IGNORED

Winter Depression Thread

smellysell

Played 9 holes yesterday afternoon. 

Spent this afternoon shoveling this:

IMG_1527.thumb.JPG.929475574fba531d952e5

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
1 hour ago, DeadMan said:

IMG_1527.thumb.JPG.929475574fba531d952e5

Bummer.

I'm holding off on emptying the last of the gas from the snowblower. I feel like when I do that, if it's too soon, Mother Nature will send me the middle finger.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Bummer.

I'm holding off on emptying the last of the gas from the snowblower. I feel like when I do that, if it's too soon, Mother Nature will send me the middle finger.

It was warm most of March here, so this is payback for that. We're supposed to have another snow storm this weekend, and then one next week as well. Looks like it's going to be a bit of a wait for more golf, unfortunately.

-- Daniel

It dumped over a foot here in Denver.  Went from golfing in shorts yesterday to a blizzard today.  

This will make the courses super green though so its all good!

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

IMG_1527.JPG

We got six from a Nor'Easter on Monday and it's already gone. That strong Colorado sun should melt this quick!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

17 hours ago, DeadMan said:

It was warm most of March here, so this is payback for that. We're supposed to have another snow storm this weekend, and then one next week as well. Looks like it's going to be a bit of a wait for more golf, unfortunately.

And I had tee times both Saturday and Sunday.  I guess I can sleep in instead.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

On March 23, 2016 at 7:31 PM, DeadMan said:

IMG_1527.JPG

I would have to hurt somebody at this point in the year and after the tease of already being out for a round. Hope it's gone soon. 

Driver- :nike: Nike VR-Pro Limited Edition 9.5* Diamana 'ahina Stiff Flex 3 Wood- :titleist: Titleist 980 5 Wood- :tmade: Taylormade R9 3i-PW- :tmade: Taylormade Tour Preferred (Dynamic Gold S300) Putter- :tarmour: Tommy Armour T-Line 150 (it's old but I love it and haven't been able to find anything that feels better)

What's with snow?  It seems to arrive just in time to close the courses for the weekend. Ugh!

Don

Wind chill, I can deal with low temperature golf but not when the wind chill brings it down as much as it has recently, so here we are in April and I won't be playing this weekend because even with temps will be in the upper 40's the wind is just too frigid, dammit.

The depression continues here in the north east.

3 hours ago, Yukari said:

What's with snow?  It seems to arrive just in time to close the courses for the weekend. Ugh!

Sorry, its my fault. 

I booked a tee time at the Ridges at Castle Pines North for Saturday.

Of course it would snow before that.

Tony  

1 hour ago, pumaAttack said:

Sorry, its my fault. 

That's a great course.  It is one of my favorite courses in Denver.  I usually play 3-5 rounds per year there.  But it is a bit of a drive for me.

I have tee times on Saturday and Sunday at different courses.  I am hoping I can play at least one of those days.

Don

Worst thing about this March snow is the courses aren't in great or even good condition and we are in handicap season. The moisture will be great once the grass starts growing but our course is banged up.

Last time I played the only good lies I got were off a tee or in the rough that still had some fluff to it. Greens are fuzzy and dormant, fairways have sparse areas where the ball settles down between winter tufts, little dirt mounds where grass wore away and other scabby lies that make good contact difficult. Like hitting out of a divot with no sand in it. We're 3-4 weeks away from half decent playing conditions. Season should be 05/01-11/15.

Dave :-)

41 minutes ago, Yukari said:

That's a great course.  It is one of my favorite courses in Denver.  I usually play 3-5 rounds per year there.  But it is a bit of a drive for me.

I have tee times on Saturday and Sunday at different courses.  I am hoping I can play at least one of those days.

I was really looking forward to finally playing there... 

But I just got an email from them saying the course is closed this weekend due to the snow.  

Tony  

It's an okay course, but I sort of think all upper level public courses like that are overrated in Denver at least. I mean, you give me a choice between playing, say, Fossil Trace or CommonGround, I'll play CommonGround without blinking. I play Bear Dance about once a year because my boss likes it, and I think it's a pretty meh course overall. But then again, I'm generally not a fan of courses that are tree lined, so that's part of it.

2 hours ago, Dave2512 said:

Worst thing about this March snow is the courses aren't in great or even good condition and we are in handicap season. The moisture will be great once the grass starts growing but our course is banged up.

Last time I played the only good lies I got were off a tee or in the rough that still had some fluff to it. Greens are fuzzy and dormant, fairways have sparse areas where the ball settles down between winter tufts, little dirt mounds where grass wore away and other scabby lies that make good contact difficult. Like hitting out of a divot with no sand in it. We're 3-4 weeks away from half decent playing conditions. Season should be 05/01-11/15.

Yeah, course conditions weren't great when I played before this snow. But, I think they'll rebound quickly. I know it's a tiny amount of grass, but I put down fertilizer before the big snowstorm last week, and my grass is now super lush, thick, and green. I'd imagine the golf courses will be the same. I would bet next weekend they'll be in decent shape, and by the 16th, they'll be in really good shape.

Off topic, but I think if you want to change the handicap season, you make it inactive in March, but active in January and February. There's been a lot of years where I've played more in January and February than March.

-- Daniel

I wouldn't want to post any scores for handicap in winter. It's either horrific or stupid fast either way not representative of how courses play in season.

Dave :-)

17 hours ago, pumaAttack said:

Sorry, its my fault. 

I jinxed it here too! I mentioned to my Tuesday group that we should start playing and it's either snowed, rained, been 45mph wind gusty or just plain freezing since. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave