IGNORED

Most Embarrassing Moments on the Course?

jakepalm
Note: This thread is 1327 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 6/1/2020 at 9:26 PM, dagolfer18 said:

It’s funny that five out of the last seven posts on this thread (including this one) have been mine. Oh well... I had another kind of embarrassing moment today. It wasn’t as embarrassing as my others, more awkward than anything. On the par-3 12th today, I was stuck behind a couple, and they asked me to wave through. Always nerve-wrecking. I hit a 7I to about 12ft.

Then I went up and drilled the putt for a birdie two (wait for it), and the guy asked me point-blank, “What’s your handicap?” After a few moments of awkward silence, I told him I was a bogey golfer that was just having a great day, which, if you’ve been following my posts, you know the first part is the truth. But then I went and parred the 13th, which is ranked the toughest hole on the course.

That was the embarrassing part. The reason why is because I told him I was a bogey golfer (which is the truth), while playing two of the most difficult holes on the course at -1.

When asked your handicap you simply say, ‘ I don’t know...this is my first time to play.’

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

You are getting better.  But what about your little brother???

He’s definitely better than he was two or three months ago, but I just don’t keep his score much anymore. He just rushes his shots too much, turning what could be an easy bogey into a triple or worse, double digits not uncommon. I think if he concentrates, he could get to where he breaks 100 consistently, at worst, and then we’ll go from there.

Edited by dagolfer18

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

I drove my cart into an area that has soft sand and my cart sunk in...had to wave down the maintenance crew for help. They finally came with a tractor to pull me out...

The sand in the traps at my course are hard as cement, yet there is this one patch of soft sand in the middle of nowhere🙄

We still finished 18-holes in 3 hours! Even with this drama that took at least 20 minutes!

E271475E-0C78-4D5F-A7A3-3F4F1033E3DA.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Having to be carted off the course with a 4 inch gash in my calf from my friends spikes (Early 90's.)

I chunked my tee shot about half way to the green on a par 3 and my friend was making fun of me. So, proceeded to knock his ball off the tee. We ended up kind of sword fighting over the ball as I was trying to knock it off and he was trying to block it. I shot my foot out to knock it off and he instinctively kicked at my leg. Next thing you know I have a 4 inch long by 1/2 inch to 1/4 inch deep gash gushing blood. We were walking so 1 friend ran to get help. Other friend (the one that spiked me) gives me a new golf towel to staunch the bleeding and ask if I'm good.  I say yes and he says "cool, I am going to play this hole then ok?"🤣😂 Hes still my closest friend to this day 🙄

Edited by finsfan21
clarity and typo

10 hours ago, FlyingAce said:

I drove my cart into an area that has soft sand and my cart sunk in...had to wave down the maintenance crew for help. They finally came with a tractor to pull me out...

The sand in the traps at my course are hard as cement, yet there is this one patch of soft sand in the middle of nowhere🙄

We still finished 18-holes in 3 hours! Even with this drama that took at least 20 minutes!

E271475E-0C78-4D5F-A7A3-3F4F1033E3DA.png

Quicksand!

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

last year, a coworker asked me to sub last minute on a "date night" for their girls group where one person had lost their partner last second. Sure, no problem, always up for golf. Turns out she played collegiately and is  a really good player. We are playing a Chapman.  So I get up on the first tee and pull hook it left into the driving range off the first tee. She of course blasts it right down the middle. Since I hit mine OB, whatever I do for my second shot using her ball will be what we have to work with. I promptly chunk it about 30 yards.

Second hole is a downhill par 3. I immediately blast my tee shot long and rinse it. By the end of the day I was convinced she thought I had never played the game (though I DID hit one good drive...on 8...and won the guys long drive contest).

Despite me playing like I thought it was a pinball match, she was  so good we won the overall tournament. I have looked for an opportunity to play with her again just to show I actually CAN hit a golf ball...

34 minutes ago, darthweasel said:

34 minutes ago, darthweasel said:

Despite me playing like I thought it was a pinball match, she was  so good we won the overall tournament. I have looked for an opportunity to play with her again just to show I actually CAN hit a golf ball...

Murphy's Law says, like buttered bread always falling buttered side down, you will play like crap again when you play with her.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

17 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Murphy's Law says, like buttered bread always falling buttered side down, you will play like crap again when you play with her.

will find out a week from Wednesday...I am playing with my more normal partner for that tournament week from Wednesday...and you are almost assuredly right. I will look like I am discovering a new sport

After one of my better rounds earlier in the week, the whole round Sunday felt like four hours on unending embarrassment. 

Probably hit no more than six decent shots and four of them were 5W shots after especially awful drives. Shanked the wedge three times and one was a ricochet off my pull cart.

Guess it was the classic bad round after a good round deal. Licking my wounds and will hit the range on Thursday.

54 minutes ago, darthweasel said:

will find out a week from Wednesday...I am playing with my more normal partner for that tournament week from Wednesday...and you are almost assuredly right. I will look like I am discovering a new sport

But now, that you acknowledge it, you will play great!  Funny how that stuff works.

18 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

But now, that you acknowledge it, you will play great!  Funny how that stuff works.

you ever play in the NW Golf Guys tournaments up in Seattle? I was thinking of sneaking up there for the tournament Saturday at Trophy Lake but the rain forecast backed me off but if I make it up for future tourneys, would be great to have a playing partner up there

Was playing with my uncle Bob one day, was hitting a drive into the sun so I asked Bob to keep an eye on it. I smashed the drive but immediately lost it in the sun, I asked Bob if he has it and he say Yes I Got It, Going a Little Right, well I look right and don't you know my ball lands on another green and hits a guy in the leg, then my uncle Bob scream FOUR, after the ball hit the guy! 

I went over and had to apologize, he was pissed, not that he got it but that nobody screamed FOUR.  

• 2 months later...

I haven’t really had an embarrassing moment in a while, but I had two yesterday. Playing off the blue tees, off the first tee, I topped two shots in a row. That was embarrassing, but it pales in comparison to the other one.

We were on the 18th hole, which isn’t that difficult, just a 350-yard par-4 from the blues. I had turned my game around after a 48 on the front, and a par would’ve given me 92. But this seemingly easy hole continues to plague me.

Skied my tee ball (with a 5W, usually one of my best clubs, but only one good shot in at least a half dozen swings), and I had 200 in. Took the 5W again, and proceeded to  shank it. How, for Pete’s sake, are you supposed to shank a wood?? My nightmare continued for the rest of the hole. Nicked a tree on my escape, which made the difference between grass and a bunker. Took three to get out of there, laying six, still a difficult chip. I got up-and-down from there, but the damage was already done.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

1 hour ago, dagolfer18 said:

I haven’t really had an embarrassing moment in a while, but I had two yesterday. Playing off the blue tees, off the first tee, I topped two shots in a row. That was embarrassing, but it pales in comparison to the other one.

We were on the 18th hole, which isn’t that difficult, just a 350-yard par-4 from the blues. I had turned my game around after a 48 on the front, and a par would’ve given me 92. But this seemingly easy hole continues to plague me.

Skied my tee ball (with a 5W, usually one of my best clubs, but only one good shot in at least a half dozen swings), and I had 200 in. Took the 5W again, and proceeded to  shank it. How, for Pete’s sake, are you supposed to shank a wood?? My nightmare continued for the rest of the hole. Nicked a tree on my escape, which made the difference between grass and a bunker. Took three to get out of there, laying six, still a difficult chip. I got up-and-down from there, but the damage was already done.

I can relate and in full sympathy of your post I experienced something similar bur in reverse fashion last Saturday. 

Playing with the morning group of guys we were on the Front 9 and that game was 2 ball low net.  #7 is a Par 5 and I get a stroke on it.  I hammer my Drive right down the middle and I am a solid 50 yards beyond the next closest person.  My 2nd shot I proceed to just hit the most beautiful 5 Wood right at the green, it was a blind shot as well.  Get to my ball and I am maybe 60 yards out at the most.  

Go to hit a wedge drop it on the green, nope hit it fat and about halfway there.  Next shot goes over the green.  Next shot goes past the hole all the way to the other side of the green.  Long putt that comes up short and tap in for a 7.  I get looks of utter disbelief from the group. 

5 shots from 60 yards out to get into the cup, frightful  

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

30 minutes ago, djake said:

I can relate and in full sympathy of your post I experienced something similar bur in reverse fashion last Saturday. 

Playing with the morning group of guys we were on the Front 9 and that game was 2 ball low net.  #7 is a Par 5 and I get a stroke on it.  I hammer my Drive right down the middle and I am a solid 50 yards beyond the next closest person.  My 2nd shot I proceed to just hit the most beautiful 5 Wood right at the green, it was a blind shot as well.  Get to my ball and I am maybe 60 yards out at the most.  

Go to hit a wedge drop it on the green, nope hit it fat and about halfway there.  Next shot goes over the green.  Next shot goes past the hole all the way to the other side of the green.  Long putt that comes up short and tap in for a 7.  I get looks of utter disbelief from the group. 

5 shots from 60 yards out to get into the cup, frightful  

Ok - I want to add the 17th hole to this same round.  Back 9 3 Ball low net now.

17 is another Par 5.  Uphill the whole way, OB is on the left the entire stretch of the hole and 'tree jail' the entire right side of the fairway.  

I hit my Drive with a fade down the right side but luckily it was not in 'tree jail' but it was in the rough. I looked the situation over and decide to hit a 7 iron and hit to an area in the fairway that would give me about 135 into the green.  A nice manageable 3rd shot.  I execute the 7 iron perfect, ball is about 110 yards from the green in the middle of the fairway.

3rd shot I hit my 52* Wedge, my 110 club and I hit it nice and crisp and it came up short on the fringe.  I forgot to add a club due to uphill and some wind in the face, yet I was in nice shape.

4th shot, pin is way uphill and at the back of the green.  I hit a great putt on line and it goes past the hole 3'.  I was happy as this is a nice result and in makeable distance.

5th shot downhill putt straight in, hit it I make it.  At the last nano second i adjust my putter to right edge of the cup, hit the putt and it burns the right edge of the cup and rolls 5' past the cup downhill.  

6th shot straight up hill putt, hit it at the cup and I make it but I notice a small pile of sand from the cup setter as we were the first group of the day, well as you can guess I did not wipe it away.  Hit my putt, hits the sand and the ball rests on the lip of the cup.  I card a 7 and my handicap stroke doesn't matter.  I was so happy that I had played this hole so well only to take 4 strokes to get down from the fringe and 3 putt from 3'.

After the round my team gives me some serious crap and tells me that if I fix my short game I would drop 20 strokes per round.

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

Our buddies trip foursome got a stern scolding by the marshal for not exiting at the cart exit spot at Mid-south down in PH two years ago.  

At the start of the round the marshal (retired armed forces type, tall, serious, rather dignified gentleman) read us our instruction for the course. He talked about the course's recent $2 million renovation features for a few minutes and almost shooshed us rather annoyingly when one of our teammates wasn't fully attentive for the strict instruction about exiting the fairway before crossing the poles by the cartpath marking the exit spot. He was very clear that the cart exit line ran, not diagonally, not parallel but 90 degrees across the fairways. Yesss sirrr!

We did great exiting fairways until the 9th hole. On this hole, a Par 5 with a large water stream just before the green, the cart exit pole is a bit less conspicuous and unusually it is on tee box side of a peninsula running up to the stream. This area is more than a about 120 yards out from the green. Of course we had all laid up fairly well all the way to the tip of the fairway short of the stream and drove to the ball not realizing where the cart exit sign was. We were in the RED ZONE. Of course our friend Hawkeye was waiting right by the fairway exit almost knowing instinctively we would screw this up, drove over to us and absolutely lit into us. 

We of course apologized telling him that we had missed the sign unintentionally and that we had being doing rather well and being respectful of the course, but he wasn't having any of it muttering choice words about how 'some so-called golfers have no respect' with a head shake expressing his deep disappointment as he left after what seemed like a 5 minutes dressing down. 

Now we are all very respectful, experienced golfers so this was downright humiliating, not just embarrassing. Of course we were in the wrong so there was nothing to be done, but it surely ruined the experience for us.   

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

1 hour ago, GolfLug said:

Our buddies trip foursome got a stern scolding by the marshal for not exiting at the cart exit spot at Mid-south down in PH two years ago.  

At the start of the round the marshal (retired armed forces type, tall, serious, rather dignified gentleman) read us our instruction for the course. He talked about the course's recent $2 million renovation features for a few minutes and almost shooshed us rather annoyingly when one of our teammates wasn't fully attentive for the strict instruction about exiting the fairway before crossing the poles by the cartpath marking the exit spot. He was very clear that the cart exit line ran, not diagonally, not parallel but 90 degrees across the fairways. Yesss sirrr!

We did great exiting fairways until the 9th hole. On this hole, a Par 5 with a large water stream just before the green, the cart exit pole is a bit less conspicuous and unusually it is on tee box side of a peninsula running up to the stream. This area is more than a about 120 yards out from the green. Of course we had all laid up fairly well all the way to the tip of the fairway short of the stream and drove to the ball not realizing where the cart exit sign was. We were in the RED ZONE. Of course our friend Hawkeye was waiting right by the fairway exit almost knowing instinctively we would screw this up, drove over to us and absolutely lit into us. 

We of course apologized telling him that we had missed the sign unintentionally and that we had being doing rather well and being respectful of the course, but he wasn't having any of it muttering choice words about how 'some so-called golfers have no respect' with a head shake expressing his deep disappointment as he left after what seemed like a 5 minutes dressing down. 

Now we are all very respectful, experienced golfers so this was downright humiliating, not just embarrassing. Of course we were in the wrong so there was nothing to be done, but it surely ruined the experience for us.   

I don't think they hired him for his diplomatic skills....

(Did he make you drop and give him 20?)

Edited by Double Mocha Man

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I don't think they hired him for his diplomatic skills....

(Did he make you drop and give him 20?)

Ha.To be fair, Im sure he ran into his share of ding dongs. 

Vishal S.

Note: This thread is 1327 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!