IGNORED

what forms of golf etiquette do you ignore and why?

tqcishark
Note: This thread is 3421 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Pretty much what @Fourputt said.

Why are you assuming that you're in the fairway? Or that I'm in the fairway? Or that the hole doesn't angle away from the playing partner who has so egregiously walked ahead of you?

I go along with what @Fourputt e is basically no theoretical argument for walking ahead - it's quite clear that you shouldn't do it. However, when playing outside of competitions, it can speed up play, and I actually believe it can reduce the pressure on the player with the shorter shot, as not everyone is standing there waiting for him to play. However, as in everything else on the golf course, safety and common courtesy should never be forgotten. Assuming all balls are in play (if someone has lost theirs, of course I'll help them look for it, though even then: if I am the only one on the other side of a wide fairway, and there are already three guys looking for the lost ball, then I'll think twice about it), I will walk in the direction of my ball, making sure I am fully aware of how close the other player is to making his next shot. As soon as he is ready to address his ball, I will stand still and turn to watch him play. At this point, I may still be a good distance away from my ball - if my ball is on the fairway, I will probably be standing in the rough in a position which allows me to reach my ball quicker than other wise for my next shot.

It goes without saying that I will never encroach on his line. I think the net result of this is not only to speed up play, but to reduce pressure all round (the guy with the shorter shot is most likely to be in that position regularly, which can lead to the group behind catching up, again piling on the pressure on that guy).

I use the Garmin Approach S1 wrist watch. I have the front, middle, back yardage all the time at a glance. I'd like to have a range finder, but I'll stick with the GPS for now. Great improvement over not having one at all. PS, cell phones on the course suck. Put it down or have it on silent for emergencies and check it between shots if you have to.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I'm at a complete loss as to how that's caustic.

Since it's December 26th for you, I hope you had a merry Christmas.

Now, back to the topic…

it was caustic as you were trying to imply I was a serial complainer, blaming others for being blocked out(I wasn't born yesterday) and using this to try and label me as unreasonable in my expectations of etiquette, incapable of reading "please read people's posts" , clear to anyone who looks at the context of your post.......where you personally attack me in every sentnence.........capping it off with that I should read the lessons on how to hit straight so  I can be  a champ like you:

. http://thesandtrap.com/t/71432/what-forms-of-golf-etiquette-do-you-ignore-and-why/144#post_1088187

it was caustic as you were trying to imply I was a serial complainer, blaming others for being blocked out(I wasn't born yesterday) and using this to try and label me as unreasonable in my expectations of etiquette, clear to anyone who looks at the context of your post.......where you personally attack me in every paragraph.....capping it off with that I should read the lessons on how to hit straight so  I can be  a champ like you:

.http://thesandtrap.com/t/71432/what-forms-of-golf-etiquette-do-you-ignore-and-why/144#post_1088187

I'm not quite sure how you got all of that from a simple statement of fact that the site limits people from editing posts after nine minutes. You're reading a little too deep into it.

At the end he was trying to help you. If you post a "My Swing" thread you can get help with your swing (if you want it) to improve, it's not an insult but something we recommend to all new posters.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm not quite sure how you got all of that from a simple statement of fact that the site limits people from editing posts after nine minutes.

At the end he was trying to help you. If you post a "My Swing" thread you can get help with your swing (if you want it) to improve

.....if indeed he was trying to be helpful, then all that was needed was "the site blocks edits after nine minutes".....not "NO_ONE was TRYING TO BLOCK YOU OUT"......as though I was having a whinge!

he wants to improve my swing......no it was pretty obvious, imply that I was incompetent and has no place on a golf course, and hence have no right to insist that others don't make the game more difficult for them by moving into my possible hitting zone.

I don't really care whether Im in the minority here, the rules of Golf weren't arrived at by  taking a majority vote on every issue, most people don't care for most of the rules in the book....but they are there to cater for all circumstances and make it fair for everyone.

People that position themselves that restrict the way I swing or where I can hit it are seriously affecting my game(RoG are there to protect my rights here).....if anyone can explain how the game of someone is going to be affected by not being able to move ahead at will(we are talking about balls on fairways,,,,not ones yet to be found in the trees), then let me know.......no..... pace of play is a furfy justification

People that position themselves that restrict the way I swing or where I can hit it are seriously affecting my game(RoG are there to protect my rights here).....if anyone can explain how the game of someone is going to be affected by not being able to move ahead at will(we are talking about balls on fairways,,,,not ones yet to be found in the trees), then let me know.......no..... pace of play is a furfy justification

Sorry, but people are going to walk ahead and there's no rule you can call them out on because no rule pertains to that specifically. Especially in a casual round of golf where the rules are often more lax. I will, however, play you for money any day of the week if that gets under your skin though, because I could give you your six strokes a side and beat you like a drum if you're that easily distracted.

I've tried to help you out here with friendly explanations as to why ALL posts cannot be edited after nine minutes (both through post and PM) as well as trying to help you see why others might find your view on this piece of etiquette to be antiquated and daft. I'm done with that, and will leave you with this and this only:

1) Your expectation is absolutely unrealistic at all levels of play, people will not stay perfectly behind you for every shot

2) There is no rule which prevents me from reasonably moving past you towards my ball, even if it disturbs you provided that I am deemed to not be near the line of play by a rules official

3) I would never want to play with anyone who is this touchy about a subject so minor

I have said my piece multiple times and will be gone from this thread now.

• Upvote 1

.....if indeed he was trying to be helpful, then all that was needed was "the site blocks edits after nine minutes".....not "NO_ONE was TRYING TO BLOCK YOU OUT"......as though I was having a whinge!

Oy vey. You're complaining because you think that you've been labeled a complainer because his original statement of fact used the words "no one" instead of "the site," and otherwise was basically word for word the same as your "acceptable" version? Thats beyond ironic. To the topic, I will walk as far as I can as soon as I can whenever I think it's helpful. Heck, there have been times where I've started walking while the rest of my group is still teeing off - when I've sliced into the next fairway and I'm afraid my balls gonna get stolen, and I can sneak off behind some trees without bothering my playing partners.

[QUOTE name="iacas" url="/t/71432/what-forms-of-golf-etiquette-do-you-ignore-and-why/162#post_1088302"]   I'm at a complete loss as to how that's caustic. Since it's December 26th for you, I hope you had a merry Christmas. Now, back to the topic… [/QUOTE] it was caustic as you were trying to imply I was a serial complainer, blaming others for being blocked out(I wasn't born yesterday) and using this to try and label me as unreasonable in my expectations of etiquette, incapable of reading "please read people's posts" , clear to anyone who looks at the context of your post.......where you personally attack me in every sentnence.........capping it off with that I should read the lessons on how to hit straight so  I can be  a champ like you: .[URL=http://thesandtrap.com/t/71432/what-forms-of-golf-etiquette-do-you-ignore-and-why/144#post_1088187]http://thesandtrap.com/t/71432/what-forms-of-golf-etiquette-do-you-ignore-and-why/144#post_1088187[/URL]

Lol. Wait.. shhhh...did you hear that?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

People that position themselves that restrict the way I swing or where I can hit it are seriously affecting my game

Yeah, I'd agree wholeheartedly with that statement. It just seems as if your definition of that criteria is about five times more strict than the norm. From my view, it's entirely unreasonable. I've never in my life struck a golf shot on which I felt such restrictions caused by the physical position of a playing partner who was more than about 10 feet away from me and not on the direct line where I was aiming.

I just don't see how you're going to be able to comfortably play with very many people, and there's no way that having everyone on the course comply with your standards wouldn't lengthen a round considerably from a time perspective.

John

Sorry, but people are going to walk ahead and there's no rule you can call them out on because no rule pertains to that specifically.

It is covered by the rules outlined in this post: http://thesandtrap.com/t/71432/what-forms-of-golf-etiquette-do-you-ignore-and-why/144#post_1088063

if you refuse to move when asked you will be the one that is in breach of the rules.

To the topic, I will walk as far as I can as soon as I can whenever I think it's helpful. Heck, there have been times where I've started walking while the rest of my group is still teeing off -

hitting a bad shot is not justification for infringing on the rights of those on the tee, you are going to make it more difficult for some because of your movement/position so you get extra time to search for your ball?  You should be waiting till they have all hit, then be hitting a provisional.......if you think its going to be hard to find.

the RoG state five minutes from the time the search has started(and you can enact that if you like), for expediency though an agreement  in our playing groups is we divide that by four if we have four looking for it......and if not found in a minute and 15 seconds  the ball is given up for lost........that's how you play fast.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

To the topic, I will walk as far as I can as soon as I can whenever I think it's helpful. Heck, there have been times where I've started walking while the rest of my group is still teeing off -

hitting a bad shot is not justification for infringing on the rights of those on the tee, you are going to make it more difficult for some because of your movement/position so you get extra time to search for your ball?  You should be waiting till they have all hit, then be hitting a provisional.......if you think its going to be hard to find.

the RoG state five minutes from the time the search has started(and you can enact that if you like), for expediency though an agreement  in our playing groups is we divide that by four if we have four looking for it......and if not found in a minute and 15 seconds  the ball is given up for lost........that's how you play fast.

Why do you play golf?  It does not seem like you enjoy it at all.  Everything bothers you.  It is a game.  Games are supposed to be fun.  You obviously do not seem to be having any fun while playing from the grievances you have been describing.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Turn the phone off!! You can turn it on between shots if you have to.  I hate cells phones on the course....

Amen to this!  If your business is that important stay in the office and off the course.

Butch

I'm a member of a semi-private course and play frequently throughout the season. Pay to play players can drop some $$$ to play the course and tend to assume all rights and at times scrap etiquette because I conclude on the amount paid. When, not often, the starter matches me up with a pay to play 3-some I tend to let the 3-some establish the flow of the round, honor the 3-some's time on the tee box by ether going first or last, promote ready golf but draw the line on: walking in my line of site or talking in backswing and don't get me started on course maintenance (divot repair, ball dents, bunker raking).

Why do you play golf?  It does not seem like you enjoy it at all.  Everything bothers you.  It is a game.  Games are supposed to be fun.  You obviously do not seem to be having any fun while playing from the grievances you have been describing.

Sounds exactly like the questions that arise in my head EVERY time I golf with my dad. :-P

y

A bit disingenuous don't you think?..........really and what research did you do on this?

A quick search in Google and found this: http://golfrewound.com/forums/general-golf-discussion/11606-etiquette-walking-riding-ahead-1.html

Apparently there are many others with the same unique view.

Apparently you dd not read the thread you are linking to as almost everyone disagreed that it is a breach to move ahead.  Just like here.

I wasn't complaining or accusing anyone, just stating a fact.

You could have said,  "admin has decided on a 9min limit on editing", rather than this caustic statement:

perhaps its time to move on yourself when this is your final response to people who don't agree with you.

Or perhaps you could develop a little self-awareness about your own behavior and recognize how rude your statement charging Erik with blocking your editing was.  The 9 minute limit applies to EVERYONE.  No one singled you out.  Your assumption of the victim role was misplaced.  But rather than acknowledge that you double down on your victimization?  LOL

I go along with what @Fourputt said, too: There is basically no theoretical argument for walking ahead - it's quite clear that you shouldn't do it. However, when playing outside of competitions, it can speed up play, and I actually believe it can reduce the pressure on the player with the shorter shot, as not everyone is standing there waiting for him to play. However, as in everything else on the golf course, safety and common courtesy should never be forgotten. Assuming all balls are in play (if someone has lost theirs, of course I'll help them look for it, though even then: if I am the only one on the other side of a wide fairway, and there are already three guys looking for the lost ball, then I'll think twice about it), I will walk in the direction of my ball, making sure I am fully aware of how close the other player is to making his next shot. As soon as he is ready to address his ball, I will stand still and turn to watch him play. At this point, I may still be a good distance away from my ball - if my ball is on the fairway, I will probably be standing in the rough in a position which allows me to reach my ball quicker than other wise for my next shot.

It goes without saying that I will never encroach on his line. I think the net result of this is not only to speed up play, but to reduce pressure all round (the guy with the shorter shot is most likely to be in that position regularly, which can lead to the group behind catching up, again piling on the pressure on that guy).

I agree with everything except your first couple of sentences.  It is NOT quite clear that you shouldn't do it.  And  think you are MORE likely to see it be done IN COMPETITIONS at the highest level - .e, the various pro tours, where it happens routinely.

It is covered by the rules outlined in this post: http://thesandtrap.com/t/71432/what-forms-of-golf-etiquette-do-you-ignore-and-why/144#post_1088063

if you refuse to move when asked you will be the one that is in breach of the rules.

You should definitely call someone on that in a competition.  Please get video.

Your group just disqualified yourselves for agreeing to waive a rule of golf.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

• Administrator

it was caustic as you were trying to imply I was a serial complainer, blaming others for being blocked out(I wasn't born yesterday)

I was not. Since it's my post, and I'm the only person who can know what I was thinking at the time, you'll simply have to accept that.

I thought you might have been saying that you thought a person had blocked you from editing, so I replied to say that it's a standard thing on the site, not the actions anyone took against you specifically.

incapable of reading "please read people's posts"

I said that because you said that people were suggesting that continuing to walk while someone was playing was okay, and thus far I don't believe ANYONE has said that.

clear to anyone who looks at the context of your post.......where you personally attack me in every sentnence.........capping it off with that I should read the lessons on how to hit straight so  I can be  a champ like you:

.http://thesandtrap.com/t/71432/what-forms-of-golf-etiquette-do-you-ignore-and-why/144#post_1088187

Over-react much?

Since July, 2012, this is the only thread in which you've posted. We give out a lot of information for free. If you don't want to shoot lower scores, okay… don't take advantage of the free stuff information we've put out there. Strikes me as an odd way to use a forum, but hey, to each his own.

I was simply encouraging you to participate in other threads because you seem to have a very narrow focus, and your narrow focus seems to be leading to a lot of negativity, while this site has many, many positive things to offer every golfer. If you don't want to read anything about improving your scores, then there are STILL many other threads you can visit.

You realize, as @Golfingdad pointed out, that the two sentences are almost identical, right? You're reading entirely too much into things.

he wants to improve my swing......no it was pretty obvious, imply that I was incompetent and has no place on a golf course, and hence have no right to insist that others don't make the game more difficult for them by moving into my possible hitting zone.

No such thing took place. Sorry. I'm the only one in a position to know.

Nobody's said you don't have the right. People do, however, disagree with you.

Originally Posted by sac1

I don't really care whether Im in the minority here, the rules of Golf weren't arrived at by  taking a majority vote on every issue, most people don't care for most of the rules in the book....but they are there to cater for all circumstances and make it fair for everyone.

To be fair, you seem to be easily distracted, and to take things to extremes.

I haven't read of anyone here "restricting the way you swing."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 3421 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!