IGNORED

GPS watch or handheld?

Note:Β This thread is 2832 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I currently use the golflogix app on my phone, but I absolutely HATE having anything besides divot tool and tees in my pocket, so I end up leaving the phone on the cart.Β  That is the primary reason that I believe I would prefer a watch over a handheld device.

With that being said, I deem a watch to be jewelry, and I don't like the idea of wearing ANY jewelry when I'm playing sports (baseball/softball, flag football, basketball, weightlifting, golf, tennis).Β  It drives me crazy.Β  My watch and my wedding band come off.Β  IΒ own some inexpensive beaded necklaces/bracelets (that only look cool lounging on the beach).Β  I haven't worn earrings in nearly a decade, but I would remove those too. :-D

My dad has a Garmin S1 (I think that's the model he has...) and he LOVES IT.Β  I'm going to break down and purchase one in the near future, but I might try wearing a regular watch for a few rounds just to see if it irks me too much

Nike Covert 2.0 driver with Kuro Kage

Nike Covert Tour 3 wood

Nike Covert 5Β wood

Nike CovertΒ 4 hybrid

Nike VRS Forged irons 5i-GW

Callaway Forged WedgeΒ 56deg

Callaway X-Forged Wedge 60deg

Odyssey White Hot XG #9 putter
2015 Sun Mountain Tour Series cart bag

Hey guys,

I have personally been doing a lot of market research on the GPS golf watches including surveying users of the watch. Everyone loves the convenience of having the yardages right there on your wrist. The number 1 complaint with them has been their size and weight being a distraction. Just something to keep in your mind if you are not use to wearing a watch when you play because they are fairly large watches and might be a distraction. Just pop over to a golf store and smack some in the simulator with one on before you decide to buy is my suggestion!

Hey guys,

I have personally been doing a lot of market research on the GPS golf watches including surveying users of the watch. Everyone loves the convenience of having the yardages right there on your wrist. The number 1 complaint with them has been their size and weight being a distraction. Just something to keep in your mind if you are not use to wearing a watch when you play because they are fairly large watches and might be a distraction. Just pop over to a golf store and smack some in the simulator with one on before you decide to buy is my suggestion!

Being a commercial lobsterman I have never been able to wear a watch. The bait juices tend to irritate your skin under the watch band causing Β painful guerry sores. So it was with trepidation that I purchased the Garmin S1. I won't wear it when I am lobstering but it is very light and after I would estimate 10 rounds I would really miss it if I didn't have it on.

More of a GPS comment here tbh but I was always afraid of buying a gps because I figured that the mapping might not be very exact done online or whatever, this put me off because the reason I wanted a unit was to take away the guess work out of club selection. Some wouldn't get that but I can't swing with authority until I know I'm holding the correct club and playing the correct shot. So anyways I'm googling one day and I found that the older model of the bushnell neo plus allowed you to either pay a $20 sub or map the course yourself. I bought one off eBay for $50 and mapped my home course and a few more I'd regularly play. It stores 10 courses. I'd highly recommend it. I have a Nikon laser for when I'm playing away from home but I prefer the bushnell. The other great thing about mapping the course your self is you can map the point the ball won't roll back from or the upper part of tiered greens. It's also very small In Your pocket you wouldn't notice it unless you are in speedos. Anyway this isn't an ad for them I don't think you can but them new anymore, I just wanted to add to the chat in case this helps someone else.

I was given a Garmin G3 Approach GPS by my wife and have to say that its a fantastic little device. Nice colour touch screen giving distance from your current location to where ever you are pointing on the screen and then to the green. Quite handy when playing as its on a mount on my trolley. I would think that with a watch and its smaller screen the information presented to you will be much more "compact" eh? Regards Mailman

Mailman

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would be afraid if I had the watch that i would use it TOO much. I love my skycaddie but sometimes I tend to over use it and lose my sense of range estimation. I guess i'm always afraid i'll be lost if I can't use it.

I have never worn any watch but got a garmin s3 for Xmas, and I like it! I don't realise I've got on when swinging, I too I'm worried I'll get too dependant on it, so I always guess the club first then look at the watch as reference, It's certainly the most convenient style of GPS, instant yardage at a glance of the wrist! What could be simpler?? Also the s3 lets you add upto 5 markers per hole, so you can add distances to hazards on courses you play regularly! It also keeps scores and stats, not that I'll use it for that! They've just brought an s4 out, which does everything the s3 does but also syncs to your I phone and let's ya know if ya been emailed, text, or called without getting ya phone out! Again, Not features I'll ever need, so for me the s3 rocks and will take some beating!

Gaz Lee

I have the Golf Buddy World Platinum. It is so cool. 40,000 courses pre-loaded. No membership of any kind, free updates, nothing ever costs you any more after the purchase. Watches, okay I understand the convenience, and like some say you would have to 'fiddle around inside of the cart' or your bag for the GPS... really? Most people seem to be able to handle their cell phones with ease though.... I keep my GPS right in the cup holder when I ride or drive the cart, without any problem, and I can't play a fiddle :) It shows up great even in the brightest sun. When I arrive at the course, I turn it on, and it automatically finds the course. The nice sized screen as opposed to the size of a watch screen clearly shows me hazards and distances to them and other information that watches just don't show as readible. All on a easy to see color screen. And I'm 62, I can see all this without my bifocals which I don't wear when I play. Love my GB WP... at least check it out before you buy something else. I took one Saturday last summer, and checked them all out first, and this is the one I bought. So glad I did.

I have had fourΒ GPS devices (3 SkyCaddie and 1 Garmin)Β and I have played with many who have had the hand held, lasered devices. Without a doubt in my opinion the SkyCaddie Watch is the way to go if you already know the course.

If you don't know the course,Β then the otherΒ SkyCaddie models offer far more information than you can get from the Watch or Apps.

Ideally, unless you are low single digit handicapper, if you can afford it the best thing would be a SkyCaddie Watch and aΒ SkyCaddieΒ SGX GPS model for more pre-green details. If you can really, really dial in your distances, then use the laser models.

The Watch is fantastic for the short game during real play. Β Front, middle and back with a little interpretation from the pin sheets and/or sight.

My experience with the Garmin was very poor, not very accurate from lasered course distances. Β The SkyCaddie was within a yard; the Garmin was off 5+ yards.

I have had fourΒ GPS devices (3 SkyCaddie and 1 Garmin)Β and I have played with many who have had the hand held, lasered devices. Without a doubt in my opinion the SkyCaddie Watch is the way to go if you already know the course.

If you don't know the course,Β then the otherΒ SkyCaddie models offer far more information than you can get from the Watch or Apps.

Ideally, unless you are low single digit handicapper, if you can afford it the best thing would be a SkyCaddie Watch and aΒ SkyCaddieΒ SGX GPS model for more pre-green details. If you can really, really dial in your distances, then use the laser models.

The Watch is fantastic for the short game during real play. Β Front, middle and back with a little interpretation from the pin sheets and/or sight.

My experience with the Garmin was very poor, not very accurate from lasered course distances. Β The SkyCaddie was within a yard; the Garmin was off 5+ yards.

And yet I've used my Garmin G5 side by side with numerous SkyCaddies, and they are generally within a yard of each other. Β I've also checked it against the professionally lasered fairway markers on my home course, and its right on with those too. Β Add in that it shows significant trees, all bunkers and hazards, and the big key for me is the ability to set an intermediateΒ layup target that gives me both the distance from me to the target and from the target to the pin (which I'll have already moved into correct position). Β As long as I execute the shot, I haven't missed a layup in years. Β When you'reΒ a short knocker like me, it's worth the price just to be able to plan a comfortable distance for the next shot - I use this feature on almost every par 5 hole I play, as well as on most short par 4Β holes.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

• 4 months later...

Bottom LIne: The "sight devices" are great for "to the pin" distances. Β These don't tell us much about carry distances. Β How many of us are that good and consistent? Β Generally speaking, until you get to be a 3 hdcsp. or better, "to the pin" distances are wonderful but not entirely useful. Β It depends on club type, ball spin, trajectory, etc.

The GPS devices are far better for minimum and maximum carry distances, front-middle-back distances. Love the simplicity and ease of the watches.

I didn't wear a watch when golfing for years, but I love my Garmin S1. I don't even notice that that it is on my wrist and it is very convenient to glace at it when I am selecting a club.

I have found it to be very accurate, but haveΒ noticed that it is sometimes different by a yard or two relative to other GPS units. That differenceΒ appears to beΒ a function of how each company maps the greens and determines where the middle is. I am not good enough to worry about a one or two yard difference in where the middle of the green is. I play a course that was redesigned a couple of years ago and the yardages were way off because tee boxes and greens were moved. I contacted Garmin and we exchanged some emails and satellite photos and they have updated it.

I loe the Garmin S1. The few times I've forgotten the watch, I felt naked. Front, middle, back is all I need. I've always worn a watch while golfing so I don't know I have it on.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I have the garmin S3 watch, and although it has a few more features than the S1, I really only use it for the front and middle distance that's clearly displayed at all times! I've never worn a watch, period! But I strap this baby on before every round and I never know it's there till I need it! Not heavy at all, super convenient at a glance distances, I can also measure my drives/approaches accurately! plus it lasts me 2 1/2 rounds between charging! It's perfect!.... For a walker like me!

Gaz Lee

My buddy recently got a Garmin S3 and it is pretty cool. Β The best function I have seen of the watch style. Β I have had a Skycaddie SGXw for a couple/few years and I like its function overall.

The things I like

1.) Score including, fairway (hit missed left or right), Putts and score.

2.) I like being able to move the cursor to judge layups. Β I play on courses with many obstacles in the layup zone. Β It is nice to be able to know how far and how much to carry.

3.) You can move the cursor on the green, I can come within a yard or two of a laser every time (from a reasonable distance). Β I also own a laser and I am confident about this.

4.) The W is for wifi, I can upload my scores are home or at the club for instant viewing.

5.) Tracking distance of clubs. Β Important to know, solid strikes and not so solid!

Overall it is a good package.

What I do not like.

1.) Optical track pad is inconsistent.

2.) Battery does not last two rounds every time.

3.) Overall it feels a little cheap.

If I was going to replace it I am not sure which way I would go. Β Probably with full size GPS, not sure it would be a Skycaddie I would have to revisit that.

Bottom LIne: The "sight devices" are great for "to the pin" distances. Β These don't tell us much about carry distances. Β How many of us are that good and consistent? Β Generally speaking, until you get to be a 3 hdcsp. or better, "to the pin" distances are wonderful but not entirely useful. Β It depends on club type, ball spin, trajectory, etc.

The GPS devices are far better for minimum and maximum carry distances, front-middle-back distances. Love the simplicity and ease of the watches.

I would argue all day long that this is baloney. Β Granted, when I've got a 4-iron in my hands the center of the green is good enough, but even mid-high handicappers have a lot to gain from precise distances to the flag from 100 yards in. Β The GPS units can easily be off 30 feet depending on the pin position, and when I've got an L-wedge or sand wedge in my hands I want to know the EXACT yardage to the flag.

I have an S1 watch I use for longer shots, but under 150 yards I'll pull out the laser every time.

You can estimate the distance to the green and stuff by knowing the distance to the flag. Let's say the green is 20 yards deep and you see the flag in the middle. That means you got roughly 10 yards shorter to carry the green. On long approach shots, I may shoot the pin and take off 10-20 yards when selecting a club. That gives me room to let the ball roll out on the green.

You can also shoot bunker edges, trees and stuff to find other distances. I don't agree that you don't need to-the-pin distances until handicap 3 or better. When I'm playing well, I want to shoot pin high with wedges and short irons.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot ProΒ | Callaway X-Utility 3iΒ | Mizuno MX-700 23ΒΊ | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15ΒΊ | Titleist 910 D2 9,5ΒΊ | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Note:Β This thread is 2832 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!