IGNORED

"Lowest Score Wins" by Barzeski and Wedzik

iacas

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

I went over this years ago and don’t plan to again.

eBooks are easier to steal, people expect to pay significantly less even though costs are often the same through Kindle/iBooks, we wanted something people could easily highlight and take with them, loan, gift, etc.

I own a Kindle. Five actually. I buy a lot of eBooks.

We made the right call.

And you can buy a single copy internationally @skram.

Oh? That must have changed since I last looked - I'll check it out.

• Administrator
Just now, skram said:

Oh? That must have changed since I last looked - I'll check it out.

It’s cheaper for both of you if you buy two copies with a friend.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 5 months later...

I just finished reading LSW, and loved it. Can’t wait to practice and play using the concepts. Thank you for writing it!

I do have one question out of pure curiosity, however.

I may have simply missed it, and it seems clear that common sense dictates this, but:Β 

By whichΒ specificΒ data measure(s) isΒ GamePlanning a SV4 skill?Β 

I ask because I recall all other skills having a SCOR value, and specific data points associated with them, which clearly illustrated and in effectΒ provedΒ thier relative SV ratings. I didn’t notice this with GamePlanning.Β 

Is that simply because no data yet exists relatingΒ specificallyΒ to GamePlanning, since you guys invented it onlyΒ a few years ago? Or perhaps because GamePlanning is a nebulous thing to measure?

I mean, it’s obvious that spending a third of the book on it, and assigning that level of value to it, that it’s arguably or certainly the most critical piece of the book. And I believe fully thatΒ you wouldn’t just decide that arbitrarily.

Common sense tells us that your scores will dropΒ if you GamePlanΒ properly.Β 

I guess I’m just curious about roughly or exactly how much you think (or know)Β one could expect to lower scores using GamePlanning alone, as compared to the other skills.Β 

I hope that makes sense, and please don’t take it as a criticism. I doΒ have faith that it’s that important. I know you guys never put out junk.Β I’m just curious about what your feeling is or what data says about how much one may improve via GamePlanning specifically.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, sofingaw said:

I just finished reading LSW, and loved it. Can’t wait to practice and play using the concepts. Thank you for writing it!

I do have one question out of pure curiosity, however.

I may have simply missed it, and it seems clear that common sense dictates this, but:Β 

I ask because I recall all other skills having a SCOR value, and specific data points associated with them, which clearly illustrated and in effectΒ provedΒ thier relative SV ratings. I didn’t notice this with GamePlanning.Β 

Is that simply because no data yet exists relatingΒ specificallyΒ to GamePlanning, since you guys invented it onlyΒ a few years ago? Or perhaps because GamePlanning is a nebulous thing to measure?

I mean, it’s obvious that spending a third of the book on it, and assigning that level of value to it, that it’s arguably or certainly the most critical piece of the book. And I believe fully thatΒ you wouldn’t just decide that arbitrarily.

Common sense tells us that your scores will dropΒ if you GamePlanΒ properly.Β 

I guess I’m just curious about roughly or exactly how much you think (or know)Β one could expect to lower scores using GamePlanning alone, as compared to the other skills.Β 

I hope that makes sense, and please don’t take it as a criticism. I doΒ have faith that it’s that important. I know you guys never put out junk.Β I’m just curious about what your feeling is or what data says about how much one may improve via GamePlanning specifically.

The proper understanding of decision maps and shot zones is gameplannong. Go determine your shot zones and apply them to your shots on the course and let it aid you in club selection, target selection, and overall round strategy. Also- Google maps is a great way to β€œgameplan” ahead of a round on a course you may not have played before or one that your not as familiar with as your home course.Β 

29 minutes ago, sofingaw said:

GamePlanning is a SV4 skill. It is up there with Driving and Approach Shots.

Imagine you have a pin tucked way left on a green surrounded by water on the left half of the green. The golfer who doesn't know their shot zone and aims at the pin. They might have a 30% of hitting the green, and 60% chance of putting the ball in the water. If a golfer knows their shot zone and aims accordingly. They might have 50% of hitting the green, 40% chance of ending up in the rough, and only a 10% chance of hitting it into the water. 50% less likely to hit a shot into the water. These type of decisions can add up.

It could even come into play on a bunker shot. I played in Pinehurst about 2 weeks ago. I had a bunker shot where I aimed away from the pin. I knew that the odds of me hitting that perfect shot to keep it on the green was slim. Aiming away let me have slope to keep the ball on the green if I carried it too far. I ended up with about a 15 FT putt. That is better than knowing 75% of the time my ball would roll off the green. It's not fun to play tennis across a putting green.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

13 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

I just bought the book today.Β  Can't wait to get it.

I think you will like it a lot. You will be able to really dial in your shot zones quickly since you own a launch monitor

• Like 2

Driver:Β :callaway:Β Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:Β Β :cobra:Β Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons:Β :tmade:Β P770 (4-PW)
Wedges:Β :callaway:Β MD3 50Β  Β MD5 54 58Β degreeΒ Β 
Putter:Β :odyssey:Β  White Hot RX #1
Ball:Β :srixon:Β Z Star XV

• Administrator
12 hours ago, sofingaw said:

I ask because I recall all other skills having a SCOR value, and specific data points associated with them, which clearly illustrated and in effectΒ provedΒ thier relative SV ratings. I didn’t notice this with GamePlanning.Β ο»Ώ

The short answer: GamePlanning has a very highΒ O-Value.

If we had to do it again, I'm not sure we'd list it, because it's not something you really have to "practice" very much… once you understand GamePlanning, you kinda own it. You shouldn't need to keep working on it.

The same is kinda true of Green Reading (particularly with AimPoint), too, but it's something you at least have to work on now and then.

Good question. I think you're the first to notice we didn't do the SCOR for GamePlanning.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

• 4 months later...

I finally got a copy ordered through thriftbooks. It's been on my wish list for about 6 months and as soon as I got the e-mail, I ordered it. Should have it by next week at some point.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white)Β 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Bucki1968 said:

I finally got a copy ordered through thriftbooks. It's been on my wish list for about 6 months and as soon as I got the e-mail, I ordered it. Should have it by next week at some point.

Why wouldn’t you order it through us? How much could you have even saved versus waiting six months?

I mean, it β€œcost” me about six whole dollars, so it’s not about that.

I just ordered a copy... Looking forward to reading it!

-Jimmy

:nike:Β VR_S Covert 2.0Β Driver, 3W
:pxg: 0311 X (3), 0311 XF (4-6), 0311 (7-PW, 52/56/60)
:titleist:Β 2016 Scotty Cameron Newport Select Putter

"That tiger ain't go crazy; that tiger went tiger!" - Chris Rock

17 hours ago, iacas said:

Why wouldn’t you order it through us? How much could you have even saved versus waiting six months?

I mean, it β€œcost” me about six whole dollars, so it’s not about that.

Well...I wasn't aware that I could order through TST. I read a lot of books (not just golf books) so when I find something I want to read, I add to the wish list on thrift books because I order books from them (because most books are pretty cheap with free shipping and I get a discount because I'm a teacher). I guess I just do so much business with them that I didn't even think to order it here. O:)

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white)Β 

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Bucki1968 said:

Well...I wasn't aware that I could order through TST.

http://lowestscorewins.com/buy/Β -Β That's the second link (the first isΒ http://lowestscorewins.com/) on Google:Β https://www.google.com/search?amp;q=lowest+score+wins

The rest of your post makes total sense. I just wondered. You didn't have to wait six months. πŸ™‚Β The thing too is that the book shows up used so rarely, despite having sold as many copies as we have, because people seem to want to keep their copies and refer back to them.

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

http://lowestscorewins.com/buy/Β -Β That's the second link (the first isΒ http://lowestscorewins.com/) on Google:Β https://www.google.com/search?amp;q=lowest+score+wins

The rest of your post makes total sense. I just wondered. You didn't have to wait six months. πŸ™‚Β The thing too is that the book shows up used so rarely, despite having sold as many copies as we have, because people seem to want to keep their copies and refer back to them.

I have mine marked up like my Thermo textbook.Β :-P

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

@iacas, I was watching Golftec videos today and they gave a shout out to their friends that wrote "Lowest Score Wins"

Aim for the center of the green

Golftec mentions Lowest Score Wins

Edited by dennyjones

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.Β Β  I'm Denny

• Administrator

Thanks, @dennyjones, yeah… we're doing a little work with them.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

It seems their instructional videos on the Golf Channel mimic your book.Β  Β 

Yeah.