IGNORED

Food Thread

mvmac

Most TJ's are cramped and small, not this one. There are other supermarkets in big cities that co-opt what was once a big space with high ceilings. You wonder about birds and you know what. These supermarkets sound like a concert hall before the overture starts.

image.jpeg

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The impossible burger, no meat, no cows involved, made by a company getting hundreds of millions of dollars in funding. Planning on trying it soon.

impossible-burger1.jpg?w=738&h=492

So How Does It Taste?

The short answer: pretty good.

The long answer of a gourmand: so far, nothing comes closer to eating a real burger than this one…made of plants.

I want to dispel the notion that it feels like you’re eating a vegetable patty stacked between two pieces of bread. Instead you’re consuming something warm, with the browning and texture you’ve come to expect of real beef. This is partly thanks to the discovery of a molecule called “heme”, which gives real meat its “look”, and which is more prevalent in animals than in plants, which made it more challenging to recreate.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/07/26/eating-the-plant-derived-impossible-burger-cooked-by-momofukus-david-chang/?sr_share=twitter

Edit: It really tastes just like meat. 

image.jpeg

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Finally got around to trying the cotton candy grapes. They do have the cotton candy aftertaste but not the explosion that I read about. 

image.jpeg

Steve

Awesome falafel on the go. 

image.jpeg

Steve

4 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Awesome falafel on the go. 

image.jpeg

Dang it Steve! I had leftovers heated in a microwave for lunch! :-P

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On July 17, 2016 at 8:47 AM, billchao said:

I promised pics of my smoking setup and finally remembered to take some.617201682640.jpg

Weber Premium 26" with an aftermarket product called the Slow 'N Sear, which is what contains the coals and has a built-in water pan for instant 2-zone cooking setup.

The ribs have been going for 2 hours and have a way to go before lunch. There are also beans under the grate on the far side, covered in foil.617201682711.jpg

It's probably hard to see in the first picture but I rigged a paper clip and a small binder clip together to hold my theromometer probe on the grate. Never go by the lid thermometer :-)

I was looking at a slow n sear for my 22inch Weber. Everyone online raves about them. Good to see someone I know better talk about it. Maybe will ask for my birthday. 

• 2 weeks later...

Panda Express and The Chork!

Steve

25 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Panda Express and The Chork!

:offtopic:

Panda Express is not food :yucky::-P:-D

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

On 7/30/2016 at 9:20 AM, nevets88 said:

The impossible burger, no meat, no cows involved, made by a company getting hundreds of millions of dollars in funding. Planning on trying it soon.

impossible-burger1.jpg?w=738&h=492

https://techcrunch.com/2016/07/26/eating-the-plant-derived-impossible-burger-cooked-by-momofukus-david-chang/?sr_share=twitter

Edit: It really tastes just like meat. 

image.jpeg

Where, I'm ready to try it?

Edited by dennyjones

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

15 hours ago, dennyjones said:

Where, I'm ready to try it?

NYC as of now afaik, this is the line before it opens right now, noon, Sunday:

image.jpeg

Steve

I'm super intrigued about this new meatless burger - but I guess I'm going to have to wait a while because I'm all about the cheap, lol. 

I've been making my own veggie burgers for years - I learned my first version when I was cooking at a vegetarian restaurant way back in the mid 1990's.  

The other day I made the Serious Eats black bean burgers - not bad.  

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/03/the-best-black-bean-burger-recipe.html

It came out delicious but mushy - like most veggie burgers.  The nuts and cheese provided some alternate textures inbetween the mush, lol.  

I made the other famous one - with beets . .a while back . .that was good, too . .but mushy. 

http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-best-ever-veggie-burger-96967

I want to try experimenting with transglutaminase . .aka . ."meat glue" for veggie burgers - I hear that's the ticket. I want to try this one:

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/hi-tech-veggie-burger

When veggie burgers were first concocted, they were pretty bad, but they've gotten a lot better since. The one in the article above is the closest to tasting and looking like meat. You forget after the meal that you've had a couple of servings of vegetables, not meat.

Steve

• Administrator

The wife and I went to eat at some little "southern foodie" place today in Erie.

I had the chicken and waffles.

The waffles were cold and too "cinnamony." The garlic mashed potatoes were dry. The chicken was good.

The wife had cajun shrimp and grits. That looked good.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Israeli breakfast of champions, Shakshuka:

image.jpeg

Steve

Rice burger

image.jpeg

Steve

Reuben

image.jpeg

Steve

Forget golf, @nevets88. Next time we get together we should go for a food tour :beer:

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

18 minutes ago, billchao said:

Forget golf, @nevets88. Next time we get together we should go for a food tour :beer:

Lol, we can go to Denino's in Staten Island. Have been hankering for the Clam Pie.

Pizza-Lee-Tavern-Staten-Island-Clam-Pie-Dongan-Hills-Food.jpg

http://siborrealtors.com/2014/08/26/5-best-pizza-places-staten-island/

Steve