IGNORED

New Scramble Format

saevel25
Note: This thread is 3551 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This is an interesting new format that I will be playing in this year.

4x2 Scramble, and here is how it works.

You have a 4 man team, but you must also pick 2-two man teams with in the 4 man group.

Tee Off: So all four players of Team 1 tee off, pick the best ball (like a typical scramble)

2nd Shot: Now the two man teams play a scramble in from this spot. So each player plays an approach shot. Team 1A will take the best shot out of their two players, and Team 1B will take the best shot out of their two shots.

How is the score determined?

Well, you take the best sub team score. So, lets say Team 1A gets a par and Team 1B gets a bogey. You would put down a zero (Even Par).

Now as a twist the 2nd team can help on the score on birdies or better. So lets say you are on a par 5. Team 1A gets a birdie (-1), and Team 1B gets an eagle (-2), your team score for that hole would be a (-3).

So you can get a bonus on good play. If one team blows up, lets say double bogey (+2), and the other team gets a birdie (-1), then the team score would be a (-1) for that hole.

I think this is an interesting twist on a scramble. I think it will lower the number of birdies, just because you have only 2 people putting. Lets say one team is out of the hole, going to get double. The other team is putting for birdie from 20 feet. Lets assume they make 10% of these. That would mean they would miss 81% of the time. A team of 4 would only miss a 20 foot putt 66% of the time. So less putts will be made, and less greens will be hit. Should be interesting to see how low the scores get.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sound interesting.  Let us know how it goes.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

If they're going to go through all that, why not just play real golf?  2 low balls of the 4 or some such thing.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

If they're going to go through all that, why not just play real golf?  2 low balls of the 4 or some such thing.....

No clue, but I think they wanted to keep the scramble part, but spice it up a bit. I'll let you guys know how it works out.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

I like it. I will propose it for our league ending scramble.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Sounds like half way between a scramble and a shamble.

Yea, that was my first thought as well. Should be interesting. My group is trying to decide how to split up the two man teams right now.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I think this is an interesting twist on a scramble. I think it will lower the number of birdies, just because you have only 2 people putting. Lets say one team is out of the hole, going to get double. The other team is putting for birdie from 20 feet. Lets assume they make 10% of these. That would mean they would miss 81% of the time. A team of 4 would only miss a 20 foot putt 66% of the time. So less putts will be made, and less greens will be hit. Should be interesting to see how low the scores get.

Generally I agree with you, but for really good golfers scores would be lower if the answer to the question below is -2 as I think it is easier to make double birdie rather than eagle for good players on many holes.

Now as a twist the 2nd team can help on the score on birdies or better. So lets say you are on a par 5. Team 1A gets a birdie (-1), and Team 1B gets an eagle (-2), your team score for that hole would be a (-3).

What if both 1 A & 1 B make birdies?  -2 or -1?

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Generally I agree with you, but for really good golfers scores would be lower if the answer to the question below is -2 as I think it is easier to make double birdie rather than eagle for good players on many holes.

What if both 1 A & 1 B make birdies?  -2 or -1?

-2, you get to keep the good scores, so anything that is birdie or better for the 2nd group. 2nd group being, not the lowest score on the hole.

Well, even taking 4 A players, lets say who hit 50% of their GIR. Normal scramble they would hit about 94% of the greens. If you keep it at 2 players, they only hit 75% of the greens. Same with putting. There is a big drop off in ability to hit greens and make putts with only two people compared to 4 people. So I think the odds of making two birdies are less. I do think better players will go double birdie on the par 5's, but par 4's and par 3's would be a lot of pars and maybe birdies.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I play in a league with about 20 guys of varying ability. We rotate players every week trying to have each group with an A B C and D player. We have always played scrambles. Lately some have wanted to just play "real golf" and see what score they would shoot. Does anyone know how we can do that and still bet on the outcome. We're all retired and nobody has an official USGA handicap. Thanks.

-2, you get to keep the good scores, so anything that is birdie or better for the 2nd group. 2nd group being, not the lowest score on the hole.

Well, even taking 4 A players, lets say who hit 50% of their GIR. Normal scramble they would hit about 94% of the greens. If you keep it at 2 players, they only hit 75% of the greens. Same with putting. There is a big drop off in ability to hit greens and make putts with only two people compared to 4 people. So I think the odds of making two birdies are less. I do think better players will go double birdie on the par 5's, but par 4's and par 3's would be a lot of pars and maybe birdies.

I agree if you are talking about players who only hit 50% of their greens.  By "really good players" I was meaning scratch and better.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

I play in a league with about 20 guys of varying ability. We rotate players every week trying to have each group with an A B C and D player. We have always played scrambles. Lately some have wanted to just play "real golf" and see what score they would shoot. Does anyone know how we can do that and still bet on the outcome. We're all retired and nobody has an official USGA handicap. Thanks.

You can play 2 or 4 man best ball. Another thing to look at with groups that don't have handicaps is to play a Callaway tournament. Do a Google search for the rules. It's kind of weird, but anybody regardless of their handicap could win.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

You can play 2 or 4 man best ball. Another thing to look at with groups that don't have handicaps is to play a Callaway tournament. Do a Google search for the rules. It's kind of weird, but anybody regardless of their handicap could win.

Thanks for the reply. We're trying to keep everyone in the group happy so we may have to get creative.

Now all the cheats can claim two eagles on the par 5's. Prepare for some -25s

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Now all the cheats can claim two eagles on the par 5's. Prepare for some -25s

I think cheating is part of the rules in scrambles, I think alternate shot would be a cool twist after the tee shot.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

I think cheating is part of the rules in scrambles, I think alternate shot would be a cool twist after the tee shot.

I saw one team once win a scramble by shooting in the 40's. It's because that team bought a lot of "string" that let you basically call your shot good if it got close enough. They bought enough that all they had to do was get within 10 feet on each hole to say that they holed out on the scorecard.

I saw one team once win a scramble by shooting in the 40's. It's because that team bought a lot of "string" that let you basically call your shot good if it got close enough. They bought enough that all they had to do was get within 10 feet on each hole to say that they holed out on the scorecard.

One of my playing partners kept on, and on, and on leaving putts about 2 inches short last week. :doh:

I told him it was too bad he wasn't playing in one of those deals where you get a piece of string. Even with a foot of string he would have shot 5 or 6 strokes better. ;-)

Played a tournament with a 3 foot "Magic String". Winning team shot 46. A friend played a scramble like the OP described. Four scratch golfers. Shot -31. That's a 41.

Note: This thread is 3551 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!