IGNORED

Golfer's Elbow

Cuz
Note: This thread is 1879 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

excuse my two cents...but vicodin with an additional anti-inflammatory puts you at high risk for a peptic ulcer. Vicodin already contains paracetamol as is, and the combination of a narcotic with an anti-inflammatory that isn't paracetamol is a bad idea.

No it isn't. The paracetamol (acetaminophen, or tylenol) is not an NSAID and will not cause ulcers. He prescribed it to lower the pain level and thus decrease the need for NSAIDS, protecting against gastric ulcers. There's no need to worry about peptic ulcers unless you've had those in the past, in which case NSAIDS (but not acetaminophen) could cause them to bleed.

No it isn't. The paracetamol (acetaminophen, or tylenol) is not an NSAID and will not cause ulcers. He prescribed it to lower the pain level and thus decrease the need for NSAIDS, protecting against gastric ulcers. There's no need to worry about peptic ulcers unless you've had those in the past, in which case NSAIDS (but not acetaminophen) could cause them to bleed.

yes i agree for the most part. to me it sounded like the OP was prescribed Vicodin in addition to an nsaid.

if that's the case, wouldnt the combination of the hydrocodone in the vicodin with a non-narcotic ai/analgesic such as put you at risk of developing an ulcer? And shouldnt the paracetamol already in the vicodin function enough as an anti-inflammatory to not warrant additional AI drugs?

TMX Carry Bag
Tour Burner 9.5*
Burner 3W 15*
Burner Rescue Hybrid 19*
r7 TP 4i-SW Dynamic Gold S300s 60* CG-14 Circa 62 #2 & Studio Stainless Newport 2 Pro V1x

if that's the case, wouldnt the combination of the hydrocodone in the vicodin with a non-narcotic ai/analgesic such as put you at risk of developing an ulcer?

no.....hydrocodone is not a NSAID(Non Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory - which can cause gastritis/ulcers)

And shouldnt the paracetamol already in the vicodin function enough as an anti-inflammatory to not warrant additional AI drugs?

Paracetamol has no anti-inflammatory effect. Its just a painkiller

thanks for the advice ... i'll keep everyone here updated on my condition as i continue to play golf.

2010 Staff Bag
2010 S2 Driver - Stiff - (-.5")
2010 S2 3 Wood - Stiff
2010 Baffler TWS Hybrids 3 & 4
2010 MP-58 5-PW Irons - (+.5") 2010 MP-T10 Black Satin 52° - 56° - 60° - (+.5") 2009 Black Carbon 2 Putter Winn Grip e6Photos of my bag Golf Galaxy Wisconsin Amateur Tour PlayerGolf...

• 4 months later...

Hi All
I have been reading the various replies re tennis elbow with interest.
I have quite bad tennis elbow on the left side.
This is lateral epicondylitis altho the proper term is extensor tendinosis and probably results from the supinating action of the left forearm at and post impact.( I am a radiologist with interest in sports and musculoskeletal radiology)
I will soon be switching to graphite shafts on all my irons (currently Nike ProComboOS with orig steel shafts - TT TX90).
Will have to put graphite in my Cleveland wedges too!!
I think the weight reduction will help.
Does anyone have any opinion re grip sizing?
Should i go for a little bigger or smaller than ideal?
( tennis players who suffer this problem are advised to reduce grip size )
Best regards for the New Year.

• 4 weeks later...
I don't know if you'll see this. I found this old post while searching for something else.

1. A golf swing should not hurt you. If you got the aggravation from golf and not some other activity, you could change your swing to eliminate the pain. Whether you want to invest the time to do that is your choice.

2. You have tight areas in the muscles of your forearm/triceps that can be worked out to alleviate the pain (and end it if your swing doesn't aggravate it). Either visit a good neuromuscular therapist, or other deep tissue therapist, or buy the book The Trigger Point Manual by Clair Davies. In the book, there are charts that show you where to look for the trouble spots, and how to work them.

I've been there and recovered completely. I wish the same for you.

Many thanks.
I have found that NSAIDs help .
I have switched to lighter clubs ie graphite in the irons that dont really sacrifice feel as the swing weight is D2, and this has made a huge difference :)

• 2 years later...

Since I retired 3 years ago I have averaged more than 110 rounds a year. For Upstate NY that is quite a bit of golf. About a week ago, seemingly out of  nowhere I have developed am annoying pain on the inside of my right elbow. Internet diagnosis is a rather classic case of golfer's elbow. I have not played in nearly a week and the pain is still there. Maybe someone can answer some questions for me...

First, could the pain be a result of my re-gripping my pitching wedge and 9 iron?  I regripped with Lamkin N-Dur with the right hand build up with extra tape. I really can not think of any other changes in my game that might have triggered the pain.

Second. Does the pressure strap I see some players wearing on their forearm really help absorb the shock and prevent pains like this? I used a similar jumper's knee strap for a sore knee and really was not sure it helped. Thanks.

Driver :T Edge CB-1 or Cally Mini Driver 14* or GBB 11*
Tour Edge CB2 15* 3 wood (Best Club Ever!)

Callaway XR 5Wood (New BCE!)

Hybrids: Nike SQ 23*  Tour Edge 28*

Irons: TMade RAC  7-PW   T Flight 56 SWedge
Putter: Odyssey 2 Ball Blade, SStroke flatside to hole

Had this problem about a year ago. Got so bad I couldn't shake your hand with any grip at all.

I discovered (quite by accident) a few stretching routines that made the pain go away, and hasn't been back since. And I play year round.

I start by raising my arm palm up, in front of me. I then bend my palm upwards/towards me. Using my other hand, I pull it in tight as I can stand for a about 10 seconds, then rotate the hand away from my body i.e., left hand is rotated counterclockwise, right hand is rotated clockwise. I take it as far as I can comfortably stand, and hold for maybe 10 seconds. Release.

I then raise my arm palm down, raise the back of the hand towards me, and then using the other hand pull it back as far as I am comfortable with.

I alternate between these two for a few min a day to keep the tendons and muscles loose, and the tendon pain in my elbows has gone away.

Like I said, I've been pain free for about a year now. YMMV...

In the Bag

Ping i15 8* Diamana Whiteboard

Titleist 909f3 13.5* Aldila NV

Ping S57 3-PW KBS C-taper

Macgregor 52, 56, and 60 wedges

SC Newport 2.5

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Elbow pain in golf can be caused by several things.

Here is a post written to address the most common reasons.

http://golffitnessandinjuryprevention.com/?p=20

The second part (addendum) here:

http://golffitnessandinjuryprevention.com/?p=52

Hope that helps some.

Yessir, that hurts!!  I finally went to the the Doc last year for the same thing..he gave me a cortisone shot in the elbow and instructed to lay off for a week or so, and to get one of those straps you mentioned. I certainly lightened up my grip pressure, assuming that may have caused it and have had no problems..............with the elbow ;-)

RICE, rest ice compression elevation is an acronym to address strains and sprain.  You have a strain.  Best way to ice I have found is what physical therapist use, ice massage.  Take some Dixie cups and freeze water in them.  Peel back paper to expose the open end ice.  Massage the area of pain with ice for 5 minutes.  It will be cold.  It works better than long icing methods.

Do this 2-3 times a day for a few days until the pain subsides.  If you play or practice, ice down after playing.  I keep a zip lock bag and ace wrap in my car for just this.  Get ice from the club house or store and wrap it for the ride home.

There are also compression straps for tennis/golf elbow.  They are very effective at keeping the tendon compressed while you play.  I've got one and it's easy to use when you play.

Stretching.  There are some simple stretches that will help.  Don't do them until your pain has subsided though as they can aggravate the strain.  Do them gently.

Lastly, rest is part of the solution.  Take a couple of days off and do the icing and compression wrap on doing daily activities.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thank you for the posts and advice.

I am currently on a "to the beach" vacation so that should help with the rest.

I am trying the stretching exercises... turning just right still finds the soreness.

I think I will add the strap once I am back playing.

As for my golf swing... I know I do breakdown and flip on occasion.

I still suspect the re-gripping might have been the first domino to fall...

I love the slightly bigger grip with more 'bite' for chipping...

but it may have caused me to start flipping on pitch shots and 1/2 shots.

I also recently changed to ultra slim Super Shooter grip from tall putter...

Maybe the 'slimmer' grip from the putter changed something??? I putt left hand low.

Doesn't seem like putting would much strain on tendon though...

Driver :T Edge CB-1 or Cally Mini Driver 14* or GBB 11*
Tour Edge CB2 15* 3 wood (Best Club Ever!)

Callaway XR 5Wood (New BCE!)

Hybrids: Nike SQ 23*  Tour Edge 28*

Irons: TMade RAC  7-PW   T Flight 56 SWedge
Putter: Odyssey 2 Ball Blade, SStroke flatside to hole

To OP:

wmiller has suggested some exercises my therapist gave me last year for cubital tunnel syndrome (too much PC mousing with right hand).

This season, I'm having pain in my right wrist. Hurt if first on a heavy shot on a swampy day in May, then hurt it (and left wrist) using a post-hole digger to put in fence posts in my back yard in early June. Then, right wrist started hurting again Friday after a three-day burst of golf (warmed up, played 18, and then hit practice shots afterward like all dedicated golfers are supposed to).

The pain centers around the underside of the wrist, and seems to start when I apply grip pressure including ring and little finger. Doing ice and ibuprofin at night, and heat in morning. Should probably limit myself to chipping and putting the next few days.

Not sure what kind of shafts you have on your irons and wedges. Supposedly graphite shafts are easier on joints and tendons than steel. One help for steel shafts is Sensicore inserts (True Temper) which could be put in when your regrip next. Also, irons with inserts such as gel (Cleveland) or elastomer (Titleist) supposedly are easier on arms and hands.

BTW, I admire anyone who can play 110 rounds of golf a year. Fortunately, I'm to the point where I can play twice a week the rest of the summer, a big improvement in my quality of life.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I got severe golfers elbow after my round Friday. A few hours after my round I couldn't get my left arm straight at all, no matter how hard I tried. Golfed Sunday morning with it and I still couldn't straighten it completely but didn't seem to affect my game too much. Today it is still sore but better, and my left bicep/shoulder feels extremely tired.

I used to play Tennis competitively and had to give up the game because I used to get it so bad in my right elbow....now it's my left.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Note: This thread is 1879 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!