IGNORED

Anyone else find it easier to hit blades?

dwade247
Note: This thread is 3160 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

If your miss is off the heel side blades versus cavity back makes no real difference. It could be argued that a GI club would allow you to hit more toe side shots and avoid shanks, but as my son put it to me last night "You want to hit the club well, why learn to mishit it?"

That's the wrong way to look at it.  You're not building a swing AROUND your clubs.  You are building a swing, and then using the clubs that help you to score better.  Having an iron that helps me out when I screw up and toe one doesn't teach me to keep doing that.  Nor does it prevent me from continuing to try and get better and stop doing that.  All it does is give better results when I do do that.

Agree, but I was noting that if your miss is off the heel side there is no advantage to GI. To have an advantage with a GI club, you would need to move your shot towards the toe side to take advantage of the technology to make it easier to avoid shanks. This toe side advantage gives you your forgiveness and the toe weighted GI clubs don't punish your distances as much.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Which ones?? :)

As in what did I hit or what was I thinking to get? I hit the Mizuno lineup one day and today tried the Titleist line. Found the MP 4 and MB 714 to be the best of the bunch. I don't know why, maybe the smaller heads make me focus more? I was thinking of getting a set of MP 33s to kick around, if I find a reasonably-priced set on eBay. [quote name="Lihu" url="/t/71299/anyone-else-find-it-easier-to-hit-blades/30#post_1118204"]If your miss is off the heel side blades versus cavity back makes no real difference. It could be argued that a GI club would allow you to hit more toe side shots and avoid shanks, but as my son put it to me last night "You want to hit the club well, why learn to mishit it?". He's even using [URL=http://www.bladegolfirons.com/Reviews/Cleveland/CG-Tour]Cleveland CG Tour blades[/URL]. My [URL=http://www.forgedgolfirons.com/reviews/mizuno/mizuno-mp-32/]Mizuno blades[/URL] are much more forgiving than his clubs, and the new [URL=http://www.callawaygolf.com/golf-clubs/irons-2014-apex-mb.html]Apex MB from Callaway[/URL] seems to be about the same as my MP-32. [/quote]I do miss slightly towards the heel, and fairly consistently. I can hit shot after shot from the same exact spot, maybe a 1/4" towards the heel from center. I've started addressing the ball off the toe just to try to hit more towards center.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Quote:

If your miss is off the heel side blades versus cavity back makes no real difference. It could be argued that a GI club would allow you to hit more toe side shots and avoid shanks, but as my son put it to me last night "You want to hit the club well, why learn to mishit it?". He's even using Cleveland CG Tour blades.

My Mizuno blades are much more forgiving than his clubs, and the new Apex MB from Callaway seems to be about the same as my MP-32.

I do miss slightly towards the heel, and fairly consistently. I can hit shot after shot from the same exact spot, maybe a 1/4" towards the heel from center. I've started addressing the ball off the toe just to try to hit more towards center.

This is why you can hit blades***. . .

You should try out different types at a PGA super store or something like it, and find something that really appeals to you. Used ones are probably just as good as older ones. It's not like there is any drastically new technology in the past 10 years. . .

***This also brings up another item, your handicap. What's going on with your game anyway? :-P

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

This is why you can hit blades***. . . You should try out different types at a PGA super store or something like it, and find something that really appeals to you. Used ones are probably just as good as older ones. It's not like there is any drastically new technology in the past 10 years...

I'll have to stop at the Golfsmith. They usually have a huge rack of used clubs. The closest PGA Superstore is like 40 miles from me and I've never actually been there. [quote name="Lihu" url="/t/71299/anyone-else-find-it-easier-to-hit-blades/30#post_1118217"] ***This also brings up another item, your handicap. What's going on with your game anyway? :-P [/quote][spoiler=OT Bill Stuff]It's a Key #5 issue. I have a tendency to hit an open-faced push fade that quite literally lands 25-30 yards right of my target, with the mid-irons. You can imagine what that does with a driver. In order to counter that miss, I'll usually do too much to get the face closed and hit the ball left. Basically, on any given swing, I can hit a ball 20 yards left to 40 yards right. The rest of the swing is good for me, but I need to resolve this issue. When I do, I'm expecting my scores to drop dramatically.[/spoiler]

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

That's the wrong way to look at it.  You're not building a swing AROUND your clubs.  You are building a swing, and then using the clubs that help you to score better.  Having an iron that helps me out when I screw up and toe one doesn't teach me to keep doing that.  Nor does it prevent me from continuing to try and get better and stop doing that.  All it does is give better results when I do do that.

I agree.  My understanding is that blades give better golfers a tighter dispersion than GI irons.  If you're hitting the ball all over the club face your dispersion isn't going to be very tight and you're better off with GI irons.  Not every pro has blades in their bag, Titleist pro's Jordan Spieth, Victor Dubuisson, Kevin Na and Zach Johnson use Titleist AP2's which are not blades.

Joe Paradiso

I agree.  My understanding is that blades give better golfers a tighter dispersion than GI irons.  If you're hitting the ball all over the club face your dispersion isn't going to be very tight and you're better off with GI irons.  Not every pro has blades in their bag, Titleist pro's Jordan Spieth, Victor Dubuisson, Kevin Na and Zach Johnson use Titleist AP2's which are not blades.

Actually, at this point, I'd say that perhaps even a majority of pros don't use blades.

That said, I get the appeal.  If I ever got a second set just for kicks, it would probably be blades.  They're beautiful.  They're not practical, but they're beautiful. ;)

Actually, at this point, I'd say that perhaps even a majority of pros don't use blades.

That said, I get the appeal.  If I ever got a second set just for kicks, it would probably be blades.  They're beautiful.  They're not practical, but they're beautiful. ;)

Blades are sexy, especially a nice set or Miura's, but for me they are nicer to look at rather than play

Joe Paradiso

My main appeal of blades is the simplicity, and that I got them for less than $100 with these ridiculously stiff shafts on them. What's cool (and funny) is that I seem to be "growing" into them.

It's a Key #5 issue. I have a tendency to hit an open-faced push fade that quite literally lands 25-30 yards right of my target, with the mid-irons. You can imagine what that does with a driver.

In order to counter that miss, I'll usually do too much to get the face closed and hit the ball left. Basically, on any given swing, I can hit a ball 20 yards left to 40 yards right.

The rest of the swing is good for me, but I need to resolve this issue. When I do, I'm expecting my scores to drop dramatically.

My son has pretty much the same issue, he can be off line 20 yards or so. I suppose you play pretty tight courses that require you to use mid-irons off the tee or something a lot?

In any case both of you are strong iron players, once you get your directions straight I see a lot of potential for low single digits.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Agree, but I was noting that if your miss is off the heel side there is no advantage to GI. To have an advantage with a GI club, you would need to move your shot towards the toe side to take advantage of the technology to make it easier to avoid shanks. This toe side advantage gives you your forgiveness and the toe weighted GI clubs don't punish your distances as much.

I didn't know this. I figured GI clubs help on all mis-hits. I almost never miss it on the toe with the irons, at least not that I've observed on the range (I'm not using dry erase markers on my clubs during my rounds, so can't say I know for certain). Sorry, missed this post earlier.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Quote:

I didn't know this. I figured GI clubs help on all mis-hits. I almost never miss it on the toe with the irons, at least not that I've observed on the range (I'm not using dry erase markers on my clubs during my rounds, so can't say I know for certain).

Interesting, and you noted that you have issues with Key 5. I wonder if there is something in your GI club that might be causing you to compensate by opening the face too much?

In my son's case he always had his face really open using the Ping i20s, and when he switched to the CG Tour he closed the face more. Now I'm curious. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Interesting, and you noted that you have issues with Key 5. I wonder if there is something in your GI club that might be causing you to compensate by opening the face too much? In my son's case he always had his face really open using the Ping i20s, and when he switched to the CG Tour he closed the face more. Now I'm curious. . .

I...don't know. I only had these clubs since last year and the problem predates them. I still had the same miss with the blades, just that I hit more good shots more often, too. Maybe the blades are easier for me to throw, so I time the impact better. Just like your son, I guess. Now you have me thinking it's in my head. :loco: I definitely hit straighter shots more often with the blades. Badly mis-hit shots sucked with all clubs.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Quote:

Interesting, and you noted that you have issues with Key 5. I wonder if there is something in your GI club that might be causing you to compensate by opening the face too much?

In my son's case he always had his face really open using the Ping i20s, and when he switched to the CG Tour he closed the face more. Now I'm curious. . .

I...don't know. I only had these clubs since last year and the problem predates them. I still had the same miss with the blades, just that I hit more good shots more often, too.

Maybe the blades are easier for me to throw, so I time the impact better. Just like your son, I guess.

Now you have me thinking it's in my head.

I definitely hit straighter shots more often with the blades. Badly mis-hit shots sucked with all clubs.

There's your answer, not everyone fits into a common mold.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I don't know if it'd make a lot of difference. When I mishit a shot I really mishit. My slight mishit tends to be a thin. When I shank one a GI is not forgiving. And like I said, if that HC drops low, I am treating myself to some forged CBs like the Cobra Fly-Z+ when the price drops.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I am now the proud new owner of a set of Ben Hogan Apex II's, the '83 Black Cameos. They'll get this whole "I hit blades better" idea out of my head quickly... :whistle:

Actually, they were fairly cheap, and I kind of like the idea of owning a vintage set of irons, so even if I can't hit them out of my shadow, I'm happy with the purchase.

Bill

My Swing Thread

I am now the proud new owner of a set of Ben Hogan Apex II's, the '83 Black Cameos. They'll get this whole "I hit blades better" idea out of my head quickly... :whistle: Actually, they were fairly cheap, and I kind of like the idea of owning a vintage set of irons, so even if I can't hit them out of my shadow, I'm happy with the purchase.

Congrats! Be prepared for those clubs are only for really good players comments. Last time was @ Neshanic. I'm usually ready w/my regular set are GI irons I'm just having some fun comment. I like the nostalgia. Like playing tennis w/wooden racquets.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I am now the proud new owner of a set of Ben Hogan Apex II's, the '83 Black Cameos. They'll get this whole "I hit blades better" idea out of my head quickly...

Actually, they were fairly cheap, and I kind of like the idea of owning a vintage set of irons, so even if I can't hit them out of my shadow, I'm happy with the purchase.

Cool, I wish I could find a left handed Hogan Apex. . .One indication of how hard they are to hit is how cheap you got them! :-D

I think you will enjoy them more than you think, though. Vintage is cool, and I look forward to seeing you use them next time we meet for a round! :beer:

Congrats! Be prepared for those clubs are only for really good players comments. Last time was @ Neshanic. I'm usually ready w/my regular set are GI irons I'm just having some fun comment.

I like the nostalgia. Like playing tennis w/wooden racquets.

Agree, I like using vintage equipment if I can. I used to take 35 year old archery equipment to the Archery Nationals. The stuff was made very well back then, and they look good to boot. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Congrats! Be prepared for those clubs are only for really good players comments. Last time was @ Neshanic. I'm usually ready w/my regular set are GI irons I'm just having some fun comment.

But I am a good golfer! At least right until I hit the ball :-D

I think you will enjoy them more than you think, though.

I hope so. I'm kind of excited about getting them. Maybe it's the cabin fever.

Vintage is cool, and I look forward to seeing you use them next time we meet for a round!

Haha, ok. Wasn't I bad enough with GI clubs the last time, you want to make it harder for me? :-P

Bill

My Swing Thread

This reminds me of my recent club fitting for a new set of irons. I had my heart set on MP-54's because to me, they were a thing of beauty. They were the last set of irons i hit at my fitting and Trackman showed a distance 'loss' of about 10-15 yrds. Bummed. I ended up purchaseing the 850 forged which i absolutely love though so not a big deal. Looking back at the lofts, now i know why there was such a large gap in distance ---lofts. Lesson learned. :-P

Matt - "I am very happy to be here!"

Note: This thread is 3160 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!