buy a new putter because I don't want to make a change in the new rule year. Why the change? Because some touring pros were using the anchored stroke.

Do you make rules and build golf courses to challenge only the elite players? Or do we want to grow the game?

Should we have a set of rules for regular play rounds, and one for tournaments? Example, who, on a daily round is going to trek back 240 yds to the tee to hit another ball if they can't find their ball in the rough? No one. They're going to drop a ball in the approximate location of entry and take a 15-2 violation of 2 strokes. Same if you look and find that your ball had actually come to rest just outside the white OB markers, but looked like it was in bounds. You'll drop it in bounds and take the two stroke penalty. But technically you're supposed to walk back, take a stroke and distance penalty and rehit. Imagine how slow play would be? In a tournament or competition that's a different story depending upon the rules of the competition.

Lost Balls: How about we add this one for the everyday round. So say you lost your ball. Take two strokes at approximate location, drop a ball continue. ... Except during tournaments and competitions. For tournaments and competitions proceed under stroke and distance.

This way no one violates a rule.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

See there, we disagree.  I used to question the laser range finder, but no more.

I don't understand what you're saying here.  What do you mean, 'you used to question the laser range finder?"

The game is already difficult. Who said difficult isn't fun? I said making more difficult isn't fun. Who is making up easy rules? You are putting words in my fingers. Who does changing club and ball rules benefit? Does it benefit you? Me? No. It benefits club manufacturers. Most tour players use blades. Most of the rest of us mid to higher handicap players use cavity back clubs. They changed the grooves on the clubs to make it more difficult to apply spin. They're outlawing the belly putter (actually anchored strokes) in 2016 - this rule change due to a change in putting posture forced me to buy a new putter because I don't want to make a change in the new rule year. Why the change? Because some touring pros were using the anchored stroke.

Do you make rules and build golf courses to challenge only the elite players? Or do we want to grow the game?

Should we have a set of rules for regular play rounds, and one for tournaments? Example, who, on a daily round is going to trek back 240 yds to the tee to hit another ball if they can't find their ball in the rough? No one. They're going to drop a ball in the approximate location of entry and take a 15-2 violation of 2 strokes. Same if you look and find that your ball had actually come to rest just outside the white OB markers, but looked like it was in bounds. You'll drop it in bounds and take the two stroke penalty. But technically you're supposed to walk back, take a stroke and distance penalty and rehit. Imagine how slow play would be? In a tournament or competition that's a different story depending upon the rules of the competition.

Lost Balls: How about we add this one for the everyday round. So say you lost your ball. Take two strokes at approximate location, drop a ball continue. ... Except during tournaments and competitions. For tournaments and competitions proceed under stroke and distance.

This way no one violates a rule.

You mean who in their right mind , right?

I just did this recently, because I hit a ball into a pump station and thought I could still hit it (I did retrieve the ball). :doh: Well, I walked back about 200 yards and re-hit the shot. This morning, I used an iron instead of my hybrid with much better results.

If there's someone behind me, I would normally take a provisional. I was just stupidly overconfident. :doh::doh::doh:

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I don't understand what you're saying here.  What do you mean, 'you used to question the laser range finder?"

Prior to purchasing my first range finder, I hit my drives about 275.  My post range finder distance is about 250 and we are about 3000' in altitude.  Some how, technology cost me 25 yards of perceived distance.  The ranger finder has its optimal benefits IMO from 100 yards in.

Prior to purchasing my first range finder, I hit my drives about 275.  My post range finder distance is about 250 and we are about 3000' in altitude.  Some how, technology cost me 25 yards of perceived distance.  The ranger finder has its optimal benefits IMO from 100 yards in.

You still have me lost.  I agree that a range finder is great.  I use one as well.  But what does this have to do with touring pros?  Changing the rule on the PGA tour to allow them to use range finders during tournaments is not going to speed up play.

I don't totally agree with your last sentence though.  It has optimal benefits at a range of distances.  Off the tee on an unfamiliar course; how far to that bunker or tree?  Second shot on a par 5; how far to reach the end of the fairway before the pond and how far to clear the pond.  Etc, etc.  It has all kinds of benefits.

But nearly every possible scenario that you can think of, so has the tour pro and his caddie and they've already added it to their yardage book (if it wasn't already there) before the first round on Thursday.

You mean who in their right mind, right?

I just did this recently, because I hit a ball into a pump station and thought I could still hit it (I did retrieve the ball). Well, I walked back about 200 yards and re-hit the shot. This morning, I used an iron instead of my hybrid with much better results.

If there's someone behind me, I would normally take a provisional. I was just stupidly overconfident.

I'm guilty of the same thing, except I hit the second ball in the exact same place. :cry: Took out my 7 iron and hit my third tee shot on a par 5 with much better results. :surrender: I think I had a 12 on the hole. :8) GHIN only allowed me to report an 8. Must play by the rules. :whistle:

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

So, you're just saying that prior to owning this technology, you overestimated your distances?

I'm guilty of the same thing, except I hit the second ball in the exact same place.  Took out my 7 iron and hit my third tee shot on a par 5 with much better results.  I think I had a 12 on the hole.  GHIN only allowed me to report an 8. Must play by the rules.

Ha, yes. :beer:

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Yep, this is what I'm saying.

LOL, I like your new Avatar. :beer:

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

This wouldn't be a rule change it would be a course layout change:

I'd change most if not all O.B. into lateral hazards and adjust the course rating and slope accordingly... at least for everyday (non tournament play).

For one this would speed up play.

Two, it would reduce the frustration level of high handicappers.  I was told the number one reason folks quit golf is because they become frustrated.

I was told the number one reason folks quit golf is because they become frustrated.

I'd buy that, however, I'm not sure it's really related to the rules.  Using my wife (total beginner, basically) as an example; when we go to the range or the pitch and putt, she will enjoy herself when she's hitting the ball up in the air and she'll get frustrated when she's not.  She hasn't taken the game up more seriously for a myriad of reasons, and frustration is one of those.

But, for her, the rules play no part in that frustration.  In fact, I can guarantee you that she doesn't even know that rule.

I feel like if people are quitting golf due to frustration, it's a lot to do with having trouble hitting the ball, and not a lot to do with carding a 122 instead of a 116.

Note: This thread is 3470 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!