IGNORED

Being tall an advantage?

Hardballs
Note: This thread is 2367 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Fitness on the tour is slowly catching on but it's not at where something like Olympic swimming is. Even the guys the commentators gush about as being fit usually just look like normal people. When Rory lost his baby fat everyone seemed impressed but he still doesn't look like someone that's going to blast out a sub 5 second 40 or anything.

Many are just thin. I remember seeing pictures of Phil at the Callaway offices after he won the Open. He looks kind of doughy on TV but he was like a rail compared to the Callaway employees in the pictures with him. I think I read somewhere Tiger has a 29" inch waist. That was 9th grade for me. My waist wouldn't be 29" if I was a skeleton. Pros are just damn good. Not sure how they look compared to the people on the street makes a good comparison. Can't really judge any golfers by their body type. I see very fit guys that are terrible golfers all the time. In fact they are often the ones trying to kill the ball with their ugly swings.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Fitness on the tour is slowly catching on but it's not at where something like Olympic swimming is. Even the guys the commentators gush about as being fit usually just look like normal people. When Rory lost his baby fat everyone seemed impressed but he still doesn't look like someone that's going to blast out a sub 5 second 40 or anything. Many are just thin. I remember seeing pictures of Phil at the Callaway offices after he won the Open. He looks kind of doughy on TV but he was like a rail compared to the Callaway employees in the pictures with him. I think I read somewhere Tiger has a 29" inch waist.

Thanks. That's what I mean, I should have said "fit" players. Announcers rave about how big they are, and they're just not big. Tiger is listed as 6'1", 185. That's thin for the average guy, and small compared to some athletes from other sports. I remember reading a piece on Gary Woodland being built like a linebacker. 6'1", 195? What HS does he play for?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Thanks. That's what I mean, I should have said "fit" players. Announcers rave about how big they are, and they're just not big.

Tiger is listed as 6'1", 185. That's thin for the average guy, and small compared to some athletes from other sports.

I remember reading a piece on Gary Woodland being built like a linebacker. 6'1", 195? What HS does he play for?

My former trainer tried to get me down to 183 at 6'1.5" and I got pretty close. Didn't last long, I had people asking me if I had a terminal illness. Everyone is different. People are always surprised I weigh what I do, I look a lot lighter than I am.

Fitness on the tour is slowly catching on but it's not at where something like Olympic swimming is. I think I read somewhere Tiger has a 29" inch waist. That was 9th grade for me. My waist wouldn't be 29" if I was a skeleton. Pros are just damn good.

Yeah, my friend did actually say tiger looks like a letter V from the back, tall, broad shoulders slim waist! Very athletic! What with his injuries maybe he works out TOO much! [quote name="Dave2512" url="/t/75159/being-tall-an-advantage#post_1003423"]Probably doesn't make much difference until you get to a higher skill level. I see plenty of crappy tall golfers, they don't hit it far or accurate. [/quote] In now thinking height is definitely an advantage for the average golfer! Clearly pros come in all shapes and sizes and that's just down to skill

Gaz Lee

• Administrator

Fitness on the tour is slowly catching on but it's not at where something like Olympic swimming is.

Swimming is not nearly as technical as golf.

I could imagine a swimmer could do okay working out six hours a day and "practicing swimming" for two. For golfers, the opposite is a better ratio.

What good is being the most fit golfer in the world if you can't hit your driver at a high enough level to compete?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Certainly an advantage, but I think maybe less so the more you actually learn a good swing. Lot's of smaller golfers have been able to hit it a long way.

Gene Sarazen was only 5' 5", 162 lbs. His famous double eagle in the 1935 Masters was on a 260-265 yd. drive and 230-235 yd. 4-wood.  And Ben Hogan was about 5' 8" 150, and one of the longest hitters of his time, and Gary Player about 5' 6" 150.  That's three top 10 all-time golfers right there.

And I mentioned this in another thread, but I also like to look at some of the women players as a reminder that it's not all about size and muscle. Stacy Lewis, the top ranked woman at the moment, is 5' 5" and averaging 263.5 yds with 75% fairways hit. Yani Tseng, who was the top ranked woman for over 2 years, is 5' 6" and averaging 270.5 yds. Azahara Munoz is a slim 5' 5" and averaging 258.7 yds with 75% fairways hit.

Does being tall in height give an advantage?

Amongst the group of friends I play with, I'd say 4/5 are approx. 5'8" ish, with 4/5 being 6' or slightly over!

Now it could be coincidence? Or it could be height advantage?

But the taller ones are the big hitters, up to 40 yards longer on drives, and hitting 8irons over 150yrds, and although were all capable of beating each other, the taller guys tend to win more? And I don't think this is coincidence!

Just wondering what others views are of this?

And if anyone can name a really good short arse golfer?

Of course.  Ever see those wind farms?  The blades look like they're moving slow but the tips are traveling 200 MPH.  Same deal with tall guys and the clubhead.

• Administrator
Let's be realistic too guys. A guy who is a foot taller has arms that are about five inches longer. So the lever is 74 inches long instead of 69 or so? And that's for a foot difference? Plus the longer lever is tougher to control. Longer arms weigh more too. :-) It's an advantage, but not a huge one.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

This thread is kind of heading in the same direction the long drive threads do. Too much emphasis on build and athleticism not relevant to golf.

Hmm, I'm not bitter, but I guess what I lack in height I will need to make up for in technique!

Haha, yes crappy golfers come in every shape and size!

I never realised woosy was only 5'4" ?

But it's hard to tell of tv, my friend went to the British open last year and said he was surprised at how big most of the guys were,.. Particularly tiger woods,... Not just tall, but physically powerfully built!

That surprises me because when I went to the Tour Championship a few years ago I was surprised that the guys were not as big as I expected them to be after seeing them on TV.

Especially Tiger.

One of the reasons I like this game is because winning the genetic lottery seems to be somewhat less important than in other sports.  That being said, I expect the game to move the same direction as other sports with courses getting longer and more and more pros working out and becoming meatheads like Tiger to make up for it.

Just to toss another couple of long hitters in here that are't tall, would be Louie O. and Fred couples. 2 of the smoothest swings out there. :-D

Originally Posted by billchao

Thanks. That's what I mean, I should have said "fit" players. Announcers rave about how big they are, and they're just not big.

Tiger is listed as 6'1", 185. That's thin for the average guy, and small compared to some athletes from other sports.

I remember reading a piece on Gary Woodland being built like a linebacker. 6'1", 195? What HS does he play for?

I saw him live from a few yards away, and he does not look super big (maybe he was slouching?). He's more or less normal build, but a really solid touring pro. Matt Kuchar and Keegan Bradley are really thin and tall compared to him. I enjoyed following them for an hour or so.

My former trainer tried to get me down to 183 at 6'1.5" and I got pretty close. Didn't last long, I had people asking me if I had a terminal illness. Everyone is different. People are always surprised I weigh what I do, I look a lot lighter than I am.

Yeah, I have that problem too! Until, they see my abdomen. :-X

One of the reasons I like this game is because winning the genetic lottery seems to be somewhat less important than in other sports.  That being said, I expect the game to move the same direction as other sports with courses getting longer and more and more pros working out and becoming meatheads like Tiger to make up for it.

Yeah, golf might very well be the last sport without something resembling a P90X fitness program required to compete.

@Hardballs , no I don't think there is a decisive advantage of being tall.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Rory McIlroy

Rickie Fowler

Oostuizen

All three hitting it a long ways. For Rickie Fowler, I suppose being smaller is advantage in motor sports that he used to do being younger.

Average American male is about 5 foot 10, just for your information... (ages 20-30) ;-)

Gary Player, 5'6".

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 2367 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!