IGNORED

Food Thread

mvmac

6 minutes ago, Zeph said:

What kind of kitchen utensils do you use? I've so far had a combination of stuff I've gathered through the years, but I want to replace the plastic ones. They're not too pretty and there's a chance black plastic utensils are potentially hazardous to your health. So far I've been leaning towards a combination of wood (bamboo or olive wood maybe), metal and silicone. Some silicone utensils can apparently handle pretty high heat without any fear of parts melting into the pans. Metal for the steel pans, wood for everything and silicone for teflon/similar. pans, bowls etc.

The single tool that I use more than any other are tongs.  I like the Oxo ones, sturdy, nice "spring" action, and they're available in both metal and nylon tips.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I usually will gravitate towards Oxo when buying utensils.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

2 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

The single tool that I use more than any other are tongs.  I like the Oxo ones, sturdy, nice "spring" action, and they're available in both metal and nylon tips.

You do a lot of barbecue I take it? Where I grew up, we always got some laughs out of the photos of the one or two times a year we fired up the grill outside because we would more often than not be sporting winter hats and warm jackets. It's a nice place, but the summers are too short.

I have a grill, but in our new apartment in the middle of a city we're not allowed to use it on the balcony. I'll probably sell it since I won't get to use it while we live here. 

I got a pair of nice tongs that I use for steaks and other stuff in a pan, but it don't get as much use as I would want. 2/2 suggesting Oxo is a good start, I'll check them out. I think I've seen them here.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

@Zeph silicone is good. What utensils you need really depends on what kind of pans you use. Most of my stuff is metal or wood, but I only have one Teflon pan (I hate the stuff but it's good for eggs).

Tongs or chopsticks are probably the most used utensils in my cooking.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Waiting for a dozen donuts at Duck Donuts. I come here like once a month, it's all @DaveP043's fault :-P

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Just now, billchao said:

Waiting for a dozen donuts at Duck Donuts. I come here like once a month, it's all @DaveP043's fault :-P

Yeah, I'm the donut pusher man, got you hooked

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I'll have to take a look at Oxo, haven't heard of them before.

I prefer bamboo because I'm a bit paranoid of plastic residue, and use spatula's for just about everything.  Tongs for most grilling, except when it comes to burgers ... then I get to bring out my Barbecue Boss.  My first wife bought it for me from Pampered Chef 20 years ago, and it's the best tool ever.

Slight thread drift, but my PSA for the day is to please not use a BBQ brush with metal bristles. My Aunt got one stuck in her throat that transferred from the grill to a steak she ate.  From what I understand, it was a horrific experience that required more than one surgery and took many months to fully resolve because the doctors had trouble locating it .... but she could feel it ... Always ... and it was painful. I use griddle pads, and they actually work much better.

• Administrator
34 minutes ago, Eric C said:

Slight thread drift, but my PSA for the day is to please not use a BBQ brush with metal bristles. My Aunt got one stuck in her throat that transferred from the grill to a steak she ate.  From what I understand, it was a horrific experience that required more than one surgery and took many months to fully resolve because the doctors had trouble locating it .... but she could feel it ... Always ... and it was painful. I use griddle pads, and they actually work much better.

Just quoting so people have a second chance to read that.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 3/11/2018 at 11:07 AM, billchao said:

@Zeph silicone is good. What utensils you need really depends on what kind of pans you use. Most of my stuff is metal or wood, but I only have one Teflon pan (I hate the stuff but it's good for eggs).

Tongs or chopsticks are probably the most used utensils in my cooking.

Chopsticks are the best for extracting bits from tight little spaces.

Duck Donuts - best name ever.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

Yeah, I'm the donut pusher man, got you hooked

Yup, all your fault :beer:

If I learned anything in my life, it's to deflect personal responsibility onto others ;-)

36 minutes ago, Eric C said:

Tongs for most grilling, except when it comes to burgers ... then I get to bring out my Barbecue Boss.

I use tongs when I saute, roast, sear and pan fry meats, and even to stir and pull spaghetti from the pot (because I'm already using them for whatever sauce I'm making).

39 minutes ago, Eric C said:

Yea I've read too many horror stories about this. Tossed my metal bristle brushes last year.

1 minute ago, nevets88 said:

Chopsticks are the best for extracting bits from tight little spaces.

Chopsticks are great for lots of things. They make really big ones for cooking.

Bill

My Swing Thread

That does not sound good. Might be a stupid question, but is that a brush to apply stuff to the stuff you are grilling, or the metal brushes you use to clean the grill?

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

40 minutes ago, Eric C said:

Slight thread drift, but my PSA for the day is to please not use a BBQ brush with metal bristles. My Aunt got one stuck in her throat that transferred from the grill to a steak she ate. 

My friend had had a metal bristle poke him in the mouth when he went to a local burger place once. I don't think he's gone back.

2 minutes ago, billchao said:

I use tongs when I saute, roast, sear and pan fry meats, and even to stir and pull spaghetti from the pot (because I'm already using them for whatever sauce I'm making).

Ditto!

I use plastic spatulas, but never had one melt while I was flipping anything. I've had a handle melt because I left it on a pan once :whistle:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

1 minute ago, Zeph said:

That does not sound good. Might be a stupid question, but is that a brush to apply stuff to the stuff you are grilling, or the metal brushes you use to clean the grill?

Cleaning brush

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Zeph said:

Cleaning brush.

My solution: don't clean the grill. ;-)

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

6 minutes ago, billchao said:

Chopsticks are great for lots of things. They make really big ones for cooking.

Bill, you are a fount of knowledge.

47 minutes ago, Eric C said:

I'll have to take a look at Oxo, haven't heard of them before.

I prefer bamboo because I'm a bit paranoid of plastic residue, and use spatula's for just about everything.  Tongs for most grilling, except when it comes to burgers ... then I get to bring out my Barbecue Boss.  My first wife bought it for me from Pampered Chef 20 years ago, and it's the best tool ever.

Googled metal detector for food. Nope. 

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

Cleaning brush.

I just got one too and found it way easier to clean. I'm gonna go with don't clean the grill though.

Like this @billchao?

Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 9.50.58 AM.png

Steve

10 minutes ago, iacas said:

Cleaning brush.

9 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I just got one too. I'm gonna go with don't clean the grill.

There are tips for using the wire bristle grill brushes.

Replace them periodically before they get old and fall apart (I got a new one every year). Wipe down your grill with a wet rag (I like to oil my grates back up after I clean them anyway) to help prevent any stray hairs from being stuck on it. I'm also meticulous in my cleaning and I actually use a pad scraper after the brushing so that probably would knock loose anything that might have stuck on the grates. Inspect your work; give it a good look to see if anything hazardous might be there.

Yet even with all that I'd rather be safe than sorry. I entertain guests a few times a year and I grill food for my family year-round; it's not something I'd want to happen to anyone I serve.

Bill

My Swing Thread

When you get the grill hot, just wipe it down using some towels soaked with some canola or grapeseed oil (something with a high flash point). This will help season the grill, and keep the food from sticking.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

When you get the grill hot, just wipe it down using some towels soaked with some canola or grapeseed oil (something with a high flash point). This will help season the grill, and keep the food from sticking.

You know what also helps stop stuff from sticking? All the little burnt up pieces of the meat you cooked before. :-)