IGNORED

Food Thread

mvmac

Tomorrow, for my father's 75th, he gets to have some ribs, pulled pork and if he wants, some Beer can chicken I am making for the ladies coming for his suprise birthday. I need some quick and dirty help. My wife is at the State Gourd show, and took 3 blues so I am sol on her doing what she wanted to to because of the best of show entry. Its about him and not the food so what sides might be good? Roasted squashes and a cold salad are already done deals. Thoughts?

Tomorrow, for my father's 75th, he gets to have some ribs, pulled pork and if he wants, some Beer can chicken I am making for the ladies coming for his suprise birthday. I need some quick and dirty help. My wife is at the State Gourd show, and took 3 blues so I am sol on her doing what she wanted to to because of the best of show entry. Its about him and not the food so what sides might be good? Roasted squashes and a cold salad are already done deals. Thoughts?

BBQ requires baked beans. No argument allowed.....!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

[quote name="David in FL" url="/t/74957/food-thread/150_30#post_1066689"] BBQ requires baked beans. No argument allowed.....!

Finally a message we can all get behind. ;-)[/quote]I could track that but he is a diabetic recovering from a stroke so starches stop at the plant, tho rice is no good. This is a diabetic friendly Q so its blowing my paradigm.

Yeah I know..on the other hand, a 30% fat requirement is refreshing. 10-20 on proteins. It turns out you cant absorb vitamins properly unless you eat enough fat. His doc looked me in the face and said 30 fat. It kinda set me sideways. So back to these healthier sides...

I made beef stew yesterday. I'd post a picture, but it looks like vomit, as all beef stew does. Tasted great though.

It's a Cantonese dish. Mei fun, a kind of skinny noodle, with bits of scallops, shrimp, squid and assorted vegetables. Kind of tastes like Singapore noodles in your typical take out but a little different.

• Administrator

It's a Cantonese dish. Mei fun, a kind of skinny noodle, with bits of scallops, shrimp, squid and assorted vegetables. Kind of tastes like Singapore noodles in your typical take out but a little different.

I get the singapore noodles (IIRC) from the Asian place three doors down from Golf Evolution. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevets88

I get the singapore noodles (IIRC) from the Asian place three doors down from Golf Evolution. :)

They're very similar. I love both. I've never made either though. It's a lot of chopping and lots of ingredients.  The hardest ingredient to get is probably the noodles, although the international food section at most supermarkets is much better these days. And if you look up the recipe, so many variations.

• Administrator
They're very similar. I love both. I've never made either though. It's a lot of chopping and lots of ingredients.  The hardest ingredient to get is probably the noodles, although the international food section at most supermarkets is much better these days. And if you look up the recipe, so many variations.

No kidding. I've looked up some recipes.

I think I'll just continue to get them from Mung.

I could track that but he is a diabetic recovering from a stroke so starches stop at the plant, tho rice is no good. This is a diabetic friendly Q so its blowing my paradigm.

I might be too late, but Atomic Buffalo Turds might be a good option (or for next year if I'm too late). More of an appetizer but I'd eat the hell out of them if I were on a restricted diet.

• Upvote 1

Bday cook is over. Spare ribs with dreamland rub, baby backs with Soul Seasoning, beer can chickens, regular sides like beans,coleslaw, potato salad and pasta salad for the crew. He had grilled veggie chunks of red onion, zuchini, red, yellow, orange peppers and was perfectly happy. He fell of the wagon to eat a persimmon cookie on lady brought him.
  • Upvote 1