IGNORED

Concealed Carry on The Course

EZPZ
Note: This thread is 3594 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

In Washington where I live private property owners can put up signage that states "no firearms". It is not illegal to cross that sign with a gun but you could be trespassed if the owner chose to. I respect private property owners wishes therefore wouldn't carry on said property. municipal golf courses in washington cannot enforce a no firearm policy as they are public places.

If you are forced to defend your life like my cousin.  Do you realize he had to go to court and prove that he had no other choice, but to take a life.  The court found that his actions were justified.  His legal bills nearly bankrupt the whole family.  You can't afford the legal bills after protecting yourself or your family.  Sometimes your family might be better off if you are killed.

What exactly do you need the gun for in this situation?

The next fox or dog might not be so easily cowered. :doh: Or, in another scenario, any of the thousands of illegal criminals Bozo the clown is letting loose in US cities might decide that an isolated golf cart filled with older people is an easy target for theft or worse!  Since the average response  time now in major cities for a police response is about 15 minutes in cities, and golf-courses are a little farther out, I would rather not trust the police to be my personal bodyguard at a moment notice. Bozo seemed unconcerned about the ambassador in Benghazi and the brave soldiers dying to protect him so I rather doubt he cares about me! Last year, over 2500 crimes were prevented by law-abiding citizens legally armed as I am. I am also a DAD that golfs with my daughter from time to time-or my sons-or my wife-feel me dad?

Patrick

MGS Fan

The next fox or dog might not be so easily cowered.  Or, in another scenario, any of the thousands of illegal criminals Bozo the clown is letting loose in US cities might decide that an isolated golf cart filled with older people is an easy target for theft or worse!  Since the average response  time now in major cities for a police response is about 15 minutes in cities, and golf-courses are a little farther out, I would rather not trust the police to be my personal bodyguard at a moment notice. Bozo seemed unconcerned about the ambassador in Benghazi and the brave soldiers dying to protect him so I rather doubt he cares about me! Last year, over 2500 crimes were prevented by law-abiding citizens legally armed as I am. I am also a DAD that golfs with my daughter from time to time-or my sons-or my wife-feel me dad?

While I agree that owning a gun is not a bad thing, our police response times are only 5 minutes. They're fast. It would be only a couple minutes if they're patrolling the area.

The only thing about a gun on a golf course is that the projectile does not choose it's targets. It just kind of goes where ever it is pointed.

Try using a Tazer instead for these situations. I'm sure it will work on a 25 pound fox, I know it works on coyotes (not from personal experience).

http://www.taser.com/products/self-defense-products/taser-x2-defender

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If I carry a gun to golf course, I am more likely to shoot myself b/c I can't !@#$!@#$ handle humiliation of scoring a 10 on 560 yard par 5 hole that I played 100 times already.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

While I agree that owning a gun is not a bad thing, our police response times are only 5 minutes.

When seconds count , the police are only minutes away...... ;-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

If you are forced to defend your life like my cousin.  Do you realize he had to go to court and prove that he had no other choice, but to take a life.  The court found that his actions were justified.  His legal bills nearly bankrupt the whole family.  You can't afford the legal bills after protecting yourself or your family.  Sometimes your family might be better off if you are killed.

LOL but a very likely scenario.

Instead of a gun, we should learn to use a wedge to bash one's head.   Drunks are not very well coordinated.   Of course, if you are also drunk, it's a fair game.  In that case, one with heavier & longer wedge wins.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

The next fox or dog might not be so easily cowered.  Or, in another scenario, any of the thousands of illegal criminals Bozo the clown is letting loose in US cities might decide that an isolated golf cart filled with older people is an easy target for theft or worse!  Since the average response  time now in major cities for a police response is about 15 minutes in cities, and golf-courses are a little farther out, I would rather not trust the police to be my personal bodyguard at a moment notice. Bozo seemed unconcerned about the ambassador in Benghazi and the brave soldiers dying to protect him so I rather doubt he cares about me! Last year, over 2500 crimes were prevented by law-abiding citizens legally armed as I am. I am also a DAD that golfs with my daughter from time to time-or my sons-or my wife-feel me dad?

That's all well and good ... but my point is why use an example to prove a point when not only does it not prove the point, in actuality it does precisely the opposite?

A gun was clearly not needed to stop that fox, or that guy with the 9-iron, or the crazy guy from the third story, so why try and use them to make the case?

However, I am not that certain you can bring any firearms into a public location in either CA nor even AZ. I bet it depends upon the course too.

You can absolutely pack in public places with a CCW which, as I stated before, are real easy to get in my county. That's what the whole deal is all about. Nobody needs a permit to have a gun in their home. What you can't do in a lot of places here in CA is walk around with it in plain sight.

There are certain places where firearms are specifically prohibited -- the "gun-free zones" (i.e. target-rich environments).

John

That's all well and good ... but my point is why use an example to prove a point when not only does it not prove the point, in actuality it does precisely the opposite?

A gun was clearly not needed to stop that fox, or that guy with the 9-iron, or the crazy guy from the third story, so why try and use them to make the case?

Do you practice ignoring the context of a quote because you are great at it!

I wrote: My interest in carrying and gun selection came after last year when an apparent rabid fox made a beeline for us.  I am not very fast and found myself with my hybrid in my hand and towel rapped around my left forearm! :w00t: We shouted and swung and drove it off. Later it was put down! We also have had bear reports and wild dog (odd Pit-bull/Rottweiler) (we are near a major city)reports in the area so I now have a pistol that fires .410 solid shot or triple-aught buck, Colt .45, and .45 ACP-on the course I vary the sabot rounds with .45 colt-the sabot cannot really fly just tumble but the Colt ammo is stout. I never want to meet a bear or get rabies and the fox helped me focus on the fact that I am no longer 19!

You chose to ignore the facts about my home course being dicey for a variety of reasons and did so to make one inane point? Let me use small words s o y o u can follow along-a pit-bull does not fear a 9 iron, neither does a b e a r. The f o x was rabid and killed a day later to avoid it attacking anyone but that took 24 hours. I don't m o v e quickly. According to your logic, if that is what you choose to call your poor reasoning, getting away once from danger, in a dangerous location in a city , means that no other problem will ever befall anyone!

Could a rabid fox be part of an eco-system with other rabid animals? Why yes, it could! Why take the chance on some kid letting his pit-bull roam around? Ah, I should play somewhere else where everything is perfect and serene? Why cede the neighborhood to the problems? And where is Nirvana?

Patrick

MGS Fan

[QUOTE name="inthehole" url="/t/75670/concealed-carry-on-the-course/234#post_1018115"] [/QUOTE] My interest in carrying and gun selection came after last year when an apparent rabid fox made a beeline for us.  I am not very fast and found myself with my hybrid in my hand and towel rapped around my left forearm! :w00t:    We shouted and swung and drove it off. Later it was put down! We also have had bear reports and wild dog (odd Pit-bull/Rottweiler) (we are near a major city)reports in the area so I now have a pistol that fires .410 solid shot or triple-aught buck, Colt .45, and .45 ACP-on the course I vary the sabot rounds with .45 colt-the sabot cannot really fly just tumble but the Colt ammo is stout. I never want to meet a bear or get rabies and the fox helped me focus on the fact that I am no longer 19!

I live in an extreme rabies risk county. Personally I have put down three rabid raccoons and one rabid possum. I read that although the preventative shots have been reduced to three shots over a period of three weeks, there has only been 4 known cases of humans surviviving the onset of rabies symptoms. That is a high morbidity rate.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

I'm fairly certain your cousin would say it was better to be judged by 6, than carried by 6 ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

I wrote: My interest in carrying and gun selection came after last year when an apparent rabid fox made a beeline for us.  I am not very fast and found myself with my hybrid in my hand and towel rapped around my left forearm!    We shouted and swung and drove it off. Later it was put down! We also have had bear reports and wild dog (odd Pit-bull/Rottweiler) (we are near a major city)reports in the area so I now have a pistol that fires .410 solid shot or triple-aught buck, Colt .45, and .45 ACP-on the course I vary the sabot rounds with .45 colt-the sabot cannot really fly just tumble but the Colt ammo is stout. I never want to meet a bear or get rabies and the fox helped me focus on the fact that I am no longer 19!

You chose to ignore the facts about my home course being dicey for a variety of reasons and did so to make one inane point? Let me use small words s o y o u can follow along-a pit-bull does not fear a 9 iron, neither does a b e a r. The f o x was rabid and killed a day later to avoid it attacking anyone but that took 24 hours. I don't m o v e quickly. According to your logic, if that is what you choose to call your poor reasoning, getting away once from danger, in a dangerous location in a city , means that no other problem will ever befall anyone!

Could a rabid fox be part of an eco-system with other rabid animals? Why yes, it could! Why take the chance on some kid letting his pit-bull roam around? Ah, I should play somewhere else where everything is perfect and serene? Why cede the neighborhood to the problems? And where is Nirvana?

So instead of calling the proper authorities, like animal control, you took action and discharged a gun illegally to take out a fox. Good job, you are one of the fools who doesn't deserve to have a gun, clearly you have no clue what the concept of a threat is. I can understand a bear, but to go and hunt down a rabid fox is just plain stupid.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

When seconds count , the police are only minutes away......

For those applications, there are plenty of non-lethal alternatives.

That said, I do have weapons, but only for entertainment purposes. I would rather pull a crossbow with a rabbit blunt or a Tazer to disable anyone without the noise and danger posed by discharging a firearm. Most of my neighbors are my friends after all. :beer:

Guns have their place, but I prefer not to use them for personal protection and on the golf course.

Which brings us to the thread topic:

A golf course is the last place I would fire any weapon. First of all, it is a place I go to relax, not have an altercation with other golfers.

Just listening to two drill instructors yelling at each other for 15 minutes yelling so loudly that people could hear them clearly from 150 yards away on a grassy field, was enough of a "bad" situation for me. If I hear a weapon discharged, that would pretty much be the last time I go to that course.

Some personal encounters:

Some drunk guy yelled at me after I hit "into" them. In reality my stray shot hit a cart path and went off in their general direction. I just brushed it off and he just drove on, with no incident. I think I posted this incident sometime this year. No big deal.

Another man threatened me and my son and a Pastor and his son, and we just blew it off and continued the conversation as if the threat was not made. We scoffed at him afterwards in passing, but again, no big deal. The kids hit near him, about 10 yards away. He got upset. He got over it after our talk.

Even today, one of my foursome yelled at another member of my foursome for not playing when he was ready. The person yelled at was also a senior and just let is slide.

This type of thing happens all the time when you have hotheads on the course, tempers rise with bad play, but I'm not going to let this ruin my day and make me change the way I do things (like carry a concealed weapon).

Every encounter has a peaceful or if it comes to "that" there is always a non-lethal solution. It just seems so easy to take those alternatives, even if you're not a big dude like @Golfingdad . :beer:

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I wrote: My interest in carrying and gun selection came after last year when an apparent rabid fox made a beeline for us.  I am not very fast and found myself with my hybrid in my hand and towel rapped around my left forearm!    We shouted and swung and drove it off. Later it was put down! We also have had bear reports and wild dog (odd Pit-bull/Rottweiler) (we are near a major city)reports in the area so I now have a pistol that fires .410 solid shot or triple-aught buck, Colt .45, and .45 ACP-on the course I vary the sabot rounds with .45 colt-the sabot cannot really fly just tumble but the Colt ammo is stout. I never want to meet a bear or get rabies and the fox helped me focus on the fact that I am no longer 19!

According to all the bleeding hearts all you need to do is show that fox your black belt in karate or tell him a joke, or apologize to the fox. rabid animals

respect all these. so do drug addicts and robbers ! The only people that need guns are law enforcement............... wait what do they need them for ?

Derrek

Righty in the left trap

So instead of calling the proper authorities, like animal control, you took action and discharged a gun illegally to take out a fox. Good job, you are one of the fools who doesn't deserve to have a gun, clearly you have no clue what the concept of a threat is. I can understand a bear, but to go and hunt down a rabid fox is just plain stupid.

You might need to read a little slower there, man. He said they were able to run it off and that it was killed the next day. He makes no mention of it being killed by him, nor does he mention discharging a gun.

And no, hunting down a rabid fox is not "just plain stupid" if you know what you're doing.

• Upvote 1

John

No where in his post does it say he discharged a firearm or hunted down a fox........... who stupid ?

• Upvote 1

Derrek

Righty in the left trap

Note: This thread is 3594 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!