IGNORED

Steve Elkington on Twitter

iacas
Note: This thread is 3209 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

I said it about 10+ years ago to a girl of Chinese decent, she looked at me like I called her the n word. I hadn't said it in a million years because it never came up. I had no idea it had been put on the black list...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE3XLIY0aUI&feature;=youtube_gdata_player

Yea, I don't know, I just never saw the word as offensive. Most people I know refer to Chinese, Japanese, Korean people, et al as Asians, anyway.

That's typically how I refer to myself anyway, since people get confused about Taiwan in general.

I'm half Taiwanese, and think we should just categorize ourselves as "Pacific Islanders". That should rid any confusion. ;-)

Seriously, though. I haven't found "Oriental" offensive either.

It's all about the manner in which it was delivered.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by legitimatebeef

Saying oriental is more embarrassing for the user of the word than it is offensive to Asians. The word orient means "the east" so basically it's a usage that harkens back to like, the old world, a time when westerners knew next to nothing about the Asian continent and just lumped everything together. The "far east"--land of chop suey, bamboo hats and geisha girls.

This is more extreme, it's like someone from China referring to the US as the Occident. All those products/companies with the word Orient/Oriental in them, eg Oriental Mandarin Hotel, they originate from the 19th century.

I got here by Occident.... I am predominately Italian and my heritage is widely stereotyped so I hardly feel bad about stereotyping. I also feel words are words but used in hate is they should be refrained from. If some one is referred to as "oriental" as from a location, is hardly racist, it is a personal preference. Using it in terms of hate yes. I think that Elkington is just a dick in general and probably truly racist so I don't know that he should be listened to or respected as a person. He makes comments that are bullyish and ignorant frequently. If you use slang terms to describe a race, you only display your ignorance. Words against Caucasians are rarely made a big deal about ex: wops, frogs, limey's... I don't get where the cut off is. "Dago bastard" or "Oriental bastard"...which is worse? Dago or Wop is said to me at times like I should just laugh it off... I don't let it bother me but the hypocrisy is annoying.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I'm half Taiwanese, and think we should just categorize ourselves as "Pacific Islanders". That should rid any confusion. ;-) Seriously, though. I haven't found "Oriental" offensive either. It's all about the manner in which it was delivered.

See, I consider myself Chinese, even though I come from Taiwan. Pacific Islander, to me, is more like Samoan, or Fijian. Basically, South Pacific. But you're right, it's not about the word but the manner and intent to which it is used.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

Could we get back to the actual topic please?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

I'm half Taiwanese, and think we should just categorize ourselves as "Pacific Islanders". That should rid any confusion.

Seriously, though. I haven't found "Oriental" offensive either.

It's all about the manner in which it was delivered.

See, I consider myself Chinese, even though I come from Taiwan.

Pacific Islander, to me, is more like Samoan, or Fijian. Basically, South Pacific.

But you're right, it's not about the word but the manner and intent to which it is used.

There's good evidence that Austronesian's (SouthEast Asian's) are of Chinese descent from one time or another. We might or might not have migrated from Africa or developed a few million years ago in the Yunnan province, but Southeast Asian People are very likely from the same lineage. Even out west, the Mongolians and other Northwestern Asian people have Chinese along with Persian, Arabic and European influence as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austronesian_people

In short, we're all "Oriental". Of course if you go far back enough, Europeans are also Oriental or African mixed with Neanderthal. Plus, there is a very high likelihood that we are from the same lineage. It has yet to be proven scientifically, but the research is looking pretty good.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I don't think what Elk said is any different than what a lot of TST'ers said on the Michael Sam thread.  In light of that, I'm surprised that nobody has defended Elk, yet.

Referring to regions of the world as being East or West doesn't make much sense to me, since the earth is round and all.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

• Administrator

I don't think what Elk said is any different than what a lot of TST'ers said on the Michael Sam thread.  In light of that, I'm surprised that nobody has defended Elk, yet.

I didn't see anyone here making jokes about handbags.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Well, I think it would be too bad if these things tipped his career into the dumpster.

His back-tracking on the statements he made does show that he is trying to correct them.

Golf, unfortunately, has a lot of negative bias stereotypes associated with it, and I suppose these types of statements from PGA professionals probably doesn't help much.

Edit: I just read a lot of his tweets. He's prone to saying whatever comes to mind. Probably should give some thought first before tweeting his 60,000+ followers.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

yeah, that one was pretty bad.  the two you quoted in the original post were basically the same though.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

• Administrator

yeah, that one was pretty bad.  the two you quoted in the original post were basically the same though.

I'm confused. I put the two tweets there:

ESPN covering Michael Sam as a gay athlete is embarrassing .....
-- Steve Elkington (@elkpga) February 25, 2014

ESPN reporting Michael Sam is leading the handbag throw at NFL combine.... No one else expected to throw today
-- Steve Elkington (@elkpga) February 25, 2014

The second one is the handbag one. But anyway… I'm fine being confused. No worries. :)

A handbag-throwing joke FROM A MAN WHO PAYS ANOTHER MAN TO LIFT HIS GOLF BAG.

— Jeff MacGregor (@MacGregorESPN) February 25, 2014

Crickets...

It doesn't count if they're not real Louis Vuittons :-)

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

The second one is the handbag one. But anyway… I'm fine being confused. No worries. :)

Good, me too. :doh:

This is what happens when I get caught between "must get back to work" and "one last post..."  I get careless.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

Twitter is like a giant bug light to nitwits.  They can't help themselves.  They are attracted to the attention they receive.  But it does expose them and how moronic they really are no matter what other talent they may have.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Twitter is like a giant bug light to nitwits.  They can't help themselves.  They are attracted to the attention they receive.  But it does expose them and how moronic they really are no matter what other talent they may have.

What everyone should do is imagine that they are sitting in front of an audience of 60,000+ people before uttering a single tweet.

Steve Elkington and Caitlin Upton (Former Miss South Carolina) go roughly in the same category. Maybe, I'm being a little unfair to Caitlin? :-$:whistle:

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

What everyone should do is imagine that they are sitting in front of an audience of 60,000+ people before uttering a single tweet.

Steve Elkington and Caitlin Upton (Former Miss South Carolina) go roughly in the same category. Maybe, I'm being a little unfair to Caitlin?

Right on the mark.  When you say things, people can forgive a bit because responses can be too quick. When you write them, you have to had thought about what you were going to write a bit more.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Bogans do struggle with social media at the best of times.

All my posts, wrapped up in a single word. Too bad it's a self deprecating word.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 3209 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!