IGNORED

Idea for a new type of tournament

dnaygs
Note: This thread is 3629 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

No holes on the green, no putting, and no score per hole.

You must hit every single fairway, and every single green in regulation, or you're out.  Last man standing wins.  How long do you think you could last?  How long do you think a pro could last?

That would be interesting to see.

I suppose I would last about .5 holes.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Kyle Anthony would be good because OB would be called a fairway hit just to make life easier for everyone to understand - and because he wasn't sure of the distinction betwen the two.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

My first reaction was that this seemed like a lame idea, but after thinking about it a bit more it might be pretty entertaining. If you had a group of 20 or so to start, it would be fun watching everyone hitting their pressure-packed second shots into the green with such a large "audience". Then the survivors all tee it up again at the next hole while the entourage of losers follows along.

I don't know that I'd call this a tournament, but it might be an entertaining novelty to do at the beginning or end of a season.

• Administrator

Even if the odds of hitting a GIR (and only that) were 50% (they're much lower), it would be a relatively short tournament.

Start with 32.

After 1 hole, 16.

After 2 holes, 8.

After 3 holes, 4.

After 4 holes, 2.

Winner decided in five holes.

And again, that's without considering fairways hit, and giving these guys 50% GIR rates.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

You must hit every single fairway, and every single green in regulation, or you're out.  Last man standing wins.  How long do you think you could last?  How long do you think a pro could last?

Unless, the holes are shorter than 300 yards, this would be a game for scratch players. It's really hard to get this many GIR in a row.

Kyle Anthony would be good because OB would be called a fairway hit just to make life easier for everyone to understand - and because he wasn't sure of the distinction between the two.

It's the cat that made me laugh while reading your comment! :-$

My first reaction was that this seemed like a lame idea, but after thinking about it a bit more it might be pretty entertaining. If you had a group of 20 or so to start, it would be fun watching everyone hitting their pressure-packed second shots into the green with such a large "audience". Then the survivors all tee it up again at the next hole while the entourage of losers follows along.

I don't know that I'd call this a tournament, but it might be an entertaining novelty to do at the beginning or end of a season.

It would be too difficult for anyone to play. By the time you get the GIR it's only 2 or 3 putts at most also possibly 1.

EDIT: Erik already stated what I just wrote.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Thinking back to every round I have played in my last 10 or so (my memory starts to fade beyond that), I have missed either a fairway or green on the first hole 7 of 10 times. So I guess my answer is that I likely wouldn't last past hole 1, but my upper boundary would probably be hole 3. For a professional who was having a world class ball striking day, I imagine he could make it through 6 or 7 holes, but even most pros would likely make an error well before that point.

I'm not so sure about hitting fairways. If I can get GIRs from the first cut all day, I'll take it. If it's a short par 4 that's only bunkered (no water or OB), I'll take a green side bunker shot or pitch from the rough for eagle over laying up for a guaranteed FW hit leaving me 80 yards. To me, hitting GIRs is what really matters, not how you got there. I would rather get there from the fairway, but sometimes it can be easier to get there from the left rough if there is a tree blocking out shots from the right side of the FW.

- Shane

As most have said, the concept is too difficult for most players.  If one seriously wanted to run something like this, each player would have to be given "X" number of missed fairways and greens before being eliminated.

One of the many beauties of golf is that a player does not have to be perfect off the tee or with their approach shots.  The game allows one to compensate for a weakness (driving or approaches) with a strength in another area (scrambling & putting).

Brian Kuehn

I played in a tournament, while visiting my parents out of town in the late fall. it went like this. You take your handicap 0-9 you allowed 80% of it, 10-15 you can take 85% 16-20 90%, 21 -30 = NO ADJUSTMENT.

lets say you are a 12 handicap, take 85%, your adjusted value is 10.2, add this to  the par for the entire round 72 + 10.2 = 83 (.2 was rounded up  as one stroke)

The purpose of the tourney is to play as FAR as you can with your strokes given to you ( 83) no gimmees, all rules are in effect. once you run out of strokes you put a tee down to mark it.

we did this one year and their were several players that ran out of strokes on the 17th hole, so who ever was closest to the pin eventually won. The guy who won it made a chip in on the par 4 16th hole,leaving him one more tee shot on 17, he crushed it and beat the next guy by15 yards. The guy who won it was a 9.

it really keeps an importance of playing steady, picking the right club, reducing errors and hitting to the center of the green.

another one I  played was a 2 man scramble, 2 teams per hole, except the opposing team picks the ball that your team will eventually play. rather than choosing your own ball to play as a team.

I like the fairway and GIR concept.There might be some holes that you hit hybrid and then 7iron.

• Upvote 1

another one I  played was a 2 man scramble, 2 teams per hole, except the opposing team picks the ball that your team will eventually play. rather than choosing your own ball to play as a team.

That type of game (worst ball scramble) is ridiculously hard. I've done a it by myself when the course was empty and you would be amazed how difficult it is to hit two good shots back to back for an entire hole. Bogey is a very solid score in such a format.

On a fairly short course with fairly wide fairways and fairly large greens, in a field of the top 200 players in the world, how many do you think would be left after 9 holes?  after 18? 27? 36?

Quote:

On a fairly short course with fairly wide fairways and fairly large greens, in a field of the top 200 players in the world, how many do you think would be left after 9 holes?  after 18? 27? 36?

Fairly short/wide/large are still relative terms. Relative to what? Typical profession setups? Typical muni courses?

Assuming you are talking about relatively easy set ups for professional courses, I would estimate the following

After 9 holes - 5 players left

After 18/27/36 holes - 0 left.

Quote:

Fairly short/wide/large are still relative terms. Relative to what? Typical profession setups? Typical muni courses?

Assuming you are talking about relatively easy set ups for professional courses, I would estimate the following

After 9 holes - 5 players left

After 18/27/36 holes - 0 left.

On the other hand, the hosting course only needs to manicure the first 9 holes, and golf would be a shorter game to match America's short attention span :roll:

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

First reaction was the same as Buttonda's until I recalled a pro/ am nearest the pin skins game from the late 80's/ early 90's featuring then world ranked number 1, Ian Woosnam

Woosnam won the first three holes with a degree of comfort as a player was eliminated each hole and never looked in any danger until he suddenly found himself with a pitch and run about 20 yards off the green and needing to get inside about 10ft

Suddenly a terrible situation had developed for him from seemingly nowhere and with no hint. Woosnam shanked it and got knocked out. Within a minute they were all laughing about it, but Woosnam freely admitted that of all the shots he'd ever faced in golf, he was more nervous about this one than anything that had a title or money riding on it. The reason he said was because of the opposition who he was expected to beat, and because something much more important to him was on the line - his pride. He confessed with a sense of surprise and embarrassment (as no pro likes to admit it) that he simply lost his nerve and couldn't hold it together for pressure. What he also found bewildering is how such an innocuous occasion had suddenly got to him and he hadn't been able to cope with it. He basically never saw it coming until he was required to execute the shot and the terror of the occssion suddenly dawned on him. H elooked slightly stunned not so much by his failure, or even the way he failed, but that it had generated such pressure on him

In today's age of course the competition would have to involve celebrities, dancing on ice skates, with an interlude for a cookery spot at the turn

This sounds kinda fun but yeah for a group of weekend hackers it would be over in about 10 minutes.  Playing it on an executive course would probably help some.

Note: This thread is 3629 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!