IGNORED

2014 Masters Discussion Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 3664 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The Aussies certainly are having a good year on the PGA. Is that 4 wins now?! I'd love to see a Brit win this week (totally unbiased) but I can't see it.

• Administrator

This from @ The_Masters "For everyone’s safety, we have asked patrons to clear the grounds and take shelter accordingly."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

[COLOR=292F33]This from[/COLOR] [COLOR=0084B4][URL=https://twitter.com/The_Masters][COLOR=66B5D2]@[/COLOR]The_Masters[/URL][/COLOR] [COLOR=292F33]"For everyone’s safety, we have asked patrons to clear the grounds and take shelter accordingly."[/COLOR]

It's not the weather, though, as you may expect ... But rather, Phil Mickelson is just starting his practice round. ;)

• Upvote 2

It's not the weather, though, as you may expect ... But rather, Phil Mickelson is just starting his practice round. ;)

They should hand out hardhats then!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Due to inclement weather, they have closed the gates and will not reopen today. Purchasers of Monday Practice Round tickets will get refunds and be guaranteed an opportunity to buy Practice Round tickets for 2015.

Here is the interesting part. What happens to the people who bought these tickets on the secondary market? I'll bet that a lot of the people who had the opportunity to buy the Practic Round tickets sold them on the secondary market for a huge profit ( I did it myself a few years back).

Bill M

The good news about the bad weather is this is the only day it is forecast to be bad. The rest of the week looks perfect. Of course, forecasts change so knock on wood....but at least for now, according to weather.com, looks like a great week.

Due to inclement weather, they have closed the gates and will not reopen today. Purchasers of Monday Practice Round tickets will get refunds and be guaranteed an opportunity to buy Practice Round tickets for 2015.

Here is the interesting part. What happens to the people who bought these tickets on the secondary market? I'll bet that a lot of the people who had the opportunity to buy the Practic Round tickets sold them on the secondary market for a huge profit ( I did it myself a few years back).

That sucks ... there was a guy here on TST who said he got tickets for today, wasn't there??  (I couldn't find the thread, maybe he just posted in this thread a ways back.)

That's a good point. At least the ticket holders will get something back.

Will W

The weather here in Augusta SUCKS today.  Weather.com is telling me that it's 58 degrees, but it feels like 40.  It's supposed to be great the rest of the week.  Rain today was probably a blessing, because it's been pretty dry.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

I just watched the "Stadler" interview, father and son playing together in the masters is pretty awesome. I'm fortunate enough to play with my father often, but couldn't imagine playing in an event of this magnitude. They both said it will not effect them on an emotional/mental level.... Whattya think??

IN MY 

2014 :titleist: Lightweight Cart BAG:

DRIVER: :titleist: 913D2
3&5 Wood:  :titleist: 913F

HYBRIDS: :ping: G20 20* 
IRONS: :tmade: 09 Burners 4-PW
WEDGES: :vokey: 52 & 56*

PUTTER: :ping: 

The weather here in Augusta SUCKS today.  Weather.com is telling me that it's 58 degrees, but it feels like 40.  It's supposed to be great the rest of the week.  Rain today was probably a blessing, because it's been pretty dry.

How many days are you there?

Will W

How many days are you there?

114 days.

I'm not here for the tournament, I'm at Fort Gordon for temporary duty.  I tried to get a ticket--missed the lottery, and not willing to pay $500.  I might go trolling for exit badges one of the days.

Kevin

114 days.

I'm not here for the tournament, I'm at Fort Gordon for temporary duty.  I tried to get a ticket--missed the lottery, and not willing to pay $500.  I might go trolling for exit badges one of the days.

Saw a sign today inside the gates that said badges needed to be scanned to allow re-entry. I'm wondering if the practice round badge is still valid for re-sale and usable if they weren't properly re-scanned on exit.  You might want to make sure that whoever you buy from had it done.  Wasn't like that few years ago - used to head out there about 2 pm if I didn't have a badge and usually got in for $20. Even getting a few hours was worth it, imo.

I was stationed at DDEAMC and would always put in for Thursdays for the Ft Gordon lottery and usually got a badge - and got there as early as possible and was one of the last "patrons" on the grounds. Couldn't get enough of the grounds -  fortunate also to get practice round badges for most days that I was stationed there (two x 3 yr assignments).  Good golf in the area (Gordon Lakes, Jones Creek, Forrest Hills, Cedar Creek, Goshen - even the public courses like Augusta GC (The Patch) and Aiken's city course were fun to play - as well as so many of the courses in SC (Hickory Knob, Pineridge, Persimmon Hill). Makes me want to return to the area.

• Upvote 1

Flipping to golf channel...saw some guys hitting on the range at sunset in cold steady rain.  Which made me wonder something.  Why would they be out hitting balls in cold rain when the rest of the week is going to have near-perfect weather?  It's not like missing a few buckets on one afternoon is going to ruin your swing.  I know that when I play in the rain I tend to shorten and slow my swing, which isn't a motion they'll need to practice for this event.

I'm sure it means nothing, but that's what came to mind.

Kevin

I've just had a little punt. Got Dufner to win. He hasn't been at his best lately but he is a cool customer and I fancy him to have a good week. Patrick Reed to finish in the top 5. Too much of a difficult course for an amateur to win but he'll give it a good shot.

Amazing stat from Chamblee: only 7 different lefties have played The Masters since 2003. 3 of those 7 players have won 5 of those 11 tourneys.
  • Upvote 1

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Amazing stat from Chamblee: only 7 different lefties have played The Masters since 2003. 3 of those 7 players have won 5 of those 11 tourneys.

Interesting.  Hypothesis:  scoring on the par-5s is key, both to overall scoring potential and intimidation factor on the second nine.  3 of the 4 par-5s require moving the ball right-to-left, and if you can hit that shot high and soft (i.e. a fade shot) then you'll have a slight advantage.

(That said, I don't think Weir would have won if it hadn't been so wet and sloppy in 2003.  He doesn't hit the ball high, and he primarily hits a draw.  The course was so wet that year that traj and shape didn't matter as much.)

More likely it's just a statistical coincidence, but that's an interesting fact.

Shamble just said "Tiger is the oldest 38-year old golfer in the history of the game."  Apparently Shamble has never heard of a man named Ben Hogan.

Kevin

Note: This thread is 3664 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!